main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Rules Clarifications?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Star Wars Pocketmodel TCG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: Rules Clarifications?   PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote

Hi,

Just bought some (base set I think?) packs/boxes and Order 66 boxes/packs supercheap at a local gaming store.

I watched the YouTube video for instructions and read through the included paperwork but am unclear about a few things. Is there a place where rules are clarified?

For example:

1. When a combat card is destroyed, does it count as one of the 3 "objectives" to destroy? Or do you have to destroy three cards that SAY Objective on them to win?

2. The grid in the CONTESTED zone is pretty much useless, it seems. There's only 3 zones in the whole game and you move 1 zone at a time if you move your unit so... what's the grid for besides design?

Overall I think the game turned out to be a bit too simple in terms of strategy - in a space game, I'd like more maneuvering than the game gives you. Maybe a house rule can be that you have to move one square at a time before you get to opponent home zone (though it might make game take too long and get boring).

Overall, I like the models very much - pretty hard to build! But would like the game to involve a bit more strategy through maneuvering.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote

1. When a combat card is destroyed, does it count as one of the 3 "objectives" to destroy? Or do you have to destroy three cards that SAY Objective on them to win?

a combat card in place of an objective counts as an objective

2. The grid in the CONTESTED zone is pretty much useless, it seems. There's only 3 zones in the whole game and you move 1 zone at a time if you move your unit so... what's the grid for besides design?

grid is for the looks.

I have a pdf file with the official FAQ from july 2007 (version 4.1). To my knowledge this is the most actual version of the official FAQ. If you PM me your e-mail address, I will sent it to you.
ahoy_scott
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote

I picked up this game too, as the models were decent and best of all, cheap. After reading through the official rules, I was somewhat disappointed. The rules for the game as written were different than what I'd envisioned when I bought the packs. Not bad per se, but definitely different. I was looking for a minis game straight up, not the card/minis combo this turned out to be.

I have since found some free downloads that have minis rules that will work with this game. I forget exactly where I'd read these suggested rulesets ... parhaps "The Miniatures Page"?

Anyway, the two sets I picked up were called "Red Chickes Rising" and GOBS. I haven't yet had time to play - or even read - either ruleset, but they were recommended for WIzkids Star Wars pocketmodels.

Consider checking them out for yourself, too.

This wasn't the thread that set me to downloading those rulesets, but just came up in a google search and looks like a great resource.

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/sci-fi.html

With the GOBS rules, you'll also want to look for a file titled "GOBS Famous Fleets (Star Wars ship stats)"
ding73ding

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:26 am Reply with quote

Yeah I went thru the same process, bought them for the models and was disappointed the rules were more like card games (Magic the Gathering) rather than board games (Warhammers). Actually this game is so card games like, the plastic models seem secondary (in gaming value) to the paper cards.

Long ago I gave up on the game so I traded many good cards for models that I like. Now I have a fleet of vehicles but neither a decent game nor human opponents, sad...

The freewargamesrules link is very nice, but those games are a bit to difficult for my wife and pre-teen girls. Maybe if I can devise a Risk-like game with these pieces I can get them to play...
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: Give the game a chance   PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote

ding73ding wrote:
Yeah I went thru the same process, bought them for the models and was disappointed the rules were more like card games (Magic the Gathering) rather than board games (Warhammers). Actually this game is so card games like, the plastic models seem secondary (in gaming value) to the paper cards.

The cards merely act as the random and strategic element of the game. Originally it was conceived that the game would be similar to the Aces or the Pirates games. The unit bases were even designed with hex shapes for that reason. However, because Lucas, Ltd. wanted to keep the game from becoming a niche genre for basically only adult hobbyists, it was redesigned to have the three zones of battle in order to keep it from taking several hours to play.

The cards allow the units to play out battles like scenes from the film and only provide bonuses to the units. Otherwise, the units are the main focus and can battle even without using cards, since the battle is determined using dice rolls.

Even so, like ahoy_scott mentioned, there are alternate rules that are available using custom scenarios and movement. You can check out what fan have contributed here:
Star Wars PocketModels Community Forums > SWPM Gaming > Custom Creations

Here is an example post:

New way to play SWPM as "Minis"

There is also an online game that was created so tht players could still enjoy the game even if no opponents were available in their area. Initially only supporting the Base and Ground Assault releases, the UK version is being updated to include the sets that were published after those two. A US sister site of the game is now being developed and will experiment with a new format.

Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online (UK)

Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online (US) (still under development)
ding73ding

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Hey thanks for a very informative post. Looks like there are a few rule sets and some play testing already. Quite cool!

And I hardly knew swpm.com is so alive (or not dead, at least). I'm gonna register there now.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Star Wars Pocketmodel TCG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: