FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Custom Ships
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 112, 113, 114  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote

Love the idea of bow chasers. I also love that you used the Nox to model them.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
Love the idea of bow chasers. I also love that you used the Nox to model them.

Thanks. I had to think about the point cost but I think limiting the arcs to straight lines (more realistic) and not letting players shoot Exploding Shot at L+L range makes it less powerful in a good way.

I just got a bunch of F&S stuff and built my two of my three new bombardiers and just started playing around. The Nox was the biggest ship I built - three masters like Le Marseillais (an underrated ship I might add) have trouble carrying those big artillery pieces attached to the bow! Smile I thought about making two different equipment, one for smaller ships (1 bow chaser for 3 points) and the 5 pointer for ships with 4+ masts, but you wouldn't have to actually use the props as I did so it doesn't really matter. Like I said, I just started playing around and liked what I came up with.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote

Two new five masters for the Cursed;

King Jones
18 pts. Cursed
Masts: 5
Cargo: 3
Cannon: ? -all 2's
Movement: S+S
Ability- Eternal, Extended Range

Flavor-When Davy Jones returned to the sea, this ship appeared from the fog, and unleashed his fury upon the waves.

Sea Devil Link: Davy Jones
20 pts. Cursed
Cargo: 5
Movement:L
Ability- If this ship is assigned a captain crew, she gets +L to her base move

Flavor-Jones's new flagship, the Sea Devil is tuned to one purpose: to annihilate all who oppose the Cursed, and Davy Jones

Davy Jones Link: Sea Devil
11 pts. Cursed
Ability-Captain Once per turn, give +2 to any die roll for any ship in your fleet

Flavor-Betrayed and thought destroyed, Davy Jones has returned. With his return, the Cursed will embark on a new era of terror and destruction.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:

King Jones
18 pts. Cursed

Flavor-When Davy Jones returned to the sea, this ship appeared from the fog, and unleashed his fury upon the waves.

Probably should cost at least 20 points considering the Flying Dutchman and Monkey's Paw. The King Jones is twice as fast as the Dutchman and has much better abilities. I would also recommend making her cannons all S-range unless you make some L and add some kind of caveat to the ER ability (maybe hitting on only a 5-6 rather than 3-6).

Quote:
20 pts. Cursed

Flavor-Jones's new flagship, the Sea Devil is tuned to one purpose: to annihilate all who oppose the Cursed, and Davy Jones

Nice. I would maybe consider giving her a base move of S just so she doesn't lap almost every other Cursed ship at L+L+S. I would be tempted to use her as a hybrid or gold runner rather than a gunship lol.

Quote:
11 pts. Cursed
Ability-Captain Once per turn, give +2 to any die roll for any ship in your fleet

Flavor-Betrayed and thought destroyed, Davy Jones has returned. With his return, the Cursed will embark on a new era of terror and destruction.

Very nice! I like that you made him a real captain. That second ability reminds me of some of the named crew abilities from my custom set.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:

King Jones
18 pts. Cursed

Probably should cost at least 20 points considering the Flying Dutchman and Monkey's Paw. The King Jones is twice as fast as the Dutchman and has much better abilities. I would also recommend making her cannons all S-range unless you make some L and add some kind of caveat to the ER ability (maybe hitting on only a 5-6 rather than 3-6).

Quote:
20 pts. Cursed

Nice. I would maybe consider giving her a base move of S just so she doesn't lap almost every other Cursed ship at L+L+S. I would be tempted to use her as a hybrid or gold runner rather than a gunship lol.

Quote:
11 pts. Cursed

Very nice! I like that you made him a real captain. That second ability reminds me of some of the named crew abilities from my custom set.

I didn't realize it when I started posting ships here, but all of them are from my own fantasy set, which heavily favors the Cursed. As such most of the Cursed pieces I'm formulating are going to be cheaper and faster than any previous cursed pieces. Probably Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I didn't realize it when I started posting ships here, but all of them are from my own fantasy set, which heavily favors the Cursed. As such most of the Cursed pieces I'm formulating are going to be cheaper and faster than any previous cursed pieces. Probably Very Happy Evil or Very Mad

I'd love to see the full list at once someday! My custom set is focused on the Napoleonic Wars and therefore heavily favors England.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now for a new piece that isn't in my custom set but was designed for use in the RISK game. I wasn't able to use it because there wasn't nearly enough room, but I'd like to try it in a scenario someday (or perhaps in a overworld-type situation in a future RISK game).

(HMS) Diamond Rock

Faction Affiliation: England
Type: Fort
Point Value: 5 gold
Cannons: 2L, 2L
Ability: Extended Range. This fort ignores the first two hits it takes each turn as long as it has both of its flags.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote

Cool fort mate. I saw the rule set for that risk game on your new site, very interesting I'm going to have to try that at some point. I've also tried a few empire of century games, made my own rule set, and have played several dry-runs to get a feel for it. The actual game will take place at some pint near the end of summer. Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Cool fort mate. I saw the rule set for that risk game on your new site, very interesting I'm going to have to try that at some point. I've also tried a few empire of century games, made my own rule set, and have played several dry-runs to get a feel for it. The actual game will take place at some pint near the end of summer. Very Happy

Really? Shocked That's awesome!

How long did your CotE (Century of the Empires) games last? Mine was something like 62 turns over 3 weeks with the game being called (gold taken out making it a deathmatch) after around 2 weeks.

Feel free to post your rule set here and/or at BoardGameGeek!

Since you've been experimenting you know what you're doing, but I would still caution you and warn that either game (RISK or CotE) takes a LONG time. Laughing I can almost guarantee that you'll need some kind of time limit/automatic deathmatch unless you can play for months on end (I wish I could) or some fleet is super aggressive from the start and sinks everybody before they can build up their fleets (not likely to happen and even less fun). Since the games are cumulative with gold being spent along the way, the game is literally limitless and could take an infinite amount of time. That being said, huge campaign games are generally when I've had the most fun playing Pirates (with some exceptions in hotly contested smaller games) and it really gets crazy with strategies and making it on a more realistic scale historically.

I get excited whenever I know I can play big games, so when I know I'm not alone I get really stoked! Very Happy

Make sure to keep us updated and take pictures if you can!

PS: This thread has so much content in it! It would be great if we could use some of these ideas in games! Thanks to cannonfury for starting it; have you playtested your custom builds since posting them?

PPS: I'll make cool posts for the other forts too but I'll let people digest these posts first lol. Cool
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote

I was actually inspired to play a CoE game after reading about it in your battle reports thread! Shocked ironically I had done something similar on my own about a year before I really got into this site and read your battle report. What I did was play a large game at the end of summer with my two brothers, to determine the best faction for a year. I chose England, and my brothers chose pirate and I think American. I barely won. Unfortunately my memory of the game is fuzzy.

Yes, I have play tested some of them since posting. I have play tested each of the Ironclads, the Ironsides is an absolute beast, not only with the Ironclad ability, but the two hits one mast ability as well. La Triumph has had a run, but I regrettably do not recall the game she was involved in well. My Revenant re-do has seen action in one of three CoE dry runs, helped me win as Cursed. I should mention that though the Phantom has been used, her true effectiveness come out, I think, when her linked crew is aboard her. As of this post, I have not yet made a cut out or card for Captain Shamshere. I have however, made one for Sebastian de Alva, who has seen much action as of late, primarily in the CoE dry runs.
The storm terrain has yet to be made and used, and only one of the 'Battleships' is in physical form. Also, the Cursed gold runner I made, while they do exist in physical form, I have yet to make a deck card for them and so they along with the HMS York have not yet been involved in an games. On a final note, La Muerta Rapida has been made, and a deck card made for her, however due to ruling in the CoE game, she has not seen any action.
Whew, that's a lot. Shocked
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, the dry runs I've played have lasted most of an afternoon, and well into a night on a weekend. Since there are three different players, the games have been long and interesting. I have considered taking pictures, but have not since I'm not sure how my brothers would feel about their faces popping up here and there.
To date there have been three dry run games. All factions have been used at least once, and Spain has been in almost every game. I might post more about them in the battle reports thread, where discussing them would be more appropriate.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Not sure about this one, but since Jones gets a re-do, his ship might as well get one as well.

Flying Dutchman
18 pts. Cursed
SR
Cargo:4
Cannon: 3S-2S-2S-2S-3S
Movement: L
Ability- Living Ship, Battleship

Flavor- Unbeknownst to Jones, the Dutchman has returned to the sea. Crewed by a fanatic rabble of worshipers, she searches relentlessly for her rightful master.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:

Ability- Living Ship, Battleship

Flavor- Unbeknownst to Jones, the Dutchman has returned to the sea. Crewed by a fanatic rabble of worshipers, she searches relentlessly for her rightful master.

Interesting twist on that story. Weird to think of DJ as lacking the Dutchman.

It would be useful to compile another thread where each person (especially cannonfury, xerecs and selvaxri) could make one big post outlining ALL of their keywords or new rulings, and then edit that original post as new ones are made. I already forgot what Living Ship does.

El Morro

Faction Affiliation: Spain
Type: Fort
Point Value: 8 gold
Cannons: 3L, 2L, 2S, 3L, 2S, 2L, 3L.
Ability: Ships do not block this fort’s line of fire. This fort’s L-range guns cannot be eliminated.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote

I agree that it is weird for him to not have the Dutchman, but then he disappeared after Oceans Edge, and the Dutchman wasn't in that expansion. I'll make a repost or an edit that explains living ship.
There was a fleet challenge I think, that supposed El Fantasma rebelled against Jones, my re-dos are following along that track, that Fantasma or some other Cursed ilk rebelled against Jones and disposed of him and the Dutchman. I think I'll make a story about it, like the ones from FS.

Also, that is a giant picture mate. Shocked
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote

Crazy idea: RETURN TO THE FROZEN NORTH Very Happy Junk and Galley ships were a mainstay after their inclusion, why not longships or the seldom played Icebreakers?

AES Melville *Arctic Expedition Ship*
Nat. American
Masts 4
Cannons 4S-4S-3S-2L
Cargo 4
Movement S+S
Icebreaker
Icebergs do not eliminate this ship's masts.
Whenever ~ rams an Icebreg, roll a d6. On a 6, take a random treasure from any Wild Island and load it onto this ship.
Rumor spread that Viking Kings were 'buried at sea' with their wealth. Someone theorized that those that didn't sink became frozen within the floes.

Frigid Wright
Nat. Cursed
Masts 3
Cannons 4S-4S-3L
Cargo 2
Movement S
Icebreaker
Whenever this ship rams an Iceberg, you may roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, instead you may move this ship to any other Iceberg.
Ancient magicks embedded in the ice allows those damned souls to transistion between the floes.

Froide Vengeance
Nat. Frencg
Masts 3
Cannons 3L-2S-4S
Cargo 3
Movement L
Icebreaker
This ship may tow Icebergs.
Still at war with the English, one general who skirted the floes of the northern waters concocted a hare-brained scheme- blockading the british fleet using the floes themselves.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Very cool. I like the Froide Vengeance, towing icebergs, wacky but possible interesting. What would happen if the towed iceberg was given a move action and moved right into the towing ship? Or since it's being towed would it still be possible to move it?
Do you have any longship designs?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Page 13 of 114

Jump to: