Guru
Guru

Subject: VASSAL module   PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote

VASSAL

the Pirates module

(go here if that module doesn't work)

VASSAL tutorial - How to use the VASSAL module for Pirates CSG

~~~~~

Well, I PM'd lord_denton about unlocking the old VASSAL module thread, but to speed things up:

The VASSAL module has been reborn!

This is a megapost. I'm hoping that people check this thread a lot, because I'll definitely continue to post here even if it directly follows my previous post.

I thought I'd start with this. After corresponding with B.J. over the past day or so, I got his permission to share part of his email:

bj_o wrote:
As for modifying the module, I have no problem with that if anyone can figure it out. Vassal isn't the most user friendly program. The module isn't compiled or anything like that, so anyone should be able to edit it as-is. Vassal has gone through a couple of versions since this was created, but I don't think that will cause any issues.

I doubt I'll return, since there's really not much I can contribute, but thanks!

Very Happy This is great news that apparently anyone can make edits to the module! Now it will be up to us to do so and improve it. Idea

Alright, here is the best sort of "Easy Startup Guide" I can do:

1. Download VASSAL and the Pirates module.
el_cazador wrote:
From Vassal, you must use File>Open Module> (wherever you have bj_0's .zip file)>the .zip folder. Vassal should recognize and load it.

3. VASSAL is now open. The Welcome screen doesn't appear to have its own window that you can minimize. You can create a username and password.
VASSAL User Guide wrote:
Select Play Mode: Under Select play mode, select one of the following:
a. Start a new game offline: choose this option for beginning an email game, playing
solitaire or hotseat, or to edit a module.
b. Look for a game online: to play on the Server or peer-to-peer.
c. Load a saved game: to play a previously saved game, or to review an email game log.

We're generally going to go with the middle option. Solitaire games would be the first option, while I would assume that the third option could work for campaign games that are saved.

5. Now you should be in the Main Room.

VASSAL User Guide wrote:
To join a game on the Server,
1. In Module Manager, in the
Module Library window,
double-click the module you
want to play. The Welcome
Wizard opens.
2. In the Welcome Wizard,
under Select play mode,
choose Look for a game
online, and then follow the
other Wizard steps as the module requires.
3. On the Toolbar, click Connect.
4. On the right side of the screen, the Active Games window opens. The Active Games window
displays the Main Room for the module, which is the default location for all players who are not currently in a game, and any active game rooms under that. Only rooms running the current module
are displayed. The number of players is displayed in parentheses.
5. Double-click the name of the game room you wish to join.
6. If prompted, enter the password for the room. (This password is generally different from your Vassal
password.)

I hope that helps! You can also private message other users on the same module, which was helpful to el_cazador and I when trying to get the game set up. However, once the game starts, it's easier to just use the chat at the top of the window, which is where the game transcript thread came from.

In terms of Pirates, the setup gets easier. Go to File at the top left, and then choose an Ocean Layout. It's helpful to adjust the top panel and drag it up so you can see more of the water. At the top of the window, there are numerous command buttons, and the telescopes are very useful. They can be used for a basic zoom in and out, but the middle one allows you to fit the game to different percentages. Also very useful, the button to the right of the telescopes (looks like a map) allows you to see an "overworld" view of the entire game in a smaller box, regardless of how much zoom there is on the overall game.

To the left of the zoom buttons, there is a camera button where you can save snapshots of the game. You could also use a Snipping Tool to grab screenshots of the zoomed in details.

The question mark to the left of the camera button brings you to B.J.'s help guide, which is very useful when you're starting out.

The treasure chest button allows you to have a "locker" where you can flip coins over without other players seeing them. Other than that, there is some transparency in the game - you can keep your crew "hidden", but other players can still flip them over. Also, when crew are hidden, their names still appear below the crew chip, as long as you've defined their properties.

bj_o wrote:
Setup
-Placing Islands
The islands are available within the game piece palette ("ship" button) on the "Terrain" tab. Just drag and place them where you want them, rotating if necessary. After placement, islands cannot be selected unless you SHIFT+CLICK on them.
-Placing Treasure
Each player can drag the coins they want from the game piece palette. Unique treasure must have its properties (CTRL-P) defined before placing them on the islands. Once all players have selected their coins, make sure they are all showing the backs and not the values (flip if necessary with CTRL-F). Then one player can select all the coins and stack them (CTRL-S), which send them all to a stack in the upper left corner. A player can then pull coins off one at a time and place them on different islands.

Also, you can edit a ship's properties in the pieces window before it's introduced to the game. In this way, you can eliminate masts and start fires before it even shows up in the ocean, making my fireship idea even more intriguing. Twisted Evil Also, forts can be on fire too! Very Happy

I think I'm going to slowly start investigating how to edit the module (Designer's Guide), and any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to add some more ship types.

I'm also going to start looking into the possibilities of playing a campaign game. I'm going to create a custom ocean as an experiment, to see how big I can make it. There can be up to 4 players on the module, but the side labeled "observer" seems to allow you to move other things around as well, so more than 4 can play although Players 5+ won't have their own Lockers to use.

EDIT (1/31/2016): Thanks to Vendari for bringing it to my attention that one of my later posts in this thread should be in the first post as well.

Last edited by a7xfanben on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:52 pm; edited 11 times in total
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote

I'll have to check this out. Once I've read through the thread and looked at VASSAL, I might be down.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote

I'm having some trouble even getting this thing set up.

First, I downloaded the Vassal program here.

I found the old French version of the Pirates module, but I don't know French. Smile

Then, I downloaded the folder from bj_o here.

How do I connect the two? (assuming that's necessary)

Any more help or input to this thread would be great!

flungus wrote:
This strikes me as an excellent way to hold an ongoing campaign game.

Idea
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
I'm having some trouble even getting this thing set up.

First, I downloaded the Vassal program here.

I found the old French version of the Pirates module, but I don't know French. Smile

Then, I downloaded the folder from bj_o here.

How do I connect the two? (assuming that's necessary)

Any more help or input to this thread would be great!

flungus wrote:
This strikes me as an excellent way to hold an ongoing campaign game.

Idea

From Vassal, you must use File>Open Module> (wherever you have bj_0's .zip file)>the .zip folder. Vassal should recognize and load it.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to make an ocean right now. Laughing
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: EL CAZADOR--HE GOT IT TO WORK A BIT   PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote

I spoke too soon! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Mr. Green

xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote

Ahh, I see you used a custom. I hadnt thought of that, this could be a fantastic way to 'Playtest' custom pieces. I will have to look into this now.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Ahh, I see you used a custom. I hadnt thought of that, this could be a fantastic way to 'Playtest' custom pieces. I will have to look into this now.

Idea Yes, great point! I didn't know you could do that. Very Happy

Thanks el_cazador! I'll look into things more tomorrow; I'm getting excited about this. Very Happy

Edit: Also, @xerecs, I assume you saw the part I put in quotes from the original thread about campaign games? Maybe we could figure out how to do an Economy style game! If it's all virtual, we could simply play an hour or two a week for years on end! Shocked Twisted Evil Very Happy
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:

Idea Yes, great point! I didn't know you could do that. Very Happy

Thanks el_cazador! I'll look into things more tomorrow; I'm getting excited about this. Very Happy

Edit: Also, @xerecs, I assume you saw the part I put in quotes from the original thread about campaign games? Maybe we could figure out how to do an Economy style game! If it's all virtual, we could simply play an hour or two a week for years on end! Shocked Twisted Evil Very Happy

Indeed we could, no horrible accidents possible. It would be something all right, especially if we get it to be a six player event. Can you imagine a six player economy game? Shocked Very Happy
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote

I'd be interested in that if my custom set is finished. That has higher priority at the moment. Very Happy

I wonder if Des Anges and I could do an "economy-lite." The issue would be leaving ships in position when we break and resume, which VASSAL would fix. He'd also have access to all of the ships, as opposed to his limited collection!
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote

I'm totally interested in trying it, Ben. Add me on Skype as phoenix.gravin.

Last edited by captain_vendari on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote

This file contains both VASSAL and the Pirates module for easy download.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
I'm totally interested in trying it, Ben. Add me on Skype as phoenix.gravin.

Got it, I added you. I'll also edit my first post in this thread to include your link.

@el_cazador: Thanks a ton for the advice. I've got it up and running with the correct module, now I just need to spend some time messing around to figure it out, though I'll probably ask more questions lol.

Is anyone else interested at all, even if they can't do anything in the near future?

This looks very promising; I can't wait to make progress!

Wow, you can go to File-Preferences-Chat Window-Chat Window Font and change the font to Windlass!! Shocked Cool

I'm going to post about this on BGG, Pojo, and the subreddit! Idea Very Happy
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote

I'm interested, but I prob cant do anything in the near future, busy with stuff in general. But I'm definitely down for this.
dakmor
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote

So you were able to get it to work?

I have been held at sea by a vicious Jade Empire Queen. Wink

I don't remember much about using it, except that you have to set up every tile/island/piece in the game. By that I mean all game text for each piece. Maybe this has changed?

Were subs ever added?

Also, you should be able to save a game and then reopen it if all players have the same save file. Making campaigns much easier.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Exciting times are coming   PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote

Great to hear from you! Very Happy

dakmor wrote:
So you were able to get it to work?

With el_cazador's help, yes. Very Happy

Quote:
I have been held at sea by a vicious Jade Empire Queen. Wink

Glad to have you back! (I'll always remember you because you posted first in my very first thread at Pojo, which means that you were the first person to reply to any content of mine in the Pirates CSG community. Very Happy )

Quote:
I don't remember much about using it, except that you have to set up every tile/island/piece in the game. By that I mean all game text for each piece. Maybe this has changed?

Not that I can tell. bj_o hasn't come back with this thread, but there may be other ways of contacting him (not sure if I will). Does anyone know if one of us could edit the program, or does it have to come from bj_o?

Quote:
Were subs ever added?

Yeah I saw them when I was messing around a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Also, you should be able to save a game and then reopen it if all players have the same save file. Making campaigns much easier.

Yes, xerecs and I were getting very excited about that earlier in the thread. I played cannonfury's Economy Edition over the summer and xerecs played Sariouriel's Century of the Empires, simultaneously at times. (xerecs is playing Economy Edition this winter as well.)

I'll be able to check Vassal out again starting around 12/19 or 12/20. That's when I'll try to rally people even more and do more experimenting myself. I want to really get this going more than it has in the past! Idea
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: