main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Random Pirates Piece Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote

I see the point, besides didn't the flashback threads have a little bit of comparison in them, like the first one with the Halycon, comparing her to the HMS London?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I see the point, besides didn't the flashback threads have a little bit of comparison in them, like the first one with the Halycon, comparing her to the HMS London?

Indeed. However, whenever I look back at those threads, I'm stunned by how much I didn't comment and the general lack of discussion. It was exciting, but I guess the forum was a bit different back then. Also, after the first one it was generally expected to continue.
wantkrakens

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote

Wassup???????????????????????? Hows the old forum been going? I haven't been playing ships very much. What about u guys?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:

Indeed. However, whenever I look back at those threads, I'm stunned by how much I didn't comment and the general lack of discussion. It was exciting, but I guess the forum was a bit different back then. Also, after the first one it was generally expected to continue.
It could have been because I front-loaded too much with the write-ups for each, but the level of discussion was kind of disappointing. Much of it each time seemed to be centered around what was coming next, not what was there.

You should definitely pull some of those back up in this thread. It doesn't even have to be random, just pick the ones that warrant more discussion.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
It could have been because I front-loaded too much with the write-ups for each, but the level of discussion was kind of disappointing.

I wish I had posted more in those threads - I was still relatively new at the time and didn't post as much as I do now. Oh well.

Since I just used her, we could start with the Black Coral:

Black Coral
RtSS-016, Uncommon

Cursed
Masts: 4
Cargo: 4
Move: S+S
Cannons: 4S-3S-3S-4S

Ability: Secret Hold. This ship gains the Eternal keyword as long as she has a crew with the Captain keyword or “Captain” in its name.

Flavor: The haunting voice of a centuries-dead mariner echoes from within a heavy conch fossil kept on the deck, any captain on her powerless to do anything but follow its mysterious commands.

I like this ship as a hybrid. With captain/helmsman/oarsman you'll have 2 spaces left for gold at 21 points. The speed and cannons are enough to catch some enemy gold runners to steal their loot. Eternal makes the ship more expendable, so you could use it to distract an enemy gunship on a suicide run. It would be really nice if Secret Hold worked with Eternal, but that's just wishful thinking. Smile

You could beef the ship up with other crew, but I don't like leaving behind a rare keyword like Secret Hold. In addition, the ship is too expensive and mediocre for a normal gold runner role, hence why I think she works best as a hybrid (a mediocre one in general, but a good hybrid for the Cursed). Definitely an interesting ship though. A few L-range cannons or an extra cargo space would make this ship more competitive.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote

She has her uses as a secondary runner, if you place Sammy the Skull on her, he will link and not take up cargo space, and give you the Eternal, and still leave you with 4 spots to grab gold from an already explored, or contested island.

On an interesting note, her ability says "Crew with the 'Captain' in it's name." Does this mean that a crew that is not a captain, but had Captain in the name could come aboard and the ability would kick in? 0.0

My Cursed launched her late in CoEC along with a couple other Cursed RSS pieces, and the Coral performed better than some of her counterparts.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote

Xerecs' post was the 500th in this thread! Congratulations Lord Denton! Very Happy

(And this post should be the 60,000th in the history of MT!)
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Since I just used her, we could start with the Black Coral:

Black Coral
RtSS-016, Uncommon

Cursed
Masts: 4
Cargo: 4
Cannons: 4S-3S-3S-4S

Ability: Secret Hold. This ship gains the Eternal keyword as long as she has a crew with the Captain keyword or “Captain” in its name.

Flavor: The haunting voice of a centuries-dead mariner echoes from within a heavy conch fossil kept on the deck, any captain on her powerless to do anything but follow its mysterious commands.

Here's a repost of what I'd said the first time around:
woelf wrote:
This ship just screams "classic Cursed" to me. It's got some great parts and a nice gimmick, but when you put it all together it's maybe not so great. It seems to be shooting for a hybrid role split between combat and treasure running, but is somewhat lacking both areas. The cargo hold and base move are decent for a runner (especially a Cursed one), and Secret Hold adds an extra layer of protection once the treasure is on board, but 15 points is a lot to spend for a treasure ship unless you're getting something really great like the Hoist keyword or a massive cargo hold out of the deal. It's a little better at the combat role once you get a captain aboard, but those cannons could use some help; a +1 to cannons crew is almost an essential, even if that means poaching one from another nation.

This ship is trying too hard to do too much at once. It's not a bad ship, but instead of trying to be a hybrid it would have been much better if it had picked one direction or another. Drop Secret Hold and go full gunship, or set the trigger for the Eternal bonus to something better suited for a runner, like an Explorer, or better yet just give it Eternal directly.

Because of the way the ability is worded, it would be perfect if the Cursed had an equivalent to Capitan Alarico Castro that gave the "captain" bonus without spending points on the move&shoot ability. Too bad they don't, and would need to spend a minimum of 6 points and two cargo spaces to add him, and which point you're better off going with someone that's already Cursed.

DJC Sammy at least makes an interesting combo for the ship because he makes the ship well-suited for boarding attacks, and once you've got the opponent's treasure they're going to have a very hard time getting it back.

It's good to see that it worked well in your BR. It's a good example of making the best of what you've got, because it can be the basis of some very good setups. The problem is that it could be so much better with a more clear role.
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote

wantkrakens wrote:
Wassup???????????????????????? Hows the old forum been going? I haven't been playing ships very much. What about u guys?

Hey wantkrakens! I'm glad to see you post. I haven't seen you as much lately.

Looks like the forum has had an extremely active, strong and successful summer. Good job everybody! I'm super happy. Click on a random thread and you'll see many different ways of contributing to the game and to the website. Lots of passion and dedication. Speaking of which, have you considered trying a fleet or review challenge wantkrakens? I invite you to join one the next chance you get, if you'd like. Edit: No pressure to join up, of course.
wantkrakens

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote

@Selvexari are u still looking for a USS Mercury Windcatcher?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote

La Iberia

Despite the S speed, I like this ship and always have. She makes for a nice little hybrid/scout in larger games.
marhawkman

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote

it's very cheap, so it's not hard to find room for.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote

wantkrakens wrote:
@Selvexari are u still looking for a USS Mercury Windcatcher?

yup.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote

I guess other people don't like the Iberia like I do, which is understandable. Laughing

In that case, let's go back to RtSS for the next one. I think it's possible we could have an in-depth discussion on the English native canoes and the Orphan at some point, but perhaps they need their own thread.

The Spanish certainly received some cool stuff from the set. What's even more fascinating is how well it works together.

Commandante Antonio de Silva
RtSS-011, Rare
Spanish
Ability: Captain. Musketeer.

Flavor: Still devoted to protecting the interests of the Crown, De Silva fights to forge a new era of prosperity for Spain.

To change it up in this thread a bit, why not try to form some combos? For example, the Rocinante is a bit more offensively minded than the Buscador: better cannons and the ability to not be pinned.

Rocinante
RtSS-005, Rare
Spanish
Masts: 3 (Hoist)
Cargo: 7
Cannons: 4S-4S-4S
Ability: Hoist. Secret Hold. This ship can't be pinned.

Flavor: The heroic vessel Rocinante launched from Spain amid a roar of applause. The hopes and dreams of a new age of Spanish glory go with her.

Simply add Silva and the (generally) obligatory helmsman. Now we have a ship moving S+S+S with 4 usable cannons (dull fangs as Cazador would put it) and a whopping 5 spaces still available for gold. It gets interesting with the secondary abilities, which are perfect for boarding. Soften the enemy gold runner up with a few shots, and then ram and board (you could try to use the hoist, but that's a bit trickier). Even if you miss the shots, the Rocinante can't be pinned, and then the stolen loot is safe in the secret hold! Very Happy

This combo works well since it saves a cargo space and effectively makes a gold runner a bit of a super-hybrid: capable of getting gold normally (hoist + 5 cargo spaces), stealing it from an opponent (secondary abilities plus decent size/durability for a gold runner), delaying an enemy gunship (not recommended but possible with a first strike), or even playing the role of gold ferry (using the hoist to grab and unload gold from faster treasure runners). This is one of the biggest strengths of the hoists - they're very good ships, arguably a little too good. This combo comes in at 26 points, which leaves almost a full 20 left over with a 0LR +5 crew.

But why stop there, especially when you have tons of other cool options available? Smile Throw aboard Dominic Freda, and +2 each coin you stole from your opponent! Twisted Evil

Or even consider the other double-ability Spanish crew from RtSS:

Sebastián Rojo
RtSS-027b, Common
Spanish
Ability: Marine. Once per turn, you can eliminate one of this ship’s crew to give her an extra action.

Flavor: Rojo’s past is steeped in blood. An expert at dealing with natives and policing those disloyal to Spain, Rojo has dedicated himself to ensure that the conquest of the South Pacific is successful.

This is where the Rocinante's point cost and cargo space comes in very handy - both allow for a lot of flexibility and support crew, while still leaving room for gold. Adding a captain, helmsman, and a few oarsmen would run it to around 34 points. Sac an oarsman on the way to a wild island, and the cargo space increases! Smile The guns still leave something to be desired, which could allow Roberto Santana to help out in a larger game. In the meantime, the Marine makes the ship considerably more dangerous, although remember that he'll only be able to fire once per turn regardless of the potential extra action from the sac ability.

If you really wanted to go crazy, add both de Silva AND Rojo, for a whopping 5 cannons! However, this would be quite expensive and wouldn't leave much room for sac crew.

This post has made me think of an idea for an MR contest: only review pieces from RtSS! Very Happy
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
I guess other people don't like the Iberia like I do, which is understandable. Laughing
Nice ability, nice cargo hold, great cannons, and a great price, but that base move of S is a killer. If the ship was Cursed it might still be okay, but Spain has so many other great ships around the same price (or just a point or two more) that the only reason to use Iberia is if you're got a large enough fleet total that you can afford to bring along a third- or fourth-tier treasure scow that can slowly pick up the scraps left behind while the good ships in your fleet move on to more important stuff.

Quote:
Commandante Antonio de Silva
RtSS-011, Rare
Spanish
Ability: Captain. Musketeer.

Flavor: Still devoted to protecting the interests of the Crown, De Silva fights to forge a new era of prosperity for Spain.
Captaineer is a really fun ability combo - I just wish it had appeared earlier in the game so it could see a little use. A discount of 1 point would have been especially nice, but isn't essential.

Quote:
For example, the Rocinante is a bit more offensively minded than the Buscador: better cannons and the ability to not be pinned.

Rocinante
RtSS-005, Rare
Spanish
Masts: 3 (Hoist)
Cargo: 7
Cannons: 4S-4S-4S
Ability: Hoist. Secret Hold. This ship can't be pinned.

Flavor: The heroic vessel Rocinante launched from Spain amid a roar of applause. The hopes and dreams of a new age of Spanish glory go with her.
Buscador always seemed kind of disappointing. It's not a bad ship, and the cost is great, but it pales in comparison to the excellent Frontier. Rocinante almost copies Frontier, but trades a cargo space for the ability to avoid pins. I'm not sure why that increases the overall cost instead of being a direct swap, especially considering Frontier also has a better cannon, but it's not that big of a deal. 7 cargo is still huge for any ship.

I don't think I'd bother with any version of de Silva on it, though. He needs to be on something that actually has teeth. Although, maybe if you intentionally put Wolves into the mix...

Quote:
Sebastián Rojo
RtSS-027b, Common
Spanish
Ability: Marine. Once per turn, you can eliminate one of this ship’s crew to give her an extra action.

Flavor: Rojo’s past is steeped in blood. An expert at dealing with natives and policing those disloyal to Spain, Rojo has dedicated himself to ensure that the conquest of the South Pacific is successful.
I love this ability combo, I just wish his cost was 2 or 3 points less.

While he'd be good on any gunship, he seems particularly well-suited to a treasure-runner where he can help it get to an island quickly while still providing protection, with the option to hop off to make room for treasure as needed. Or, keep him on board and burn off your explorer for a quicker run back home. In the meantime, he's another good excuse for putting Wolves in the treasure pool.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 34 of 37

Jump to: