main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Find Answers about Rules, Keywords and Other Questions Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote

I never said it was a good idea. Razz

It would be huge bucket of worms to have on a ship or crew, but mostly works if it's another UT.

You just have to figure out the various timing and interaction issues, like what's actually available to copy (anything face up?), whether it should remove itself if you copy a UT that removes itself (presumably yes), what happens if there's nothing to copy, what happens if the original disappears while it's being copied, etc....
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote

While looking through the main Yahoo group I found something funny... this is about as old as it gets.

Quote:
piranha
Pirates Rules Arbitrator

Updated Ruling: Captain's Ability
I've had to rethink this ability a little bit...

The Captain's ability states that you can move & shoot using the same move action.

This must happen before a Ram action happens! The Ram action happens immediately
after a ship resolved a move action. The ability to shoot is part of the move
action! Boarding only comes after ramming, so that too must happen after the
move action has been resolved. Towing also happens after the Captain's ability
resolves as part of the move action! However, the "shoot" must happen after any
Pinning action, because pinning is a means of ending your movement.

So...

You shoot before ramming, boarding & towing, but after pinning!

姫lease clarify
Does this mean that shooting can take place during the movement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Trilnar

piranha
Pirates Rules Arbitrator:

It happens at the end of the move action - after any pinnings!

菱appyHippy
Here is my take on the new rule...I hope this helps clear it up for someone...

Fact 1)
The captain lets you "move and then shoot" using the same move action.

Fact 2)
The Ram is suppose suppose to happen "Immediately AFTER" the ship resolves the move action.

Therefore...
...Since the SHOOTING is "PART OF THE MOVE ACTION"...and the RAM says it happens
immediately "AFTER" the ship resolves the Move Action.

Then I would have to say that technically - it would be...

1) Give the ship a move action
2) MOVE the ship
3) SHOOT(as part of the move action - because of the captain)

- now the move action is resolved -

4) RAM (immediately AFTER the move action is resolved) as a Free Action.
5) BOARD (immediately AFTER the ram is resolved) as a Free Action.

[Redflag- Since all the above is part of the Move Action and free actions permitted:
6. Ramming ship is now pinned.]

Hope that helps. I've tried it in a few games and it seems to be working fine.
It just takes a little thought to get use to it and think of new strategies.

I think this one is a good reinterpretation as the existing rules.

The document said November 2004. Shocked
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote

Captain Mysion on a Broadsides Attack ship- does a 6 on the Broadsides roll mean that each shot eliminates two masts; or is it for individual cannon rolls?
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote

selvaxri wrote:
Captain Mysion on a Broadsides Attack ship- does a 6 on the Broadsides roll mean that each shot eliminates two masts; or is it for individual cannon rolls?

From the code: "Broadsides Attack prevents the use of all other offensive abilities that could apply to the shoot action..."

So, his ability is ignored during a Broadsides.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote

I came across a bit of an odd situation while skimming an old BR.

Mysterious Island #12 is used to bring in Runes of Odin. The iceberg appears, and then Foul Winds is played.

a7xfanben wrote:
The MI that the Star of Siam docked at was the same as the others, and by rolling a 6, the Star had access to UT's from outside the game. This is one of the drawbacks of the AotL fleet. She picked Runes of Odin, which lets you bring in an iceberg that eliminates from the game the first ship that hits it, and then reverts to a normal iceberg. Using Foul Winds, the Norvegians threw all three Pirate one masters (since they were grouped together heading for the island that AotL was on) into the iceberg, eliminating the Banshee's Cry and dismasting both the Mermaid and the Jolly Mon, putting a serious dent into the hopes of the AotL fleet.

I think I played it correctly, but since the Foul Winds would technically move all ships at the same time, couldn't you eliminate more than one ship with the iceberg/UT?

How's that for a combo? Laughing
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:

I think I played it correctly, but since the Foul Winds would technically move all ships at the same time, couldn't you eliminate more than one ship with the iceberg/UT?

How's that for a combo? Laughing
The ships are moved in the same direction, but not necessarily as a single group, so only one suffers the full effect from the rune.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been answered before, and I've had plenty of specific questions about certain situations... but is there any standard way to resolve UT's in terms of order?

I've had ships dock at islands with tons of UT's, and usually resolve them in the most logical order possible (trying to apply all of them), with the exploring player choosing which effects get applied when if the UT doesn't specify.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
I'm sure this has been answered before, and I've had plenty of specific questions about certain situations... but is there any standard way to resolve UT's in terms of order?

I've had ships dock at islands with tons of UT's, and usually resolve them in the most logical order possible (trying to apply all of them), with the exploring player choosing which effects get applied when if the UT doesn't specify.
You have to look closely at the wording of when they trigger or what their effect is based on. The main thing to watch for is if they refer to when the UT is loaded versus when the UT is revealed, then check that timing against the Explore Action order of operations list at the end of the Pirate Code to determine which applies first.

I can't think of any specific examples, but if you do find two that seem to apply at precisely the same time but each would directly affect the result of the other, the player that found them can choose the order they apply.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote

A question on what order things happen in at the end of a multiplayer game:

1. Ship A has Monkey's Paw.
2. Let's pretend another ship has a face down UT.
3. Ship B docks home the final regular coin, ending the game.
4. On the same round of turns, Ship C docks home gold captured via Bonny Peel.

The Pirate Code wrote:
-The captured crew is only worth gold when it is unloaded; until that happens, it is worth zero gold.

Combined Set Rules wrote:
The game ends immediately when one of the following conditions has been met:
-All available gold has been unloaded to home islands.

I assume that immediately means immediately (before even any actions (including free ones) can be taken by the same fleet?). "Available gold" - does this ever include face up or face down UT's that aren't worth gold? (I assumed not)

Does the gold from Bonny Peel count?

I also assume all the answers would be the same if it wasn't a multiplayer game?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
I assume that immediately means immediately (before even any actions (including free ones) can be taken by the same fleet?).
Immediately means immediately. No one else gets a last turn, and even the current player cannot take any more actions, so if there's something else they wanted to do, they need to do it first.

The only situation where everyone gets an equal number of turns is if you're playing with a time limit. That way, when it's nearing the limit, a player can't stall to deny other players their last turns.

Quote:
"Available gold" - does this ever include face up or face down UT's that aren't worth gold? (I assumed not)
Face up UTs that do not have a gold value have no effect on the endgame.

Face up UTs that have a gold value, and all face down coins (standard or any UTs) are counted as "available gold", until they're unloaded or revealed to show they don't have a gold value.

Quote:
Does the gold from Bonny Peel count?
Captured crew are worthless unless you unload them.

Quote:
I also assume all the answers would be the same if it wasn't a multiplayer game?
Correct.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
1. Ship A has Monkey's Paw.

No effect on endgame.
Quote:
2. Let's pretend another ship has a face down UT.
3. Ship B docks home the final regular coin, ending the game.

The face down UT counts as "available gold", so it prevents the game from ending until it's unloaded or revealed.
Quote:
4. On the same round of turns, Ship C docks home gold captured via Bonny Peel.
As long as this happened before the last available gold was unloaded, it counts. Otherwise the captured crew are worth nothing.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
A random musing from the 8 fleet multiplayer game to officially conclude T1:

Quote:
<a7xfanben> - Having a house rule requiring AT LEAST an abandoned musketeer (if not two, or a custom abandoned marine heh) when using Wolves would be very interesting... something I've done the past year or so

This takes away some of the power of the UT, as well as making the game more interesting overall. It also puts a big premium on the abandoned musketeer(s), who suddenly become just as coveted (if not more) than the island itself. It also gives way to new strategy, such as the player leading in gold trying to NOT eliminate the Wolves, and possibly even using the musketeer themselves to eliminate the opposing fleets trying to capture it!

After encountering Wolves quite a bunch of times and having no way to deal with it (including the 8 fleet game), it's rather lame. Another alternate rule could be that once the game would end normally (last coin unloaded/sunk), as long as there was more than 1 player remaining, Wolves is automatically eliminated. Then you'd have a last-minute effort to get the final island's gold, which would be chaotic and fun, especially in a multiplayer game.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Quote:
After encountering Wolves quite a bunch of times and having no way to deal with it (including the 8 fleet game), it's rather lame. Another alternate rule could be that once the game would end normally (last coin unloaded/sunk), as long as there was more than 1 player remaining, Wolves is automatically eliminated. Then you'd have a last-minute effort to get the final island's gold, which would be chaotic and fun, especially in a multiplayer game.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
If no one in the game has a Musketeer or Marine remaining, and all other gold has been collected, the game ends because the island guarded by Wolves would not be considered "available".

It basically just takes that island out of play entirely, which maybe isn't as interesting as a last-minute free-for-all, but at least it won't prolong game unnecessarily by forcing the players to wipe each other out.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
If no one in the game has a Musketeer or Marine remaining, and all other gold has been collected, the game ends because the island guarded by Wolves would not be considered "available".

It basically just takes that island out of play entirely, which maybe isn't as interesting as a last-minute free-for-all, but at least it won't prolong game unnecessarily by forcing the players to wipe each other out.

I know, I was just looking for feedback on the idea (of making an abandoned musketeer or two mandatory when putting Wolves into the mix), since nobody commented in RPPD.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
I know, I was just looking for feedback on the idea (of making an abandoned musketeer or two mandatory when putting Wolves into the mix), since nobody commented in RPPD.
I think that's a solution that's worse than the problem.

It's impossible to verify or enforce until after the games is over because you can't be certain anyone actually added the Abandoned Musketeer until every coin has been revealed, including the ones on the island with Wolves. Checking UTs during setup and then adding the AM if Wolves is present removes the mystery of not knowing what your opponents put in the pool. Forcing the player that put Wolves into the pool to also include at least one AM takes away a spot that the player would most likely want to use for some other UT, so they'd just be that much less likely to use Wolves in the first place.

If the intent is simply to get players to not use Wolves at all, all you have to do is house rule it so no one can use it. At this point in the game's lifetime, I would assume that any player adding Wolves to the pool is either going to have something along to deal with it or they're planning to shut down an island - either way, it's done intentionally. If you do a full random distribution and it shows up randomly, players will just have to work around it as best as they can.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Smoke's Hand
Collector's Number: 122
Faction Affiliation: Pirate
Rarity: SR
Type: Ship
Point Value: 20 (should probably be 24+)
Cargo Space: 5
Base Move: S+L
Cannons: 2L,3L,4S,3L,2L
Number of Masts: 5

Ghost Ship. Once per turn, you may select a keyword. This ship gains that keyword for this turn. You may make a different choice each turn.

Here we have a classic Pirate ghost ship, but with a new "keyword copier" ability. The point cost would have to be increased so it wouldn't be unfair. There are also certain keywords that would have to be off-limits, like Kraken and Switchblade. The idea was more to copy keywords like the advantages of the Longship, Galley, and captain keywords to give the Smoke's Hand a unique, flexible advantage. I didn't want to make it any ability in the game, but rather any particular keyword from the Master Keyword List. Now that I think about it, imagine Treasure Ship the whole game to run treasure with a helmsman and extra actions!

This is already in Custom Ships, but for the purposes of CG2 (and possibly other games), I'd like to know if this is a viable idea, and what it should cost. My spreadsheet has the Smoke's Hand sitting at 24 points right now, but it still feels low. I'm just worried that Longship would be the default the entire time... perhaps add a line saying "you cannot select the same keyword on consecutive turns"? That would at least help, but makes it more complicated.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 141 of 143

Jump to: