main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Free the King fleet challenge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject: Free the King fleet challenge   PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote

Jack Hawkins was not in a good mood. Locked away in his cabin, he had given strict orders to not be disturbed, yet there was a pounding on his door. Rolling out of his hammock, Hawkins strode to the door and wrenched it open.

“I thought I was VERY specific sailor, I was not to be disturbed, not even if Jones himself came upon us.”

“Aye sir, you did say that, but captain…..”

“This had better be good sailor, or it’s your head.”

Hawkins shoved past the frightened pirate and clambered up onto deck. Squinting in the brightness, Jack looked around, and quickly noted another ship bearing down from the starboard. Slung low in the water, her sails were unmistakable.

“Seems you were right to rouse me sailor, All hands, prepare to board, we have company!”

The crew burst into action, readying cannons, grapples, and weapons, when Jack shouted again,

“Stay the cannons lads, we won’t be needing them.”

He then strode to the starboard rail, a hand on his sword. The Star of Siam was soon broadside, and lines were thrown from both ships, and a gangway lowered. Wesley ‘the Dread Pirate’, soon came across, accompanied by two stout and burly souls. Jack walked back away from the rail to stand amid ships.

“Have a table and chairs brought forth.”

Two crewmen scurried to obey and soon returned with a rickety table, and sagging chairs, Jack sat himself in one, and motioned for Wesley to do the same.

“To what do I owe the great pleasure of a meeting with the ‘Dread Pirate’?”

“I have news, Jack, and a Summons.”

“A summons? For me? From whom?”

Wesley produced a tattered and folded parchment from inside his coat, laid it on the table, and slid it across to Jack. He looked at it dubiously, then picked it up and unfolded it. It was a royal missive, clearly intercepted by Wesley, but what it said……
Jack looked from the parchment to Wesley and back again.

“Is this true?”

“Aye Jack it is, I had my spies confirm it.”

Jack folded the parchment again, and slipped it into his own coat, the crew gathered on deck looked on in confusion. Jack leaned back in his chair, the chair protesting as he did so.

“Your summons is from the others isn’t it?”

“Aye, a gathering has been called, and we must honor the summon Jack.”

Jack chewed his lip, not liking what he was hearing.

“Are they thinking of a rescue?”

“I believe they’re going to try something like that. Calico and the Angel are already waiting, and I hear even Blackheart is coming. I went to inform and bring you Jack.”

“Angus will be there eh? Hope he’s forgiven me for all the past duels, and if not I’ll simply beat him again.”

“Be careful Jack, they say Blackheart is worse than Jones nowadays.”

Jack laughed.

“Then it’s a good thing I’m not afraid of either one! Very well ‘Dread Pirate’ I’ll go to your little gathering and maybe I’ll help with your little rescue, but only so I can keep these waters safe for our kind.”

Wesley stood and motioned to his two guards, and the three of them returned to their ship. Jack waited until they were halfway across before shouting,

“Cast off lads! Adjust course to follow the Star! Full sail!”

The crew burst into action, hauling in lines, and unfurling sail. Jack retreated back to his cabin, closed and locked his door, and sat at his desk. He pulled out the Parchment Wesley had given him, and once again unfolded it look at it.

“Seems your luck has either run out, or is good enough to summon the Lords together, Mysion.”

The scenario: Captain Mysion has been captured by the imperial forces of the world. His strategic value is indispensable to the Pirates, for the loss of Mysion means the loss of a safe haven for them. In an attempt to rescue the Pirate King, the Court of Pirate Lords has been summoned to muster their best, though they know they face an uphill battle, as even the wealth of the richest Pirates is trivial to the combined might of the world's powers.

The Challenge: Rescue Captain Mysion from the allied forces of the imperial world, using a Pirate Pure fleet, and including at least ONE of the Pirate Lords. (listed below)
Your fleet will face the Allied Fleet.

Rescuing:
Mysion is being held in a hostile fort, to rescue him, you must either win a board against the fort, or destroy the fort and explore the island. Boarding against the fort will function similar to boarding another ship. The number of flags the fort has will count for it's number of masts, and both the ship and fort will roll dice. If the ship wins, Mysion is rescued and the game is won. If the fort wins, it may choose to eliminate a mast or a crew. You may also use the S-board ability to board the fort without docking at it.

Rules:
-Fleets will be 60 points, and MUST be pirate pure.
-You may NOT use 0LR+5 crew.
-Eternal will not function.
-You MUST include one variation of a Pirate Lord crew.
-Only game pieces from Spanish Main to Savage Shores may be used.
-You MUST vote on other participant fleets.
-One fleet per entrant (for now)

Scoring:
Scoring will be based on how many votes your fleet receives, plus how I think they will match up against the allied fleet.

The Pirate Lords:
Calico Cat
Jack Hawkins
Crimson Angel
Blackheart

You must include at LEAST one version of these crew in your fleet.

Deadlines:
Today is the Ninth of February, you have until the 11th of March to submit a fleet.
No fleet will be accepted after midnight Match 11th, PST, the Grand Reveal Day.
Please post a reply in this thread to enter, and please post a link to your fleet in this thread.

Judging:
I expect it will take me a week, or a little more to judge all of the fleets, at which point I will announce a winner.

Good Luck to all.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote

Oh man, I love this =)

With only 60 points to throw at a 91 point fleet, all with rerolled double actions and that is playing defense, I think this is going to come down to some strategery.

Thematically, I think it would be cool if the entrants only used ONE of the lords, and everyone used a different one (after all, whoever rescues him will get favor, and why would they work together? hehe)

Anyway I am in =) And I know you didn't mention Vassal, but I think I would be interested in playing this out at some point too!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote

Fantastic flavor introduction! I'll definitely be participating in this.

For the scoring, do you mean to say the quality of the votes received? (since if we all must vote on each others' fleets, they will all have X votes and the quality should matter more than quantity, which has proven to be somewhat random in the past)

Just one rules question: will boarding the fort follow the same rules as for ships? (move>shoot>ram>board, with S boarding rules the same as well, etc)

volt wrote:
With only 60 points to throw at a 91 point fleet, all with rerolled double actions and that is playing defense, I think this is going to come down to some strategery.

Indeed; I'm hoping the point differential doesn't make the Zeus too tempting. Rolling Eyes (Zeus + Emperor Blackheart, Will Turner, helmsman, oarsman and other ships for trade currents... ugh)

Quote:
Thematically, I think it would be cool if the entrants only used ONE of the lords, and everyone used a different one (after all, whoever rescues him will get favor, and why would they work together? hehe)

I would be fine with that, and we could find more potential Pirate Lords if necessary.

Quote:
And I know you didn't mention Vassal, but I think I would be interested in playing this out at some point too!

He may not bother with VASSAL because he wants more entrants, as even a single mention of VASSAL in a fleet challenge thread has proven to be a massive barrier to entry. Between the relatively long thread, the non-standard nature of the rules/gameplay, and the requirement to vote on all the fleets, throwing the word VASSAL out there would likely mean that you and I would be the only participants (similar to the last FC).
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote

I did not mention VASSAL for exactly that reason. I want people to submit fleets, and have more than just two entrants.

a7xfanben wrote:
For the scoring, do you mean to say the quality of the votes received? (since if we all must vote on each others' fleets, they will all have X votes and the quality should matter more than quantity, which has proven to be somewhat random in the past)

Oops,seems I wasn't quite clear. A vote of 5 is worth 5 points, a vote of 4 worth 4 and so on.

a7xfanben wrote:
just one rules question: will boarding the fort follow the same rules as for ships? (move>shoot>ram>board, with S boarding rules the same as well, etc)

Yes that's how it will work. Boarding against the fort will follow the same rules as regular boarding, including the S-board ability.

Volt wrote:

You can get quite a lot for 60 points of pure Pirates.... You will have the advantage of a Canceller, as I purposely did NOT include one in the allied fleet, since I viewed it as an unfair advantage for the Alliance Fleet.

For now I'm keeping it open on the Pirate Lords. If you want to use ONLY one of them, you may. Conversely if you want to use all of them in some way, you may. Ben mentioned adding some more Lords, and I may do that, but it could be tricky since my criteria for a Pirate Lord was they had to have at least three separate versions that each did something slightly different.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote

I'm in. This could be interesting.
Question- why can't pirates enlist the aide of Mercenaries? They are just that.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote

selvaxri wrote:
I'm in. This could be interesting.
Question- why can't pirates enlist the aide of Mercenaries? They are just that.

Thematically because the mercs are untrustworthy, and are often hired by the Allied Fleet.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Well, anyone using the Zeus would probably suffer from originality points from me when I vote for their fleet.

AS for Vassal, I more meant after the winner was decided, heh just to test it out.

Lastly - just to be clear - when we "board" the fort, we have to be docked, but don't have to explore the island, correct?. And, we are actually rolling a die for the ram? So move to dock, shoot, ram, board?

Thematically, a wooden ship ramming a fortified probably stone structure seems a little weird, but if that's how we are playing it, so be it.

Secondly, is the ship pinned when it does this action?

Also, could not believe that as far as I can tell the Pirates have only one S board ship heh.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
Well, anyone using the Zeus would probably suffer from originality points from me when I vote for their fleet.

AS for Vassal, I more meant after the winner was decided, heh just to test it out.

Lastly - just to be clear - when we "board" the fort, we have to be docked, but don't have to explore the island, correct?. And, we are actually rolling a die for the ram? So move to dock, shoot, ram, board?

Thematically, a wooden ship ramming a fortified probably stone structure seems a little weird, but if that's how we are playing it, so be it.

Secondly, is the ship pinned when it does this action?

Also, could not believe that as far as I can tell the Pirates have only one S board ship heh.

Very well, I with the help of a few others perhaps, can test out the fleets on VASSAL AFTER I have decided a winner, just for fun and games.

Correct, to board the Fort you must dock at the island it is on, no need to explore it as there is no gold there (thematically).

No, you cannot eliminate one of the fort's flags by docking (ramming?) the fort's island. The fort's flags may ONLY be eliminated by a shoot action.

No, your ship will NOT be pinned to the fort or the island that it is on after you dock there to board the fort.

The Pirates have only one S-Board ship but they have a few options in crew. Wesley is a regular S-Board crew, the first one if I'm not mistaken, and Will Turner is a pirate S-Board Captain.

I may elevate Wesley to Pirate Lord status, my little story in the beginning implies that he is, even though the only other version of him is a Corsair.....
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote

Cheese?
*though my fleet is currently private, i may keep it as is until others post their fleets.
it would be interesting if we would collaborate and turn this challenge into an 4v1 challenge.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote

selvaxri wrote:
Cheese?
*though my fleet is currently private, i may keep it as is until others post their fleets.
it would be interesting if we would collaborate and turn this challenge into an 4v1 challenge.

I clicked on the link, and I cannot see anything there except the name. Could be becasue you've made the fleet private, or an error somewhere. Did you want me and others to see it?
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote

yes, it is currently Private- as i stated before. i may tweak the actual build closer to reveal day. but i have something churning...
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote

volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote

nice one ben. Glad you posted this early, because both of those ships were on my radar for this challenge, especially a Tia/Coleop combo heh.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
nice one ben. Glad you posted this early, because both of those ships were on my radar for this challenge, especially a Tia/Coleop combo heh.

I'm not surprised - the Coleoptera is the only Pirate sub and immune to the allied fleet when submerged, while the Flying Dutchman has all S-range cannons. Eternal and the boarding ability might not help, but I'm hoping that Ghost Ship could help, and the point cost was necessary to optimize the crew without using Jonah on the 11 point version. Throw in the PotC tie-ins, and it was irresistible!
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote

*click*Unlocked.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: