main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Fleet Challenge - Spelling Bee!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject: Fleet Challenge - Spelling Bee!   PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote

Hey All -

The last month was pretty insane for me, sorry about taking so long to put this up, but maybe its for the best if we get more to participate!

Your challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to create a fleet whose ships contain the letters G-O-L-D. (Crew have no role in the spelling part of this challenge because that would stop you from using captains)

Here are the rules:
1) You must have at least 2 ships.
2) Each ship must supply a minimum of 1 letter, and can only supply a maximum of two letters to spell GOLD (so the Golden Medusa can only give you two letters). The letters can come from any part of the ship name. This also means, for example, that the Banshee's Cry cannot be used since it does not include any letter in GOLD.
3) Fleets are standard 40 points. All game legal pieces, including RtSS (use a proxy and post stats) are usable.
4) Fleets must be nation pure.
4a) Since the minor nations have less ships available to spell, you may group the Barbaries, Jade, Vikings, and Merc together and still be nation pure.
5) One fleet per entrant
6) I am tempting to make this part mandatory, but not sure how hard it will be, so extra credit for also including in your ship names any of the following words (same letter rules): (Make sure you list it in your write-up!)
Ahoy, Aye, Avast, Blimey, Booty, Locker, Pillage, Matey, Rum, Savvy, Seadog, or any other word that you think matches these in PIrate-ness (at least 3 letters)

Other rules: You must vote on other's fleets!

Post below if you plan to enter! We will make grand reveal day on Monday May 29th! (to not overlap with the review contest) MAke a link to your fleet here, and use SPELL in the title if you can.

Judging will be based on the effectiveness of the fleets, along with the spelling words included. I would love to try VASSAL, but May is also pretty crazy. We can try though!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote

Funky design/idea but it should make for an interesting challenge. Amused by the not-so-subtle shot at the BC. XD
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote

This sounds fun, I'm in.
When I first read the post, and saw the spelling requirements, I immediately thought 'Guichuan', but then read some more and saw the 40 point limit...... Sad
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote

For the extra credit part, can we reuse letters that spell GOLD? (does that count towards the 2-letter limit) What if a ship has two o's in it, can we use one for Gold and one for Ahoy? (for example)
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote

I'm in. why not? this should be an interesting challenge.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
For the extra credit part, can we reuse letters that spell GOLD? (does that count towards the 2-letter limit) What if a ship has two o's in it, can we use one for Gold and one for Ahoy? (for example)

Yes to both questions.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for this challenge, it led to an interesting perspective that I'm not used to.

I used the minor factions
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Don't let me win by default! Today is the Grand Reveal Day!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Don't let me win by default! Today is the Grand Reveal Day!

heh, I'm about to post mine.

Ta-da!

Golden Ships
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Fleet Challenge - Spelling Bee!   PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
2) Each ship must supply a minimum of 1 letter, and can only supply a maximum of two letters to spell GOLD (so the Golden Medusa can only give you two letters). The letters can come from any part of the ship name. This also means, for example, that the Banshee's Cry cannot be used since it does not include any letter in GOLD.

Does this make my fleet illegal then? I have 4 ships, but the G repeats on two of them without them providing any other letters. (Even if I do G-Agha's Whip, O-Noble Swan, L-Noble Swan, D-Asgard, that leaves the Winds of Vengeance without a representation other than the G)
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote

Sorry just saw this... and to answer your question, I guess it does make it illegal?

I was going to extend the deadline anyway, since the MR contest was extended...
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:48 am Reply with quote

volt wrote:
Sorry just saw this... and to answer your question, I guess it does make it illegal?

I was going to extend the deadline anyway, since the MR contest was extended...

Just swapped in the Glorious Treasure for the Winds of Vengeance. Now it works. Weaker on treasure but that thing is a nasty little bugger.

@selvaxri: Might you have a fleet coming?
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote

Yes, please speak up if you plan on entering a fleet.

Well, we have 2 entries at least. I will give people until this Sunday night to submit a fleet, and I will judge them on Monday.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote

I'm going to have to drop out, it's been crazy busy and i'm distracted with other things that i can't sit down to contemplate a fleet.

sorry.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote

well, two entries, ugh.

Xerec's entry is still not legal, as the Morning Star has 12 points of crew on her.

Even if I ignored that, I think I will still give the win here to a7xfanben! (Sorry, hidden cove and Blood money kinda ruin it for me too heh)

I do hope we have a challenge that gives us more than 3 entries, ugh.

I guess the mantle is yours, Ben.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: