main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
ALL Dead Men Tell No Tales discussion goes HERE (SPOILERS)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote

Do they mean the Paul McCartney? This just got very interesting.....
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote

What is your favorite quote from the PotC franchise? I would likely have many more tied at #1 if I rewatched all the movies right now, but the flavor text for the Black Pearl always stood out to me:

"Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom." (Captain Jack Sparrow)
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote

So many good ones, although most of the best ones are from the first movie.

The most classic is of course: "You cheated!" "Pirate."

And of course, "You are without a doubt the worst Pirate I've ever heard of." "Ah, but you have heard of me!"

But my two favorites are probably:

1) “This is either madness, or brilliance.” (Will Turner) “It’s remarkable how often those two traits coincide.” – Jack Sparrow

2) “I’m dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it’s the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they’re going to do something incredibly stupid.” – Jack Sparrow
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote

volt wrote:
2) “I’m dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it’s the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they’re going to do something incredibly stupid.” – Jack Sparrow

Ah yes, I forgot to mention all the times Jack does his confusing little rants. My favorite of those might be from the beginning of Dead Man's Chest... "much more better... it is a drawring of a key"

Also:
https://youtu.be/664-PC841zc?t=44s
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote

yes yes to the second link lol
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
What is your favorite quote from the PotC franchise?

I have two that stand out:

"Why is the Rum gone?"

"Do you think he plans it all out, or just makes it up as he goes?"

Close third:
"Now we're being followed by rocks. Never had that before. Oh. A rope."

"Why should I sail with any of you? Four of you have tried to kill me in the past, one of you succeeded."

I could go on, there are several gems in the franchise, the closing dialogue of the 4th one between Jack and Gibbs on how to get the ships out of bottles is quite funny, as well as the dishonest rant Volt mentioned.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote

I actually thought the Paul McCartney thing to be a joke when I first saw it. Interesting to know he'll be in the film after all.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote

Just got my ticket! One week left! Shocked Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Question: Would people want an official DMTNT/PotC 5 thread for discussion? I could change the title of this thread to "SPOILER ALERT (Pirates of the Caribbean 5)". I just don't want anyone to get spoiled from people posting random stuff in random threads, but I also don't want to have an official thread if nobody posts there.

I think I answered my own question (keep it in this thread), but feel free to discuss.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the movie in a matter of hours! I changed the thread title to make this the official discussion thread, which will hopefully help for the future.

Today is also the 10th anniversary of At World's End!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Spoilers ahoy   PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote

Here are my thoughts after seeing the movie a second time (first viewing was the first one I could go to, last Thursday 5/25 at 7pm).

[SPOILER ALERT]

I thought the movie was great overall but a bit disappointing based on the previews and past movies.

Random things I liked:
-Jack pulling a pistol on Henry after Henry held a sword to him (like father like son, CotBP)
-Jack roping the shark, and tricking Carina
-Pretty much the entire St. Martin part, especially with Jack drinking rum on the way through and the actions/lines of the other pirates.
-Wedding scene was extremely random but funny
-Blurring of lines between protagonist/antagonist. If you hadn't seen the previous movies, it would be very easy to root for Salazar (who never did any wrong, arguably other than killing defenseless pirates). None of the protagonists are as lovable as in the previous movies (other than maybe Barbossa), and they really don't deserve everything they get in this movie. If this were anything like real life the bad guys won big-time. (also the Royal Navy wasn't as "evil" as it was under Beckett, and they lost too)
-Post credits scene (mostly since it hints at a 6th movie)
-Barbossa talking about the Pearl only having one captain (AWE)
-I generally enjoyed the lines and comedy
-Not enough original music, though they did a good job reusing themes in new ways (Geoff Zanelli was supposedly a protege of Hans Zimmer but the lack of brilliance showed)

Things I didn't like:
-They completely wasted their star power. Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley and Paul McCartney got like 5 minutes of screen time combined. Everyone was hoping for more Will and Elizabeth after On Stranger Tides, but the movie almost completely ignored them.
-By extension, they wasted the Flying Dutchman. There were multiple scenes where it would have been perfect for Will and the FD to pop up. One was when Jack and his crew threw Henry overboard. Will could get angry at Jack and confront him, which could have led to Will and the Dutchman playing a role for the rest of the film (along with making a great entrance). Also, when Salazar grabs Henry, we don't see him again until Salazar possesses his body (lol). This is another great opportunity - the Silent Mary is alone on the water, Salazar looks like he's about to kill Henry, and then all of a sudden the Dutchman shows up and starts shooting at the Silent Mary!! Would have been a fun ship battle, maybe with the same ending if Salazar and his ghost crew just ran away towards the trident and Will can't do much but watch. Also could have had the Dutchman on the other side of the divide with her own anchor. (can she shoot while submerged? Imagine seeing the FD zooming along underwater, shooting cannons out one side of the water and into the other at the ghost crew!!) An absolute utter waste of one of the coolest characters and coolest ships in the series.
-Continuity problems. Everyone is talking about how the whole flashback did away with the established story regarding Jack's compass, but also his accessories and hat.
-Why did Salazar and his crew survive? Since they died in the Devil's Triangle, but this also brings up the fact that they've done the same thing for every movie (undead/unkillable antagonist with cursed crew on a ship with some kind of supernatural power)
-Will should die since he has no heart (lol)
-Elizabeth doesn't talk
-Henry and Carina are a bit bland, and I'm a bit sick of the forced love story between two characters we don't have a lot of reason to care about (this aspect was far worse in OST but continues here)
-Plot revolves around an all-powerful device that gets destroyed almost immediately without anyone being able to use it hardly at all
-Carina is like the "science woman" who explains everything in plain detail to the audience, while everyone else in the film is a buffoon regarding it (except for Barbossa to some degree)
-Forced family theme (similar to the Star Wars problem) - in a big world/universe, why do random family connections unexpectedly happen all the time? Carina wasn't that likable and the way and speed in which the concept was introduced didn't make me care more about Barbossa (he's already a great character)
-Why was a Royal Navy ship of the line (by the looks of it, nearly a 3 decker if I saw things correctly) able to catch the Black Pearl that night? Barbossa was running from the dead, so there's no reason to not go full speed.
-Too magical: For me this movie had too many cartoonish, supernatural elements. Obviously that's been a theme since the beginning, but the entire Trident sequence towards the end (from when they touch land until Barbossa falls) felt way too much like some Guardians of the Galaxy/cheap superhero kids movie sequence. It felt too "disneyfied" (I like Disney but the previous movies had more realism and historicity). Too much science/gems/magic/fake island stuff for me.
-Jack isn't as enjoyable - I actually didn't have as much of a problem with this like most people did, since it makes sense for him to be a washed up drunk after all he's been through and frustrated with the Pearl still in the bottle.
-Pacing was a bit too fast - movie could have been longer with some more exposition/slightly more drawn out scenes. Some fast cuts during the action sequences (especially the night battle between Jack and Salazar) were hard to follow, tough to tell what was going on with the details.
-Another dead villain after one movie. I understand they aren't sure about a potential 6th movie, but I thought Salazar was probably good enough to remain as a villain for more than one movie (not as good as Davy Jones).
-Salazar and crew too similar to DJ and crew: can't step on land, can walk through stuff (brig cell w/ Henry)
-Davy Jones or Barbossa returning in another movie would continue to cheapen the threat of death for the main characters (Elizabeth and Blackbeard seem the most reasonably mortal)
-Why wasn't Jack more hurt from getting stabbed with the trident? (even before it broke there was no blood or evident pain)
-Especially during my first viewing, it really didn't look like Salazar was about to kill Carina at the end. It seemed like all 5 people on the chain could just keep climbing, with Barbossa letting Carina go ahead of him if he needed to defend her from Salazar. Jumping off and dying on purpose seemed completely unnecessary and was kind of a cheap death, especially with how little the audience likely cared about Carina and how much people loved Barbossa. (Jack also didn't seem to care about Barbossa's death at all, but he's understandably happy to finally not have a rival for control of the Pearl for once)
-Jack just randomly didn't have his signature hat on when sailing off with the Pearl at the end

I seem to have had the opposite problem most people had. My expectations were too high for this one (based on the cast and amazing previews, again, wasted star power), but low enough for the 4th one (which was originally going to have a lower budget, and obviously a different cast than 1-3). The 4th one was as good or better than I expected it to be, but this one was somewhat of a disappointment. It seems like others expected way more from the 4th but after that one (which most people liked far less than I did), their expectations were lower for this one.

I did enjoy the film a little bit more the second time, since I knew what to expect.

My updated rankings:
1. 1 and 3 (1 is a more "perfect" movie due to 3's plot and deals being hard to follow)
3. 2 (DMC)
4. 5 (DMTNT)
5. 4 (OST)

Also, I agree with most of this.

Feel free to share your thoughts! (doesn't hurt to put "spoilers" at the top of the post for the next week or two just to be courteous)
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote

Edit, I sound more negative than I am. I had a lot of fun with the movie, and I think that is the point with this franchise. Especially at this point. I have some hangups, but I had fun and that is what counts the most

*Spoilers*
My biggest issue with the film was with Jack. Sometimes he was fun, or funny, but he felt flanderized. Like, they were overdoing way too many of his sillier aspects. To some degree, they could have shown him over-womanizing, overly risky, or something to try and show how low he had sunk, maybe, but I felt like there was so much wasted potential in Jack. They were really hinting at him having a compelling arc with him losing everything, and they were giving him an enemy that was "his greatest fear" and they did nothing to give him an arc after that. Granted, there were so many other characters that mattered that he didn't necessarily need an arc, but there was so much pushing towards him having one.

I'm sick of love stories being shoehorned into everything, but this one didn't feel too terrible to me. They had some time together, playing and showing their feelings grow. There was at least a beginning, middle, and end, which is so much better than usual.

I have to completely disagree with you thoughts on Bloom, Knightly and McCartney. They all were great as legacy roles. Uncle Jack was a nod to Jack's father being a famous musician, while giving a cute scene with a wink to those who knew the casting. Will and Elizabeth's story was wrapped well enough up, I'm glad they weren't given another. There were too many characters as is, and this was a nice way to give them a happy ending they couldn't achieve before. It would have felt too much like the series was crawling back to them after Stranger Tides. Henry was already a bit much of a retread, but it gave him a strong motivation that didn't need even more exposition.

There were a lot of moving pieces in this film. I feel like the English could have been cut entirely. The sailed, they died... I guess they were there to push Gibbs and Marty back to the Pearl but they seemed too unnecessary. Much like the witch and her relationship to Barbossa. Much like the Spaniards in the last film. Between Henry, Carina, Barbossa, Jack, the English, the new Witch, Gibbs/Marty and crew, Salazar, and the compass, there was a lot of exposition. Some of it done well, or in cool ways, but it was just so much.

I thought about the Will and Dutchman problems, and for the most part I don't care. If Jack thew Henry off of the ship, then definitely, Will should've have shown up upset, but for the most part I think its reasonable for him to have been ferrying souls... Though I wonder where ghosts factor into Will's job. That will bug me. Also why Barbossa never used his voodoo sword for anything but shattering the bottle.

Certainly the lack of curses in the universe will limit future film scenarios, but honestly after bringing Will and Elizabeth back, the franchise is better off being left alone. I had fun with these films, but it is time to let go. Jack is already losing his character. Also, phoey on the end credits scene. It was a cool nod to the series, in a film that was written as if it could be the last, but the whole "is he back" aspect of it was so stupid. He's not back, and he shouldn't come back

Still though. There a lot of cute nods and in-jokes. The bank robbery was honestly the most absurd fun since the Water Wheel in Dead Man's Chest. The "leave one alive" because Dead Men Tell No Tales was one of the best fricken movie title tie ins I've ever seen, and a solid not to the ride. SPEAKING OF WHICH, I can't remember if it was canon in the movies, or the supplementary material, that the Wicked Wench was sunk and revived as the Black Pearl, but boy did it make me squeal when I saw the Wicked Wench on the back of Jack's ship. The Wicked Wench is the ship attacking the port in the ride. Salazar was an awesome villain, his crew were cool, and his ship did find a new way to be intimidating. The masthead coming alive was stupid, but the crushing of ships was intimidating. His blatant disregard of pirate life spoke to his clear motivations, and it made him all the scarier when he was baring down on Jack. You couldn't cut a deal with him. Shame the weakness was repeated, but it was at least handled differently this time.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Spoiler Alert

These customs may alert you to spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet.

I thought I'd try making some customs based on the stuff from the movie!

Silent Mary
Faction Affiliation: Cursed
Type: Ship
Point Value: 32+
Cargo Space: 3
Base Move: S+S
Cannons: 2S-3L-3L-3L-2S
Number of Masts: 5
Link: Captain Salazar

Eternal. Turbine. Spanish crew can used their abilities on this ship. When this ship rams another ship, that ship immediately sinks and this ship can continue moving as if she had the Ghost Ship keyword.

Captain Salazar
Type: Crew
Point Value: 10
Link: Silent Mary

Hostile: Pirate. If this ship wins a boarding party, eliminate all but one of the other ship's crew. This ship gets +1 to her die rolls against Pirate ships, crew, and forts. This ship's crew cannot be eliminated.

Salazar's Sharks
Point Value: 14
Cargo Space: 0
Base Move: S+L
Cannons: 2S-2S
Number of Masts: 2

Sea Monster. Eternal. This sea creature may be stored as cargo on the Silent Mary; if so it is treated as crew for all intents and purposes, cannot use its abilities, does not count against the point limit of the ship, and takes up one cargo space. You may have more than one "Salazar's Sharks" in play at once.

Dying Gull
Faction Affiliation: Pirate
Point Value: 5
Cargo Space: 3
Base Move: L
Cannons: 4S
Number of Masts: 1

Henry Turner
Point Value: 2
Link: Will Turner

This ship gets +1 cargo spaces. This crew does not take up cargo space.
English ships get +1 to their cannon rolls against this ship.

Carina Smyth
Point Value: 5
Link: Barbossa

Once per turn, this ship can look at all face down treasures on a wild island.

Shansa
Point Value: 4

Once per turn, this ship can look at two face down crew or treasure coins on any ships or islands.

Galileo's Diary
Type: Unique Treasure

Once per turn, this ship can look at one face down treasure on any island.

Trident of Poseidon
Type: Unique Treasure

No Cursed ability may affect this ship or her crew. If loaded by a Cursed ship, that ship cannot use the Eternal keyword. If this ship loses a boarding party, eliminate this treasure.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote

I finally saw this movie the other night, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I am too tired now to go into any specific points (Alot of what you said already) but I felt it was much better overall than #4, and on par with #2 and #3.

I couple things I will say: I didn't know that Zimmer was not doing this music ahead of time, but I totally thought to myself afterwards that the music was not up to snuff. I have consistently said PotC has some of the best theme music in history (Jack's theme is right up there with IMperial March to me, and the Kraken theme is just so great).

While I agree that Will and Elizabeth should not be used as main characters or plot devices, I did feel their short screen time was not used in the right way, especially Elizabeth's.

I agree, Jack's character seemed... off. It may be his antics are getting old, but even given the fact that he was supposed to be depressed etc, I found that his character motivations were backseated. I think I agree that there was just too much other character exposition and it drowned out Jack's main plot.

THe only part of the plot I did not like: When Barbossa join's Salazar's ship, where does the QAR go? I agree also about his sword - a loss of coolness there. Barbossa is by far my favorite character in the whole series (Yes better than Jack), so if there is a sixth I do certainly hope the QAR was able to rescue him somehow - after all, he can swim heh. Still, I think Rush is old and he wouldn't come back anyway heh.

I think the only thing they can do now with a sixth is a Jack origin story (how did he become a pirate, and how he got on the Wench in the first place)... or one where he truly dies.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Unlocked for further discussion! Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: