bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
The Team Fleet Challenge!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: The Team Fleet Challenge!   PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote

The Team Fleet Challenge

From this post I have made a decision on the theme of the next Fleet Challenge! Thanks to Vendari for the idea.

The Challenge:
Two contestants submit fleets built to work together.

Procedure:
-If you will be participating in the challenge, make a post about it here in this thread.
-Participants can then make teams of 2 players through posts and/or the private messaging system. This can include negotiations, strategy talk, and other relevant information you might want when choosing a partner.
-Once you have a partner, BOTH players must post that they are a team in this thread. (ex: Player A makes post saying "I'm on a team with Player B"; Player B makes a post saying "I'm on a team with Player A")

Rules:
-40 points per player. This makes 80 points total but you will each be submitting a separate fleet.
-You are not making an 80 point fleet! These are 40 point fleets that work together with synergy. Do not simply make an 80 point fleet together and arbitrarily divide it into halves; each 40 point fleet should ideally be able to stand on its own to some degree (though gimmicks that rely on the partner fleet are also appreciated)
-For gameplay purposes, you will play the combined 80 point fleet.
-Only one fleet will be allowed per player.
-All standard game rules are in effect.
-There can be fleets of multiple nationalities.
-No Events.
-No Mysterious Islands.
-Game pieces from RtSS are allowed.
-Custom game pieces are not allowed.
-You cannot use 0LR +5 crew. (0LR rerollers are allowed along with other Limit crew; be careful that you and your partner don't have more than one Limit crew between the two of you)
-If we have an odd number of interested participants, I will join the challenge and contribute a fleet to even things out. However, I would not like to join simply to make this challenge viable (myself being the 4th entry), so let's have 4+ participants right from the start please!

Fleet Scoring:
-I will pick the best combined fleet.

However, the below scoring system may also be used, though I reserve the right to override any numerical scores with my own decision. Winning games in head-to-head matchups will weigh heavily on my mind as I consider which fleet should win, so head on over to the VASSAL module. It is preferable that both team members be present for VASSAL play, but since this is very unlikely, only one team member must be present to play the game(s). VASSAL play is not required for your fleet to be considered for winning the challenge.
+10 points for each game your fleet wins on the VASSAL module
+X points for all the votes your fleet gets in the fleets section (ex: your fleet would score 12 points if you had three votes from different people that were all 4's)
-Please post an explanation of your ratings of the fleets, and do not abstain from voting on others' fleets because you want them to score lower.
-I also reserve the right to disqualify any teams that fail to show up on the VASSAL module after saying they will (you can be reasonably late, but please do not annoy people with false hope)

More Stuff:
-If you make use of RtSS items: Since none of the RtSS items are in the database, you'll have to use existing items as proxies in the fleet on MT. Choose a similar ship/crew/etc. with the same nationality and point cost, and in your fleet description list exactly which RtSS item will replace it. Also be sure to list the stats of all RtSS items you use so readers won't have to dig for them.
-Edits after posting are okay if there are rules issues or other serious problems, but try to avoid any drastic changes.
-Please post any questions you have in this thread.

Prizes:
-Bragging rights.
-The opportunity to create the next Fleet Challenge.
-I'll dig through my extras to see if there's anything in your want list that I have (but no promises). Also, I have some sealed packs of a few different sets as well as some random "goodies" if you will. If enough people participate and spend time on VASSAL I may even send the winner one of rossinaz's custom islands.

Deadlines:
-Teams will submit their fleets (preferably on the same day for both team members) on Sunday, July 16th, which is the Grand Reveal Day. This gives everyone about 5 weeks to sort out who's participating, who is on each team, and how each fleet will be constructed. Given the possibility of VASSAL play, it may be unwise to submit your fleets before the GRD, as other teams may be able to take advantage but say they're not doing it on purpose. (such as a fleet's submission date being before yours since they started work on it but then edited it)

If anyone has feedback, especially with how the fleets are to be constructed in this format, please post about it. I'm not sure the wording of the first two rules is clear enough for this challenge to work properly. Kinks in the system will be dealt with and will likely push back the Grand Reveal Day.

Hopefully this will break the string of challenges that only have 2 or 3 entries. This needs 4 to even work properly.

Last edited by a7xfanben on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote

I'm willing to work with anyone. Just be the first person to quote this post and we'll start messaging.

I'm assuming that crew like Cargo Masters don't work a teammate's fleet, even if they're of the same nation?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
I'm willing to work with anyone. Just be the first person to quote this post and we'll start messaging.

I'm assuming that crew like Cargo Masters don't work a teammate's fleet, even if they're of the same nation?

Cargo masters would work, since you'd be playing this as an 80 point fleet in any potential games. (as long as they ARE of the same nationality)

[DISCLAIMER: I am the first person to quote his post, but I am not working with him.]

Laughing
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
godmason wrote:

Cargo masters would work, since you'd be playing this as an 80 point fleet in any potential games. (as long as they ARE of the same nationality)

[DISCLAIMER: I am the first person to quote his post, but I am not working with him.]

Laughing

mfw:
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote

I will be in =)

If godmason wants to be my partner, that is fine =) Hopefully we can get 4!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote

I'm tentatively entering as well. With a Miniature Review Contest to set up and run, plus other things, I may be 'distracted' from the challenge.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote

We have 3 so far, how many more can we get? The earlier you sign up, the better! Very Happy
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
I will be in =)

Sounds good. I'll PM you soon to work out how we want to do this.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
volt wrote:
I will be in =)

Sounds good. I'll PM you soon to work out how we want to do this.

Hrm, well, if we don't get a fourth, that means it will be us vs a "Distracted" Xerecs and the person running the contest =
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote

I'd be willing to do this challenge. I'll fully admit I'm not nearly at the level of you guys, but it'd be fun to see what I can do in regards to building a cooperative fleet with another player.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote

repkosai wrote:
I'd be willing to do this challenge. I'll fully admit I'm not nearly at the level of you guys, but it'd be fun to see what I can do in regards to building a cooperative fleet with another player.

Hooray, we have a 4th player! Very Happy Thanks for joining!

The deadline for submitting your fleets is a month from today! (7/16)
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote

repkosai wrote:

Volt and Godmason have partnered up (I think), so you and me?

Check out the fleet section, specifically the ones with high votes and/or lots of comments. Ben's fansite also has a tab about guides to fleet building.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote

sounds good!

@godmason - I am away until the 26th, and my presence here will be very limited - you can PM ideas if you want, but no promises I will reply before the 26th. Come up with some good ideas in the meantime heh Smile

-V
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote

Heh, I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet...

This challenge will have TWO winners. Shocked

This is not completely unprecedented, as we've had FC's in the past with more than one winner, though not by this method I don't think. What I am planning to do is have the team member who has gone longer without hosting a challenge be the one to host the next challenge. (In which case the teams work out great, since it would be godmason or repkosai) However, similar to how the fleet building process works, negotiations could take place. Cool There could be a title-holder deferment, especially if someone doesn't have time for the next one, etc.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like people are too excited about the "dual winners" thing... understandably so... Laughing I'm too obsessed with this stuff, feel like I'm trying to cook up a controversy. XD

Anyway, I can't help but bring this to attention here:

The Grand Complete Archive of all Fleet Challenges at Miniature Trading

This dense history has now been completed. This forum has seen 58 challenges, with 30 different winners. The Old Era averaged 8 challenges per year, and after a lull in the Middle Era which technically averaged less than 3 per year, we are back on track, averaging 9 challenges per year thus far in the New Era! Very Happy Congrats to all on their victories, and to many more in the years to come.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: