Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
What is a pokeship?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crsluggo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: What is a pokeship?   PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Please excuse my ignorance, but I see this term "pokeship" referenced from time to time on this site. What defines a pokeship? Is it good, bad, indifferent? Is there a set or sets in which they appear frequently? What are some examples of a pokeship?
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote

I've been wondering the same thing. It's not in the acronym thread so I'm glad you brought it up.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: What is a pokeship?   PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote

crsluggo wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance, but I see this term "pokeship" referenced from time to time on this site. What defines a pokeship? Is it good, bad, indifferent? Is there a set or sets in which they appear frequently? What are some examples of a pokeship?

(NOT laughing at you, I'm laughing at the concept and silliness of it all lol)

LOLOLOLOLOLOL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

XD

As far as I know the termed was coined by holofernes back when the last sets were being released.

You've probably heard of the Pokemon phenomenon, which I happened to grow up with and love, hence why it's even funnier to me haha. (scroll through post heh)

The hoist is a lot harder to pin down...
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote

I never realized there were so many direct Pokemon counterparts, but as Ben showed, the "pokeships" name was just a semi-serious joking/disparaging reference to all of the gimmick ships with moving parts.

That should probably go into the glossary/acronym list that was floating around here somewhere...
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
I never realized there were so many direct Pokemon counterparts, but as Ben showed, the "pokeships" name was just a semi-serious joking/disparaging reference to all of the gimmick ships with moving parts.

Lol. The Scyther one might be the best, and even works for the switchblades too heh.

Quote:
That should probably go into the glossary/acronym list that was floating around here somewhere...

OK I will update that. Guess I didn't think of it at the time since it's not an acronym and isn't used as much as most others. I think I popularized it a bit after finding it really funny a handful of years back.
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote

That's funny and you're right it does kinda fit. I first saw this term on your website Ben. Perhaps you should change that or at least explain more because it really confused me when I first started getting back into pirates and I was reading your website. Just my opinion of course. Smile
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
That's funny and you're right it does kinda fit. I first saw this term on your website Ben. Perhaps you should change that or at least explain more because it really confused me when I first started getting back into pirates and I was reading your website. Just my opinion of course. Smile

OK I think I will leave the term the same because it's hilarious but I will link to my above post in this thread so people can understand what they are heh. Knowing a little history of the forum and a tiny bit about Pokemon helps a lot, but I shouldn't assume either of those for most readers, you're right heh.
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Without even looking I assumed it was a reference to a ship capable of move -> attack -> move hence to poke at someone and not be there. Glad I read this since I played Pokemon for a while myself and the term and explanation make so much more sense.
crsluggo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining! Your comparison images certainly helped!
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Huh, I'd have done maybe Kingler or Scizor for a hoist but that might be because I have a Pokemon trainer as my Profile picture, haha

Good to know, as the term isn't abundantly clear, unfortunately. I took it to mean that the ships literally poked other ships (and hoists were grandfathered in)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote

notalwaysyou wrote:
Huh, I'd have done maybe Kingler or Scizor for a hoist but that might be because I have a Pokemon trainer as my Profile picture, haha

Good to know, as the term isn't abundantly clear, unfortunately. I took it to mean that the ships literally poked other ships (and hoists were grandfathered in)

Those do work a bit better, I was struggling to find something that worked. Surprised you didn't get the reference at first. Though, it's partly because I never both with the proper "é" character.
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: What is a pokeship?   PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
As far as I know the termed was coined by holofernes back when the last sets were being released.

You've probably heard of the Pokemon phenomenon, which I happened to grow up with and love, hence why it's even funnier to me haha.

I'm probably guilty of starting/using that term around when all the gimmicky new ship types and abilities came out, yes. Rum may have been involved.

Oddly, I enjoyed the DJC stuff (imperfect as it was) which many reviled as a turn toward "fantasy", but I didn't like many of the more colorful and improbable fantasy ships/mechanics that came shortly thereafter. Hence the scornful reference to Pokémon (with apologies to Pokémon fans I guess... hehe).

Full disclosure, I used to play and Enjoy "Magic: The Gathering" back when it first came out, but retired from that sort of game before Pokemon and the various similar derivative games arrived on the scene.
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:

Those do work a bit better, I was struggling to find something that worked. Surprised you didn't get the reference at first. Though, it's partly because I never both with the proper "é" character.

There was just so many possible Pokemon references. Could've been a dig at overly 'pack filler' ships (overly collectible), maybe over hyped gimmicks, or the creature "ships." While Pokemon generally isn't overly hated now that the hype died down a decade ago, there's a couple ways it could be used as a derogatory term Laughing Laughing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: