Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
@Woelf: What is the approximate cost of "forts cannot hit this ship"?
That's a really cheap one. If you're making a custom ship, you're fine going with 1 or 2 points.

OK, I'm putting it on a crew, so I'll go with 2 points for now and see how it goes if he ever gets to crew a ship. XD
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
woelf wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
@Woelf: What is the approximate cost of "forts cannot hit this ship"?
That's a really cheap one. If you're making a custom ship, you're fine going with 1 or 2 points.

OK, I'm putting it on a crew, so I'll go with 2 points for now and see how it goes if he ever gets to crew a ship. XD
On a crew, 2 is probably better anyways because then you're not locked into using the handful of ships with it built-in. A cost of 1 would be fine as a ship ability.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote

@Woelf: What about the cost of a completely boring guaranteed extra action?

"Once per turn, you may give any ship in your fleet an extra action."

This generally breaks the game, and would have to cost more than 10 points.

I have this on a couple pieces in my custom set, and I'm trying to think of something powerful that gives extra actions with ease but is somewhat less boring and automatic. I already have various die rolling abilities for EA's (such as 1-3: EA, 4-6: AA; so guaranteed but not always an AA/Mycron action). I still want something powerful, and cost is no issue since I already have crew in my set that cost more than 10 points.

There are various historical crew that were massively successful and popular Admirals, and I want to make each one somewhat unique with abilities that reflect their influence on what could be fleets of dozens of ships. Since these crew are mostly meant for huge games, I'm desperately staying away from some of the stuff I've already edited out, such as "on a 5-6, give all your ships +S to their base move this turn" or +1 to cannon rolls on all ships in your fleet. (due to horrendous scaling issues that wreck all balance)

woelf wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
woelf wrote:
...That's a really cheap one. If you're making a custom ship, you're fine going with 1 or 2 points.

On a crew, 2 is probably better anyways because then you're not locked into using the handful of ships with it built-in. A cost of 1 would be fine as a ship ability.

Also, what about this one: This ship gets +1 to her cannon rolls against forts within S of her. Based on his other ability that one would be 2 or 3 points, yet it seems like the "forts cannot hit" ability is far better.

~~~~~~~~~~

Check out my fansite at Pirates with Ben!
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:

The cost is that it breaks the game and brings generations of shame to anyone who uses it.

Mycron guarantees an action for 6 points, but technically does it by transferring the action from one ship to another. Considering how easily that can be (and is) abused, something that guarantees a full extra action for any ship in the fleet, every turn, without some huge negative tacked on should cost at least double that.

As something intended to be used primarily in high-point games where high costs don't matter nearly as much, that may still not be enough.

Quote:
woelf wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:

Also, what about this one: This ship gets +1 to her cannon rolls against forts within S of her. Based on his other ability that one would be 2 or 3 points, yet it seems like the "forts cannot hit" ability is far better.
+1 Against Pirates is a 2 or 3 point ability depending on where it's used, so you're safe going with 2 for the +1 against Forts part by itself.

I think the bonus attacking the fort is better than being protected from forts, because an attacking ship should always get the first strike, and if that's decisive enough (and/or the ship has backup) it won't matter if the fort can shoot back or not.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:

The cost is that it breaks the game and brings generations of shame to anyone who uses it.

Mycron guarantees an action for 6 points, but technically does it by transferring the action from one ship to another. Considering how easily that can be (and is) abused, something that guarantees a full extra action for any ship in the fleet, every turn, without some huge negative tacked on should cost at least double that.

As something intended to be used primarily in high-point games where high costs don't matter nearly as much, that may still not be enough.

Definitely... since it's inevitably going to be stupidly expensive in regular games (20+ points) but still undercosted in huge games (over dozens of turns those 20 points might not be enough for all the actions that could be given...), I think I'll just go with a totally different ability.

Quote:
I think the bonus attacking the fort is better than being protected from forts, because an attacking ship should always get the first strike, and if that's decisive enough (and/or the ship has backup) it won't matter if the fort can shoot back or not.

Surprised This doesn't make sense to me. I'd much rather have complete immunity to the fort's only way of hurting me (cannons) than a bonus which might not even help defeat the fort because it's based on lucky cannon rolls. Not to mention, the "forts can't hit" ability allows a ship without a captain to sail up and defeat the fort without ever having a chance of getting hit. It doesn't even matter if you get the first strike - you can be lazy and not even go up against the fort like you normally would (saving you points on a captain if you so desire). In addition, the immunity would allow you to take the fort apart at your leisure - suppose an enemy ship comes alongside while you're blasting away at it. The ability could let you take care of the new ship first and not even worry about which cannons were shooting at that ship vs. shooting at the fort. You could just take the fort out later. It also completely eliminates the need for backup, and is one of the best counters to Paradis. +1 against Paradis could be almost negligible against it, while the immunity guarantees victory.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote

A ship has Barrel o' Monkeys, a facedown abandoned helmsman, and a regular coin. I start a move action, and so I flip the helmsman over. Once it gets flipped, it counts as crew, and can't be a target of the malicious monkeys. However, can I flip it at the beginning of the move action, before I technically move away from the island and trigger the monkeys? I think you should be able to, but I don't normally play with face down crew, and of course abandoned crew have some funky rules stuff.

Editing this post as the game happens...

The PC entry for Bad Maps:

The Pirate Code wrote:
Bad Maps
-The island placement restrictions apply only during setup, and have no effect on where this island can be moved.
-The island and any ships docked at the island are moved together as a single unit.
-The island and any docked ships cannot be moved into contact with any other ships, islands, terrain, or the edges of the playing area.

As for that last part, what about being moved OVER stuff? (especially "transparent" terrain like fog and whirlpools) This would be with no overlap once it's moved the full 2L, but it has to move over minor obstacles on the way there.

... playing the same game, and another question just came up.

If the Akua Lapu arrives home with a face down abandoned helmsman (which ties into another very obscure PC ruling, how bizarre) and unloads it, can I use the free crew transfer to put him on another ship? If not, how would a ship load a face down abandoned crew once they're on your HI?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
A ship has Barrel o' Monkeys, a facedown abandoned helmsman, and a regular coin. I start a move action, and so I flip the helmsman over. Once it gets flipped, it counts as crew, and can't be a target of the malicious monkeys. However, can I flip it at the beginning of the move action, before I technically move away from the island and trigger the monkeys? I think you should be able to, but I don't normally play with face down crew, and of course abandoned crew have some funky rules stuff.
The bonus from a Helmsman is applied after the ship's normal movement segment(s), so technically you don't reveal it until after the ship has already left the island, so the monkeys will have already triggered. You've got only a 50/50 chance of still having that Helmsman when you reach the end of the ship's movement.

Quote:

The PC entry for Bad Maps:

The Pirate Code wrote:
Bad Maps
-The island placement restrictions apply only during setup, and have no effect on where this island can be moved.
-The island and any ships docked at the island are moved together as a single unit.
-The island and any docked ships cannot be moved into contact with any other ships, islands, terrain, or the edges of the playing area.

As for that last part, what about being moved OVER stuff? (especially "transparent" terrain like fog and whirlpools) This would be with no overlap once it's moved the full 2L, but it has to move over minor obstacles on the way there.
They're moved together, not teleported, so they can't go over other objects in between. The person moving them must pick another direction or stop them when they first bump into something.

Quote:

If the Akua Lapu arrives home with a face down abandoned helmsman (which ties into another very obscure PC ruling, how bizarre) and unloads it, can I use the free crew transfer to put him on another ship? If not, how would a ship load a face down abandoned crew once they're on your HI?
The free crew transfer only applies if the Helmsman is face up. If you unload him to your home island as treasure, the only way to get him back is to let some other player use a HI-Raider to steal him while still counted as a treasure.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote

How much should Hidden Cove cost? I have an idea for a custom, I know HC is listed at 2 points, what should it actually cost?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
How much should Hidden Cove cost? I have an idea for a custom, I know HC is listed at 2 points, what should it actually cost?
The cost is what it is.

The text should have been nearest explored wild island rather than nearest unexplored. It makes far more sense thematically that way, and wouldn't be remotely as overpowered.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote

This is from my first 5 fleet 500 point game, which was also the game that prompted me to ask about the "new" and legal chain towing a long time ago. Found it while rereading the report for a thread project I'm doing.

For the Filching Gold ability, can you take a treasure from a ship that the ship is touching at the beginning of her turn, and then move away?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
This is from my first 5 fleet 500 point game, which was also the game that prompted me to ask about the "new" and legal chain towing a long time ago. Found it while rereading the report for a thread project I'm doing.

For the Filching Gold ability, can you take a treasure from a ship that the ship is touching at the beginning of her turn, and then move away?
At one point there had been a ruling that made a distinction between "touches" and "is touching", but I can't find anything specific about it in the Pirate Code.

Strictly by the wording, that ability only functions when the initial contact is made, so you can't keep spontaneously pulling treasures from the other ship by leaving them parked together.
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if this should be it's own thread but...

I am in the process of trying to catalog and organize my Pirate set. A difficulty I am running into is that I don't know what set some of my ships are from. Now I could go to the miniature search and do this for every ship but I was hoping I could use the symbols on the left corner of the deck cards as a way to identify which set they are from. However, I don't know what symbols correspond to what set and I haven't been able to find a list or any thread about it. Is there such a list? Are the symbols unique to each set? (I have always assumed they were.)

Can someone give me a list of the symbols and their corresponding set?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
Can someone give me a list of the symbols and their corresponding set?

This should work (Savage Shores is like a tree stump/fire); it's also easy to memorize what the cards look like in terms of the color scheme.

SM: Parchment/canvas
CC: Red
RV: Blue
BC: Orange
SCS: Green
DJC: Dark blue/indigo
MI: Light gray
FN: White
OE: Light purple/whitish
PotC: Yellow/brown (start of dual colors)
RotF: Red/yellow
F&S: Metallic gray/yellow
SS: Green/yellow
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Can a ship deposit treasure from its hold as part of an explore action?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote

The Pirate Code wrote:
-If a towed ship cannot be aligned straight behind the towing ship because some other object is in the way, the towed ship may be placed at an angle until the next time the towing ship moves and sufficient space has become available.

Can the "object" be a passable terrain piece, such as a sargasso sea, or does it have to be an above-water object?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16

Jump to: