main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
What constitutes a "Complete Set"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you consider to be a complete set of Pirates CSG?
Everything you can get from packs - the regular C/U/R/SR distribution
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Everything you can get from packs, boxes, and tins (this includes the SE's from boxes and tins)
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Everything including all tournament/convention prizes (typically PR's/promo stuff)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ALL card-based items, including all mail-ins (such as Zeus, Specter, etc)
73%
 73%  [ 11 ]
Absolutely everything, including busts, stories, tins, 3D island/terrain sets, etc.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: What constitutes a "Complete Set"?   PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote

Perhaps this is unnecessary and will be 100% for one option, but it's a solid question especially for those that can say "I'm in the market". Wink

The choices are intended to go from "least complete" to "most complete", meaning each choice would have the above choices included in addition to the new stuff added with that choice.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote

My view of a "complete" set would be anything in a factory set, plus mail-ins and promos from that set (assuming they're not already in the factory set).

Collecting things like 3rd-party island (even "officially licensed" ones like GF9's), non-gameplay-relevant tournament prizes and giveaways like the busts, packaging material like the tins, and unreleased prototypes (SiaBs, etc.) is a whole other level of crazy.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote

I'd say- just the main set itself, C/U/R/SR's. To an extent some of the SE's- like Boxtop ships, and some of the MegaCards- like those from Ocean's Edge megapacks and Savage Shores boxes.
Accessibility is key.

I only say this because hunting down Promo's and Mail-in's, and other LE's can take forever and cost quite a bit of money.

you have a complete base set; you'd have to be a total completionist to get every card made for the set.
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote

<- Total Completionist
selvaxri wrote:
you'd have to be a total completionist to get every card made for the set.

I am a completionist with my completed collection (missing several collectors tins from SM, 1 from OE and i think that's it) and will get every card (excluding non-named crew beyond a base of 3 to 5 selected from random sets) from every set for my play set which is shy only 31 cards. The only card I am likely to never see is another Obago Deuce not that I would ever include it in my play set anyway.
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote

xeriousone wrote:
<- Total Completionist
selvaxri wrote:

I am a completionist with my completed collection (missing several collectors tins from SM, 1 from OE and i think that's it) and will get every card (excluding non-named crew beyond a base of 3 to 5 selected from random sets) from every set for my play set which is shy only 31 cards. The only card I am likely to never see is another Obago Deuce not that I would ever include it in my play set anyway.

You HAVE an Obago Deuce? Shocked
godmason

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote

I think a complete set has to include everything from commons to SRs, promos, SE/boxed ships, and mail-ins.
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
xeriousone wrote:
<- Total Completionist
selvaxri wrote:

You HAVE an Obago Deuce? Shocked

Yes that one amazed me when I got it along with 100 or so other items in a pay for trade deal with vosarnath who was getting rid of his cards and collection. The amazing part of that is I only got a share of his good stuff, several other members got other parts.
vixenishcoder66
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote

I only have a few promos in my collection but one thing I often have wondered is how did Wizkids determine what ships would be special edition or Promo? Were they designed specifically to fit the role for each released set? If so what guidelines were used to design them? Or were just a few of the selected ships for the new set chosen "randomly" to be Promo or SE?

What are your thoughts?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
I only have a few promos in my collection but one thing I often have wondered is how did Wizkids determine what ships would be special edition or Promo? Were they designed specifically to fit the role for each released set? If so what guidelines were used to design them? Or were just a few of the selected ships for the new set chosen "randomly" to be Promo or SE?

What are your thoughts?

Those seem like questions only a former/current Wizkids employee could answer, not that they would necessarily be willing to even if you found the right person. Even Woelf was in the dark on almost everything.

I wouldn't assume they were chosen randomly, since they are often mediocre 4 mast ships (for the SE box ships) or specific ship types that are generally overpriced such as one masters of various types.
godmason

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
I wouldn't assume they were chosen randomly, since they are often mediocre 4 mast ships (for the SE box ships) or specific ship types that are generally overpriced such as one masters of various types.
I'm willing to bet they were created from the get go to be SE boxed ships. They're 4 masts because they wanted new players who didn't get lucky with the packs inside the box to still have a flagship, I imagine. They didn't need to be great ships if buyers were still glad to have them.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
I'm willing to bet they were created from the get go to be SE boxed ships. They're 4 masts because they wanted new players who didn't get lucky with the packs inside the box to still have a flagship, I imagine. They didn't need to be great ships if buyers were still glad to have them.

Good point and that makes sense. The Broken Key and Black Diamond were the Pirate flagships of my original collection of 49 ships.

That said, it's nice to see ships like Franklin, Red Curse, and Hades' Realm pop up occasionally to give an extra incentive to get a particular box.
godmason

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote

It's a shame only a few of the boxed ships were any good. Franklin's an excellent example, though, because she's got some absolutely top-shelf firepower.
vixenishcoder66
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:

You make a good point, I definitely bought boxed sets because of their value and the guaranteed 4 mast ship which helped build my small collection. I remember discussing with my brother how we felt the Special Edition ships didn't seem as good as some of our rare ships. We thought they should be more unique and powerful since they are "special". Regardless we were glad to have more pirates! Very Happy
godmason

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
[You make a good point, I definitely bought boxed sets because of their value and the guaranteed 4 mast ship which helped build my small collection. I remember discussing with my brother how we felt the Special Edition ships didn't seem as good as some of our rare ships. We thought they should be more unique and powerful since they are "special". Regardless we were glad to have more pirates! Very Happy
Thanks!

I don't think i ended up with any SE stuff until I saved up to buy an OE megapack. I think I got Mystic from said pack.
dholub1
Expert
Expert

Subject: A whole other level of crazy...   PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
My view of a "complete" set would be anything in a factory set, plus mail-ins and promos from that set (assuming they're not already in the factory set).

Collecting things like 3rd-party island (even "officially licensed" ones like GF9's), non-gameplay-relevant tournament prizes and giveaways like the busts, packaging material like the tins, and unreleased prototypes (SiaBs, etc.) is a whole other level of crazy.

Woelf, you labeled me correctly. Cool The first instance of hearing the word "complete" may have resided with Old Man or maybe Holofernes. Nonetheless, it was indeed my goal to be "complete" with these captains of the coast. Alas, I may have come up a bit short for the not so foreseeable future. Depending on what "complete" really is, it appears that I may only need 2 cards to make the case for "complete".

I only need PofSMU 013-G Roter Teufel and F+S P08 Obago Deuce.

I've given up actively searching for SiaB's and other "Tridents of Poseidon" type treasures, borrowing from the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I still have active searches on eBay daily, hoping for something to turn up with the tide. I have most everything else and don't expect to part with any of it any time soon as Pirates is near and dear to my heart on so many levels.

If any of you brethren are reading this and would like to offer either of these cards for immediate trade and/or sale, feel free to contact me. I'm sure we can get something done.

I have really enjoyed the game and MT for all of these years. While not a hugely active member here, I do my best to pop in and read the forum and see what's going on and who is still here. I hope this place stays around for many moons to come.

All the best to ye scurvy dogs!!

Respectfully Submitted,
dholub1 Cool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: