bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Game Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marhawkman

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote

Well, I just wanted to come up with something to make the Whitebeard faction useful for SOMETHING, even if it's a novelty scenario.

Also, you're not really fighting Whitebeard, it's a contest to see who can capitalize on Whitebeard's rampage most.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: To the land of the sticky threads   PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Bump and sticky! This makes my second sticky thread after the Thread of Threads. Embarassed Laughing

Of course if popular opinion reveals this ought NOT to be a sticky, that's fine too. With the announcement over this makes 7 "abnormal" threads at the top of the forum, which seems like a solid consistent number to stick with for now.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote

I think I'm going to try a game with a much denser concentration of islands, some butting up against each other, so that there is relatively little space to maneuver. Only some of the islands will have treasure.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote

I had a scenario set up yesterday for a PotC-themed game. These were the fleets:

Using different UT's, the goal for the Pirates (DJ and the kraken were functioning as the Cursed) was to find both the Dead Man's Chest and Davy Jones' Key. Cannibals would kill one of the crew, while Cotton's Parrot would allow you to look at one face down treasure. The Letter of Marque was basically just a decoy, a useless find to frustrate Jack and Blackbeard.

Going through my named crew from the PotC set, it was apparent how many cool movie-based scenarios one could create. It's also cool that Blackbeard and the Queen Anne's Revenge are part of the game, and I'm sure people will come up with their own custom game pieces based on the new movie.

Edit: This game is an example of another fun scenario that comes from PotC.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote

Point system idea for combat by captain_arrr

Anonymous wrote:
captain_arrr wrote:
At our venue, we dole out points in multiplayer games for combat. It goes:

1 point for a mast eliminated
2 points for the sink
3 points if you capture a ship and tow it back to your HI.

Thats what we do to, but then we use those points, along with treasure in a standard game, to build onto our fleets for the next week. It becomes a long-running campaign, but we usually put a build-cap, like the first one to get 100 point fleet built wins the campaign. Then, we start over with a 40 point fleet.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote

Just created VASSAL ocean files for two of the scenarios I've played. Now these will be very easy to play since we already have a template set up.

Circle of Blood

Defense of St. Helens

Just check out the Notes section in each file for additional information.
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote

Had an idea for a unique treasure but am still working out how I think it should work. Taking inspiration from the Turtles UT I figured this would be a period relevant treasure for the game. Whales! Instead of protecting them as they approach your HI; the whales would move quickly and randomly like icebergs except with a guaranteed movement each turn. Players could choose to hunt these whales for oil which would count for gold. Hunting would need to be made a bit of a challenge so perhaps only a roll of 5 or 6 results in a successful hunt. Perhaps even a roll of a 1 removes a mast or crew.

The number of whales could vary depending on a d6 roll. I figure using the base plates from submarines could represent submerged whales fairly well.
I don't have Turtles so I don't know how it well it fits into normal game play. I get the impression that turtles was met with mixed feelings so this may not be a UT for everyone.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:02 am Reply with quote

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
Had an idea for a unique treasure but am still working out how I think it should work. Taking inspiration from the Turtles UT I figured this would be a period relevant treasure for the game. Whales! Instead of protecting them as they approach your HI; the whales would move quickly and randomly like icebergs except with a guaranteed movement each turn. Players could choose to hunt these whales for oil which would count for gold. Hunting would need to be made a bit of a challenge so perhaps only a roll of 5 or 6 results in a successful hunt. Perhaps even a roll of a 1 removes a mast or crew.

The number of whales could vary depending on a d6 roll. I figure using the base plates from submarines could represent submerged whales fairly well.

If you stick with this idea as a UT, this should go in Custom Ships instead. Or you could turn it into more of a whale-hunting scenario.

I actually think it's pretty clever, given that whaling is a way to involve sea creatures in a more historical way than what was released. I definitely agree that there would have to be a potential downside.

It's also a potential resource (the oil) for rulesets like Economy Edition, and could add a bit of flavor to the game if it was a resource acquired via the sea versus the standard exploration of islands. (though I'd be a bit hesitant morally to use it)

Quote:
I don't have Turtles so I don't know how it well it fits into normal game play. I get the impression that turtles was met with mixed feelings so this may not be a UT for everyone.

Turtles is fun and captures a lot of attention when revealed; my only real issue with it is how effective it is. It can turn a game based on who finds it, which can make it OP. I prefer going with random gold during setup, but if you're using a standard treasure distribution Turtles adds 33% more gold into the mix, but it's only available for one player (unless they both add the UT for up to 50 gold total, but then you have a worse problem if the same person finds both copies). Of course there's the solid chance it backfires when you include it, but you can really optimize your chances of finding via various means and it's free unlike bonuses which usually take a lot of time and effort to get a full extra 10 gold out of them. Perhaps it would have been a little better at 5 turtles, or if the opponent could capture them via S-boarding or some 1-point net equipment or something lol. (although then you could have everyone fighting over the turtles, and UT's aren't supposed to dominate the game that much)

I've seen too many games where Turtles was found early in the game on a wild island right near the player's home island. This can make the entire affair a game of catch-up for the other player, especially since the turtles are hard to eliminate near a player's HI with enemy ships often coming and going. Only a few other UT's can match the potential gold output, but when it's so one-sided it can become a bit annoying to see time and time again (Xerecs can certainly attest to this, as I got lucky with it during VASSAL Tournament #1).
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote

Found some house rules from a tweet.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote

Just added this to the bottom of the main post.

On a similar tack, I'm interested in the way the game is played in regards to points afloat and making it more of a practical game. In reality, there weren't gold-laden islands lying around waiting to be explored ad infinitum. The real value was in resources, political power, and of course winning engagements in a decisive manner.

- Whoever has the most points in play AND gold in play at the end of the game is the winner.

Here's an example. Two people set up for a 40 point game, so both start the game with 40 points. These points can fluctuate throughout, but you'd rather have that number go up (through captures) than down (through sinkings and deaths). Player A captures two 5 point ships from Player B, giving him a 50-30 point advantage at the end. Player B collects 15 gold to Player A's 7, resulting in a 57-45 victory for Player A.

This can't be new, but I also haven't seen it discussed that I remember. There are variations you could try, such as those in the thread linked above. Perhaps ships are only worth their full point cost if they have all their masts. Each lost mast could be -2 to the final tally.

The problems include making combat too important, and making the treasure game almost irrelevant if low value coins are used. In games with this (or similar) rule, perhaps only coins with a value of at least 4 could be used.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote

Getting more inspiration from this, where gold starts on HI's and players rob each other. How about a variant: HI raiders are still allowed, but ships can only be given actions if they have coins aboard. This forces you to sail out and be aggressive so you can't just sit back and sink your opponents when they come for your gold. Sounds like a fun variant to try out!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: