bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Fleet Challenge - In Search of El Dorado
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Fleet Challenge - In Search of El Dorado   PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 am Reply with quote

El Dorado, a name that, over time, has been attached to more myths than most anything in history.
Was it a man, a king, who'd once been submerged in a lake while covered in gold dust as a rite of initiation?
Perhaps, it was a golden city...
Or, perhaps, the city was but the hub of a vast, gilded empire...

No matter the iteration, tales of the legendary 'El Dorado' and its/their lost treasures have been the base of numerous voyages and expeditions throughout time. Thanks to writings and maps recently discovered from an expedition into the Orinoco River Basin in 1537, it's about to launch a few more.

The writings are from a spare hand in the employ of the German conquistador Georg von Speyer, and notes that, though several instances of trace gold were discovered throughout the expedition, whose actual length spanned between the years 1531-1538, the entries from 1537 stand out, as they point out 'tunnels', and sites of possible civilizations around the coast of South America, near the location where the Orinoco River meets the Atlantic Ocean.

Word has spread of these new writings, and the maps and drawings accompanying them. The Vatican lays claim to the original text. Official records state that missionaries returning from Venezuela presented these writings to the church, and rumors persist that they are linked to a copy of von Speyer's narrative to Charles V, sent to the Holy Roman Emperor shortly before the conquistador's death out of the city of Santo Domingo. This opens the possibility of multiple copies of the narrative, and the new information regarding the lost 'City of Gold', which will doubtless whet the appetites of the fearless treasure-seekers of the world once more!

The Challenge

This challenge will be a variant of lord_denton's 'Sliders' challenge idea.
-Fleets will be 25 points (After all, the countries/companies financing these expeditions have most likely been down this road before, and won't be too inclined to sink vast wealth into a wild goose chase)
-Fleets must be based around a nationality, but may 'hire' up to one ship of another nationality (Mercenaries won't count as a nationality in this, but their ships can be considered 'free agents' for hire in the other nationality slot)
-One named crew must be used, representing the individual tasked with leading the expedition
-No events, Mysterious Islands, or custom pieces
-All sets allowed (including RtSS)

Scoring

As you might have noticed from my battle reports, I prefer to try adding a touch of narrative to explanations of games, in an effort to illustrate the flow of the game and enhance the entertainment level of the report overall. In a similar fashion, entrants will be tasked with coming up with a small story (a paragraph or two will more than suffice, but feel free to write as much as you'd like) to explain the 'how's and 'why's of their expedition's origin. After all, it takes a person of some distinctive character traits to search out for something that has been searched for (in vain) so long that its existence is largely doubted by the finest minds of the day. Added to that, said person must also receive a commission (assuming they simply don't have limitless resources of their own to fund this) to crew ships and buy provisions.

While it most likely won't be the deciding factor in the challenge's outcome, points will be awarded for thought-out stories as to your expedition's origin in regards to logic and originality.

Voting is encouraged! Please, if you do vote, try to be as objective as possible, and do comment as to why you are rating the fleet in question as you are. I'll be looking the fleets over myself, and will rate them to the best of my abilities.

Though it's certainly not required, if people are interested in VASSAL play for this, I'd be more than happy to design a map and some UT setups to fit the flavor of the challenge. Who knows, we might even get a VASSAL weekend out of it... Very Happy

Prizes

Aside from the standard bragging rights and hosting honors for the next challenge, I have a few sealed packs in my spare room (you know, that place that was GOING to be a game room/office, but then...). They're F&S, OE, and BCU, but I'd be happy to send 6 packs to the winner (they can mix/match from what sets they'd prefer the packs from) if they'd like.

Deadline

Submission Deadline will be Friday, September 8th, 11:59 pm (forum time). That gives everyone over a month, and, since Sunday, the 10th is my birthday, I can spend my spare time Saturday night and Sunday judging the fleets with as little interruption as possible, because hey, it's my birthday!

Additionally, as it's my first challenge hosting, if anyone has any thoughts on what I've laid out, please feel free to voice them. I'm always receptive to constructive criticism, and the overall goal is to make sure the challenge is as fun for people as possible.

With that said, have fun and good luck!

Last edited by repkosai on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
pirateaj14
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote

I haven't tried a fleet challenge before but I might try my hand at this. This seems to be a good idea.
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:20 am Reply with quote

Wow, the effort put into this is nice. I am inspired and excited to participate in this, and I think I know what direction I would like my story to take

My one question is whether or not there's a special goal for this challenge of not. Should we be prepping for combat and gold hunting, just gold hunting, or something else entirely? I just want to make sure since the theming of this challenge is so thorough.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote

This is intriguing, I'm in. Could you perhaps post a link of LD's Sliders idea? I've got some flavor ideas that may shape my fleet.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote

I am in =) More text needed.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote

I'll be entering this too! Somewhat ironic timing because I've stumbled across El Dorado on Wikipedia (not in real life! Razz) multiple times over the past few months.
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote

From notalwaysyou:
Quote:
My one question is whether or not there's a special goal for this challenge of not. Should we be prepping for combat and gold hunting, just gold hunting, or something else entirely? I just want to make sure since the theming of this challenge is so thorough.

A very good question, and one that would actually be best answered by the way your fleet takes shape. After all, this is the legendary El Dorado, and links to such legends tend to be sought out by bold and dangerous souls. If you'd had the good fortune of coming upon information that could help your quest, it's entirely possible others have as well. That said, buried treasures seem to be on a first-come, first-served basis, so speedy ships would almost seem to have a certain advantage... at least, getting there!

From Xerecs:
Quote:
This is intriguing, I'm in. Could you perhaps post a link of LD's Sliders idea? I've got some flavor ideas that may shape my fleet.

Sure, found it here. It's letter L.

Thank you all for the enthusiasm for this idea!
wifey
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Count me in! Now, to make a decent back story.....
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote

Hrm, what about UTs? I mean the ultimate treasure is El Dorado, but if we are actually playing this out possibly are we allowed to use them?
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote

also are +5 crew allowed? (or limit crew in general)

edit: also, I always forgot this - is the rule a 0 pt crew cannot be assigned to a ship that is not their nationality?
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote

From Volt:
Quote:
also are +5 crew allowed? (or limit crew in general)

Yes, all limit crew are allowed, including the oLR, +5 crews. In fact, I feel they have a special spot in consideration, considering the nature of the challenge.

Quote:
Hrm, what about UTs? I mean the ultimate treasure is El Dorado, but if we are actually playing this out possibly are we allowed to use them?

For the purposes of the challenge, fleets are not required to contribute any treasures, as all treasures applicable would be included in the VASSAL scenario. As for general use, if you'd like to come up with some to compliment you fleet, go for it. Heck, I could think of a couple that could REALLY wreak havoc with other fleets in something such as this.

From a7xfanben:
Quote:
I'll be entering this too! Somewhat ironic timing because I've stumbled across El Dorado on Wikipedia (not in real life! Razz) multiple times over the past few months.

I figured you'd enjoy the little details. I must admit, though, in my haste to get more than 5 hours sleep last night, I failed to cross-reference the information from the Wikipedia page for authenticity purposes. Still, i suppose that as I worded it, the info regarding von Speyer and his narrative would be just as relevant to the challenge if they were only rumored to exist... Smile
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote

repkosai wrote:
Quote:

For the purposes of the challenge, fleets are not required to contribute any treasures, as all treasures applicable would be included in the VASSAL scenario. As for general use, if you'd like to come up with some to compliment you fleet, go for it. Heck, I could think of a couple that could REALLY wreak havoc with other fleets in something such as this.

Are those UT's supposed to remain a mystery for the potential for VASSAL play? If so, it makes sense, given the very unknown nature of looking for El Dorado....
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote

This sounds fun, but I can't guarantee I'll remember to enter. Consider me a tentative entry.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
This sounds fun, but I can't guarantee I'll remember to enter. Consider me a tentative entry.

The amount of social and digital "remind me" apps, clocks, and calendars in this day and age make that completely irrelevant. Smile Sorry it just strikes me as an odd excuse.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
repkosai wrote:
Quote:

Are those UT's supposed to remain a mystery for the potential for VASSAL play? If so, it makes sense, given the very unknown nature of looking for El Dorado....

In addition, can we submit our fleets before the deadline or do you want that to be a true Grand Reveal Day?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: