main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Are you INTERESTED in playing a campaign game on VASSAL?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be INTERESTED in playing a campaign game on VASSAL?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
No
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Are you INTERESTED in playing a campaign game on VASSAL?   PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote

If you're not sure please read the post!

The key word here is INTERESTED. This isn't a commitment or a planning thread; I'm just trying to gauge interest. If you don't know what VASSAL is, it's an engine for running board game modules, and bj_o created one a while back. This is the new thread. A campaign or cumulative game is simply a game where the game expands by spending gold to acquire new stuff, though complicated rulesets can add to the epic nature of the games.

I completely understand that a lot of people haven't looked at it much yet, and/or haven't played a game on it yet. It's always good to start small and build up from there. However, the potential of VASSAL is huge. Since games can be saved and sent to people, a campaign game on VASSAL is only limited by how much time someone has. The usual reasons for the end of campaign games (going off to school, other major commitments/life goals, etc.) get thrown out the window.

Now, ANY campaign game is daunting. I know this better than anyone. Laughing HOWEVER, I'd like to point out some reasons why a campaign game on VASSAL would actually be EASIER in a lot of ways.
1. You don't have to get out ships. (When launching things often, it's rather annoying to have to go and get ships all the time)
2. There aren't any time constraints - like I said before, the usual time limits of campaign games are severely lessened in a virtual setting.
3. No sitting on the floor in a painful position or having to get into and out of a chair all the time - everything is on the screen. Also, since you'd be on a computer while playing, you could easily get MT up to look up game pieces for their stats and whatnot.
4. No space constraints - the size of a table or floor can limit a player's desire to see a huge game, and it can hamper mobility during the game. I've already experimented with the "Build your own" ocean option and it's essentially limitless how big the ocean could be.

I've also thought about the possibility of team playing or a sort of "drop-in" playing. For people that have less time for playing, this could be an option. Two people could form a team where they control the same fleet but play at different times. Also, if a player didn't have the time to commit to a campaign game, they could play occasionally to get the feel of how a campaign game plays and works. When playing, El Cazador and I discussed the potential for simultaneous playing, where people do things at the same time as long as no combat is involved.

Time: My game with El Cazador on Friday took only about an hour in terms of the gameplay. This is about normal for a 40 point game, though of course we veterans can generally do it in much less time if we want to. (I generally find that rushing makes the game less enjoyable.) The setup did take about an hour, but that's mostly because we spent ~15 minutes figuring out how to set up an ocean, and then extra time setting up fleets and the sea since neither of us had almost ANY experience with VASSAL. As a result, once the campaign game starts, it wouldn't require a huge amount of time. I would estimate that for a while the game would only take between 1-4 hours per week (not a big commitment!); if it reached a giant size (for example over 2,000 points!) things might take longer, but maybe not. Once you get comfortable with the module's controls (it doesn't take long, as myself and El Cazador can attest), things go quicker, so it's entirely possible that as the game size expands and play theoretically goes slower, it wouldn't slow down too much because the players would be getting faster and faster with the controls and shortcuts.

Some notes about the ocean setup: Yesterday I was playing around with the ocean setup a bit. When you select "Build your own", you have the option of creating as many rows or columns as you like, where each one is represented by one of five options: Ocean 1 (the familiar blue ocean), corner, sides, top-bottom, and Hex Ocean. I figured that the default ocean (when you don't build your own) would be a few tiles or squares wide, but it's actually only 1! Very Happy This is great news, because it means that as soon as you start adding rows or columns, the ocean rapidly expands! I did a 3x3 experiment just now and the ocean is quite large. I also tried making the sides thicker on one side, which would be a non-play area for deckplates to go. It worked to some extent, but it also produced a mysterious white chunk on the opposite side beyond the play area. Laughing

I did some experimenting with very strange oceans - adding some "sides" jutting out from the middle, adding corners and tops in random places, etc. I was trying to simulate the effect of having two tables with a smaller barrier in the center (similar to xerecs' Economy Edition game). This worked reasonably well, but there was a mystery ocean chunk off to the bottom (in the case of a horizontal barrier) or the right side (in the case of a vertical barrier). I might make a post with pictures to help make it easier to visualize. Unfortunately, making relatively "random" oceans didn't really work - at first it looks cool, but when you start scrolling or dragging things, the screen glitches a bit and it would probably be impossible to play with. It is fun to mess around with. Very Happy

Hopefully you're interested! It would be a blast!
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Customs   PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote

I'd like to use customs, so hopefully I can get the rest of my set out of the drydock. Razz
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Customs   PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
I'd like to use customs, so hopefully I can get the rest of my set out of the drydock. Razz

That goes for both of us. My set is more or less complete, just need to re-work three ships with problems.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Hooray, 4 yeses so far! I think the people who aren't interested don't want to vote no. Smile
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Alright, I have a pretty good idea of who 4 out of the 5 people are, but could each person who's voted either post here or in the other thread so I know for sure? (No offense to the mystery person but I'm not a psychic. Smile )

Actually, how about you post in this thread if you are INTERESTED but not willing to commit yet (we'd like to start both campaign games by the end of this coming weekend), but post in the newer thread if you'll be ready soon.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote

Between the recent interest shown by vixenishcoder66 and repkosai, I figured this could use an unlock. In addition, there are some other members who joined after this one locked up.

Assuming there's no real interest, doesn't hurt to have it available again.

PS: Speaking of campaign games, that thread I've hinted at a few times now has been delayed for various reasons. It might get posted within the next 2 months, or maybe not. Either way it should be done by the end of the year, but not within the next week or two like I thought recently.
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote

For the most part, I'm a fan of the pacing that a standard game gives. It's satisfying to play, offers a few of those 'ah-ha!' moments, and doesn't take up too much time in a day, allowing it to be fit in unless schedules get really busy.
That said, testing out a prolonged, campaign style rules set, I found myself simply in awe of some of the twists and turns that come out of prolonged play. And, with the save files, finding time to at least take your turn a day should even fit in a busy schedule. If we get one off the ground, I'll happily play!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote

repkosai wrote:
For the most part, I'm a fan of the pacing that a standard game gives. It's satisfying to play, offers a few of those 'ah-ha!' moments, and doesn't take up too much time in a day, allowing it to be fit in unless schedules get really busy.
That said, testing out a prolonged, campaign style rules set, I found myself simply in awe of some of the twists and turns that come out of prolonged play. And, with the save files, finding time to at least take your turn a day should even fit in a busy schedule. If we get one off the ground, I'll happily play!

Careful my friend.... Campaign games can grow to MASSIVE size. If you haven't already, take a look at VASSAL Campaign game 1, which reached record setting point totals, and in which a single turn could take an HOUR or TWO.

As Ben and I know, Campaigns take a commitment, both in time and energy. That said, if there's anyone (aside from Ben and I) who are interested in getting another VASSAL campaign going, say the word.

@ Ben, do you suppose that this VASSAL weekend would be a good time to put together plans for a multi-player campaign with other interested party's?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
@ Ben, do you suppose that this VASSAL weekend would be a good time to put together plans for a multi-player campaign with other interested party's?

Possibly, but without vixenishcoder66 (or whoever else just voted yes because it was at 5 before the unlock) it would be more difficult. It's also a lot for someone (including me) to think about in the moment (in regards to players, factions, rulesets, etc). Planning a CG doesn't happen all at once, nor should it.

There's also the still-unannounced CG that we have planned, which could be a great opportunity for others to get involved with if we ever finish T2.
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote

I had not planned on being apart of the VASSAL game this weekend. I do plan on getting VASSAL set up and becoming familiar with it.

With regards to a campaign game I personally would prefer "permanent" alliances or teams to start. Having never played VASSAL or had the opportunity to play with any ship in the game at my disposal the learning curve may be a challenge. Unfortunately these teams may not be fair as there are several veterans I am sure would easily out play me. (I don't mind losing in fact I lose quite often against my friend at pirates. However, I do mind being the reason someone else doesn't enjoy a game and a campaign game is a BIG game to ruin for someone)

I do like that I would be able to play my turn when I wanted during a day/days. I have been wanting to play a campaign game so I would be willing to put forth the effort. I just want to be more informed and know what this will entail before I commit entirely.

Lastly I would hope we would make the turns not a daily requirement.

That's in general where I stand. Feel free to PM me if you need clarification or want to discuss more. I will be on once again tomorrow to respond.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
With regards to a campaign game I personally would prefer "permanent" alliances or teams to start. Having never played VASSAL or had the opportunity to play with any ship in the game at my disposal the learning curve may be a challenge. Unfortunately these teams may not be fair as there are several veterans I am sure would easily out play me. (I don't mind losing in fact I lose quite often against my friend at pirates. However, I do mind being the reason someone else doesn't enjoy a game and a campaign game is a BIG game to ruin for someone)

Do you mean alliances between players or factions? If it was between players, I'm not totally sure how that would work. (feel free to elaborate)

Factional differences could be one way to provide a bit of a "handicap" if you will, in regards to the experience levels. For example, you could control the Pirates and I would have the Cursed or Jade Rebellion/etc.

Quote:
I do like that I would be able to play my turn when I wanted during a day/days. I have been wanting to play a campaign game so I would be willing to put forth the effort. I just want to be more informed and know what this will entail before I commit entirely.

We don't know what it would entail yet either, as all these posts have just occurred without previous discussion. There is A LOT to talk about before starting such an endeavor.

Quote:
Lastly I would hope we would make the turns not a daily requirement.

This certainly wouldn't be the case. It's more a finding the time by cutting excess junk that can lead to more playing. To avoid a repeat of CG2, the keys are consistency and communication. A turn a day is a lot, but a turn a week is most definitely not. If you know you can't play a turn for a week then sending an email saying so is better than getting 2 emails from me saying "hello?" or worse, us moving on without you because lack of basic communication skills. (eventually I will make a youtube rant called "NO is better than not responding" but not for a while most likely)

It seems as though we currently have 4 (and possibly more, speak up heh) interested parties. CG2 failed at 4, and later 3, players. As a result, we must proceed with caution. Again, passion for the game is extremely important as I note in the Guide thread. If you're expecting a major life change in the next few months or can anticipate a hiatus, starting a CG is not recommended. The time commitment is actually rather small (as little as half an hour per week, or as much as 2-4 hours per week), but understanding that the game could take many months is necessary. There's also the possibility of anyone joining the CG that Xerecs and I will eventually start, but that is farther off and a whole different animal.

I personally would much rather use a campaign ruleset than a generic cumulative game (due to CG1 and CG2 both being the latter). The rules for Economy Edition and Century of the Empires are reasonably simple and easy to memorize, though I'm open to other rulesets as well of course.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote

I've wanted to Try other campaign rulesets on VASSAL. In addition to the CG Ben and I have planned, I'd be down for a casual Economy game on VASSAL.
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote

I like the idea of Economy edition campaign.

If we only have 4-5 people then my idea for alliances becomes unnecessary. I had imagined it would be useful if the game grew past 6 players but that seems unlikely.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: This is exciting   PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I've wanted to Try other campaign rulesets on VASSAL. In addition to the CG Ben and I have planned, I'd be down for a casual Economy game on VASSAL.

Yes, casual sounds good. CG1 got rushed a bit at the end since I eventually was the only player with a shot at "winning" and I wanted to finish it before the end of that semester. On the other hand CG2 was the polar opposite, with multiple month-long hiatuses. Something in between would be best, especially with more than 2 players.

Since it's been so long since I played my Century of the Empires game (2013), I'm open to trying Xerecs' Century of Economy fusion (CoEC) or a slight variant of it. I realize this would make things more complicated for the new CG players, so I'm totally fine going with just regular EE.

Hopefully repkosai will also be interested in a campaign ruleset.

As far as factions go, I'd prefer the French, Americans, or Pirates (likely in that order, with the Americans a close second). These were the factions I didn't control in CG1, which is still on my mind nowadays and only finished up a little over a year ago. I would also be fine controlling a minor faction alliance, even if it excluded the Mercenaries for privateer (and 10 mast lol) reasons. Maybe we could even do combined factions to involve more game pieces (ie French Americans, Cursed Pirates, English with the BC's/JR make the most sense), but that is likely unnecessary with so many game pieces available especially when you throw in RtSS and custom stuff.

One thing is certain: I shouldn't be the English (I had them in CG1 and CG2) and Xerecs shouldn't be the Pirates (he had them in CG1 and CG2 as well). XD
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Funny you bring that up, I've been English for the past THREE campaign's my brothers and I have played. The Winter Economy Edition, CoEC 2016, and CoEC 2017. They've rather insisted that I choose another faction for next year, since they're tired of my antics as the English. Very Happy

If we try to play a Century of Economy, I'll have to make official or add an errata section for some various pieces of rules. For example, Ships may repair at any friendly Port and Fort. Military Ports can store and Spend Gold.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: