bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Ocean Terrain Contest #3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Ocean Terrain Contest #3   PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote

With at least 6 people interested, it's time to officially start the third Ocean Terrain Contest! I will also be posting this at the other Pirates forum sites.

The Contest
-Design any amount and type of custom Pirates CSG stuff for an epic ocean! (this includes islands, terrain, ships/wrecks (but focus on the islands and terrain), new table ideas, innovative ideas, etc.

You do not need an actual "board" for this contest; a very cheap and effective piece of blue fabric or tablecloth/etc can be had at many stores such as Joann Fabrics or Walmart. For final pictures, place your creations on your ocean in such a way as to display them all aesthetically and in a realistic and beautiful manner.

You may create more than one ocean or board for multiple contest entries, as long as the oceans are unique and don't use any of the same exact island/terrain pieces.

Duration of Contest
Starts on July 6th 2017 (anything created from the start of the poll thread can be used)
Ends on August 1st 2018! (this is the end of the creation period, when final pictures must be submitted to this thread. The voting will take place in August in the weeks afterward)

-Only things made during the submission period count (7/6/2017-8/1/2018)

Voting criteria

You MUST vote on all categories for ALL other entrants once the creation period ends on August 1st 2018. Failure to do so will result in disqualification or a permanent reduction to your total score by a huge margin (such as -10 to your overall score which would prevent you from winning any prizes).

These are the categories. All will be scored out of 5. (ie. 5/5 is the highest score you can receive in a single category, 25/25 would be a perfect score)
1. Visual Appearance (how amazing does the ocean look?)
2. Playability (how badly do you want to play games on this ocean? Has the creator actually played on their own ocean by submitting a battle report?)
3. Originality/New ideas (with two Ocean Terrain contests already in the books, try not to copy any ideas or make your ocean look too similar to past ones; links are below)
4. Ingenuity/resourcefulness of materials used (how well did the creator use what they had available? What did you learn from their creations?)
5. Excitement/Intangibles (how much did this ocean WOW you? Is it more memorable than the other oceans in the contest? Bonus points if you can document a game being played on the ocean!)

Just like the past contest hosted by redskullz, there will be voting allowed from the other sites this is posted on. These include:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10653/pirates-spanish-main
https://www.reddit.com/r/PiratesCSG/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/165340696838921/
http://www.pojo.biz/board/forumdisplay.php?f=126
http://custompirate.proboards.com/
http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com/smf/index.php?board=45.0

How to enter the Contest
1. Make a post in this thread stating that you will participate.
2. Send $20 via Paypal to:

-If you cannot send $20, send as much as you can now to secure your spot in the running, and try to make up the difference as the Contest goes on. In addition, if you're feeling generous, feel free to contribute more than $20 or offer specific prizes for winners. (if the latter, post here in this thread about what those ships/etc would be)
-I have created a second paypal account separate from my usual one for the sole purpose of this contest. The money will be stored there until the Prizes are distributed.

Prizes
1st Place: 50% of the money (ex: if 6 entrants contribute $20 each, the grand prize winner gets $60!)
2nd Place: 30% of the money
3rd Place: 20% of the money

-These prize percentages are subject to change based on participant feedback. (I originally had it at 70/20/10 but realized that 2nd and 3rd place would barely or not make back their initial investment lol. In addition, it will likely be very difficult to determine a winner so the prizes probably shouldn't be that extreme)
-Feel free to contribute extra prizes!
-As the host of the contest, I may send additional prizes (such as ships, crew, or packs) to entrants I feel deserve something as an Honorable Mention. (no promises though)

Other information
-DO NOT USE PHOTOBUCKET FOR PICTURES. Right now https://postimages.org/ is still working fine, but wherever you upload pics, please keep the original on your camera and/or computer to avoid losing it. Imgur is another option, although linking to a Google Photos album might be the most safe way to do this. With a long deadline it's entirely possible that multiple image hosting sites will become unsatisfactory, so we can discuss options as the months go on.
-Feel free to post a video "tour" of your ocean if you'd like, in addition to pictures. Explaining how things function, how you made your stuff, etc, might even help your scores in categories 3-5.
-Please post any comments or concerns in this thread and I will update this post as necessary.

For reference

Here are the threads for the past Ocean Terrain Contests:

Official Ocean Terrain Board Contest
Ocean Terrain Contest Voting Thread

Oceans Contest 2.0
Oceans Contest Voting Thread: The Easier Version (SO VOTE!!)

Here are some useful links for help building stuff: (thanks to vixenishcoder66 for compiling these)

www.terragenesis.co.uk
www.shiftinglands.com/projects/other-projects/p-o-t-s-m-tables-islands
www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php
https://robhawkinshobby.blogspot.com/p/terrain-tutorials.html
http://www.stormthecastle.com/miniatures/use-foam-to-make-miniature-terrain.htm
http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-Island-Gaming-Terrain/
Making Islands scenery for Dystopian Wars
p2 - Making Islands scenery for Dystopian Wars
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote

I am entering the contest and have submitted my $20. Let's get hyped! Very Happy
wifey
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote

I am entering the contest and will be submitting my $20.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote

The idea is intriguing. I may jump in down the road. Can't right now though since I'm planning to move to Arizona soon.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
The idea is intriguing. I may jump in down the road. Can't right now though since I'm planning to move to Arizona soon.

Absolutely, no rush at all heh. That's one advantage of this contest too - who knows how many entries we could get by August 1st of next year.

Wifey, thank you for entering the contest, I look forward to seeing your creations!

Now we await the other 4 who voted yes in the poll! Wink
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote

I am entering this contest! I'll send the $20 soon
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote

I have begun sourcing foam for a potentially large-scale endeavour; luckily I've been able to avoid spending money on anything so far (though I've haven't started making anything lol). I also have a bit more leftover stuff from my last round of custom-making (mostly in 2015), but I'll definitely have to acquire some stuff to be satisfied with what I might end up creating.

Anyone know of where to source free styrofoam from? (without literally dumpster diving heh)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote

Alright, this contest already WAS on, but now the clock is really ticking! 365 days to go!! Very Happy

Let's get more entries! For anyone who is on the fence, I can tell you from personal experience that making your own islands and terrain is completely worth it since it's so much fun to play with! (and you can impress your group and inspire them to buy stuff or make their own)
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote

I'm excited to see this, I won a few of rossinaz's custom islands in an eBay lot, which I now use almost exclusively. Custom islands just make the game look so good that you find yourself bringing your head down to "sea level" and gazing across the ocean.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Spray painting foam

This is important, because a ton of sources will tell you that spray paint will melt or dissolve foam. This is simply not true for all types of foam. My arches and other custom stuff I made back in 2015 was spray painted with no problems.

I just recently found articles like this that talk about the difference between "styrofoam" vs. expanded polystyrene foam (EPS). Check it out if you plan to use spray paint for any part of your Ocean Terrain project. I have been lucky so far with getting EPS (mostly sourced free from packages, boxes, etc), but be careful if you use spray paint.

~~~~~

Oh I have plans... some of which are already in motion... BIG plans indeed... Twisted Evil

I may find it very hard to avoid posting pictures early heh.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote

(^ check above to see my note about spray painting foam)

I'm officially starting to freak out about this now... I have so much foam and so many plans and ideas that they will not all fit on the same physical gaming ocean for a Pirates game... Shocked Twisted Evil

Already I'm having a lot of trouble NOT posting pictures... I haven't finished anything yet but doing some vague "preview" and "before" pictures has been on my mind a lot lately... gosh this is difficult heh. I can't decide whether or not to post pictures throughout the process, or wait and do "grand reveals" once every few months or something... the latter would be more shocking and striking, but the former is such a temptation....

I guess I could just ask a question then... does anyone know if they'd be inspired by seeing other people's "in progress" photos, or would it be too much of a spoiler/intimidating?
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:11 am Reply with quote

I could see it swinging both ways. I currently don't have much foam or other materials readily available to make islands with, especially for my 'special' idea. Some of us not as crafty folk could be intimidated seeing the 'work in progress' shots, and some could be just as easily inspired.
ktulu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote

As someone curious to see how people go about their builds on this, I would 100% be inspired by seeing WIPs of your work.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Beginning of the project   PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote

It seems like the middle option might be best - posting some stuff, but not much completed stuff as to not intimidate or scare people off. In that case, I'll start as vague as possible and gradually post things in a sequence.... Twisted Evil (if anyone is intimidated by this I may delete it and show everything later)

Talk about vague... here are some of the raw materials I will be working with.

This was set up to display some of the larger pieces I have acquired. It is also intentionally misleading - I am not building a house. XD

One side of something that has already undergone a major transformation....

Want to know the scariest part about this picture? This is not all of the foam I have. Shocked (no I am not building a huge tower either haha)

Tools of the trade perhaps? This was a gift a few years ago, and a few of the items are coming in very handy. The hammer is a risky play here Laughing, so the utility knife and larger scissors have been by far the most used items.

This is a vague pile of leftover cardboard... I am intentionally not posting what I used the rest of it for. Not yet! Smile

I'll end for now with perhaps the most ominous picture yet... where could this ship be heading? What awaits her inside?? Even the creator isn't completely sure... Shocked
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote

You're not trying to make an Isla de Muerta from the first prates movie are you? Smile

That's an impressive amount of foam there......
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: