bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Best eBay memories
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Best eBay memories   PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote

Let's have a little playful boasting about the best eBay purchases and memories we've had! Very Happy

I remember getting outbid by "snipers" for a while back in 2011. Since then I generally place what my actual "max bid" would be for an item, and then wait. Depending on the circumstances I'll go a little past the previous max (Embarassed Laughing) but usually not too much.

These are what I would call my best purchases, from my Pirates CSG document I update. I always like to think about what I'm paying in terms of the Price per Ship. These numbers don't include the shipping costs, but some of them were free shipping.

2/13/11: Lot Spanish Main 311 Cards: $20.50 (contained 104 ships, so $.20 or 20 cents per ship) (For context, the price per ship used to be $2 at $3.99 per pack, nowadays it can be found for as low as $.50 at $1 per pack of OE. It's also fun to do ships per dollar, so in this case each dollar gave me 5 ships.)

7/5/11: Lot of 97 ships: $26.00 ($.27/ship)

3/10/15: SS lot of 54 ships: $16.56 ($.31/ship)
3/31/15: F&S lot of 146 ships: $9.99 ($.07/ship, my best ever ratio and the reason you've been seeing so many Freedom's Hands and Antamasias running around in Battle Reports! Also rounds up to 15 ships per dollar spent.)

9/5/2015: Lot of 434 ships: $70 ($.16/ship, also the largest number of ships I've acquired from a single transaction)

A new calculation after combining the above numbers:
$143.05/835 ships=$.17/ship! (Also about 6 ships per dollar spent)

Those are the results of my long-term "deal-hawking", though these are the highlights of course. Most other times I've had to pay between $.50-$1.50 per ship in general, though of course the Baochuan and Shui Xian would skew the numbers if I was able to do an all-time calculation, which I can't because I haven't recorded all of the other minor purchases and whatnot. The listings of 2015 were true deals, as I'm a bit more hesitant to spend nowadays with a much larger collection, not to mention that all three of those lots (as well as the purchases from HWG and RainTyger made in August) were generally purchases to be given away.

What are your favorite eBay memories and purchases?
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Not that I could have kept a database of all my past eBay purchases or can even remember all of them but...
My best purchase was for a mixed lot with 800 items, plus a copy of Quest for Davy Jones Gold, 3 sealed GF9 Spanish Main die cast island sets and 1 sealed GF9 Crimson Coast die cast island set for a very reasonable fee of somewhere in the range of $120
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote

I got a played Baochuan for about $20, and it was my first 10-master.

i bought an auction solely because i saw a Frozen North and Ocean's Edge Tournament Pack ships in them.

Other than that, no real major purchases- most of them have been a waste of time.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote

Near the beginning of this summer I won a lot of over 400 ships for $100. The lot came with storage for the ships and free shipping I believe. To date that is the best lot I've won. Most of the ships and crew were un-punched and some still are.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Kettering!   PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote

I ordered a 2/3,3/3 incomplete USS Kettering a few days ago off of eBay . . .

It arrived today, 12/16/15, FULLY COMPLETE! Shocked That's right, she had cards 1/3,2/3, and 3/3! Very Happy

That was a fantastic surprise, and I'm glad to have one of the best longships in the game! Very Happy

"The United States stole this longship with the unofficial help of France, and then turned her into a spy ship."

In that regard, she's like the Ghost Walker, explaining her cancelling abilities. I guess that explains her general lack of decoration--she'd look like a Viking ship from a distance.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote

Don't want this thread to get locked up. I wouldn't call it a best memory, but eBay prices have been rather high of late.
pickleshoemarty

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote

The best I ever did was get 2 complete booster boxes of Crimson Coast for 65$ but that was 4 years ago now
old_man
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote

all 10masters, 4 sealed and the 2 of SS in best condition for 50US$

and 10 sealed Baochuan for 45€

all some years ago

I forgot the figth for the SiaBs

old_man
marhawkman

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote

I didn't get much of my collection on ebay. I did find some tins and boosters from the original set though.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote

I gotta say the best for me was a set of 50+ ships that I won for $5.50 a while ago. Back then that increased the size of many of fleets and helped round out a lot of my collection.

I'm hoping that the large bundle I just got recently will be a memorable one as well, I'm just waiting for it to get here at this point.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
all 10masters, 4 sealed and the 2 of SS in best condition for 50US$

and 10 sealed Baochuan for 45€

all some years ago

I forgot the figth for the SiaBs

old_man

Shocked

So that's where that "If you want, I can send you more than 10 Baochuans" came from!

Shocked

The fight for the SiaBs is probably buried in the eBay thread.

The proof that Vieil Homme exists, though... that's another story. Wink
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote

With the general rise in prices over the past year or so, I'd be more ready to talk about "worst eBay memories" ... Mad

Laughing
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:42 am Reply with quote

i haven't found any worthwhile assorted lots would going for. sure, there was one with a loose Guichuan , but without atleast the nameplate and Emperor Blackheart , it's not worth pursuing that lot.
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote

I can't recall every actually buying any PotSM cards on eBay, come to think of it - this is such a great trading community I didn't have to resort to it!

And my few sales have been here too... best lot I ever sold was a complete set of the Davy Jones promos (that I put together the hard way, by begging for them from local gaming stores back in the day).

I have purchased War At Sea ships on eBay a few times... always a fun game as well.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote

Courtesy of godmason's post on the subreddit, just snagged this one. A collector's nightmare perhaps, but a cheap player's dream. (the latter of which I am nowadays, having really cut spending on anything Pirates related and almost completely satisfied with my collection for now partly as a result of playing so much on VASSAL where I can use what I don't physically own)

It was just too good to pass up - Guichuan has been going for over $80 many times in the recent past, and then you throw in 60+ ships at less than $1 apiece and it nearly amounts to robbery. XD Razz

Looking forward to repairing my "new" Guichuan soon, after which I will only need the Zeus. Thanks godmason! (and yet another reason to check all Pirates sites and not just MT; there are some serious gems at the subreddit, BGG, Pojo, etc....)

Edit right before posting: holy moly I think I even see some SCS SR ships and a bunch of good SCS stuff, and maybe even a DJC LE... Shocked
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: