View previous topic :: View next topic  
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote

[quote="xerecs"]
vixenishcoder66 wrote:
@Xerecs

Check out the Customs Organized thread (curently near the bottom of page 2 in the forum) where my 'published' customs are, as well as a link to the Spreadsheet of my set Return of Davy Jones.

I'll have to do that, it is certainly a game mechanic I would like to try out.

Here is my most recent attempt to come up with some good abilities for these lighthouses. Thanks to everyone for their previous feedback. It helped a lot!

[img][/img]

Lighthouse: Building lighthouses follows the conditions for building forts. Gold used to build lighthouses are placed next to the lighthouse and still count towards a player total. Once destroyed the gold remains on the island. The light emitted from the lighthouse has a range of L measured from the base of the tower. This is represented by the light yellow plastic placed under the lighthouse. The light emitted from the lighthouse follows the rules for Trade Currents. A single hit is required to eliminate the lighthouse flag. Once a lighthouse loses its flag it is no longer operational. An additional hit destroys the lighthouse and is removed from the island. Lighthouses cannot repair but a ship within its radius can conduct a repair action on the lighthouse in place of repairing itself.

Forward Observer: Each ship within the light radius of the lighthouse gains +1 to their cannon rolls. A ship must be within the radius when the cannon roll is made. This ability does not affect ships that move out of the radius and then conduct a shoot action.

Merchants eye: Once per turn roll a d6, on a 5 or 6 increase the gold value of one coin on any ship in the lighthouse range by 2. (No ablilities affect this roll) Flavor Text: A keen eye and clever tongue can sell anything for a bit of coin.

@Notalwaysyou Thanks for the inspiration
Inspired by Notalwaysyou
Archimedes' Blaze: When an enemy ships enters this lighthouse's range, roll a d6. 5 replace one mast with a fire mast, 6 replace two masts. Flavor Text: Now veiled in secrecy everyone thought the man mad when he proclaimed he could harness the sun's power... until he ignited a sloops sail ablaze.

Archimedes' Torch: When an enemy ship enters this lighthouse's range, roll a d6. On a 5 the ships crew cannot use their abilities this turn, 6 replace one masts with a fire mast. Flavor Text: (American) Developed from a partial schematic stolen from the British Empire. Despite the inability to properly focus their device the United states hopes to defend her newly founded borders with their own Archimedes weapon. (French) Traded for vital intel and supplies, the design for the American Archimedes device was secretly traded. Now in testing, few men know of the construction of such devices along the French coastline.

Resupply: When a ship enters the range of this lighthouse the player may roll a d6. 1-2 this ship immediately docks on the lighthouse island and may not be given any further actions to the crew or ship, 3-4 no effect, 5-6 this ship may be given an additional move action.
Tea Party: Once per turn you may roll a d6. On the result of a 6 choose one enemy ship within range of the lighthouse. That ship loses half of her cargo (i.e. gold or custom resources) into the ocean.

Treacherous Winds: When an enemy ship enters the range of this lighthouse roll a d6. 6, the player may move the enemy ship L in any direction. 5, the enemy ship may not be given a move action the following turn. Flavor text: Few men have seen the women who is the keeper of this tower. It is said the whispers of her victims can be heard in the winds which obey her every command.

King's Shilling: When an enemy ship enters the range of this lighthouse roll a d6. On the result of a 6 the enemy player takes a crewmember from their ship and places it on the island with the lighthouse. This crew now belongs to the English nationality and to the owner of the lighthouse. Flavor text: Not all men who serve under the Union Jack remember the night they joined the navy...

Cursed Seas: Enemy ships entering the lighthouse range must roll a d6. On a 1 or 2 this ship stops moving and cannot be given anymore actions this turn. On the result of a 1 the crew on the ship may not use their abilities this turn. Flavor Text: The sudden chill in the air tells every sailor aboard they are not alone in these waters. The crew becomes silent leaving only the flapping sails and creaking ship to fill the air.

I anticipate many changes to come to my abilities and what lighthouses they are assigned to. I hope to play test it and see what balancing issues arise.

@ax7fanben & godmason,

You have tons of good content you can go over but I wanted to get this up before you record your podcast on the off chance you wanted to mention or discuss some of it. I look forward to hearing your discussion on the various custom sets that have been created. Partly for potential VEE inspiration but mostly I just enjoy seeing custom set and the new ideas.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote

I really like the idea of lighthouses, I'd quite like go to through yours on the podcast and discuss them.
lafittejean
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote

I've been thinking about ideas for a custom set, but I was wondering is there a list somewhere with the point values of different abilities, cannons, etc?
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote

lafittejean wrote:
I've been thinking about ideas for a custom set, but I was wondering is there a list somewhere with the point values of different abilities, cannons, etc?

Good on you, can't wait to see what you come up with!

As for a comprehensive list of all abilities and point costs for those abilities? I'm not sure such a thing exists. I know the Pirate Code DOES have a list of all known released Wizkids abilities, so you can use it and the search for a miniature function to look for point costs that way. If you're coming up with your own abilities, try to find similar abilities that already exist, and use those pieces to help guide your pricing, or just make up a number. XD

I'm not sure what you mean by 'point values for cannons', could you elaborate a little?
lafittejean
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure but better cannons also affect the ship's cost too right? That and there is also a nationality modifier for points dependent on nationality too right?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote

lafittejean wrote:
Well I'm not sure but better cannons also affect the ship's cost too right? That and there is also a nationality modifier for points dependent on nationality too right?

I don't think the formula Wizkids used (assuming they had some) was ever made public or really "discovered" so to speak. Various people have come up with things like that in the past, but nothing is perfect. It gets complex with all the different combinations you can make (nearly endless), and there are even abilities that scale in proportion to the size of the ship.

Sorry there's not a good answer, but it's mostly a case of basing things on how existing items are priced, and then tinkering and playtesting and asking for feedback on stuff from there to improve the customs until they are generally playable without being OP (overpowered).
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote

Couldn't have said better myself. Post your ideas, and someone will usually leave some feedback on it, and with the advent of VASSAL, you can test out any regular ship there (VASSAL doesn't have Sea Creatures, or ships with moving parts).

Speaking of Customs, I've got a few posts to make here, maybe I'll come back to them later tonight......
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote

Reading Pathfinder Tales: Pirate's Prophecy and nearing the end, i can't help but to not create some pieces from the book-

Stargazer
Nat. Pirate
Masts 3
Cannons 4L-3S-3L
Movement S+S
Cargo 5
Schooner, Secret Hold, Broadside Attack
[Link: Torius Vin, Celest, Snick, Grogul, Thillion]
The crew of the Stargazer are fiercely loyal to their captain and ship. No matter the odds, no mater the crazy plot- they believe their captain will see them through.

Torius Vin
Nat. Pirate
[Link: Stargazer, Celeste]
Captain, Helmsman, Freedom Agent [This ship get +1 to it's cannon and boarding rolls against Slavers.]
Sold into slavery by his addict of a mother, Torius has vowed a constant war against slavery.

Celeste
Nat. Pirate
[Link: Stargazer, Torius Vin]
Navigator
When you roll a 6 on a cannon roll, eliminate target crew from the opposing ship.
Rescued by Torius from a Slavers' hold, she and Torius fell in love and have vowed to see that no other suffered at the hands of Slavers.

Grogul
Nat. Pirate
[Link: Stargazer]
Freedom Agent
Whenever this ship rolls a 6 on a boarding roll, choose one- eliminate a mast, eliminate a crew, or claim two treasures from the hold.
When Torius mutinied, Grogul was first to take arms at Torius' side. And at Torius' side, Grogul remains.

Thillion
Nat. Pirate
Musketeer, Cannoneer
Newest member of the Stargazer crew, Thillion is deadly accurate with his bow.

Snick
Nat. Pirate
At the beginning of each turn, choose one- Extended Range, Smokepot, Chainshot, Stinkpot or Firepot. One of your cannon shots may be one of those shots instead; declare before you roll.
Snick is a giddy tinkerer. One of Torius' most loyal crew, she brought aboard the ship several ballistae and inventive warheads. A simple command from Torius sends her into gigglefits.

I can see Snick costing atleast 5 or 6 with her versatility.

I had made several Slaver ships, now buried in the depths of Custom Ships, and yes- Freedom Agents do stack, that's why i didn't want to make everyone a Freedom Agent.

[spoiler]
Pathfinder is a fantasy table-top RPG franchise, like Dungeons and Dragons.
So, Torius is human, Celeste is a Lunar naga so her "on a 6, kill an enemy" is her spellcasting.
Grogul is a half-orc, Thillion is an Elf, and Snick is a gnome.

Pirate's Prophecy is the third book in this series; preceded by Pirate's Honor & Pirate's Promise.[/spoiler]
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote

The Fiends of the Blood Islands Entry for the French!

SHIPS

Tour Eiffel
Masts: 1
Guns: 3L, 3L, 5S, 5S
Base Move: T
Cargo: 0
Ability: Flotilla, Cargo wrecking

Belle
Masts: 2 (square)
Guns: 4S,4S
Cargo: 4
Base Move: S+S
Ability: Explorer

La Siréne
Masts: 4
Guns: 2S,2S,3S,3S
Cargo: 3
Base Move: S+L
Ability: This ship gets +1 to her boarding rolls

Révolution
Masts: 5
Guns: 2S,2L,2L,2L,2S
Base Move: L
Ability: L-range cannons cannot hit this ship. Other ships don't block this ship's line of fire
Link: Capitan Aloïs Garnier

L'étoile Brillante
Guns: 3L,3S,3S,3L
Ability: This ship gets +1 to her boarding rolls, she gets +2 instead if it three or more crew are assigned to her

La Victomesse
Masts: 3 (jib)
Guns: 3L,2L,3L
Cargo: 2
Ability: Broadsides Attack

Wasp
Guns: 3L,4S,4S,3L
Ability: Clipper Ship; Explorer. One of this ship’s treasures is worth +2 gold when unloaded at your home isand.

Feu de Foudre
Guns: 4S,3S,4S
Ability: Battleship This ship may repair at sea or at a wild island.

CREW

Capitan Aloïs Garnier
Ability: Captain; SAT; Reroll
Link: Révolution

FORT

Bastille
Gold: 6
Flags: 4
Guns: 3L,3L,3L,3L
Ability: This for gets +1 to cannon rolls against any target

Keywords

Battleship: This ship has Extended Range, and two cannons per mast.

Clipper Ship*: This ships movement is measured from bow to stern.

*These ships are roughly the size of 4 mast schooners, and always have 4 masts. Never more, never less.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote

The Mercenary entry for FobI!

SHIPS

Atlantis
Point cost: 16
Masts: 3
Guns: 3L, 3S, 3L
Base move: L
Ability: Submarine. This ship may shoot at submerged targets within L of it.
Link: Empress Kida; Milo

Death Strike
Guns: 3S,3S,3S
Base Move: S
Ability: Mercenary; Ironclad. This ship gets +1 to her boarding rolls.
Link: Captain William Slayde

Gambol Shroud
Guns: 3L,2S,3L
Base Move: L+S
Ability: Mercenary; Schooner. This ship can't be shot at by ships within S of her.

Glider
Masts: 2 (sloop)
Guns: 5S,5S
Ability: Mercenary, Blockade Runner. This ship ignores all terrain except fog banks and storms.
Link: The Machinist

CREW

Empress Kida
Ability: Ex-Patriot. Loyal: Mercenary; Hostile: America. Captain. This ship gets +1 to her cannon rolls against any non-Mercenary ship
Link: Atlantis; Milo

Milo
Ability: Ex-Patriot. Hostile: America. Explorer; Navigator
Link: Atlantis; Empress Kida

King Thorin
Ability: Ex-Patriot; Limit. If this ship is docked at a damaged friendly fort, give her a move action but do not move her. Instead eliminate one of the ship's masts and repair one of the damaged fort's flags. You cannot give this ship a repair action on its next turn.

Captain William Slayde
Ability: Ex-Patriot. Captain, EA
Link: Death Strike

The Machinist
Ability: Ex-Patriot. Shipwright. Each time this ship would lose a mast, roll a d6. On a 1-2, two masts are eliminated; on a 3-4, eliminate masts as usual; on a 5-6, no masts are eliminated. (this ability to eliminate extra masts can only dismast a ship, not sink it)
Link: The Glider

FORT

Erebor
Flags: 4
Guns: 3S,3S,3S,3S
Gold: 6
Ability: Gold loaded from this island is worth +2 when unloaded at your home island.

Keywords

Ironclad: This ship's masts can only be eliminated on a cannon roll of 5 or 6*.

Blockade Runner:This ship gets +1 to her ram and boarding rolls.

*Cannon bonuses will function in shoot actions against these ships.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote

I'm on a posting binge! Finally, the Pirates! This is the last regular preview for Fiends of the Blood Islands, all future posts with new pieces will either be the Islands themselves, or are LE/ SE pieces.

I think I may have broken the game with one of these guys, so I'm bracing for keelhauling......

SHIPS

Devil Horn
Point cost: 12
Guns: 3S, 4L, 3S
Ability: Schooner. Once per turn when this ship his an enemy ship, eliminate one crew from that ship.

The Huntsman
Guns: 3S, 3S, 3S
Ability: Scorpion. This ship gets +1 to her cannon and boarding rolls against sea monsters.
Link: Captain Crow

Crescent Rose
Masts: 2 (square)
Guns: 3S,3S
Base Move: S+L
Ability: This ship gets +1 to her cannon rolls for every friendly ship within S of her

Agni-Kai
Masts: 3 (square)
Guns: 2L,3S,2L
Ability: Schooner. Once per turn one of this ship's guns may shoot a fire shot. Regular rules apply to this shot after it has been fired.

Broken Oath
Guns: 4S,2L,5S
Ability: Ghost Ship

Rumjack
Guns: 3S,3S,3S
Base Move: S
Ability: This ship gets +L to her base move if she has all of her masts

Branwen
Guns: 2L,3S,2L
Ability: Fog Hopper
Link: Red Rayven

CREW

Red Rayven
Ability: This ship may dock at an enemy home island and load one treasure, if able she must leave on her next turn. This ship gets +1 to her boarding rolls against any non-pirate ship.
Link: Branwen

Captain Crow
Ability: Hostile: Cursed; Captain. This ship may shoot at submerged targets within S of her.
Link: The Huntsman

One Handed John
Ability: Limit; Black Mark. Once per turn, before you give this ship an action, roll a d6. On a 6, as a free action, move this ship within S+S of any other ship.
Link: The Carnage

.....Braces for impact.......
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Customs aplenty!   PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote

@selvaxri: Cool stuff, I can understand the desire to make customs from inspirational fiction.

@Xerecs: Well here we go! XD Anything I don't comment on seems fine to me point and ability wise.

French:
Tour Eiffel: too expensive, could cost the same as Armada unless you're inflating the cost as a flavor explanation for France spending money on it.

Revolution: Not a huge fan of seeing that ability on such a big ship, but with that cost and cargo it's probably fine.

I think the Feu de Foudre is an appropriately costed Battleship, unlike some of the more OP (hint: Cursed) ones we've seen so far. Actually now that I think about, it still seems a little too good. So easy to put a world hater on there and make it so devastating.

Garnier is a little too "perfect" as a named crew, and those abilities seem meant to save the other two valuable spaces on the Revolution. We don't really see double action rolling abilities paired with rerolls from Wizkids, probably because it's such a great combo. (and we know WK was more fond of making abilities that did not suit each other lol) That said the price is obviously right so it's fine. I could definitely see that ship being a powerhouse in games with Garnier, canceller Lenoir, and a helmsman. Now that I think about it, L-immunity combined with cancelling on a 5 mast with rank-2 guns does seem a little OP. Hopefully she'll make an appearance in the 2017 Campaign or sometime soon so you and your brothers can decide on the "OP-ness" of the combos. Very Happy

Bastille strikes me as a little boring - fort abilities are very difficult to cancel in any way, so I'd rather the fort have 2L cannons and a more interesting ability to make it stand out. Assuming the French built it after the prison storming incident (if the custom is named for that), perhaps you can come up with something historically related.

Other: Love the Sirene, powerful but fair.

Mercenaries:

Gambol Shroud: I really wish the S-immunity ability just hadn't existed in the first place. It's just a huge headache. (more a comment for the designers than for you lol) The ship seems appropriately costed though given what exists.

Glider seems too pricy for what she can do. Is the terrain ability meant to mean that she can stop on terrain and still ignore it? (rather than "when given a move action")

I like Kida, they also give the Cursed and the minor factions a valuable world-hater of sorts.

King Thorin actually seems underwhelming to me; perhaps it would be better if the ship he's on doesn't have to even sacrifice a mast. Impressive when you think about the possibilities though; imagine this guy stationed at Paradis! Shocked

The Machinist is wacky but very interesting. You have good intentions to simply use him(?) on the Glider, but now that I think about it, he could be a devastating force on a 10 master with reroll. Shocked This one might need some editing or a higher cost or something. Playtesting would be good.

Mostly love the Hobbit connection ("mostly" since it's generally a land thing with a different "historical" context) with Erebor (and Thorin), but that thing should cost more because that ability is so good. Makes sense thematically, but that ability shouldn't really appear on a fort in the first place. Now that I think about it, the ability comes from a different source and different ability text, so at first glance it looks like you could combine it with Genny Gallows and other bonuses....

Other: Love the Atlantis, great idea and game piece!

Pirates:
Crescent Rose has an extremely expensive ability - the stats alone warrant a 6 point ship with no ability, so even if you're trying to price the ability more fairly than WK did, this ship needs to be at least 9 points. I see her as a potential "escort hybrid" with a captain and probably helmsman - able to collect the scraps left by the ship she's escorting, and fire off a couple 2S shots to defend the ship as needed.

Agni-Kai: Fire shot is just one point, so I could see this coming way down in cost. Unless that last sentence means something important I'm not understanding yet. XD

Rumjack could come down a few points if you want because of the Silver Dagger, and/or maybe change the guns to make it stand out more since it's nearly identical.

One Handed John isn't as bad as you think since you have to roll a 6 and he is quite expensive. However I'm opposed to the whole teleportation thing in general - making him truly Cursed (or making the Black Mark mandatory?) and giving a flavor explanation could help though. As-is he's a giant waste of points most of the time, but sometimes he basically gives his ship D move. XD Kinda weird to me but perhaps you have a fun explanation for it... I could see him getting a different version of Calypso's ability, or possibly moving L+L+L while submerged (I know it's not a sub haha), etc. Reminds me a bit of Davy Jones' teleportation ability as a crew in DMC when he just appears in front of people.

Ah I just realized a bigger problem though... if he was on the Zeus, you'd have a giant "nuclear bomb" assassin ship capable of bizarre fantastical things. Hmmm. Laughing

I must say I like a lot of these and would enjoy using plenty of them in games! Very Happy
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Customs aplenty!   PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
@selvaxri: Cool stuff, I can understand the desire to make customs from inspirational fiction.

@Xerecs: Well here we go! XD Anything I don't comment on seems fine to me point and ability wise.

French:
Tour Eiffel: too expensive, could cost the same as Armada unless you're inflating the cost as a flavor explanation for France spending money on it.

Revolution: Not a huge fan of seeing that ability on such a big ship, but with that cost and cargo it's probably fine.

I think the Feu de Foudre is an appropriately costed Battleship, unlike some of the more OP (hint: Cursed) ones we've seen so far. Actually now that I think about, it still seems a little too good. So easy to put a world hater on there and make it so devastating.

Garnier is a little too "perfect" as a named crew, and those abilities seem meant to save the other two valuable spaces on the Revolution. We don't really see double action rolling abilities paired with rerolls from Wizkids, probably because it's such a great combo. (and we know WK was more fond of making abilities that did not suit each other lol) That said the price is obviously right so it's fine. I could definitely see that ship being a powerhouse in games with Garnier, canceller Lenoir, and a helmsman. Now that I think about it, L-immunity combined with cancelling on a 5 mast with rank-2 guns does seem a little OP. Hopefully she'll make an appearance in the 2017 Campaign or sometime soon so you and your brothers can decide on the "OP-ness" of the combos. Very Happy

Bastille strikes me as a little boring - fort abilities are very difficult to cancel in any way, so I'd rather the fort have 2L cannons and a more interesting ability to make it stand out. Assuming the French built it after the prison storming incident (if the custom is named for that), perhaps you can come up with something historically related.

Other: Love the Sirene, powerful but fair.

Mercenaries:

Gambol Shroud: I really wish the S-immunity ability just hadn't existed in the first place. It's just a huge headache. (more a comment for the designers than for you lol) The ship seems appropriately costed though given what exists.

Glider seems too pricy for what she can do. Is the terrain ability meant to mean that she can stop on terrain and still ignore it? (rather than "when given a move action")

I like Kida, they also give the Cursed and the minor factions a valuable world-hater of sorts.

King Thorin actually seems underwhelming to me; perhaps it would be better if the ship he's on doesn't have to even sacrifice a mast. Impressive when you think about the possibilities though; imagine this guy stationed at Paradis! Shocked

The Machinist is wacky but very interesting. You have good intentions to simply use him(?) on the Glider, but now that I think about it, he could be a devastating force on a 10 master with reroll. Shocked This one might need some editing or a higher cost or something. Playtesting would be good.

Mostly love the Hobbit connection ("mostly" since it's generally a land thing with a different "historical" context) with Erebor (and Thorin), but that thing should cost more because that ability is so good. Makes sense thematically, but that ability shouldn't really appear on a fort in the first place. Now that I think about it, the ability comes from a different source and different ability text, so at first glance it looks like you could combine it with Genny Gallows and other bonuses....

Other: Love the Atlantis, great idea and game piece!

Pirates:
Crescent Rose has an extremely expensive ability - the stats alone warrant a 6 point ship with no ability, so even if you're trying to price the ability more fairly than WK did, this ship needs to be at least 9 points. I see her as a potential "escort hybrid" with a captain and probably helmsman - able to collect the scraps left by the ship she's escorting, and fire off a couple 2S shots to defend the ship as needed.

Agni-Kai: Fire shot is just one point, so I could see this coming way down in cost. Unless that last sentence means something important I'm not understanding yet. XD

Rumjack could come down a few points if you want because of the Silver Dagger, and/or maybe change the guns to make it stand out more since it's nearly identical.

One Handed John isn't as bad as you think since you have to roll a 6 and he is quite expensive. However I'm opposed to the whole teleportation thing in general - making him truly Cursed (or making the Black Mark mandatory?) and giving a flavor explanation could help though. As-is he's a giant waste of points most of the time, but sometimes he basically gives his ship D move. XD Kinda weird to me but perhaps you have a fun explanation for it... I could see him getting a different version of Calypso's ability, or possibly moving L+L+L while submerged (I know it's not a sub haha), etc. Reminds me a bit of Davy Jones' teleportation ability as a crew in DMC when he just appears in front of people.

Ah I just realized a bigger problem though... if he was on the Zeus, you'd have a giant "nuclear bomb" assassin ship capable of bizarre fantastical things. Hmmm. Laughing

I must say I like a lot of these and would enjoy using plenty of them in games! Very Happy

I think the Tour Effeil had a third ability that was dropped, and the cost was never re-adjusted.

Garnier is the ONLY crew the French get in Fiends of the Blood Islands, I had to make him good. XD I can consider giving him a different 3 point ability, maybe loose re-roll and gain musketeer?

Yeah the Bastille fort is based on the Bastille prison, as of now I don't have any kind of flavor text for it. If the fort had more cannons, say around 7, would it be more exciting, or less so? Also, I can give her majority rank 2 cannons in a jiff.

I'm not sure about the Glider's function in that respect, I'll ask the designer next chance I get.

The Machinist is a shout-out to a character of a similar name from the Last Airbender series. He's a wacky inventor guy, whose experiments and inventions tend to blow up in his face (literally), hence his odd combination of abilities, being able to theoretically repair any damage he causes. I agree playtesting would be key.

Thorin was designed such that he couldn't be abused to bring back a nearly dead fort. I feel he's balanced, since he takes up a ship's action, and eliminates a mast from it at the same time. Perhaps this is another one where playtesting would be advantageous?

Erebor actually had a different ability, but I changed it as I posteed it. It's original ability was:
Gold can only be removed from this island by ships of the same fleet.
This had the same problem of Mors Castellum from the Cursed, it implies that enemy ships can dock at non-friendly forts, which they can't. So I changed it a little. I can change it again to some kind of gold hoarding ability, or add a powerful defensive ability to her to make it more difficult to get at the gold hidden there.

I can bump the Rose to 9, and bring the Agni down to around 13 or so. I'm not sure what the last line of her ability text means, I'll have to ask the designer.

I might do both to the Rumjack, or I'll leave her as is, since I've made SEVERAL stand out pieces. XD

Really, you think John isn't that bad? Shocked I designed him to be like Hidden Cove on a crew....... His point cost is to prevent him from winding up on some of the smaller more accurate pirate gunships. I do have a rough flavor for him:

Davy Jones returned to power by striking a deal with John. Now able to freely roam the seas unfettered by mortal means Johns power will only continue to grow.

Basically Davy needed help in RoDJ getting back on top of the Cursed (he was overthrown remember? Wink ), and so asked John for a favor. John then cashed in that favor by requesting his ability as it is, to appear and vanish like a ghost without a trace. Sort of.

One-Handed's current ability is based on an idea from Treasure Planet, about a pirate who appeared and disappeared like a ghost without a trace.

Perhaps we can playtest some of this sometime soon on VASSAL, and not just my own customs..... Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Customs aplenty!   PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Yeah the Bastille fort is based on the Bastille prison, as of now I don't have any kind of flavor text for it. If the fort had more cannons, say around 7, would it be more exciting, or less so? Also, I can give her majority rank 2 cannons in a jiff.

More cannons would require a higher cost, but it would make it more unique.

Quote:
Thorin was designed such that he couldn't be abused to bring back a nearly dead fort. I feel he's balanced, since he takes up a ship's action, and eliminates a mast from it at the same time. Perhaps this is another one where playtesting would be advantageous?

It just seems mighty underwhelming for a 10 point ability. He'd be nearly useless if there was an ongoing battle at the fort, since you wouldn't be able to repair the fort fast enough to make up the difference in damage being done to it. You could just let your opponent knock the fort out and rebuild it for an in-game cost of 5 gold or less and avoid having to spend 10 points of your build total on a very situational crew. (obviously he's far better in campaign games, but still seems kind of lame to me)

Quote:
I can change it again to some kind of gold hoarding ability, or add a powerful defensive ability to her to make it more difficult to get at the gold hidden there.

I could see Erebor having a defensive ability.

One-Handed John is extremely ugly on a 10 master, so you may need to rework the ability so it's not as powerful. Maybe he can only use his abilities on the Carnage? Thanks for the flavor explanation though, it makes sense and I like how you tied together your two custom sets in addition to flavor from the existing stuff.
ktulu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote

Alright here's my (very) rough draft of my Mercenary rework. I feel like things might still be on the strong stupid side, but I figured I'd at least post where I'm at right now since I'm stuck in my house for the weekend because of Irma I had nothing better to do lol. There's still some ships and crew missing, but they'll probably be added in another draft. Let's go.

Keywords

Ex Patriot: Completely changed. Is now tied to one or more factions, similar to Loyal/Hostile. +1 cannon rolls against any ships belonging to a hostile faction. This crew may serve under any faction except ships belonging to a hostile faction. Ex Patriot crew no longer make non-Mercenary ships they are serving on part of the Mercenary faction.

Submarine: Added the ability to ignore terrain. Otherwise this has not been changed.

Wanted: New Keyword. If a wanted crew is captured by a non Hostile faction, it is treated the same as the Ransom Keyword. If this crew is captured by a hostile faction, they may take them to their HI for double this crew's face value in gold. Roll a d6 at the beginning of every turn this crew is on an enemy ship. on a 1, eliminate one of this ships masts. On a 2, eliminate another crew on this ship. On a 3, place another crew on the nearest wild island. On a 4, place one treasure from this ship on the nearest wild island. On a 5, this ships movement speed is S this turn. On a 6, nothing happens.

Ships and Crew

Nautilus
⦁ Point Value: 14
⦁ Cargo Space: 4
⦁ Base Move: L+S
⦁ Cannons: 2S 3S 2L
⦁ Link: Captain Nemo
⦁ Mercenary, Submarine. Two hits from the same shoot action are required to eliminate one of this ship's hull pieces. If this ship is within terrain, enemy ships get -1 to their cannon rolls against this ship. This ship cannot dock at any island.

Captain Nemo
⦁ Point Value: 8
⦁ Link: Nautilus
⦁ Ex Patriot: All Non-Mercenary Factions, Wanted. If this ship wins a boarding party, she may capture the crew with the highest point cost instead of eliminating it. A captive becomes assigned to this ship, takes up no cargo space, and can use its abilities. The captive cannot leave this ship. If this ship begins her move action in terrain, she gains +2 to her boarding rolls that turn.

Terror
⦁ Point Value: 13
⦁ Cargo Space: 3
⦁ Base Move: S+S
⦁ Cannons: 3L 2L 3L
⦁ Link: Count Gustuv
⦁ Mercenary, Submarine. At the beginning of every turn this ship is not submerged, place a fog bank underneath her. These fog banks may overlap other ships, other terrain, and islands. These fog banks dissapear after 3 turns.

Count Gustuv
⦁ Pont Value: 8
⦁ Link: Terror
⦁ Ex Patiot: England, Spain, and France. Wanted. Captain. If this ship ends her turn in a fog bank, on her next turn she may use its move action to move out of any other fog bank in play.

Hephaestus
⦁ Base Move: S
⦁ Cannons 2S 3L 2S
⦁ Link: Herr Fuchs
⦁ Mercenary, Submarine. This ships masts cannot be eliminated unless the other player rolls a 4. If this ship is within terrain, her masts cannon be eliminated unless the other player rolls a 6.

Herr Fuchs
⦁ Point Value: 7
⦁ Link: Hephaestus
⦁ Ex Patriot: France, Spain, England. Extended Range. Wanted.

Fathom
⦁ Point Value: 12
⦁ Base Move L+S
⦁ Cannons: 4L 4L 4L
⦁ Link: Nikos Chelios
⦁ This ship gets +1 to her cannon rolls for every mast the target ship is missing. This effect is doubled if either ship is within L of an island.

Nikos Chelios
⦁ Point Value: 3
⦁ Link: Fathom
⦁ If this ship sinks another ship, place all the gold from that ship on your HI.

Barracuda
⦁ Base Move: L
⦁ Cannons: 2S 2S
⦁ When this ship rams an enemy ship, push that ship L in the direction this ship is facing. If she comes into contact with an island, remove one of her masts. If she comes into contact with another ship, remove a mast from both ships.

Mobilis
⦁ Cargo Space: 5
⦁ Base Move: L+S
⦁ Cannons: 2S 3L
⦁ Link: Eileen Brigid O'Brien
⦁ Mercenary, Submarine. If this ship resolves a shoot action within 2L of any terrain roll a d6. On a result of 5 or 6 you may place this ship in any terrain within 2L as a free action.

Eileen Brigid O'Brien
⦁ Point Value: 6
⦁ Link: Mobilus
⦁ Ex Patriot: England, Wanted, Captain. If this ship is within terrain, enemy ships within L cannot use their abilities.

Devil Ray
⦁ Cargo Space: 6
⦁ Cannons: 5S 5S
⦁ Link: Yeshaji Angria
⦁ Mercenary, Submarine, Dories. When submerged, this ship gets +L to her base move.

Yeshaji Angria
⦁ Point Cost: 4
⦁ Link: Devil Ray
⦁ Ex Patriot: England, Helmsman. Once per turn. this ship may take one random treasure from any ship she rams. She may take two if the rammed ship is within L of an island.

Brave Selkirk
⦁ Point Value: 10
⦁ Cannons: 3S 3S
⦁ Once per turn, if this ship is within S of an enemy ship, she may take one crew of your choice from that ship and place it on the nearest wild island.

Forward
⦁ Cannons: 4L 3S 3S 4L
⦁ Link: Christian Fiore
⦁ This ship gets +2 to her cannon rolls against any ship with L of a wild island.

Christian Fiore
⦁ Point Cost: 6
⦁ Link: Forward
⦁ Ex Patriot: All non Mercenary Factions. If this ship is within S of an enemy ship, roll a d6. On a 1-3, you may take the highest value treasure from that ship. On a 4-6, you may move the enemy ship L in any direction.

Santa Molina
⦁ Point Cost: 13
⦁ Cannons: 3S 2L 3L 3S
⦁ Link: Osvaldo de Deus Celemente
⦁ Mercenary, Schooner. Once per shoot action when this ship hits an enemy ship, also eliminate one crew from that ship. When you eliminate one crew, you may repair a friendly ship within L of this ship as a free action.

Osvaldo de Deus Celemente
⦁ Point Value: 5
⦁ Link: Santa Molina
⦁ Ex Patriot: Spain, Captain. Once per turn, this ship may eliminate one of her masts to give her an extra action.

Meropis
⦁ Cannons: 4L 3L 4L
⦁ Link: Ibrahan Ozat
⦁ Mercenary. If this ship ends its turn within S of a wild island, it may begin its next turn at any other wild island that has been explored. You must place this ship S away from that wild island.

Ibrahan Ozat
⦁ Link: Meropis
⦁ Ex Patriot: Barbary Cosairs Captain. This ship gains +1 to her cannon rolls for every treasure the target ship is carrying.

Hare's Luck
⦁ Point Value: 6
⦁ Base Move: S+L
⦁ Cannons: 3L 3L
⦁ Mercenary. At the beginning of every turn, roll two d6's. If the sum of both d6's is 7, place this ship S away from a terrain of your choice. If the result is doubles, this ship has extended range this turn.

Matuku
⦁ Cannons: 3L 3S 3L
⦁ Link: Luc Savard
⦁ Mercenary, Schooner. If this ship is within S of an enemy ship that is docked at a wild island, roll a d6. On a result of 5 or 6, you may load as much of that ships cargo as you can carry as a free action.

Luc Savard
⦁ Ex Patriot: America, Captain. This ship gets +1 to her cannon rolls against docked ship.

Duncan
⦁ Cannons: 3S 4S
⦁ Mercenary. This ship cannot be pinned. This ship eliminates one crew from any enemy ship she touches. She eliminates all of the enemy ship's crew if she is docked at a wild island.

Bashaw Folly
⦁ Cannons: 2S 2L
⦁ Mercenary. Once per turn, as a shoot action one of this ships cannons may shoot a shot with a range of L+L. Instead of eliminating a mast, you may pull the enemy ship as close to you as you want. Other ships and islands do not block this shot's line of fire. If the enemy ship is pulled into another ship or island, eliminate one of that ships masts. The enemy ship may not move on its next turn.

Bosun's Bane
⦁ Cargo Space: 1
⦁ Base Move: S+S+S
⦁ Cannons: 2L
⦁ Mercenary. Crew do not take up cargo space on this ship. At the beginning of your turn, roll a d6. The number you roll is how many actions this ship can have. When this ships actions are up, she cannot take any actions on her next turn. On the turn she can take no actions, roll a d6. On a 1 or 2, eliminate one of this ship's crew. Then roll another d6 for how many actions this ship may have before stopping again. This process must be repeated until this ship carries no crew.

Shaihulud
⦁ Cargo Space: 0
⦁ Cannons: 2L 2S 2S 2S
⦁ Sea Monster. This sea monster may move and shoot using the same move action. Each turn, roll a d6. On a result of 5 or 6, place a terrain of your choice within L of this sea monster. Once per turn, as a shoot action you may eliminate any terrain within S of this sea monster. After eliminating the terrain, repair one of this sea monster's segments.

Cadara
⦁ Point Value: 16
⦁ Cargo Space: 10
⦁ Cannons: 3L 3S 2L 3S 3L
⦁ Sea Monster, Secret Hold. This sea monster may move and shoot using the same move action. If this sea monster eliminates another ship, she may take all of her cargo. Crew still cannot use their abilities on this sea monster. When this sea monster is eliminated, do not remove her from the game. Instead she becomes a wild island. Friendly ships do not have to explore this island. Enemy ships must use two explore actions to explore this island. Crew on this wild island are treated as abandoned crew.

Queen Teresa Pavon
⦁ Point Value: 7
⦁ Link: All Mercenary ships.
⦁ Navigator. This submarine ignores islands while submerged. Any bonuses to this ship's movement are doubled.

Slipstream
⦁ Point Value: 12
⦁ Cannons: 2L 2L
⦁ Submarine, Mercenary. Any wild island within S of this submarine is marked as explored as a free action. This submarine gains +S to her base movement for every island she explores.

Thane Hartless
⦁ Ex Patriot: All Factions, Wanted. This crew may only use its abilities on the Slipstream. Crew of any nationality may use their abilities aboard this ship. Once per turn when this submarine is not submerged, roll a d6. On a result of 5 or 6, you may give any friendly ship within L of this submarine extended range for this turn.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Page 109 of 114

Jump to: