main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
What book are you reading?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Black Mongoose Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: What book are you reading?   PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote

Doesn't have to be about pirates or naval warfare.

I just finished Hannibal and Me: What History's Greatest Military Strategist Can Teach Us About Success and Failure. It was VERY good. I'd highly recommend it to everyone. Amazon appears to have used copies starting from $01. Smile

The book I read before was A First-Rate Madness: Uncovering the Links Between Leadership and Mental Illness. It was good, but got a little repetitive in terms of the theme.

Next up is Glass Jaw: A Manifesto for Defending Fragile Reputations in an Age of Instant Scandal.

I don't read as much as I used to, and I haven't read fiction in quite some time. However, I still try to read each week and keep a book on hand. What are you reading?/what have you been reading?
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote

I forgot this forum existed. Since I feel bad no one replied to Ben, I will =)

Last month I finally finished the biography of Hamilton by Ron Chernow (the one that the musical was based on). It was the third biography of Hamilton or Burr that I have read (4th if you count the biofiction of Gore Vidal's Burr), and it did not disappoint. Though slow at times (Yes Hamilton was a genius, but I don't really need the boring details of his financial writings), it was a worthwhile read. As stated in my review of the USS Aaron Burr, I am distantly related to Burr, so his role as the "Fallen Founder" and early US history in general is an obvious passion of mine.

Last week I moved to another Star Wars book - I have been trying to read all the older stuff in the Legends series (timeline wise, many many years before episode 1) because I love that history there. The current book is Fatal Alliance, and its a great read so far =)
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote

I wasn't in the middle of reading anything when this was first posted, and then promptly forgot about it, so thanks for pulling it back up!

Right now I'm a few chapters into Sounds Like Me, the autobiography by Sara Bareilles. I've loved her music for years, and it's got some really interesting insight and background into what she's written, including the full story behind "Love Song", which is a bit more complex and convoluted than the story that's usually associated with it.

Being roughly the same age, it's funny to see the numerous childhood references to the 80s (especially pop culture) and be able to fully "get" every single one of them.

volt wrote:
Last week I moved to another Star Wars book - I have been trying to read all the older stuff in the Legends series (timeline wise, many many years before episode 1) because I love that history there. The current book is Fatal Alliance, and its a great read so far =)
I managed to keep up with the countless Star Wars books back when they were first being written, but gave up on them shortly before the Yuuzhan Vong stuff started up. I was having less and less time available to read back then, and they were getting published more and more quickly, but mostly it was because they started to feel really repetitive. They defeat one big bad enemy just in time for an even bigger and badder one to arrive, and it just kept ramping up and up to the point that it got ridiculous. The original Timothy Zahn series was amazing, but outside of a few exceptions here and there, everything else was downhill from there.

I'm still holding out hope that Mara Jade gets pulled back into the main canon eventually, even if they do need to change her backstory a little bit...
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
I managed to keep up with the countless Star Wars books back when they were first being written, but gave up on them shortly before the Yuuzhan Vong stuff started up. I was having less and less time available to read back then, and they were getting published more and more quickly, but mostly it was because they started to feel really repetitive. They defeat one big bad enemy just in time for an even bigger and badder one to arrive, and it just kept ramping up and up to the point that it got ridiculous. The original Timothy Zahn series was amazing, but outside of a few exceptions here and there, everything else was downhill from there.

When I was younger I read a handful (~10 books) of different Star Wars stories, most of which I enjoyed to some degree. I always preferred the longer epics, but Star Wars is certainly cool enough to have far more than just 6 (or 9) movies associated with its story.

Glass Jaw was pretty good, though it's more relevant to people who have higher profiles. Next up is Think and Grow Rich, which I'm finally reading after hearing about it 6 or 7 years ago.

@volt: I like reading about history, but probably have more narrow interests in it than most. After War at Sea in the Age of Sail arguably changed my life a bit (along with PotC and Pirates CSG in the same time period), I'm excited to finally read another Smithsonian History of Warfare book - I have both 17th and 18th Century Warfare.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote

I'm not really reading anything right now, which is unusual for me, since I have about three or four series that really pique my interest. The last thing I read was a novel about a travel basketball team of 7th graders, think Bad News Bears of basketball.

Oh, just remembered, I started the Maze Runner series, but dropped off after the first book (and movies came out), I'm also a few books behind on the Noble Dead saga by Barb and J.C. Hendee (vampire and fantasy stuff). The Maximum Ride and Witch&Wizard series have both finished up I think, unless Patterson writes more of them....

Ah, Rick Riordan has a new series out about Norse myth (the Magnus Chase series), and it's tying in to all of his previous works which is exciting, I think the next one is due out this fall.

Oh, another two I just remembered: a Light Novel series, SAO, by Reki Kawahara; and a Graphic novel series, Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi.

Hm... mentioning all of that I feel like picking up one of them and sitting down for an hour or two...... Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote

Finally finished Think and Grow Rich.

The exuberant gluttony has resumed, as I eat Goldfish and begin reading Warfare in the Seventeenth Century in anticipation of my various conquests.
pirateaj14
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote

I am reading The Lion of the North by G.A. Henty. It's about the Protestant War in Germany during the 1630s. It pitted the Protestant Princes and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden against the Holy Roman Empire. I have read many of Henty books and am reading them in chronological order.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote

pirateaj14 wrote:
I am reading The Lion of the North by G.A. Henty. It's about the Protestant War in Germany during the 1630s. It pitted the Protestant Princes and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden against the Holy Roman Empire. I have read many of Henty books and am reading them in chronological order.

I prefer history over historical fiction, but wow! That's a war in the 17th century, so I think I'll be reading about that soon too! Shocked
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Huzzah, I am now a moderator here at this forum too! Very Happy

My first unlock here, as I've finished Warfare in the Seventeenth Century. Now I'm onto The Last Armada: Queen Elizabeth, Juan del Águila, and the 100-Day Spanish Invasion of England. I'm not far into it, but it's quite good - all nonfiction, but reads more like a novel than a textbook.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:41 am Reply with quote

Finished The Last Armada. Was a good read, and definitely a good one for those who like history with a novel-esque twist perhaps. My only issue with it was how little of the book was devoted to the combat operations.

Next up is The AskGaryVee Book, though between having watched a lot of the videos already and not being interested in every single Q&A, I don't think I'll read it front to back.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:52 am Reply with quote

I'm not "reading" any books presently, but there is Victory of the West: The Great Christian-Muslim Clash at the Battle of Lepanto by Niccolo Capponi. It's an excellent read, and I highly suggest it to anyone interested in the events leading up to the last great battle of the galleys. Note that the book is a bit light on the battle itself and the aftermath.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote

I recently picked up "Ahsoka", by E. K. Johnston, from the local library.

It fills in some of the gap after the end of The Clone Wars when she left the Jedi Order, and how she survived Order 66, before eventually reappearing in Rebels in the early days of the Rebellion. I'm only a couple chapters in, but it's pretty good so far.
pirateaj14
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote

Fancy this: (because it's related to the Pirates game) I'm on what you would call a "classics crusade." I'm reading lots of classics to catch all of the quotes and metaphors that people use regularly. I'm on The Three Musketeers right now. All four of the main characters (D'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis) are represented in the Barbary Coast set.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Black Mongoose Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: