Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Rules for thought #10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Rules for thought #10   PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Now that the Rules survey has some results, I think it would be a good idea to discuss some various options in detail.

Quote:
Feel free to elaborate on any changes to Mysterious Islands that you would have liked to see.

Quote:
Mysterious Islands are nice as they are because they allow for you introduce a little chaos into the usual island routine. Being very powerful and potentially game breaking is kind of their function. We would never watch movies with fantasy islands that are not above and beyond our regular human experience. However, introducing some island that can be more easily implemented into standard games would be a good addition to the game. Maintaining the option for very powerful or more relaxed. It would be good if each mysterious island had a powerful side and a relaxed side so each island contributes to both styles of games.

I like this idea. As-is, some MI's are way too powerful, but others never seem to impact a game. I think having a "wild or mild" option could satisfy more players than the current configuration for them.

~~~~~
Check out my latest blog post at Pirates with Ben!
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote

I agree somewhat. I do think that MI's should have a 'tame' and 'nuts' ability. If I was to change something about them, I would take away their 'no effect' setting. That makes them boring to me and too safe, I feel they should be more 'dangerous' if you know what I mean.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I agree somewhat. I do think that MI's should have a 'tame' and 'nuts' ability. If I was to change something about them, I would take away their 'no effect' setting. That makes them boring to me and too safe, I feel they should be more 'dangerous' if you know what I mean.

Laughing XD I don't know what I like better, "wild or mild" or "tame or nuts". Laughing

I agree that the no effect can make them a little boring perhaps, but I don't like them being more dangerous either. (your Blood Islands are an example of why I say that... Smile )
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Rules for thought #10   PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Now that the Rules survey has some results, I think it would be a good idea to discuss some various options in detail.

Quote:
Feel free to elaborate on any changes to Mysterious Islands that you would have liked to see.

I never particularly liked the way they were set up. Many of the effects were too random and too swingy, and too many of them were too easy to "farm" for their effects - extra UTs, messing with other player, etc.. Giving Mercenary crew a bonus for being on their linked ship was neat, but not nearly as meaningful as it could have been with better linked pairs and better MI effects.

What I'd prefer instead with the MIs would be something more subtle, with less randomness and more/only localized effects. Things that would hurt and/or help, without the potential to completely throw the game on a single lucky/unlucky die roll. Ideally there'd be no die rolling at all, and you just have to deal with the effect (or ignore it if that's an option).

Things like this, for example:
--When a ship explores this island, remove any number of this ship's crew from the game and replace them with a single treasure of equal value (max 6 gold).
--Ships may be given repair actions while docked at this island. If they do, they may repair two masts at once.
--This island cannot be explored. When a ship is given a move action to leave this island, it may load one treasure at random from the island (apply any UT effects before moving).
--Ships docked at this island cannot be targeted with shoot actions. During the turn a ship leaves this island, its base move is reduced to S.
--Ships may explore this island as a free action when they dock. When a ship explores this island, eliminate one mast on the ship for each treasure loaded (the number of treasures loaded cannot exceed the number of masts eliminated).
--Great Turtle (I really like how these work - they won't change the outcome of a game on their own, but can be fun to play with.)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Rules for thought #10   PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:

Quote:

I never particularly liked the way they were set up. Many of the effects were too random and too swingy, and too many of them were too easy to "farm" for their effects - extra UTs, messing with other player, etc.. Giving Mercenary crew a bonus for being on their linked ship was neat, but not nearly as meaningful as it could have been with better linked pairs and better MI effects.

What I'd prefer instead with the MIs would be something more subtle, with less randomness and more/only localized effects. Things that would hurt and/or help, without the potential to completely throw the game on a single lucky/unlucky die roll. Ideally there'd be no die rolling at all, and you just have to deal with the effect (or ignore it if that's an option).

Things like this, for example:
--When a ship explores this island, remove any number of this ship's crew from the game and replace them with a single treasure of equal value (max 6 gold).
--Ships may be given repair actions while docked at this island. If they do, they may repair two masts at once.
--This island cannot be explored. When a ship is given a move action to leave this island, it may load one treasure at random from the island (apply any UT effects before moving).
--Ships docked at this island cannot be targeted with shoot actions. During the turn a ship leaves this island, its base move is reduced to S.
--Ships may explore this island as a free action when they dock. When a ship explores this island, eliminate one mast on the ship for each treasure loaded (the number of treasures loaded cannot exceed the number of masts eliminated).
--Great Turtle (I really like how these work - they won't change the outcome of a game on their own, but can be fun to play with.)

Those are some interesting ideas! I'll add a link to your post in the Game Ideas thread. I do like how the positive negative is balanced effectively rather than all-or-nothing with a die roll.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: