Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Rules for thought #11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Rules for thought #11   PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Now that the Rules survey has some results, I think it would be a good idea to discuss some various options in detail.

The latest idea comes from a recent comment on a youtube video.

Astronaut wrote:
So point cost damage plays like this. Say my ship has a point cost of 20, and the enemy has a point cost of 23. So whoever started attacking can attack first as long a captain is in play. Say the enemy shooting me has a five masted galleon, and hits my ship 4 out of 5 times. That puts my ships point cost down to 16 out of 20. now during each cannon roll from the enemy player i roll as well for my return fire shots. Now return fire is only used once and the person returning fire can't use any special abilities on ship, crew, strange coins, etc. the enemy player that has the turn can only use those during a fight. Now once it's my turn i can choose to continue attacking the enemy players ship or move. and again each player moves all their game pieces each turn.

At first glance I think the idea has great potential:

a7xfanben wrote:
Hmm, that's really interesting. I think I like it a lot actually! As the point cost effectively decreases, I assume crew are kicked off the ship due to them not fitting into the new point cap space? This is really cool, since it simulates battles in a better way rather than having every single hit eliminate a mast. And, crew could be eliminated once they don't fit anymore. There's a lot of additional questions that could come up though... my main one would be: does mast elimination ever occur? I could see masts being eliminated on hits of 6, or perhaps at predetermined point levels like 5, 10, 15, etc. (though that doesn't work for most ships I suppose)

Astronaut wrote:
Yeah, like i said we've just recently started using it, and it's still very new and has a lot to be fixed. Like some crew abilities not corresponding with the new damage system. But it's a work in progress. I've been actually looking in to making my own Custom Ships, would be a lot of fun i think

What do you think?

I suppose there are more questions than answers right now, but it's a system that has potential. I especially like that it leads to longer and more realistic battles, though representing mast damage would need to be figured out. Any suggestions welcome!

~~~~~
Check out my latest blog post at Pirates with Ben!
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote

As is, using expensive crew, or a lot of crew that becomes expensive, generally is a risky strategy to me. While some combos work wonders, others are much more niche and situational. Another way for those expensive crew combinations to be knocked off of a ship seems really dangerous to me.

I think it is worth pointing out that the example does use big 20+ point examples. Losing 4 points on a cheaper 10 masters (14-1Cool, that could be a more present threat. And moreso as you get down to the cheaper flagships like the Franklin or theMorning Star . Kind of balances them more evenly, but at the cost of making crew even more risky
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Rules for thought #11   PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:

I suppose there are more questions than answers right now, but it's a system that has potential. I especially like that it leads to longer and more realistic battles, though representing mast damage would need to be figured out. Any suggestions welcome!
It's an interesting concept, and might work out in a few small-scale skirmish/deathmatch games.

In the game as a whole, to actually make it work correctly with any attempt at balance would require a complete, ground-up revamp of the of the damage system.

Tracking is going to be a major issue either way, and the more ships you have in play the worse it's going to get.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: