Help determining when patents expire/etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote

flungus wrote:
To be clear, i loved the physical game and would love it to return, but I feel that for Pirates to come back and remain both popular and profitable going digital is the best answer.

You have a great point, especially in the long run. By the time the patent expires or NECA decides to actually try something, tech and gaming will be even more advanced. A lot of people enjoyed the SOE version that hasn't been around in about 7 years, so imagine what proper funding could do for a digital Pirates relaunch... personally I have a feeling more people would be interested in playing than even the survey suggests. (about 2/3 would be willing to play a digital version)

I'm planning to unlock this periodically to keep it visible and available in case anyone wants to post or chime in.
flungus
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:23 am Reply with quote

The SOE version was very well made but the pricing format was garbage and I think that fact killed the game hard and fast.

However a similar version that could also run on mobile that was ftp but had some form of micro-transaction: for example making a different faction playable for free each week, but you could buy packs and individual ships if you wanted, and having an in game currency (gold duh) that you could spend on in game items would work well.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote

flungus wrote:
The SOE version was very well made but the pricing format was garbage and I think that fact killed the game hard and fast.

However a similar version that could also run on mobile that was ftp but had some form of micro-transaction: for example making a different faction playable for free each week, but you could buy packs and individual ships if you wanted, and having an in game currency (gold duh) that you could spend on in game items would work well.

That makes sense, great idea! Very Happy

Personally, if the game went digital I'd want a version that could run on any kind of computer, not just mobile. Though I realize that would be more difficult.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Some interesting info from the subreddit

This just reverts things back to one of my original questions: if the patent does indeed expire around 2022 or at some future date, can Wizkids really just keep extending it indefinitely? If not, will it become public domain or could someone else buy the rights to the game?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: