main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Trading Value of ships by Rarity

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject: Trading Value of ships by Rarity   PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote

Just curious what general guidelines you all use for trading, assuming all cards of a certain rarity were equal (I know, they are not, but let's assume)?

I tend to run with this general ratio:

1 LE (tournament prize) = 2 SR's = 3 or 4 Rares = 4 SE's = 8 Uncommons = 16 commons

aka generally

1 Rare = 2 uncommons = 4 commons
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote

I use this formula
LE,SE,PR = 8 points
SR = 6 points
R = 4 Points
U = 2 points
C/G/Island = 1 point
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote

You guys value your LE's pretty high.

Some ships have no trade value in my opinion, they are simply worth too much. Gale Force Nine, the 10 masters, USS Denver, etc. But most LE's I'd rank lower than a SR ship, equal to an SR crew.

So:

SR ship = 2 SR crew = 2 LE's = 6 R cards (meaning 2 3 card ships, 6 single card ships or crew or any combination)

I don't generally trade rares for anything lower than a rare.

I usually treat uncommons and commons as the same but do give some weight to the uncommons.

Islands I'll give away. I use them for packing.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:24 am Reply with quote

I don't make a difference inbetween ships and crew in my trading. It also makes a small difference on how long I have had the card or how badly I want what I am trading for. I traded a LE ocean's edge tin ship for a rare because I needed the rare, and I have had the ocean's edge ship for awhile with no other offers on it. I rank the SE higher usually cause they are harder to get. I've pulled a SR pack for all the recent sets and know I can also buy them on E-bay, where as the LE are harder to find. Some ships are not worth anything, like the PotC Flying Dutchman #300, since they were giving them away. and the ones you mentioned are hard to get so I don't have extra to trade on them, so don't have to wrrying about them at all.
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote

all good info...

The biggest disparity I see is ranking Tournament Prize LEs vs SR's. Some rank them as worth 2 SRs, some people just the opposite. I like Godzillas weighting method... good stuff.

I wonder how much utility vs collectability weighs in...
most of the LE's are harder to collect (= worth more to a collector),
but most of the SR's are worth more than the average LE ( = more value in playability).

Of course, not all cards are equal within a rarity, and sometimes they seem very arbitrarily ranked rarity wise. Who would argue a LE Baochuan is not worth at least 2 packs of OE SR's? : )

Last edited by holofernes on Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
captain_arrr

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote

I think a card's value is proportional to it's usability and it's rarity. If a ship is a super rare, but is a horrible ship, it will still be valuable, but you wouldn't be able to trade it for say a Super Rare that is REALLY useful. The usefulness in game play ups the demand.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote

holofernes wrote:
Who would argue a LE Baochuan is not worth at least 2 packs of OE SR's? : )

I will.

I haven't checked ebay for a long while on them but a LE Baochuan could be had for $20. A SR pack of any type rarely sells for less than $30. Now OE is probably the least desireable SR set out there but at worst it's still worth $20. With time that will all change and perhaps I'm behind the times with it now I don't know.

The value of all cards changes considerably. When they first come out, there are a lot of people with more money than brains that bid things sky high. Like the Gale Force Nine's selling for over $100 when you could still get the island set with them included for $25. The same thing happens with all the LE's, SE's and SR's. They peak very high at first, then slowly decrease to a low level where they remain before slowly increasing again as demand starts surpassing supply.

More playable ships are going to demand a premium because each played ship removes one from the collectible market. No serious collector is ever going to want a punched ship unless it's one that you could only get that way.

I would say in general, it's the collectors who drive the price. Few LE's are playable from what I've read. I don't know, I'm 98% collector and don't play with anything above an uncommon although I did build one of the 10 masters. So the players aren't going to be searching them out and buying them. The average player probably doesn't know they exist. They aren't on the checklists.
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Good luck getting any takers! I was being rhetorical, but I sure wouldn't make that trade even if I needed them. They're just not worth as much as a normal SR pack in my mind, due to what they actually are...

The true worth of the Bao of course being in it's playability worth, since as you point out, the "cost" worth has gone down a lot. I paid less than $20 for a Bao as I recall, but see them going for $25 and up routinely on eBay lately. So they are rebounding as supply drops I guess.

Now compare the average eBay cost of an LE (prize) set from SCS and DJC...it's not even close. SCS is practically being given away, whereas you never even see a full DJC prize set, and the singles are pretty expensive when offered.

Still, the king of rarity/cost on eBay seems to be the CC Prize LE set still. That one also took me the longest to assemble, over a year.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote

I've seen the bouchan going for about 40 or more most days on e-bay. The on that is hard to find is the Guichan, of course the one I want. I also have hard time spending over 25 for just one ship.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote

I am a bookeeper by trade, so putting things into a mathmatical equasion makes more sense to me. Thanks for the compliment Holofernes
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote

I actually usually don't care about the rarity. I think its all relative. I'm usually comfortable with trading a rare card for a not-so-rare card. In my opinion, DPotC and RotF are all rare to me, since I rarely get to the LGS these days (I'm going tomorrow oh boy oh boy oh boy Very Happy )

However, I still reserve LEs and SEs for good trades, but again I trade under what I should get. For instance, I don't mind sending an LE for a Rare.

When I send an offer, I typically send more out than the asked card is worth.

I guess what I'm trying to say is rarity doesn't matter much. But I do know when someone is trying to jip me. . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: