main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Scandinavian Islands - I got them

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old_man
Guru
Guru

Subject: Scandinavian Islands - I got them   PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Here we go:

the ships, the paper coins, the 'HOME' islands and the 'Special Pack' wrapper

old_man
- crazy collector -
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote

old_man, I don't think you are crazy. I think you are one heck of a good collector. Wait, that might mean I'm crazy.

You might want to take a few moments to discuss this aquisition. Is this the rarest of the rare? Is this the Mt. Everest of Pirates collecting?
old_man
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Ask holo!

Or look at this thread:
http://www.miniaturetrading.com/im/forum/viewtopic/t=3597/highlight=scandinavian//

I was searching for more than a year I think.

And now the next Herculean task:

The rarest of the rare
http://www.miniaturetrading.com/im/forum/viewtopic/t=3226/highlight=//

old_man
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote

I would guess that of all the officially released cards made by WizKids, these Island Variants (2 island cards with the word Home on them) are the very most difficult to find.

Mostly because they were ONLY released in a Scandinavian comic book - a small run and quickly out of print. Not many folks have ties to players in Scandinavia!

It took me over a year to find them, though less than a month from when I really started hunting them instead of just posting them as wants. The person I got them from just gave them to me, so I donated to his favorite charity in thanks. : )

As for unoffically released cards, the one Old_Man has an image of is unknown anywhere outside of that image... i.e. it might be a pre-production mockup or beta paper card.

Also, the ROTF LE's exist bit have not been officially released... and no one will say where they came from or if they will ever be officially released.

Add to that any preproduction artists mockups or models (The was a blank same-scale sea dragon on ebay last year), and you have the toughest unofficial cards... none of which I own. : )
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote

Great banks of infomation! These are the discussions I like the most--collecting rariety.

I bought a bunch of Alpha SM cards from a dealer on eBay and he said he had a bunch of SM cards signed by the original designers of the game. Cool stuff.
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote

if you collect the bits of paper too (which I don't, only "cards"), then the ROTF Stories are also near the top of the "hard to get official release" list, due to the mess up with packing them in onme of 10 packs.

I wonder what a full set of 10 of those would go for on ebay?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote

What about the generic Jade captain? Shouldn't there be a discussion of the gradations of rarity?

(I just used the word "gradations" so I know I've had too many dark & stormies--but it is Friday for us pirates types, no?.)

So what are the top five rarities?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote

Rarity depends on what you do.For example, Old_man thinks his Scandinavian islands are almost at the top of rarity, but i wouldn't spend a cent on them. Why? I play, i don't collect. Often, rarity goes on the difficulty to find some items rather than on their playability.
For me (a player), the top four is:
1) Loki's Revenge (difficult to find and very strong to play...have 1)
2) Grinder (the most difficult to find of RoTF megacards...have 1)
3) Guichuan (hey, i put this one as a prize on Press-gang contest!)
4) Sleigh (it's forbidden in tournaments, just check her abilities...
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote

I know I've read this before, like deja vu. . .hmm. . .oh yeah:

http://www.miniaturetrading.com/im/forum/viewtopic/t=3597///

We had a thread about it about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but its a couple of pages away from here. This should help out.
old_man
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote

ziotoo4 wrote:

1) Loki's Revenge (difficult to find and very strong to play...have 1)
2) Grinder (the most difficult to find of RoTF megacards...have 1)
3) Guichuan (hey, i put this one as a prize on Press-gang contest!)
4) Sleigh (it's forbidden in tournaments, just check her abilities...

you need one of ziotoo4’s list?

Always ask the old_man
of old_man

I don’t collect misprints like the blank sea dragon, production errors like non cut cards or (artist-) signed cards, but every variation of a set for example the 3 versions of SM.
So my next collecting tasks are the pre-production cards, you see at the picture in the link above and the RotF LE’s, colringbk posted a picture of. And the June prize kit, July prize kit and so on…

holo, I think I saw a set of all RotF stories at ebay for about 40 US$

old_man
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote

Heh - good thing I don't collect all the bits of paper, only cards. That's a lot for 10 bits of paper!
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote

That's also what they said about Magic, but you still see the Power 9 cards sold individually for like, $1000 or more.
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

I don’t collect misprints like the blank sea dragon, production errors like non cut cards or (artist-) signed cards, but every variation of a set for example the 3 versions of SM.

I dunno, SM Alpha and Beta only differ in the strength of the ink used to print them - they aren't true variants, in my book. No differences in ship numbers, names, stats, etc. Alpha cards usually go for less than beta cards due to their enemic looks.

But I only say that to prevent myself from wanting to collect both an Alpha and a Beta binder-full. My SM Limited set is a mix of both alpha and beta cards. : )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: