main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Fleet Challenge 5-19-2008

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canceled user

Subject: Fleet Challenge 5-19-2008   PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote

For this fleet challenge, I'm officially moving the United Nations International Day for Biological Diversity from May 22nd to May 19th, but only for those purposes directly related to non-historical piracy.

50 point fleet, deathmatch.

Pieces with the "Ransom" keyword are not allowed (i.e., no 0LR +5 crew). Non-Ransom Limit keywords are allowed (i.e., Behemoth is OK).

Fleet must include at least three non-human creatures. For the purposes of this challenge, crew which may have started out as human but now look like some kind of bizarre fish/human or mollusk/human hybrid (such as Merrow, Jimmy Legs, Maccus, Trogs, or Sargasso Nightmare) count as non-human creatures. Monkeys, parrots, dogs, and tigers also count as non-human creatures. I have no idea what Tidal Fiends are supposed to be, but for the moment let's call them non-human creatures as well. Human skeletons/undead still count as human. Hag of Tortuga (RotF version) is human, but could really use some moisturizer or skin cream.

Events: Mermaids will be allowed, and will count a type of non-human creature. And to keep things fair, Favor of the Gods will also be allowed, under the premise that "gods" could refer to non-human deities. However, since they are not influencing events directly and are referred to en masse, such divine intervention will not count as a non-human creature. No other events allowed.

In the Armies section, please put "____'s IDBD Fleet"
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Sea Monsters are non-human, right?

Make me know! Thanks! Fede
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote

ziotoo4 wrote:
Sea Monsters are non-human, right?

Yes. I was originally going to require three different types of creatures, with giant squid, sea serpents, and sharks all counting as different creatures, but then it occurred to me that might be too restrictive for my "All Sharks" idea...

After seeing the first two entries, I'm thinking that counting the Mermaids event as a creature may not have been my brightest idea.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Actually, I have 4 monsters Mermaids, Merrow, Squalo, and Sargasso Nightmare.

So I could take out mermaids and still have 3 monsters.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote

I have to admit, at first I was not really excited about this challenge.

But then I started piecing the fleet together and thought "This one is really fun to play." Just to let you guys know that I don't look at any one's fleet until I've built mine, so if I copied your ideas, it was a total accident.

Darrin--this fleet forced me to be creative and challenged my building skills. I ended up needing to refer to Woelf's rules, FAQs, and other inquiries to see if I have the abilities working the way they should. Also, I usually build fleets and stick with them, never changing their makeup. This time, I realized I had a better combo if I changed it, so I did. Thanks darrin, for helping me become a better, and more careful, fleet-builder. I hope I met the requirements of the fleet. I wanted to make an entire non-human fleet, but I had to throw one in to help it out. I would have titled it Beauty and the Beasts (What?? Its a Disney's theme-based fleet)

Check it out and let me know what you think.
colringbk's IBDB fleet
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Speaking of beasts... Teach is still screwed up in the database.

Point cost should be 13 (OE checklist is wrong). Special ability should be:

"Sea Monster. If this sea monster succeeds at a boarding party, it may eliminate all of the other ship's crew."
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote

Ok, I just changed it. Squalo is the shark with Fear.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote

Would everyone be OK with changing the judging system? Perhaps the poster of the challenge could judge the winner? This, of course, doesn't mean that the poster of the challenge cannot post a fleet, it just means that they cannot choose their fleet as a win.
phymatine
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea, also nice to have a different judge every week.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay... colringbk asked me to pick a winner Sunday evening or Monday morning. Didn't happen.

Winner: colringbk.

Actually, it's more of a tie between colringbk and Phytamine's fleet, but see below...

While ziotoo4 read my mind and created a fleet I would have dearly loved to put together myself, I didn't see anything in there that could deal with the Kraken ability (Sea Dragon can't use shoot/swoop unless it's surrounded), much less a Kraken with the Eternal keyword. So it appeared to me that the two most powerful fleets were Phytamine's and colringbk's. Of those two, both included a cancel ability, but colringbk's was more powerful (33% chance of working, but cancels *all* crew abilities, including his own, but doesn't have to be within S). Phytamine's canceler was also on the rather delicate Banshee's Cry. And while the Banshee's Cry could easily outrun a Kraken, eventually colringbk was going to roll a 5 or 6, and Jonah's ability would stop working, forcing him to immediately dump everybody but Maccus overboard. This leaves two Eternal Krakens fighting it out for the rest of the game, neither one able to cancel the "Eternal" keyword. Which leaves us the interesting conundrum of what happens when a kraken surrounds another kraken? Either way, that's going to be one very long Deathmatch...

Tiebreaker: colringbk's fleet is more "Biologically diverse".

He included the Kraken, Jimmy Legs, and Maccus as non-human creatures. Captain Davy Jones (DPotC version) also counts as non-human, or at least half-human/half-squid. And another fraction of a point for including "Black Swan" as another creature, at least in name.

Interesting technique, putting Jonah on the Black Swan... I thought he was unnecessary, until I realized you were using Davy Jones to capture eliminated enemy crew. Jonah would allow them to remain on the Black Swan if they went over the point cost. Jimmy Legs could then SAC them for an extra action. However, this combo doesn't work well with the Kraken's "cancel all crew abilities" thing. Having some way to eliminate enemy crew would also have been nice (crew on sunken ships are *removed*, not eliminated... an extremely annoying kink in the rules that I wish someone would fix.)
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote

darrin wrote:

While ziotoo4 read my mind and created a fleet I would have dearly loved to put together myself, I didn't see anything in there that could deal with the Kraken ability (Sea Dragon can't use shoot/swoop unless it's surrounded), much less a Kraken with the Eternal keyword.

I like how you chose the winner, and, believe me, that would have been my choice as well.
Still, i'm not so sure that my fleet wouldn't be able to face an eternal kraken.
In fact, Behemoth could actually copy any crew-shutting ability and use it as well. Phimathine's fleet was using a real canceller, also, so...
Anyway, i'm not complaining, i would have picked colringbk fleet as well Razz

ciao! Fede
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote

ziotoo4 wrote:
I like how you chose the winner, and, believe me, that would have been my choice as well.
Still, i'm not so sure that my fleet wouldn't be able to face an eternal kraken.
In fact, Behemoth could actually copy any crew-shutting ability and use it as well. Phimathine's fleet was using a real canceller, also, so...
Anyway, i'm not complaining, i would have picked colringbk fleet as well Razz

Yes, I did consider the Behemoth's copying ability. You could copy a cancel ability, which would give you an advantage over Phytamine's fleet. However, against colringbk, the Kraken's "cancel all crew abilities" wouldn't do anything against the Kraken's Eternal keyword. Also, if either the Kraken or Behemoth rolled a 5 or 6, Robinson's ability would stop working, and you'd have to dump Lord Mycron overboard. Without the ability to give your Sea Dragon multiple actions, your Sea Dragon would have to run away for the rest of the game or get eaten by the Kraken.

Apollak's fleet also featured an Eternal keyword (Skin Flayer) with a sorta-cancel ability (Squalo's Fear). Apollak vs. colringbk would actually be a quite complicated match-up... I initially thought it was another stalemate/tie situation, but it's not quite that simple. The odds of Squalo rolling "5" enough to allow all of the Kraken's segments to be removed are pretty low, but given enough time Squalo could eventually whittle down the Kraken... so long as Captain Davy Jones wasn't around.

If Apollak manages to capture, sink, or eliminate Captain Davy Jones, then Squalo will eventually defeat the Kraken:

1. Squalo rolls a "5" on Fear. Surface and shoot at Kraken.
2. Kraken spends next action surrounding Squalo.
3. Squalo submerges. Kraken can't shoot him, but he can't move away until he rolls a 5 again on Fear. Assuming he rolls a 5, move L away.
4. Repeat until Kraken is sunk.

That's assuming Squalo can move far enough away that the Kraken can't keep him perpetually surrounded (surfacing while surrounded would be suicide for Squalo, unless the Kraken only had 1 or 2 masts left). I don't have a way to measure that... I think I traded my only Kraken away.

But if colringbk manages to capture the Skin Flayer (shoot off all her masts, cancel all crew abilities, and then ram+tow with the Black Swan), then the best Squalo can hope for is to spend the rest of the game submerged, forcing a stalemate. If he surfaces within S, the Kraken can shoot without surrounding via Captain Davy Jones. My guess is the odds are in colringbk's favor (Kraken's cancel works on a 5 or a 6, Squalo's only on a 5). But in the event of a tie:

Apollak's fleet also had 4 non-human creatures in it, but I gave a fraction of a point to colringbk for using the Black Swan.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: