main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Fleet Challenge 5-26-08: 3 Pirate Lords

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canceled user

Subject: Fleet Challenge 5-26-08: 3 Pirate Lords   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote

Here's what I was thinking: I wanted to do a Back to the Basics game, just a plain old 40 point fleet for treasure. But then I thought, that's pretty boring. So then I wanted to go with a theme, and that got too restricting, so I'm stretching the theme out.

3 Pirate Lords

We're going to look at the 3 most popular pirates in the game: Captain Blackheart, Captain Jack Hawkins, and Calico Cat. Pick one of these captains and design a 40 point fleet. There will be bonuses provided throughout the challenge with clues that will help you out.

Rules:
  1. You must choose only 1 of the 3 Pirate Lords
  2. All of your ships and crew must reflect a friendly relationship to those Lords. For instance, you can't use Jack Hawkins or his ships in the same fleet as Blackheart or his ships. It goes along with the Hostile:, Loyal: aspect. Also, you can have only 1 version of the Pirate Lord in the fleet. Don't worry, I provided a list. If you can find a ship or crew that belongs in the list and its missing, you will be awarded 1 extra build point. PM me, but, you must be able to defend your reasoning.
  3. This is a standard treasure game, so remember that.
  4. No 0-point limit ransom crew allowed, since only 1 of them is connected to any of the Pirate Lords. You will be awarded 2 build points if you can PM me who it is.
  5. No SEs, PRs, or LEs. Sorry, but I want this to be from cards easily accessible. I know, King Blackheart would be great, but sorry.
  6. All other standard fleet building rules apply
  7. When titling this fleet, give it "username's 3 Pirate Lords"

Here's the 3 Pirate Lords and their items you may choose. Good luck.

Captain Blackheart (PoSM PC-002, PoSMU 030, PofDJC 45A, RotF 019)
Skyme the Monkey (PofSM PC-009, PofSMU 037, PofDJC 47A)
Havana Black (PofCC 024)
El Chico (PofSM PS-019, PofSMU 019)
Harbinger (PofSM PS-003, PofSMU 003)
Fool's Hope (RotF 001)
Deliverance (OE 022 *** I'll allow PofCC 001 Deliverance if you can defend its ownership by Blackheart, but its flavor text mentions it owned by Wraith at this time***)
Gilded Monkey (PofCC 012)
HMS Bolingbroke (PofSM ES-010, PofSMU 010) ***3 extra build points if you can tell me why I included this ship in Blackheart's list***

Captain Jack Hawkins (PofSM PC-004, PofSMU 032, CC 025, BC 043, DJC 044, OE 037)[/b]
Skyme the Monkey (PofSM PC-009, PofSMU 037)
Gunner (FN 038A)
Shap'ng Tsai (OE 040)
El Ballista (PofSM PC-015, PofSMU 015)
Harbinger (DJC 034)
Sea Nymph (PofSM PS-009, PofSMU 009)
Snipe (PofSM PS-002, PofSMU 002)
HMS Snipe (OE 053)

Calico Cat (PofSM PC-001, PofSMU 029, PofSCS 042, PatOE 038, RotF 056)
Grim the Savage (FN 024)
Crimson Angel (RotF 061B)
Cat's Claw (OE 032)
Neptune's Hoard (OE 025)
Lady's Scorn (F&S 046, RotF 025, PofSCS 031)
Black Cat (DJC 036)
HMS Cumberland (PofCC 038)
Devil's Kiss (FN 033)
L'Argus (PofSCS 081)
Shadow (PofSM PS-005, PofSMU 005)
Zephyr (PofSM PS-004, PofSMU 004)

Last edited by Canceled user on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is "PM" and how does one "PM" you?
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote

PM = private message.

Like wot I just sent you Smile
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote

So, if for example, i chose Jack Hawkins, i can only use:

Skyme the Monkey (PofSM PC-009, PofSMU 037)
Gunner (FN 038A)
Shap'ng Tsai (OE 040)
El Ballista (PofSM PC-015, PofSMU 015)
Harbinger (DJC 034)
Sea Nymph (PofSM PS-009, PofSMU 009)
Snipe (PofSM PS-002, PofSMU 002)
HMS Snipe (OE 053)

in my fleet?

Or it means that, if i use Calico or Blackheart i can't use those cards?

Make me know!

ciao! Fede
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote

Also, i would add:

Jack Hawkins:
Angelica (OE 140)- he keeps a cow on board to feed her because she saved his ship once...

Blackheart:
he should be Hostile: Crimson Angel, because she tricked him by kissing her in OE
and also Hostile: Ralh David, even if he's american, not pirate, because he killed Ralph's wife...

Is that 3 points? Smile

ciao! Fede
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote

ziotoo4 wrote:
Also, i would add:

Jack Hawkins:
Angelica (OE 140)- he keeps a cow on board to feed her because she saved his ship once...

Blackheart:
he should be Hostile: Crimson Angel, because she tricked him by kissing her in OE
and also Hostile: Ralh David, even if he's american, not pirate, because he killed Ralph's wife...

Is that 3 points? Smile

ciao! Fede

Sorry Fede,
No to the question about Angelica. If you read the rules, it says no SEs, PRs, and LEs. Angelica classifies as an SE. Sorry. I left those cards out because it would be an unfair advantage, especially if you were to choose Emperor Blackheart and Zeus.

No points to the other questions also (but there are five free points to be had out there). Here's why:

According to the rules #2, all ships and crew must reflect a friendly relationship to the Pirate Lord you choose. The lists below each Lord are guided by flavor texts. So, I went through and found the ships/crew that were mentioned as "friendly" to that Lord. Some crew members were mentioned as being pets of a Lord at one time, or have worked with that Lord for a while. The ships below each Lord are listed as having been owned at one time or another.

Therefore, Ralph David isn't friendly to any of the Pirate Lords since he did not work with any of them or shared anything in common except for hostility. So, he should not show up in anyone's fleet. Nor should any other odd crew member show up that is excluded from the list. Generic crews and equipment are of course allowed.

So, yes, the list is rather restricting, but then again it wouldn't be a challenge without restrictions. There are not many named crew available, but thats how the stories go.

Essentially, I wanted to see strong combinations using simple fleets. No complex movements or finding loopholes in the rules (well, you'll have to try really hard if you want to do that). Its back to the basics, pure and simple. Who can get the gold back the fastest while fending off the enemy? Thats the task at hand. Describing your strategy and the use of the tools that you have will help you win this challenge.

*Note: the rules do not mention that you cannot use Events or Unique Treasures. I will also allow Forts.

milbarber--At the bottom of each comment by the users is a white rectangle that says PM. This will bring you to a private message box that you can email that user that left the comment.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote

milbarber found 5 extra build points by answering the mysteries.

I'd like everyone to know that the extra points are for everyone. Just because you found them, doesn't mean others cannot get those points too.
Keep looking.

Note, I changed the reward points for the Bolingbroke just to make things a little more even.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote

One might make a case for a Deliverance to be on Jack Hawkins' list due to Angelica's flavor text:

"Angelica was given her name by Jack Hawkins because she once swooped down and destroyed an English battleship that was about to unleash a broadsides attack upon the Deliverance. Since then Jack has kept a cow on board to feed her whenever she appears."

Which Deliverance that would be, I'm not sure, although I assume it would be the OE version, since that is Angelica's set.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote

What about ***edited by colringbk***
colringbk wrote:
You got 1 point for it. I should've mentioned to PM these answer

And would Plague, scurvy, ect.... kill Jack CC?
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote

I looked up your question about Jack Hawkins from Crimson Coast. Part of his ability states "This ship's crew cannot be eliminated unless this ship sinks."

According to the FAQ about Plague:

Q: If a ship with crew that cannot be eliminated loads Plague, what happens?

A: Plague has no effect on the crew that cannot be eliminated, but otherwise functions normally.

So, obviously, the crew is safe, but the ship cannot dock on its HI unless it gets rid of Plague. To get rid of Plague, aside from UTs that remove other UTs (are there any?), you need to touch another ship. THen, Plague loads onto that ship and kills off any of her crew, if they can be eliminated. Is that seem correct to anyone else?

Anyway, I wanted everyone to know that if you PM me something that belongs in the list, according to the rules, and its missing, you do get 1 build point and you can use that ship/crew if it fits according to the rules. Angelica, obviously does not fit since its an SE. So, it is also worth no extra points.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote

I know this was limiting challenge. First, here were the hidden mysteries:

3 points for the HMS Bolingbroke. The captain was a target by Blackheart and the ship was renamed Bloody Throne.

2 points for Contessa Anita Amore who has been seen in the company of Jack Hawkins.

1 point for Wesley having a chance encounter with Jack Hawkins

1 point for Thomas Gunn the Elder perhaps the father of Calico Cat.

1 point for Bonny Peel working with Calico Cat.

So, after reading the fleets, I noticed that some of you are out of the Treasure Running game. In order to win a treasure game, you'd need speed and cargo space. Hard to work with given the ships allowed.

I had to choose fleets that could yield a lot of gold, or as much as possible. Vlad's Strategy of Sacrificing his crew to move around the board is pretty interesting, but he'd have to reveal his SACs early to get into the fray to counter the Hidden Coves that showed up.

Apollak's Unique Treasures could mess with the opponent, but I think having some sort of ship specific for treasure running, maybe one with no crew, would have helped out the most here.

Phymatine had a really good start with 4 ships. I think some adjusting crew and ship combos would have gotten him the winning fleet.

Milbarber went with 3 forts!! I haven't seen that ever! I think the challenge would have been building the forts in the time allotted. But once they were up, that would have been game over! That's a lot of cannon coverage across the seas.

Speed seemed to be the greatest challenge, so darrin and ziotoo4 overcame that using Hidden Cove. Plus the ships they were going to use Hidden Cove with were able to haul most of the treasure. Gilded Monkey gets it home faster, and Cumberland brings an extra one home. Of course, that's dependent on how Hidden Cove is used and for which ship.

But, all in all, I'd have to say that ziotoo's Harbinger could pull it off. With its built in ability and equipped with Stinkpot, it could bring someone home. AND, I liked his idea of swapping out equipment at your home island.

The winner I choose is ziotoo4!! It was a pretty creative fleet and he'll get as much gold as anyone else could get. It just fast with Hidden Cove and Harbinger's combos were well thought at.

Great job everyone. Sorry this challenge was so limiting, but you all came up with creative fleets.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: