main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Fleet challenge 06-02-08:Golden Legacy

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
czamora

Subject: Fleet challenge 06-02-08:Golden Legacy   PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote

Hi all! First of all, thanks to everyone for reading: if you don't understand something, just ask!
The theme of this week's challenge is the Golden Legacy:this group is based on a custom set i made last winter when i was ill. I posted it on WK forum. Name your fleets: _______'s golden legacy

Now, the challenge.
This week's fleet will be a 50 points capture the flag challenge. The goal of this scenario is to capture the flag and bring it back to your Home Island: the first player that makes so, wins!

To fill those 50 poins you must use only ships and crew from the following nations (the Golden Legacy):
Jade Rebellion
Vikings
Mercenaries
Barbary Corsairs

No other nations will be allowed, no matter whatever ability a crew or a ship has. The ability "crew from any nationality can use their abilities on this ship" will allow crew of the Golden Legacy, but not those of the other factions.
No 0LR (limit-ransom) crew allowed.
No forts allowed.
UTs are allowed.
No more than 1 submarine for every fleet will be allowed.
Events are allowed.

Your fleet must contain one crew linked to one ship (the link must be stated from his/her deckplate): that crew must start the game aboard that ship and it will be the "flag". If he's captured, he cannot use his abilities aboard an enemy ship, but he takes up a cargo space when captured

To capture the flag (=the crew) you can:
Win a boarding party against te ship he's on(you steal it instead of eliminating it)
Exploring of a derelict carrying the flag
Loading him from a Wild Island (when the ship carrying the flag is sunk, the flag must be placed on the nearest wild island)

Notice that your opponent might use his other ships to steal the flag back!
And remember that in this contest, strenght is almost as important as speed!

You win the game unloading the flag at your Home Island.

Good Luck!
Fede

Last edited by czamora on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote

Is the flag an item we need to include in our fleet. Should we state the flag will be a UT, or a specific crew? Or is that provided by the person running the game? If its a crew, does the ship gain that ability?

I assume all other keywords and abilities work as normal--Mercenaries cannot dock on home island, right?
czamora

Subject: Re: Fleet challenge 06-02-08:Golden Legacy   PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote

The flag is the crew linked to the ship; that is, in every fleet there must be at least 1 crew linked to 1 ship (note: if there is more than one, you must declare wich is the flag)

Mercenaries, as usually, can't dock at HI; that's why you can also choose ships and crew from the other factions.

ciao! Fede
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Do rules allow crew elimination during a boarding party to capture the flag instead of eliminating it, or do we have to have a crew with an ability that specifically allows the capture of the crew?
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Also, when the "flag crew" is captured, does it still count as crew and does it take up cargo space?
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote

milbarber wrote:
Do rules allow crew elimination during a boarding party to capture the flag instead of eliminating it, or do we have to have a crew with an ability that specifically allows the capture of the crew?

As i said in the rules, you can capture the flag winning a boarding party as normally (you capture it instead of eliminating it).

The flag (=crew that is linked to one ship in your fleet)count as a cargo space, and cannot use his abilities aboard the enemy ship.

Seems like this time the challenge is a little bit strange...i'm sorry for being unclear, just keep asking and, as soon as you post your fleets, i'll write to you to tell if there are problems or not...

thanks! Fede
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote

ziotoo4, I think this is a cool, thought-provoking challenge! It does raise a lot of questions for me, though, since I've never played capture the flag in Pirates. Here's another request for clarification: I'd just to make sure that UTs are not allowed. Wouldn't want to not take advantage if they are.
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote

UTs are allowed: since you win capturing the target crew (the flag), there's no need to explore islands. So, i think that UT won't do any bad to the challenge! Wolves is allowed too, it's reccommended, because it makes people think deeper before sinking the ship carrying the flag Smile
ciao! Fede
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote

zio--I'd like to compete in this fleet challenge, but I feel there is just too much for me to do. Sorry, I'm backing out this week. Just wanted you to know its nothing personal.
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote

I really want to do this, but with Finals this week-I just can't. Crying or Very sad
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote

ziotoo4 wrote:
UTs are allowed: since you win capturing the target crew (the flag), there's no need to explore islands. So, i think that UT won't do any bad to the challenge! Wolves is allowed too, it's reccommended, because it makes people think deeper before sinking the ship carrying the flag Smile
ciao! Fede

I'm a little puzzled by this. Do you still have to provide the normal amount of gold, even though gold isn't being used for anything in the scenario?

Also... can we use Mysterious Islands? Most MI effects have to do with moving around gold coins, which again would be pretty pointless in this scenario, but there are other MIs that have an effect on speed, cargo capacity, etc.
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote

darrin wrote:

I'm a little puzzled by this. Do you still have to provide the normal amount of gold, even though gold isn't being used for anything in the scenario?

Also... can we use Mysterious Islands?

The gold is provided as usually, but has no effect on winning the game: therefore, it's placed only to blend in the mix any UT you use.

Misterious islands cannot be used.

ciao! Fede
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote

Do we have a winner yet?
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote

darrin wrote:
Do we have a winner yet?

I'm sorry, i've been to a theme park with my friends, and i just came back...i had a great time!

Anyway, the winner...

First, let's see the fleets briefly...

Phimatine used a 10 mast ship, that could endure and capture the enemy flag...i like it! Plus, there were some good UTs as well as Sensei Xu, wich i really like!
Milbarber also used Sensei. But the problem in his fleet was that, should the Grand Temple sink, Mobilis could not dock at your HI and therefore you would lose the game...
Darrin made an all-merc fleet, plus, it had a great crew-killing solution. But, well, killing the flag is not the most brilliant move you can make in a "capture the flag" game...err...

So: I liked Milbarber fleet for his brilliant UT setup: sadly, there were many issues: the stalemate if the Temple gets sunk, and the fact that he had 19 points of crew on a 20 points ship (read: one must be unloaded).
Also, while his fleet was very nice, he didn't have any 10 master colossus, nor a wide range of cancellers...
Therefore, Milbarber gets the 3rd place: great work!
The struggle for the 1st and 2nd place was harder: Darrin's fleet was my personal favourite: two canceller+grape shot means that there won't be any ability within you and your opponent! But even if he got all 5 shots on Phyma's Baochuan, there would still have been 5 masts within him and the flag: more than enough to kill both Santa Molina and Bosun's bane. But then? Mobilis would cancel Fiore, and if it stays submerged, the flag can't be captured. But if it surfaces, it will be sunk. The result is a stalemate...
I was about to declare a ex-aequo, when i thought: what if the Baochuan captures Bosun's Bane when it's derelict, and uses Sensei Xu to bring in an oarsman? The first Fiore would cancel Mobilis and the second would cancel the Submarine keyword, leaving the flag without any protection... This decided the challenge: Phimatine gets the 1st place and Darrin the 2nd!

Great work, everyone! I'm amazed of the quality of the submission, i liked all of your fleets and deciding a winner has been really a hard task!

Phima, make a challenge as soon as you can!

ciao! Fede
czamora

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote

darrin wrote:
Do we have a winner yet?

I'm sorry, i've been to a theme park with my friends, and i just came back...i had a great time!

Anyway, the winner...

First, let's see the fleets briefly...

Phimatine used a 10 mast ship, that could endure and capture the enemy flag...i like it! Plus, there were some good UTs as well as Sensei Xu, wich i really like!
Milbarber also used Sensei. But the problem in his fleet was that, should the Grand Temple sink, Mobilis could not dock at your HI and therefore you would lose the game...
Darrin made an all-merc fleet, plus, it had a great crew-killing solution. But, well, killing the flag is not the most brilliant move you can make in a "capture the flag" game...err...

So: I liked Milbarber fleet for his brilliant UT setup: sadly, there were many issues: the stalemate if the Temple gets sunk, and the fact that he had 19 points of crew on a 20 points ship (read: one must be unloaded).
Also, while his fleet was very nice, he didn't have any 10 master colossus, nor a wide range of cancellers...
Therefore, Milbarber gets the 3rd place: great work!
The struggle for the 1st and 2nd place was harder: Darrin's fleet was my personal favourite: two canceller+grape shot means that there won't be any ability within you and your opponent! But even if he got all 5 shots on Phyma's Baochuan, there would still have been 5 masts within him and the flag: more than enough to kill both Santa Molina and Bosun's bane. But then? Mobilis would cancel Fiore, and if it stays submerged, the flag can't be captured. But if it surfaces, it will be sunk. The result is a stalemate...
I was about to declare a ex-aequo, when i thought: what if the Baochuan captures Bosun's Bane when it's derelict, and uses Sensei Xu to bring in an oarsman? The first Fiore would cancel Mobilis and the second would cancel the Submarine keyword, leaving the flag without any protection... This decided the challenge: Phimatine gets the 1st place and Darrin the 2nd!

Great work, everyone! I'm amazed of the quality of the submission, i liked all of your fleets and deciding a winner has been really a hard task!

Phima, make a challenge as soon as you can!

ciao! Fede
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: