main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Fleet Challenge 7-15-08: First of the Cursed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canceled user

Subject: Fleet Challenge 7-15-08: First of the Cursed   PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote

Ok, I really should be doing a challenge based around July 14th, Bastille Day ("Free the dungeons of the innocent, the king will kneel and let his kingdom rise..."). And while it might be interesting to do some sort of scenario where you have to blow apart a French fort (Paradis de la Mer) to rescue a prisoner, winning is either too easy or pure luck: whoever gets the Windjammer/Treasure there first and happens to roll low on Paradis de la Mer's defenses wins. If I had more time to think about it, maybe I could make it more interesting, but instead I'll just go with something simpler I was considering last week.

First of the Cursed

After yet another long night of fiendish revelry, dastardly acts, and wagering of souls, the leaders of the Cursed Faction suddenly found themselves perplexed with a problem: who, exactly, was in charge? Oh, sure, Davy "Squidface" Jones looks pretty darned scary, but how many Cursed ships actually have enough points to even put him on board? And have you *seen* how many different copies there are of El Fantasma? "Mr. Xerox" could form his own marching band with all his duplicates. What about this Wraith guy, doesn't he know we already have a whole gaggle of Fantasmas? And Sammy the Skull... ok, the whole skeleton captain thing is pretty wicked awesome, I can't think of anything to pick on him about. Anyway, the various fiends split up, took to the high seas, and decided to settle things the old fashioned way... the Standard 40-Point Scenario!

Rules:

Standard 40-Point Treasure Running game, as per the rulebook.

* Only Cursed ships are allowed. Non-Cursed ships can be used if the Black Mark keyword is activated with an appropriate crew, switching the nationality of the ship to Cursed.

* Sea Creatures (including Krakens, Octopi, Titans, Sharks, etc.) from other nations are allowed, cuz the Cursed was totally doing the Sea Monster thing first, you lousy copycats.

* Non-Cursed crew are allowed if an ability allows them to work on a Cursed ship (Black Mark, Ex-Patriot, Tabatha/Cavendish, etc.).

* Zero point crew (Ransom, Jonah, etc.) are not allowed because none of them can be legally placed on a Cursed ship. There is one exception: they may be placed on a Titan of the appropriate nationality.

* Events, Equipment, Forts, and Mysterious Islands are allowed.

* Name your fleet: Name's Cursed Fleet

* Challenge ends Sunday evening, July 21.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote

mwuahahaha! Twisted Evil

This is my kinda challenge. It is no secret that I love the cursed. This is one of those kinds of things that you go in not caring if your fleet sinks or sails, because YOU GET TO PLAY THE CURSED!! Twisted Evil

Long Live Davy Jones!(not the Disney one)

-Drew
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote

just to give the heads up, my challenge fleet was posted down at the date of June, 19. Just wanted to make sure I was jugded, that;s all. Thanks.

-Drew
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote

cabinboy88 wrote:
just to give the heads up, my challenge fleet was posted down at the date of June, 19.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was hoping CaptainEd would get a chance to revise his fleet... I'm thinking about extending the Challenge a week, but I'm not sure we'd get any more entries.

Anyone else need more time?
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote

Give me another couple of days, if you can. I want revise my fleet, but haven't found the time yet.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Extending the challenge is fine with me. Maybe ziotoo4 will make it back from holiday in time to join in.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote

milbarber wrote:
Extending the challenge is fine with me. Maybe ziotoo4 will make it back from holiday in time to join in.

Ok, Challenge extended to Sunday July 27th.

There's a couple Cursed fleets I've been thinking about posting... not that they can win, but ideas I may not have seen yet.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote

Ok, I finally got my revised fleet posted. I'm not sure what happened, but there were a couple of days there where I couldn't reach the Armies section.

-Ed
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote

Ok... one of the things I wanted to see with this challenge was what would an ideal or optimal Cursed treasure runner fleet look like.

...and we discovered, yet again, that running treasure with the Cursed just *stinks*. I think their best treasure runner is the Grinder, with maybe the Sea Duck (which nobody used) 2nd best. I did see Black Mark getting some use, though... this fleet challenge may be the only example I've seen of anyone actually *using* Black Mark.

And the winner is... Milbarber!

Not only did he use a Sea Monster with Equipment, he also had two treasure runners: Grinder and Le Bon Marin + Snape.

Against CaptainEd's fleet, I felt milbarber would be outpacing the Sea Rat with both the Grinder and Le Bon Marin, and the Nightmare/Loa's Justice didn't really have a defense against Calim.

As for Cabinboy88's fleet, it was interesting to see Blackheart used on the Darkhawk II, and kudos for using Turtles. However, still only one treasure runner to milbarber's two, and then we have Calim vs. Raptor Maw. While Raptor Maw can get first blood via a Swoop Attack, Calim might be fast enough to move away or draw him into range of the Grinder. Calim also has Soul Mark, so Raptor Maw has to hit him fast before milbarber gets any gold home to counter the Swoop Attack via Parley. Assuming that first swoop attack hits... Calim gets to shoot back, and if Exploding Shot hits, he can run away and let the fire masts finish cooking his goose. In a straight-up fight... hmmm, I don't know, but I think I'm going to put my money on Calim.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote

Wow! I wasn't expecting a win. I'm just heading out on vacation tomorrow through August 11th, and I don't really have a challenge prepared. I've got a ton of stuff left to do. Sad

Would one of you all be willing to post the challenge this week? I won't be available to participate or judge until after the 11th. I apologize for shirking my duties as winner, but I don't think I could come up with a good challenge at this point.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote

milbarber wrote:

Would one of you all be willing to post the challenge this week? I won't be available to participate or judge until after the 11th. I apologize for shirking my duties as winner, but I don't think I could come up with a good challenge at this point.

Anyone have any ideas or want to suggest something?
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote

Well... It is Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. Maybe toy around with that?

-3C
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote

cabinboy88 wrote:

-3C

Darnit. I worked on this big long post about LAST MONSTER STANDING, lost it, wrote it up again, posted it (I thought), and now it disappeared... and colringbk has already posted another challenge. Grrr....

Guess it'll have to wait until next time...
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Wow! Sounds cool. Can't wait to see that challenge. I look forward to it.
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote

darrin wrote:
cabinboy88 wrote:

-3C

Darnit. I worked on this big long post about LAST MONSTER STANDING, lost it, wrote it up again, posted it (I thought), and now it disappeared... and colringbk has already posted another challenge. Grrr....

Guess it'll have to wait until next time...

Oops, sorry, I just wanted to get something up quick and simple. We could do a double challenge week, if you want,

Or we could cancel mine, I have no problem with that. let me know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: