FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Most prized pirate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleverpun
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote

Crusher and the Celtic Fury: two recent additions to my collection, and both were tricky to get.
I particularly like the Crusher because everyone either under or overestimates it.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote

HMS Titan for me - Got it in my first ever pack, card ES001 and has been in my fleet ever since!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: From the depths this comes!   PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote

Time for another thread unlock! Here's an easy one to reply to!

Quote:
I am curious what your most prized pirate item is..whether its because of rarity, value, playability or whatever other reason. For me i am going to have to go with Boachuan on this one. Probably the coolest looking 10 master, the first 10 mast ship, a convention exclusive, and its Jade Rebellion!

I would probably go with my HMS Lord Algernon . She was my most-wanted ship even back in 2005 I believe, and I was extremely happy to acquire her in 2011. I kind of shocked myself by pulling her out of her special box (which is just a Fairfield box with some other special stuff in it) and using her in Command the Oceans last year. Just a true beauty of a ship, and in my opinion the closest we got aesthetically to a ship like HMS Victory.

Close behind and in the same small box deep within my treasure chest: HMS Lord Walpole and HMS Birkenhead , the first two English ships I pulled and two of my sentimental favorites. Very special ships for me. Completing the quartet is La Magnifique , the first 5 master in my collection. (5 masters are my favorite ship type)
vixenishcoder66
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote

The HMS Lord Algernon is a recent addition to my collection and so far she has done well in my games. I would agree she is a excellent looking ship and a worthy prize.

For me it would have to be a tie between nostalgia and rarity. L'Aube was the first five master I opened and was also one of my best 5 masters for a long time. She is not only my most used 5 mast ship gameplay wise but also has the most kills out of all my ships. (most of these were from my very early days in the game when my collection was very small) Her domination in my early pirate days has left a long lasting connection to the French faction as a whole.

Tied with her would by my prized Chum Maker that I got from Wizkids while it was still mailing out SE ships. I can recall sending out the letter with all the game wrappers and receipts and then receiving the Chum Maker several weeks later. While there certainly are better ships her uniqueness and rarity will forever make her one of my most prized ships.
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote

I suppose with the incoming forum members we get here, I can justify telling why my Constitution is fairly well my favorite ship again. For whatever reason, early on, my brother and I ended up gravitating towards the British and American nations. My brother ended up pulling an HMS Endeavour and that put pressure on me to get the Constitution because I feared the Endeavor so much. I eventually got lucky in a Christmas pack of Revolution. So it's the immovable shield to my brother's unstoppable sword.

Beyond that, I have a few noteworthy ships. My Baochuan was a Christmas gift from my brother and my mother, which was really sweet. Darkhawk II was one of my first pulls, and a great one at that.
vetrarbreytin

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Funny anecdote to tell you. Of course, that was not my first opened pack nor my favourite one by the way since my heart belongs to El Garante but I remember when I opened my first packs of Fire&Steel. I had been offered a few packs (don't remember if it was two or three) of this set and I got exactly the same ones including : Silver Coffin , Tabitha McWarren & Skin Flayer . At that time, I was really young and my English level was ... well let's say "wasn't" since it didn't really exist Laughing and so I had been translated those cards by my brother and he had told me how super rare they seemed to be. They had that little piece of paper on which it was written that "you'd make your friends jealous for having these cards !". I was so glad. Today I can say that I've never used them in a game since I dislike Fire&Steel to be honest. Still, funny to remember that I got them in a row.
pirateaj14
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Because of nostalgia and the amazing skills it has, my most prized piece is the Enterprise . When I started collecting and playing, I got the ship in a small lot of Revolution ships and it has been my favorite ever since.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote

Honestly, it's probably my copy of Roanoke that I cherish most. Got her at a birthday party when I was 10, and is probably one of the oldest ships I still have.
captbeta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote

I have posted a picture of the Obago Deuce on my profile over at BGG. I tried to get it into the PotSM images but was declined. That prize completed my collection.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote

captbeta wrote:
I have posted a picture of the Obago Deuce on my profile over at BGG. I tried to get it into the PotSM images but was declined. That prize completed my collection.

No surprise about the decline. BGG image uploading is shoddy, random and quite frankly, almost insulting at times. Rolling Eyes

Incredible that you've got a complete collection though!
captbeta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote

I collected like a fiend while it was happening and rightly so as time has proven some items are impossible to find. The game has declined in popularity but that has not diminished the game for me.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote

captbeta wrote:
I collected like a fiend while it was happening and rightly so as time has proven some items are impossible to find. The game has declined in popularity but that has not diminished the game for me.

Indeed, I'm glad I got the bulk of my collection acquired from 2011-2014 before the current seller's market we've seen. Glad it hasn't diminished for you, unfortunately it has for others.... Sad

I appreciate all the love you've sent my way on my BGG uploads. Smile (didn't know it was you since usernames different) Always trying to stimulate things, somehow. Very Happy
captbeta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
captbeta wrote:

Indeed, I'm glad I got the bulk of my collection acquired from 2011-2014 before the current seller's market we've seen. Glad it hasn't diminished for you, unfortunately it has for others.... Sad

I appreciate all the love you've sent my way on my BGG uploads. Smile (didn't know it was you since usernames different) Always trying to stimulate things, somehow. Very Happy

Sure thing mate. I always enjoy seeing your jumble of battles and cool terrain. Maybe this game will come around again, maybe it won't. It would take another popular pirate movie to launch a resurgence.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote

captbeta wrote:
Sure thing mate. I always enjoy seeing your jumble of battles and cool terrain. Maybe this game will come around again, maybe it won't. It would take another popular pirate movie to launch a resurgence.

Well, OST and DMTNT made around 1.8 billion combined. So I don't really think it's that. It seems like Wizkids/NECA has moved on from the property (especially after the likely total failure of the card game) and didn't do anything about the DMTNT hype last year.

Pure $$$ would certainly help a lot, but until serious dough was behind a demand push, it's tough to seem them doing anything about it. (as in somebody/a company buying the rights away for a large sum, or NECA looking to test things themselves if a ton of demand for the game was obvious)
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
captbeta wrote:

No surprise about the decline. BGG image uploading is shoddy, random and quite frankly, almost insulting at times. Rolling Eyes
The GeekMod system (user voting) has plenty of issues and sometimes legitimate images do get declined for no reason, but if this is the one you tried to upload, it's understandable why it was declined.

The ripples in the plastic create a really bad glare that obscures half the card, and there's a lot of wasted space around it that could be cropped away. I haven't bothered with GeekMod in years, but if I was doing it and that picture came through, I personally would have declined it - even with knowing the significance of the card (which 99.99% of people using GeekMod wouldn't).

You'd have much better luck if you took it out of the plastic, laid it flat, avoided the glare, and cropped it so it looked something like this:

Granted, there's still the issue of it being a picture of an individual component, which they do seem to have clamped down on a lot more in recent years. A few years ago people would regularly be taking their favorite collectible or deck-building game and would upload individual photos of every single card. It got ridiculous.

TL/DR - Even if you "fixed" the photo, it probably wouldn't get through BGG's GeekMod. Your personally gallery there is a good place for it, though.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: