main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Ugliest official ships
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote

alanqsmithee wrote:
All I can think of when I look at the Abomination is "Aahh! Real Monsters."

When my brother looked at it. He said it looked cool.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote

benbatman wrote:
rizz wrote:
benbatman wrote:

Its not the ugliest its the most awesome.

My youngest son loves this ship, I will never understand why though. It is indeed ugly as sin.

I guess I can say this ship is ugly but still has the awesomness art work. I mean Eye balls.

I call it the ship that Tony Hawk designed.
rizz
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote

colringbk wrote:
benbatman wrote:
rizz wrote:

My youngest son loves this ship, I will never understand why though. It is indeed ugly as sin.

I guess I can say this ship is ugly but still has the awesomness art work. I mean Eye balls.

LOL, thats a good one. I will admit the ship has a style, and it can be a good ship to use, but I still think it is ugly as all get out.
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote

colringbk wrote:

Wow - you NAILED it!
flinxrap
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote

holofernes wrote:
colringbk wrote:

Wow - you NAILED it!

colringbk is probably the best critic here, being the art teacher he is. I wonder what grade he'd have given it?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote

It's hard to say. Because I do have to admit that it does show some nice drawing skills and the color emphases can be broken down into several area which is a creative thought. However I don't feel like the art works for a ship design. It doesn't flow well. Each mast and hull feels like they are their own artwork, which makes for a poor composition. I think it would have a stronger art design had the artist stuck with a strictly grotesque body part idea, or a ghastly ghoul (Oogie Boogie) for the whole thing rather than a discombobulation. It should have been called the Eclectic.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote

The Abomination reminds me of a bad anime cinema monster. All it needs is some tentacles and you'll have the bad guy in virtually any manga movie.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Back from the depths of the forum   PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Unlock!

Quote:
One from PotC that's always bugged me is the Dauntless. Great ship, and basically solid artwork, but so many small problems detract from it. Why does it only have one row of below-deck cannons and why are they all so impractically huge? (Nevermind that the five-masted ship is described as having only 50 guns.) Easily four times larger than the top-deck guns. There's no aft-cabin, just a faint quarter-circle painted on either side. The deck is strangely barren, no wheel or capstan or cargo or anything. The silver masts and spars are a nice touch, but that blue racing stripe on each one (and the middle one isn't even the same color) makes it look like they were going for a racecar effect.

Absolutely, it really doesn't make sense when they had clear visions on both the Dauntless and HMS Endeavour yet completely butchered both to a degree that is hard to understand. I think the Flying Dutchman was well done; the Black Pearl looks good overall but should only have one main gun deck and likely would have worked better as a 3 masted jib design.

Abomination is just that, an abomination! @Holofernes: Any chance you could contact the designer of the ship and let him know about our little community here? Smile

I must admit a lot of Cursed ships don't look very nice. Completely fine given their faction theme, but ick. XD

I think this serves as a good counter to Favorite artwork for ships and crew. Laughing
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote

As always Beauty is only skin deep... Ugly goes all the way to the bones and as with Beauty, Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote

xeriousone wrote:
Ugly goes all the way to the bones

Literally in the case of the Abomination! Laughing
wantkrakens

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:37 am Reply with quote

xeriousone wrote:
As always Beauty is only skin deep... Ugly goes all the way to the bones and as with Beauty, Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

True.

But what about with him? Skin Flayer

Everything with him is skin deep, so where does that leave us?
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote

wantkrakens wrote:
True.

But what about with him? Skin Flayer

Everything with him is skin deep, so where does that leave us?
Without skin. Time to make some pork scratchings.
pariah

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Abomination is easily the ugliest, most 90's-ridiculous thing out there. It just reminds me of skateboard punk art.
wantkrakens

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote

pariah wrote:
Abomination is easily the ugliest, most 90's-ridiculous thing out there. It just reminds me of skateboard punk art.

Agreed on the skateboard art

However I think your all wrong that it's the ugliest.

Would you all rather have yet another plan looking generic for mast square rigged? Of course you would.... why did I even ask.

This looks just like every other pirate four master, because they all look the same.

The individuality of the Abomination gives it a unique edge on anything else, if it were another standard looking ship, we wouldn't even talk about it.

The Cursed in general are easily the most unique faction ever, beating out even the Dutch. To hate on the abomination simply because of its uniqueness is to go against all 103 unique Cursed ships.

Did anyone think to hate the Baochaun when it came out, simply because it was a one of a kind ship type, unparalleled by anything we had seen before? No. We took it, and made it OP with 15 cargo spaces, spending hours making a perfect combination that would allow for such cargo.

And another thing: since we are here, the Guichaun is the best ten master. No doubt, doubt whatever you want. But at the end of the day you will be too scared to duel me on VASSAL and prove yourself. And this is the Guichaun wins many games before they are ever played.

They're four factions that are as a whole overpowered, overplayed, overhyped and simply annoying. They are:
English, Pirate, Spanish and American. Too many ships and crew, many of which are virtually identical. When you take away the big four, and stop leaning on OP and overused things you can come up with great stuff. The other day I saw a guy who did a 2500 point game without those four factions in use, at all. Very impressive

But alas, I forget it was the fantasy elements that killed the game. Surely wizkids would have done far better if they had just continued doing the exact same stuff, over and over and over....

They're are two factions: the Abomination and all it stands for, and the Cassandra with all it's plain looking and averagely powerful friends. Most have chosen the Cassandra.

A guy I saw playing a large game recently had perhaps the most points on the field at once, with a whopping 10739 points total! His game took up his entire basement and has four players right now. And do you know how many of those points are from the big four? Over 75%.... totally biased towards the little guys such as Delusion

I believe this proves that the Abomination is not ugly.

tell me if I'm wrong

Fear is overpriced

Sea monsters are unplayable

Sea dragons didn't get play tested

Veil homme is real
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote

I wondered when Abomination would make an appearance on this list, but wow, I could not have seen that response coming.

Personally, I adore the Abomination.. though I am happy to agree she suffers heavily from a style-shift. I would love to see a version of her designed by Wizkids artists, the better fit the fantasy part of the game. But given that she came from a contest, I love her for what she is. A fan with an awesome enough idea that it was included, despite being so far away from the traditional art style.

But I have to admit, I have mixed feeling about the same-y aesthetics. They worked, but it was limited. I'm amazed by the lime green ships we got from that era La Charlemagne but some of the alternatives are all over the place. I love Fool's Hope, she is memorable and fearsome to me. Wizkids, post-reboot, could take some extra liberties and have prettier ships. But Lady's Scorn is just such a bizarre color choice. I doesn't sit right with me. It looks like water, but it doesn't work for me... Despite being an awesome ship.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: