main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Wings of War as an added game

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Welcome! (including Forum Rules)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: Wings of War as an added game   PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote

I'm working on data to add Wings of War as a game to this site (since Lego Minifigures is here and its not even a game).

Can anyone tell me what nation the R.A.F. SE5a (Boudwin) is from shown below:

and this Breguet (Browning & Duke):
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote

The page for WoW Minis at BoardGameGeek should be helpful - quite a bit of the info is listed (scroll down to the "more information" section).

Both of those have the USA listed as their country.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote

I'm assuming you have plans to include the WWII minis eventually as well.

How detailed will you be getting with the information? Just the basic plane type, pilot, and country, or will you list the range/damage info and climb/altitude stats as well?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote

I think I'll have these as separate data fields:
Collector Number
Plane and Pilot
Country
Damage Deck
Movement Deck
Damage

I wanted to put the Plane and Pilot together in the same field to minimize confusion during trading. It should give more details so you know what Sopwith snipe you're trading for, for example.

Yes, I am also working on the WWII set. But, would you consider it in the same game set, or make a different Wings of War group for that. Perhaps I'll just specify with the set. Right now, I'm thinking the abbreviations for the sets will be WWI1, WWI2, so on and WWII1 and WWII2.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote

colringbk wrote:
Yes, I am also working on the WWII set. But, would you consider it in the same game set, or make a different Wings of War group for that. Perhaps I'll just specify with the set.
They do use a similar system of mechanics but really are separate (incompatible) games, so lumping them together would almost be like combining HeroClix and HorrorClix. Then again, the Wings of War series really doesn't need to have two completely separate sections here on the website either.

You probably are better off combining them under a single heading - maybe there's a good way to subdivide them from there.

Quote:
Right now, I'm thinking the abbreviations for the sets will be WWI1, WWI2, so on and WWII1 and WWII2.
I'd recommend adding a dash to split the game from the series, like WWI-1, WWI-2, WWII-1, and WWII-2.

WWI1 looks way too similar to WWII, and could cause confusion.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote

I have another question. On a WWII plane, I see the Green symbol/number represents Damage it can allow, the Blue is about the maneuver deck, but what is the Red? Is that the damage dealt? Is there something significant about the 2 symbols on top and the single symbol on the bottom?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote

colringbk wrote:
I have another question. On a WWII plane, I see the Green symbol/number represents Damage it can allow, the Blue is about the maneuver deck, but what is the Red? Is that the damage dealt? Is there something significant about the 2 symbols on top and the single symbol on the bottom?

I had to dig up a picture to see what you were referring to:

That red symbol on the left side of the base is just a cross-hair symbol (decorative only). Just to the right of that are the damage indicators - the top one shows the damage tokens to use when firing at close range and the lower is at long range. The measuring sticks that come with the game have a mark right in the center - if the target is closer than the mark it's short range, if it's beyond the mark (but within the range of the stick) it's long range. Most of the fighters do significantly more damage up close.

The P-39 even has special damage tokens just for the 37mm nose gun. At close range it's got enough kick to down some planes in a single shot, without getting the instant-kill token.

Just looking ahead a bit, Series 2 of the WWII minis adds planes from Fire from the Sky, which includes Stukas plus a few other dive-bombers with rear gunners. You'll need four lines of data for those since both their front and rear guns use that same dual-range setup. The one pictured below happens to do the same damage at all four positions, but I'd be really surprised if it ended up the same way for every plane.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote

If you can't find all of the damage info for the WWII minis, I could fill that in for you since I have most of the card versions (I'm relatively certain the minis duplicate pilots in the base game.)

Added: After comparing some lists at BGG, it appears that only most of the minis duplicate cards - there were a couple that appear to be "unique" to the minis.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Have you made any more progress on this, or did you give up on it?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote

I have not given up, just got distracted. I'll redouble my efforts, and with the prospect of a couple of snow days coming up, I should be able to get a bunch finished.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Welcome! (including Forum Rules) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: