main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
PotCS Adventure Book Game Scenarios
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_arrrrr_p

Canceled user

Subject: PotCS Adventure Book Game Scenarios   PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Anyone interested can read my post on page 64 of The eBay Thread regarding having purchased the Adventure Book prototype/thanking old_man for drawing it to my [and any other potentially interested parties'] attention/what Wikipedia has to say about this unreleased game format.

The following comes from the printed material in my prototype copy. I wish to share this information from an unreleased product with other fans here at MT, for their own enjoyment, but it is not my intent to ignore WizKids' copyright.

What would have been included with the Adventure Book, had it been released:
* 1 Pirate fleet including the Charming Mary, the Mercy, and the pirate Sean “Cannonball” Gallows
* 1 Cursed fleet including the Demon’s Heart, the Wraith, and the leader of the Cursed, El Fantasma
* 16 gold treasure coins
* 4 unique treasures: shards from the Eye of the Leviathan artifact
* 4 stories with associated game scenarios
* 1 map
* Quick-start rules [exact same version as from the last PotCS expansion]
* Complete Game rules [no new keywords nor any other new information]
* 8 bonus ships, crews, and treasure cards for advanced play

Each scenario begins with a short story set in the world of the Pirates of the Cursed Seas game, and is followed by an associated scenario. [The full short stories will not be reproduced here.]

To play a scenario, each player chooses a fleet: either the Cursed fleet or the Pirate fleet that comes with the Adventure Book. Each scenario has special rules that affect the basic rules found in the Quick-start and Complete Game rules. Setup explains how to get the scenarios started using the map, which might differ from setup as explained in the Complete Game rules. Special Rules provides rules unique to that scenario. Victory explains how to win the scenario, which also might vary from the normal rules. Finally, Expanding the Scenario gives you new ideas and ways to use your Pirates of the Cursed Seas PocketModels to play the scenario.

The four crystal shards from the artifact called the Eye of the Leviathan are unique treasures in the game that have different effects, depending on the scenario. Sometimes they have magical powers and sometimes they are just counters. Each scenario will describe how they are used.

“An Ill Wind” Scenario

With El Fantasma intent on gathering the four crystal shards known only as the Eye of the Leviathan, Sean “Cannonball” Gallows has discovered a map that hints to the location of the four shards of the Eye.

Setup
Use all the regular placement rules for this scenario with the following exception: Include all four shards (face down) in with the shuffled treasure before treasure placement. Then randomly distribute five coins to each island.

Special Rules
1. All ships gain the following ability: “This ship can dock at an enemy home island and load one treasure. If able, she must leave on your next turn.” The owner of the home island turns the coins face down and mixes them, and then his or her opponent chooses one randomly.
2. All treasure (including shards) on a ship that is sunk is put face down on the nearest wild island.
3. When one of your ships explores a wild island, you randomly choose treasure one at a time until your cargo hold is full – you do not get to look at all the treasure at once and choose which you want.
4. Once you load a treasure, it can be unloaded only at your home island. You can’t drop it off at a wild island in exchange for another treasure.
5. If one of your ships is sunk, she immediately reappears docked at your home island with no masts. She can be repaired as normal.
6. If one of the Eye of the Leviathan shards is found, place it face up on the ship’s deckplate. When you possess an Eye of the Leviathon shard (i.e., loaded on one of your ships or unloaded at your home island), it gives you a special power, described below; shard powers are cumulative.
· One shard: Each of your ships gets +1 to one cannon roll each turn.
· Two shards: The power of one shard PLUS your ships can move only [the symbol for Short movement].
· Three shards: The powers of two shards PLUS cannons in your fleet all have [the red die symbol for Long] range.
· Four shards: The powers of three shards PLUS it takes two hits from the same shoot action to eliminate a mast from your ships.

Victory
The winner is the first player to have both his or her ships docked at his or her home island while in possession of all four shards of the Eye of the Leviathan.

Expanding the Scenario
This scenario is easily played with the full Pirates of the Cursed Seas rules, using ships from your collection. To do so, after placing the islands, simply multiply the number of wild islands by 5 to get the number of gold treasure coins needed to play. Put that many treasure coins in a pile (including the four shard unique treasures and any other unique treasure you might want to use) before randomly distributing treasure to the wild islands.

[Three more scenarios to follow, as I have time to transcribe/share them here.]

Very Happy J.

Last edited by j_arrrrr_p on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote

Congratz on the win, and thanks for sharing!

Maybe someday a scanned PDF will make its way onto the web from some other source, I know a lot of people would love to have one and make mockups of the ships and cards.

P.S. I don't suppose images of the ships and crew, or stats for them, are in your copy? That would be just TOO awesome... Twisted Evil
j_arrrrr_p

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote

holofernes wrote:

P.S. I don't suppose images of the ships and crew, or stats for them, are in your copy? That would be just TOO awesome... Twisted Evil

Alas, no - the closest to this are small images of the blue, green, red, and yellow Eye of the Leviathan shards, embedded in text from the Special Rules section of the third game scenario. They resemble colored quartz crystals. Text states that a treasure coin associated with one of the shard unique treasures would have its gold value printed in that shard's color. [Much like Silver Explorer cards.]

The rest remains a mystery!

Lol, maybe I should hold a contest a la the Castigue and Blue Heron, to create a fan set of the missing, exclusive Adventure Book ships & crew...???
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote

Hey that would be cool! Voting for the different stats wow that will be awesome! You can count me in to vote and come up with an entry!
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote

j_arrrrr_p wrote:
Mystery solved! Wink

B001 - Demon's Heart
15 Points
Cursed
Masts: 5
Cargo: 4
Base Move: L
Cannons: 3S-3S-3S-3S-3S
Link: El Fantasma

If this ship wins a boarding party, she can take as much treasure from the other ship as she can carry.

Sailors the world over refuse to say this ship's name, for fear of summoning El Fantasma to their decks.

B002 - Wraith
7 Points
Cursed
Masts: 1
Cargo: 2
Base Move: S+L
Cannons: 3L
Link: El Fantasma

If this ship has a crew with the Captain keyword, she gets +1 to her cannon rolls.

El Fantasma uses the Wraith to remind every nation that his dominion over the seas is beyond challenge.

B003 - El Fantasma
Cursed
3 Points
Link: Demon's Heart, Wraith

Captain, Loyal: Cursed

El Fantasma knows that there are secrets that the ancient gods have hidden and that few would risk to obtain. He alone intends to discover and unleash those secrets - and then watch as all of humanity bows before him.

B004 - Charming Mary
15 Points
Pirate
Masts: 5
Cargo: 4
Cannons: 3L-3L-3L-3L-3L
Link: "Cannonball" Gallows

Once per turn, you can reroll any die roll you make for this ship; you must use the second die roll result.

When "Cannonball" Gallows stumbled across the Charming Mary while she was docked in Havana, he knew two things for certain: He had to have her and her rum.

B005 - Mercy
7 Points
Pirate
Masts: 1
Cargo: 3
Cannons: 3L
Link: "Cannonball" Gallows

This ship can unload cargo at your home island if she's within S of it.

Attacked as a distraction while Gallows stole the Charming Mary, the Mercy ended up part of "Cannonball's" fleet as a bonus.

B006 - Sean "Cannonball" Gallows
Pirate
3 Points
Link: Charming Mary, Mercy

Captain, Loyal: Pirate

War looms between England and France, and even the Pirates are choosing sides. El Fantasma seems to grow stronger and the seas more dangerous. Yet "Cannonball" knows that right now there is nothing he'd rather do than be a freedom-loving Pirate.

B007 - Eye of the Leviathan
Gem Shard (Red)
Gem Shard (Blue)
1 (Red)
1 (Blue)
2 (Yellow)
2 (Green)
3 (Blue)
4 (Green)
5 (Red)
6 (Yellow)

B008 - Eye of the Leviathan
Gem Shard (Green)
Gem Shard (Yellow)
1 (Green)
2 (Blue)
3 (Yellow)
3 (Red)
4 (Yellow)
4 (Red)
5 (Blue)
6 (Green)
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote

Thanks for (finally) sharing, Woelf! Much Appreciated!
j_arrrrr_p

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
j_arrrrr_p wrote:
Mystery solved! Wink

'Scuse me a minute here while I pick my jaw up off the floor...

[The pirate known as Sea Tigress whips off her feathered hat and executes a deep bow to Woelf. She invites him to partake of some New Glarus beer - uh, that is, a mug o' grog. Wink]

Without asking for the source(s) to be revealed, woelf, can these stats/flavor text/etc. be considered actual WizKids PotCS canon?

THANK YOU!!!!!
This is SO WONDERFUL!!!!!
Very Happy J.
P.S. I had a little prize in mind for the stats contest; will be popping it in the mail to you.
P.P.S. mathias01, so no contest needed after all. But, I will run a poll at the end of having posted all four AB game scenarios. You & other MT users will be able to cast a vote for which would be the "most fun" to play.
j_arrrrr_p

Canceled user

Subject: Second Game Scenario   PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote

“Straits of Chaos” Scenario
As “Cannonball” Gallows attempts to map the Straits of Chaos and earn some coin for doing so, El Fantasma wants to secure his hidden alcoves and islands against the coming war. Who will survive?

Setup
Use all the regular placement rules for this scenario, with the following addition: Instead of distributing treasure, take gold tokens 1-6. Then turn them face down and shuffle them. Then put one on each island, still face down. These are not treasures, but counters that cannot be loaded onto a ship.
Roll to see who goes first. The player with the lower roll puts his or her ships on any corner of the map. Then the player with the higher roll puts his or her ships on a different corner.
Reveal the treasures so that the numbers now face up.

Special Rules
1. You must dock at all islands in order, from 1 to 6, and you must use an explore action to explore each of them.
2. Only one of your ships needs to explore a[n] island before you can move on to the next one.
3. If one of your ships is sunk, she immediately reappears docked at the last island she explored, with no masts. She can be repaired there as normal.

Victory
The winner is the first player to explore all six islands and have both of his or her ships completely move off any edge of the map.

Expanding the Scenario
This scenario can be expanded to four players. Make sure all ships have the same starting base move. Each player starts in a different corner. Crew are optional.
Alternately, you can play without a map, which allows you to have any number of islands that do not have to follow the guidelines for island placement described in the Complete Rules. Any ships and crew can be used in this version as long as both fleets have the same build total. In a game without a map, you must indicate what the start and finish areas are for all players before placing your ships.
j_arrrrr_p

Canceled user

Subject: Third Game Scenario   PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote

“The Price of Power” Scenario
El Fantasma’s goal is simple: Manipulate all the mystical artifacts he can to control the seas. To that end, he hunts down every rumor of magic and performs rituals involving the shards. “Cannonball” Gallows, on the other hand, just needs to hide his gold. His bad habit of losing ships means losing his hard-earned goods. So he decided to distribute his wealth among several convenient islands so he always has a little gold available when he needs it.

Setup
Use all regular placement rules for this scenario. Once home islands are chosen, put the four Eye of the Leviathan shards off to the side, and shuffle them. Then put one on each wild island, still face down.
Mix the sixteen remaining treasures face down and divide them so that each player has eight gold tokens. Put them face up on their home islands. (For Gallows, this represents the booty he wishes to hide. For El Fantasma, these are the rituals he wishes to perform.)
Reveal the Eye of the Leviathan gem shards.
Note: The crystals have no power associated with them in this scenario; they are only counters.

Special Rules
1. Each gem shard is a color [embedded here in the text are small images of the blue, green, red, and yellow shards, which look like colored quartz crystals] and each treasure coin has a gold value printed in one of these colors. Each treasure coin on your home island must be unloaded on the island with the same color gem shard.
2. If one of your ships is sunk, she immediately reappears docked at your home island with no masts. She can be repaired as normal.
3. If a ship is sunk with gold on her, that gold reappears on your home island.
4. You can unload only a single piece of gold per explore action.
5. Loading gold onto your ships from your home island can be done as a free action as soon as you dock.

Victory
The first player to get all of his or her gold tokens onto the wild islands and have both of his or her ships docked at his or her home island is the winner.

Expanding the Scenario
For a longer game, add more gold, islands, or players. If you are using gold from other Pirates of the Cursed Seas sets, you might want to mark them in some way. Alternately, the scenario could also be played by numbering the islands and using only gold that matches those numbers. For a shorter game, reduce the number of gold tokens, or reduce the fleet size.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote

You're welcome. Smile
j_arrrrr_p wrote:
Without asking for the source(s) to be revealed, woelf, can these stats/flavor text/etc. be considered actual WizKids PotCS canon?
The source was the lead designer of the game, since I was helping her out with a lot of the design stuff for the final few sets, including this book. If the copy you got includes the credits page, you should see my name listed somewhere.

So, unless something was tweaked at the last minute (which did happen occasionally with other sets) these should be WK "canon".

If anything would have changed I'd think it would be one or both of the single masted ships, since that base move disparity makes them a little unbalanced in the more race-oriented scenarios. Including other ships and crew would make it a non-issue, but if you're playing with only the stuff in the book it's slanted slightly in favor of El Fantasma's side.
j_arrrrr_p

Canceled user

Subject: Fourth/Final Game Scenario   PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote

“The Greatest Prize” Scenario
If “Cannonball” Gallows has stumbled upon a quest of mythical proportions…how far behind can El Fantasma be?

Setup
Use all the regular placement rules for this scenario, with the following exception: Use only gold coins for treasure.

Special Rules
1. All ships gain the following ability: “This ship can dock at an enemy home island and load one treasure. If able, she must leave on your next turn." The owner of the home island turns the coins face down and mixes them, and then his or her opponent chooses one randomly.
2. When one of your ships explores a wild island, you randomly choose treasure one at a time until your cargo hold is full – you do not get to look at all the treasure at once and choose which you want.
3. You can drop only a single piece of gold per explore action on a wild island. At your home island unloading treasure is a free action. Place all treasure on your home island face up.
4. If one of your ships is sunk, she immediately reappears docked at your home island with no masts. She may be repaired as normal.
5. All treasure on a ship that is sunk is put face down on the nearest wild island.

Victory
The winner is the first player to have gold coins with values 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on his or her home island with both ships docked there.
Note: Coins are turned face up when unloaded.

Expanding the Scenario
For a longer game add more gold, islands, or players. Any ships and crew from any Pirates of the Cursed Seas expansion can be used as long as all fleets have the same build total.

[Okay, "that's it!" Wink J.]
j_arrrrr_p

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
If the copy you got includes the credits page, you should see my name listed somewhere.

Yes indeed, there it is: You were credited as Online Support and First Mate!

Just when we think you COULDN'T POSSIBLY get any cooler, woelf...

Laughing
j_arrrrr_p

Canceled user

Subject: Polls are open   PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote

FYI: A poll is up on a new thread for people to select which of the four Adventure Book game scenarios is THE BEST, i.e. the one they'd most want to play.

GO VOTE!!!!!

Razz
dholub1
Expert
Expert

Subject: Congrats and Thanks   PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote

J_arrrrr_p,

Congrats on your victory. I was among some who did indeed bid on this very item. Upon further review, I saw the question being asked of the seller and got a little "spooked" about bidding further in spite of knowing that some good would come from the purchase, i.e. new rules, game scenarios and the like.

Thanks for taking the time to post ALL of it. No doubt I would have been hard pressed to make some time for our community here at MT to do what you have done.

Woelf, as always, fills in the "missing links" very well...thanks Woelf.

Respectfully Submitted,
dholub1
Cool
j_arrrrr_p

Canceled user

Subject: Well worthwhile   PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Such kind words, dholub1! Embarassed

MT users like yourself who have made this site really enjoyable for me are definitely "worth giving back to."

And yeah, woelf's input...
"WOW!!!"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: