FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Battle Reports
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote

The game was finally finished up today. The Endeavour started the final battle by sinking the captured HMS Hyena, officially knocking the French out of the game.

Now it was just the English and the Spanish. The iceberg that took out the Acorazado hit the Santa Isabel, taking out her final mast. The next ship in line was the Argo, a two masted treasure runner. She was no match for HMS Leicester, but the Santo Columba was third in the Spanish line. Now the Spaniards' best ship, she acted as a flagship for this battle to the death. The Argo started towing the Isabel before she was dismasted, creating a physical block to gain the lagging Spanish ships some extra time before the rest of the English fleet was upon them.

As the Endeavour sailed along as the easternmost English ship, the westerly ships came into action. The Heros and damaged Nautilus were first, followed by the Alexandria, towing the Tower. L'Heros took out a mast on the Santo Columba before having one of her own masts taken out. Before the Nautilus and Alexandria could do any damage, the Spaniards' second-best ship, El Leon, sailed into the fray. Guns blazing, she took out a mast on the Heros and a mast on the Nautilus. She finished her attack by ramming the Nautilus to take out her last mast. This was a great effort by the Spanish, but they simply lacked the firepower to compete with the English. The Alexandria used a double action provided by Beckett to move-and-shoot twice, dismasting the Leon and pulverizing the San Pedro. Then the Leicester came around the iceberg and raked both the Concepcion and the San Pedro, dismasting both ships.

At this point, the battle was tipped heavily in favour of the English, but they still had to finish strong. The Santo Columba moved away from the Heros to take on the Grand Temple, who was missing her two short range guns from the earlier battle against the French, which now seemed like ancient history. However, the Temple prevailed in this fight, crushing the Spanish flagship. Meanwhile, the smaller English ships, Antelope and Alexander, captured both the Argo and the Santa Isabel.

Here you can see the battle in an early stage. The Endeavour (upper left) has just sunk the Hyena, while the English have gone around the obstacle created by the Argo and the Santa Isabel. The Santo Columba duels the Heros, while the Leon attacks the Nautilus. In the upper right corner, you can make out the hull of the Alquimista, the last Spanish ship to enter the battle.

With that, only the two remaining native canoes and the Alquimista remained. The canoes were quickly demolished by the Heros and Alexander, while the Endeavour moved south to take on the Alquimista. This final Spanish ship was only moving S because she had the captured American windcatcher, Ghost Walker, in tow. The Alquimista was hoping to make up for her lack of a captain by using the Ghost Walker's built-in canceller to cancel an enemy captain, thereby gaining the upper hand. The problem was, the Ghost Walker was behind the length of the ship, and she had hulks of derelict Pirate ships on either side of her, preventing her from maneuvering in such a way that would let her get the canceller into a good position. The Endeavour sailed up and raked her by the bows, sending all three masts into the ocean to seal a hard-fought victory for the English!

Victory at last! The English have captured or dismasted every Spanish ship, with the Endeavour finishing off the Alquimista to end the game (you can see the Ghost Walker, but not the Alquimista, as she's dwarfed by the English five master).

A similar view looking southeast, with the Grand Temple having finished off the Santo Columba in the foreground.

As they had the highest number of points at the peak of the game, and they were the last fleet afloat, the English won the game on both fronts. It wasn't easy, however, and it was rather close. They didn't dominate like they occasionally have in the past. Coming in second was the Spanish, who played a brilliant game. They may have won if not for their anxiousness to get into a dual-conflict, as well as their behemoth flagship (who would have required 25 hits just to dismast Surprised) being sunk by a UT combo. The Pirates finished third in the point count, and were the third fleet eliminated. The Cursed came in fourth, with a well-played initial game that fell victim to the power of the Royal Navy. In fifth, the Americans were actually the first fleet eliminated, but they certainly played a better game than the French. With a good mix of aggression and treasure running, they almost became the only faction to have four colonies, but therefore had spread themselves a bit too thin. They were unfortunate to have two of the strongest factions in the game, the Spanish and the Pirates, attack them from the north and south, respectively. With a slightly different game and better luck, they could have finished at least two spots higher. Although they were the third-to-last fleet remaining, the French finished dead last in the point count and had problems throughout the game. The English were a tough adversary to have early on in the game, but the French made mistakes in choosing a home island that was right in the heart of the frozen north (losing 4 or 5 masts to icebergs in the early going), and the fact that they were too timid going about their empirical desires.

This was a good game, and I definitely like the scenario that Sariouriel created. It is very long and time-consuming, but I would recommend it if you like big games. I still wish I could have finished it the proper way by playing it out, but who knows how long that would take. Maybe someday I'll play it again and have the time to finish it. Three weeks later, and there is finally a winner to the Century of the Empires game! Very Happy

Last edited by a7xfanben on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
nematode66

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulations a7xfanben! Smile It looks like a great adaptation for a longer lasting and more realistic game. I have always liked the idea of being able to buy ships with gold and this seems like a good implementation of the system. The fact that all ships take two hits per mast allows for more creativity and strategy with less risk, which is probably ideal for a slower-paced long-lasting game. You did a great job documenting all 40+ turns and presenting them in a way that isn't entirely cut and dried. I will have to try out this Century of the Empires game at some point myself!
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote

I'm moving to Los Angeles, CA, in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to have to make a few friends and introduce them to Pirates before I can really do much with battle reports. But, fantastic report a7xfanben! I'm looking forward to the day I can give this campaign a try!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote

nematode66 wrote:
Wow! Congratulations a7xfanben! Smile It looks like a great adaptation for a longer lasting and more realistic game. I have always liked the idea of being able to buy ships with gold and this seems like a good implementation of the system. The fact that all ships take two hits per mast allows for more creativity and strategy with less risk, which is probably ideal for a slower-paced long-lasting game. You did a great job documenting all 40+ turns and presenting them in a way that isn't entirely cut and dried. I will have to try out this Century of the Empires game at some point myself!

Thanks! I forgot to mention that it ended up taking a total of 62 turns. As for the battle report, I feel that the pictures made this one of my best battle reports I've done. Maybe not my personal favourite (since the one at Pojo has a lot of good ones), but it was good to document how things went visually.

captain_vendari wrote:
I'm moving to Los Angeles, CA, in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to have to make a few friends and introduce them to Pirates before I can really do much with battle reports. But, fantastic report a7xfanben! I'm looking forward to the day I can give this campaign a try!

Thanks again. For anyone looking to try this game, I would seriously recommend that you set aside the time necessary for it. It's not your regular "game night" 2 hour 40 point game. It's an epic game that could be almost infinite in length. I didn't realize how long it would be, or else I would have waited until a few weeks from now (when I don't have as much going on) to start it. However, it was still quite fun and entertaining. Hopefully someday I'll be able to do it true justice. Thanks again to Sariouriel for the chance to play this beast of a game.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Thanks again. For anyone looking to try this game, I would seriously recommend that you set aside the time necessary for it. It's not your regular "game night" 2 hour 40 point game. It's an epic game that could be almost infinite in length. I didn't realize how long it would be, or else I would have waited until a few weeks from now (when I don't have as much going on) to start it. However, it was still quite fun and entertaining. Hopefully someday I'll be able to do it true justice. Thanks again to Sariouriel for the chance to play this beast of a game.

I definitely like to play a longer game, but for those who don't have weeks on end to play a forever long game like this, might I recommend my personal Campaign Ruleset here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/49265/pirates-of-the-cursed-seas-campaign
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote

I know how much a7 loves this thread so I'd better haul it up from the depths and unlock it. Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
I know how much a7 loves this thread so I'd better haul it up from the depths and unlock it. Very Happy

Hahaha that just about makes my night!! Very Happy

Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to play lately... don't really know when I'll get to again. By the end of the year hopefully, but maybe sooner.

Other members should do reports (even short ones) when they play!
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote

Next week I'm playing a booster draft game using packs from Pirates of the Mysterious Islands against one of my friends on Monday. I'll post the battle report then.

For those who are curious about how I play booster drafts, the rules are as follows:

1. Each player gets three packs.
2. Players may use only pieces they get in their packs to build their fleets.
3. Crew do not have to match the nationality of the ship to which they are assigned. Their nationality changes to that of the ship to which it is originally assigned for the duration of the game. Crew who start the game on a home island keep their original nationality (to prevent "tool boxing").
4. Keywords such as Hostile and Loyal are ignored.
5. Only unique treasure pulled from the packs can be used in the treasure pool.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
Next week I'm playing a booster draft game using packs from Pirates of the Mysterious Islands against one of my friends on Monday. I'll post the battle report then.

Sounds awesome! I've never done that-another game to try sometime. I don't usually leave packs I've bought unopened, however.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
captain_vendari wrote:

Sounds awesome! I've never done that-another game to try sometime. I don't usually leave packs I've bought unopened, however.

I can understand why; I bought a box of 18 packs; I've been dying to open these last six. (the first 12 were opened for other booster drafts previously, but I don't remember too much of what happened in the games).
ahoy_scott
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Neat thread! Don't know how I never saw it before. This is what I am looking to do with my game ... but, as has been indicated, it's pretty much an event all its own, not a "regular" game night session. Waiting for the right opportunity to get my version of this game on.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote

ahoy_scott wrote:
Neat thread! Don't know how I never saw it before. This is what I am looking to do with my game ... but, as has been indicated, it's pretty much an event all its own, not a "regular" game night session. Waiting for the right opportunity to get my version of this game on.

Thanks! Always love to hear that someone is willing to play big games like me! Let us know how it goes if you partake in such a grand endeavour.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: New endeavours   PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote

I should be able to get my stuff out again sometime soon, most likely before Christmas or a day or two after. There won't be anything huge this time around, but I may try out some fleets I haven't playtested, and possibly do a scenario or two, we'll see. The one definite thing that I'm planning is a reenactment of the Moonlight Battle, to take place on January 16th for its anniversary!
crebostar
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote

Epic thread a7.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote

crebostar wrote:
Epic thread a7x.

Yeah thanks! The original has much more if you're interested. No pics, but I think I wrote somewhat better reports (in some cases, not in others) for some of the past games than I did for this one. Sometimes you just have more time to write them, sometimes I remember more, and sometimes the games are better Cool . The historical fantasy scenario where the Franco-Spanish faced the Pirates (7-29-2011) and the first 500 point game (starting on 8-06-2011) are my personal favourites, but the Risk game (on the second page of the thread) will always be a classic. More recently, the tournament and ensuing battles involving many super-fleets (2-19-2013 through 3-10-2013) was quite interesting in terms of seeing what fleets are actually the best ever. And of course, CotE (Century of the Empires) was fantastic as well.

I'm glad that other people appreciate the thread and my reports, but I still feel a little bit unsatisfied. I want to do things with this game that are completely unprecedented. The problem is that it would take ridiculous amounts of ever-scarce TIME. You practically have to be a 10-year-old or retired to do the massive games that I eventually want to do!

As always, everybody is welcome to post their reports here when they play! I still feel that the one thing this community is lacking is experience. We talk and theorize and create fleets we know we'll never use. That's almost as sad as seeing it being out of production. This game was created to make people want to play it so that Wizkids would make money. Now that Wizkids is gone and not making money from it anymore, the only thing left to do is PLAY! Laughing Dust off your cutlass and run out the guns!

Haha, this is just my rant at the end of one of the longest nights of Pirates CSG I have participated in. I think I've gotten over 50 merit points today, not to mention padding my post count. For at least a moment I own the last response in the most recent 7 threads! The night a7xfanben and lord_denton dominated the Pirates forum and fleets.

PS: lord_denton, if you're still around, thanks for a good night of pirating! I probably forgot something so I might be back, but if not, have a good night!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 2 of 42

Jump to: