Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Hall of Fame Voting #6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Hall of Fame Voting #6   PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote

OOPS! Embarassed I forgot to release the new voting thread at the start of the month.

old_man has been inducted into the Pirates CSG Hall of Fame by a 5-0 vote!

The current Hall of Fame:
Woelf
A7XfanBen
Cadet-Captain Mike
Holofernes
Old_Man

Time for the next induction!

Quote:
Each month, everyone can post their vote in the corresponding thread. Vote for one person per "induction". The person with the most votes gets to be inducted into the Pirates CSG Hall of Fame. If there is a tie, we can have a poll to decide which member gets in. These people can be anyone in the Pirates CSG community. This includes members who are no longer active here at Miniature Trading, and also members from other Pirates CSG sites. (I would say that people who worked on the game (designers, artists, etc) would be exempt because they'd all be such automatic shoo-ins heh) Feel free to explain why you voted for the person. You cannot vote for yourself (no Brethren Court shenanigans XD).

VOTE!

I think this total of a half-dozen works well as the "inaugural" class of sorts, but I'll make a poll about the frequency.
wantkrakens
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Hall of Fame Voting #6   PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
OOPS! Embarassed I forgot to release the new voting thread at the start of the month.

old_man has been inducted into the Pirates CSG Hall of Fame by a 5-0 vote!

The current Hall of Fame:
Woelf
A7XfanBen
Cadet-Captain Mike
Holofernes
Old_Man

Time for the next induction!

Quote:
Each month, everyone can post their vote in the corresponding thread. Vote for one person per "induction". The person with the most votes gets to be inducted into the Pirates CSG Hall of Fame. If there is a tie, we can have a poll to decide which member gets in. These people can be anyone in the Pirates CSG community. This includes members who are no longer active here at Miniature Trading, and also members from other Pirates CSG sites. (I would say that people who worked on the game (designers, artists, etc) would be exempt because they'd all be such automatic shoo-ins heh) Feel free to explain why you voted for the person. You cannot vote for yourself (no Brethren Court shenanigans XD).

VOTE!

I think this total of a half-dozen works well as the "inaugural" class of sorts, but I'll make a poll about the frequency.

I need time to ponder this, with most the shoe-ins already being inducted.

Give me a few days, than we see what I'm thinking.

Maybe a long since forgotten member? A man who shaped the forum

Who's deeds of '09 won't soon be forgotten by the community...
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Tough decision this time!   PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote

This has been the hardest vote for me so far. In a very tough decision and close "personal vote" if you will, I have decided to cast my vote for Xerecs. He narrowly beats out two other fantastic candidates, Rizz and lordstu.

Xerecs has been a consistently productive member of the community since joining MT in 2014 (coming up on his 4 year anniversary). He currently sits at 55 fleets and 5 MR's submitted, and I've had good trading experiences with him. However, his real strength lies in straight-up PLAYING and everything to do with it, which I inevitably value highly since Pirates CSG is now first and foremost a game rather than just a product. He has played 6 full campaign games not including the unfinished 2017 Campaign and VASSAL CG3 (so basically EIGHT (winning 2 I believe), not including "proto" games and older adventues).

Directly related to playing experience, he is arguably our current most-active custom creator, with 2 full sets (one of which is even in physical form!) and innumerable posts in Custom Ships.

Xerecs has also appeared on 3 podcast episodes so far, created a youtube channel with CG-related videos, and has various other long-term projects in the works.

He has also displayed a high level of sportsmanship that I admittedly would not be able to match had I been in the same position on the losing side in VASSAL Campaign Games 1 and 2. He has been an absolute pleasure to play Pirates with over the past 2 years, and we look forward to many more games together. As my personal life and living location continues to be in some state of flux, he is my most consistent play partner I've had, which I am very grateful for. He has nearly 100 games played on VASSAL, and is directly responsible for at least 3 other pirates out in California (2 brothers + friend).

I'm sure I'm missing something but that is my argument for Xerecs. However, like I said it was a very close decision.

Rizz has been one of the most helpful community members for many years. He has submitted various documents and uploaded useful files to BGG, including some ship and crew card blanks. He had one of the most entertaining Pirate websites, the Corsairs of Douglas County, until it was taken down around a couple years ago. He did a lot of trades "back in the day" and has various other contributions to the community. (including over 1,000 posts and 16 pages of fleet/MR comments)

lordstu is unfortunately not around anymore, which I did factor into my vote. However, he (I think) held the record for most fleets submitted for a while, at 81 (not to mention 20 Miniature Reviews). What struck me about him was just how engaging nearly all of his posts were. He probably rates highly on the all-time "words per post" if there was such a metric recorded, since many of his posts were very deep into the heart of the game and specific to a degree hardly seen since. I think I'd say he is the deactivated member that I miss most. You can still see his ridiculous contributions to the fleets and MR sections, with nearly 50 pages of comments. Shocked (I am at 41 pages for reference with more years of commenting, so the volume he did was likely unprecedented (Woelf at 55 pages but over the course of 8 years instead of about 4 for lordstu's 49 pages). I counted 20 responses to a page in that search, which means lordstu has almost 1,000 comments on fleets and MR's alone!

Looking forward to more votes coming in!
wantkrakens
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote

I vote for a very special member of the forum, one who has something even I am still looking for- Obago Duece.

Krakens vote is for:

dholub1
pirateaj14
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote

I will second you and my vote is for xerecs! @a7xfanben, Your argument was very convincing and I would agree with everything you mentioned.
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote

My vote's for Xerecs. He was rather helpful (and extremely patient with my questions) in the setup for the team fleet challenge.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote

I haven't really chimed in in these hall of fame votes given my inactivity but I wanted to add something to consider.

Shouldn't the fact that some of these candidates are not around make them a better contender?

Nothing against the people you voted in so far, or Xerecs, but Hall of Fames are supposed to honor those that are done playing, or this case done leaving their mark on the game or this forum.

If I voted, it would 100% be for LordStu. Like Ben said, his comments, guidance, armies (BIg-8 Ship series was very helpful for a newbie) was just awesome.

Anyway, just something to consider.
wantkrakens
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote

[quote="volt"]I haven't really chimed in in these hall of fame votes given my inactivity but I wanted to add something to consider.

Shouldn't the fact that some of these candidates are not around make them a better contender?

Nothing against the people you voted in so far, or Xerecs, but Hall of Fames are supposed to honor those that are done playing, or this case done leaving their mark on the game or this forum.

If I voted, it would 100% be for LordStu. Like Ben said, his comments, guidance, armies (BIg-8 Ship series was very helpful for a newbie) was just awesome.

Anyway, just something to consider.
Quote:

I agree will all of this. You can't induct someone into any hall of fame if they are still playing or doing whatever the hall of fame honors.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Tony Vigil, AKA "Piranha"
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote

wantkrakens wrote:
I agree will all of this. You can't induct someone into any hall of fame if they are still playing or doing whatever the hall of fame honors.

Gotta say this makes absolutely no sense to me. Pirates CSG is NOT a SPORT. Why would we reward people who have lost interest in something that used to be a hobby of theirs? In sports the body ages and inevitably people have to retire. Not here. There is no grand "retirement". This game needs all the attention and love it can get, so when people leave the community and their account gets disabled, that hurts the game and the community if anything. Would any of you really respect Woelf or myself more if we just randomly disappeared? No, the community would suffer and our legacies would be worse off.

The people who are the most deserving (the best members of the community) should get in. That has happened so far and putting in someone whose account has long been inactive like captain_nemo (no offense to them) before Woelf would be silly.

@Woelf: Your vote makes a lot of sense, and I wish I had been around for the earlier days when the WK forum was still around. I think voting for whoever did most of the database updating here at MT (colringbk? and possibly algorab) would be another good candidate too. Perhaps I am too biased towards current members, but I cannot help that due to wanting to keep the game alive.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote

Does putting someone in this really act as an incentive ("reward" as you put it) and keep them in the game? If that were true, then I see your point, but I think that is counterintuitive. Adding Woelf (or any active member) will not change how he views this game, or how often he visits these forums, or if he has to, step away from this forum.

And no, you if you left tomorrow, your legacy would not be tarnished, and I don't understand why you would think that. People leave this game because of many reasons, and I don't hold them moving on with life (ie marriage, kids, moving, different job) as something that diminishes what they contributed here. They if anything did exactly what you are rewarding here - they kept the game alive then.
wantkrakens
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote

volt wrote:
Does putting someone in this really act as an incentive ("reward" as you put it) and keep them in the game? If that were true, then I see your point, but I think that is counterintuitive. Adding Woelf (or any active member) will not change how he views this game, or how often he visits these forums, or if he has to, step away from this forum.

And no, you if you left tomorrow, your legacy would not be tarnished, and I don't understand why you would think that. People leave this game because of many reasons, and I don't hold them moving on with life (ie marriage, kids, moving, different job) as something that diminishes what they contributed here. They if anything did exactly what you are rewarding here - they kept the game alive then.

Agreed!
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote

Congrats Old_Man! Well Deserved for the stories and information you've provided over the years alone. You were a most worthy "adversary" on the way to collecting one of everything, and we had fun in the process.

As for Halls of Fame...
to me, they're about those who contributed memorably to whatever organization keeps the Hall. Heroes (and sometimes villains), promoters and memorable participants are all fair game... it can really be about whatever it wants to be. Whether someone's still playing (or even alive) matters not to me if the stories are good, and we've had many good stories, tragedies and triumphs to share over these little bits of Piratical plastic/styrene/whatever.

So here's to fun, and here's to a great community! *Holofernes tips his hat, spins around once, and falls back into the sea, sinking below the waves with a gassy belch and one mad eye*
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:24 am Reply with quote

Congratulations to Xerecs! He has been inducted into the Pirates CSG Hall of Fame by a 3-1-1-1 vote!

From the poll thread I think we'll not have another induction process until the end of this year. (that option essentially has 4 votes with pirateaj14's vote included)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: