Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Strategy/Gamplay discussion thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Strategy/Gamplay discussion thread   PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:16 am Reply with quote

Once again, I didn't know where to post this. I guess we usually talk gameplay strategy in the various fleet challenge threads and whenever it happens to pop up.

Anyway, I have an idea on how to counter the gold capturers. Use a powerful and potentially multi-action gunship to dismast the vessel carrying a shipload of captured crew (hopefully in multiplayer for maximum shock value and evilness, and so you don't just get your own crew back), and then use the ship capture ability to yank them home immediately afterwards for a huge windfall!! Shocked Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote

Heard about a tactic while listening to another podcast, which caused some controversy back then. (pretty detailed strategy discussion you can listen to!)

Especially if you pick islands second, go right near an opponent, and then hit Hidden Cove, ram an enemy ship at their own home island with something like the Zeus with Bonny Peel and Wesley to capture an opponent's best named crew before they even get to use it. (also can use the Deliverance and turn ghostly to avoid permanent pinning)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote

Some of the mysterious islands have odd effects when you begin to think about them on a deeper level... you could theoretically overload a ship with equipment that takes up space while the crew does not... or ferry tons of gold from one fort to another if needed...

Oh! I got a good one: farm this island with your home island raiders, and then take more loot than you ever could have! I don't think there's a way to cancel or get around this "ability" once a ship gets the right roll, so you could even have a fully crewed Delusion with Grim aboard and then raid an enemy home island for 7 coins!
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Some of the mysterious islands have odd effects when you begin to think about them on a deeper level... you could theoretically overload a ship with equipment that takes up space while the crew does not... or ferry tons of gold from one fort to another if needed...

Oh! I got a good one: farm this island with your home island raiders, and then take more loot than you ever could have! I don't think there's a way to cancel or get around this "ability" once a ship gets the right roll, so you could even have a fully crewed Delusion with Grim aboard and then raid an enemy home island for 7 coins!
How is that done, if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking for a way to make the very most of Grim's abilities, but using Zeus, my first choice, is only netting 6 coins per HI raid.

That MI strategy is probably worth the most in a really big game, but it still strikes me as exceedingly situational.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:27 am Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:

How is that done, if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking for a way to make the very most of Grim's abilities, but using Zeus, my first choice, is only netting 6 coins per HI raid.

That MI strategy is probably worth the most in a really big game, but it still strikes me as exceedingly situational.

I meant for it to be used with the same MI, so you'd have Cavendish , Grim, and likely a bunch of other crew on the Delusion (or other 10 master) that wouldn't take up space until you unloaded the stolen loot back home.

You might also be interested in this battle report and this thread.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote

Hmm, very good idea, Ben. It sounds like it's a part of a much grander strategy than my current 40 point limitations, though.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
Hmm, very good idea, Ben. It sounds like it's a part of a much grander strategy than my current 40 point limitations, though.

Very Happy Thank you. I specialize in grand. XD (more on that soon-"ish")

Though, there are plenty of fleets using Grim, including some at more normal point levels.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Though, there are plenty of fleets using Grim, including some at more normal point levels.
I know, I tried with a challenge entry fleet, and later, in an improved version of the same concept. I'll probably have to fish through for competitive ideas nonetheless.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
I know, I tried with a challenge entry fleet, and later, in an improved version of the same concept. I'll probably have to fish through for competitive ideas nonetheless.

Yeah, they were both good efforts. Honestly it's just tough to use Grim to maximum potential with such a low number of points available. My favorites at 40 are phymatine's "Minor Factions, Major Theft" and my own combo with the Akua Lapu combined with Calypso.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote

I would ideally combine him with as many Hoists as possible, given their often large cargo space and ability to unload cargo in proximity as a free action. Of course, that's easily a 100+ point game, there.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
I would ideally combine him with as many Hoists as possible, given their often large cargo space and ability to unload cargo in proximity as a free action. Of course, that's easily a 100+ point game, there.

Yes it is! Laughing Very Happy

So yeah, fishing through the fleets and even MR sections could be quite useful. Keep in mind that combos for 40 point games can be found in larger fleets. Sometimes it's just a matter of trimming the fat and making things less optimal (than they are when you can spend whatever you want on them) so they fit into a specific build total.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Backfiring all the way to Davy Jones' Locker...   PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:17 am Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Confused

I mean, technically the odds of getting a 1 on any shot equipment is 16.6%. However, between CG1 and CTO, I have some doubts about that. Laughing I'm exaggerating a bit, but it seems like every time I go to roll for a shot equipment, I get a 1 and blow myself up. Mad The silliest thing will happen when you hit 5/6 easily and then that ONE roll is just always a 1, right when you had to use equipment. Such is the way of life on the high seas I suppose, but in campaign games I really seem to be breaking the rules of probability here. XD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: