Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Rules for thought #7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Rules for thought #7   PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote

Now that the Rules survey has some results, I think it would be a good idea to discuss some various options in detail.

What do you think the standard build total should be?

Quote:
Other: The customization is so great. There should be no 'standard', but just a 'suggested' of the 40 point game. But perhaps the rules should give different ideas on number of islands, and what to do with higher point games.

This makes sense to me, to include additional "advice" on how to set up for bigger games. This one is pretty simple and not much of a question, so how about a twofer? Very Happy

How do you think the Mercenary/Ex-Patriot distinction should have been handled?

Quote:
Ex-Patriots cost 1 more to crew onto non-Mercenary ships; mercenary ships suffer a tariff [pay 2 gold] to dock at your HI.

I think this makes a lot of sense, and lets the Mercs use their own named crew without having to pay the 1 point premium for Ex-Patriot (which as-is makes them even worse as a faction). The tariff idea is interesting, though I'm less sold on that part.

What do you think of these?
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote

If I recall, the rules 'suggest' a game of 40 points, and everyone adopted it as a standard. I agree though, that some advice for larger games could have been included in the complete game rules. What that advice could be, I'm not sure.....

Hmmmm. Fiddling around with point costs could be tricky and would be hard to keep track of. Christian Fiore for example, has a printed cost of 6. What I'm hearing is that if he's placed on a Merc. ship, he costs 5 instead, and costs 7 if he's not on a mercenary ship? That seems very complicated to me, and would be tedious to keep track of, especially if he gets moved around during a game.

How about this for the Mercenaries, since I'm not sold on the 'tariff' thing at all; Mercenary ships may not load Treasure. Swap that for the 'cannot dock at home island' thing, I think it would make them a bit more usable, especially since most mercenary ships are not very good gold getting ships in the first place.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Hmmmm. Fiddling around with point costs could be tricky and would be hard to keep track of. Christian Fiore for example, has a printed cost of 6. What I'm hearing is that if he's placed on a Merc. ship, he costs 5 instead, and costs 7 if he's not on a mercenary ship? That seems very complicated to me, and would be tedious to keep track of, especially if he gets moved around during a game.

How about this for the Mercenaries, since I'm not sold on the 'tariff' thing at all; Mercenary ships may not load Treasure. Swap that for the 'cannot dock at home island' thing, I think it would make them a bit more usable, especially since most mercenary ships are not very good gold getting ships in the first place.

I think the Ex-Patriot cost of 1 point would only be applied if they were on non-Merc ships. So, Fiore could be 5 on a Merc ship, but his regular 6 when used on a ship of any other nationality. Almost like Black Mark, but less confusing than the whole "change nationality to Cursed" thing.... That way, Mercs wouldn't have to pay a premium for their own crew when their ships already have the Mercenary keyword.

Not being able to load gold makes some sense, but it seems like a faction should be able to hire Mercs for anything (though fighting would probably still be the majority of the missions).
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: