bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
What was your "original" collection?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: What was your "original" collection?   PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote

I got into this game back in 2005 (soon after CC came out I believe, but I only remember SM packs in the store), and I purchased a small amount of stuff from the first 6 sets, excluding SCS of course.

This is my original collection of 49 ships that I hold dear to my heart, and these ships are the truest veterans in my entire collection of ~800 punched ships. They've been involved in the first-ever Historical Fantasy Scenarios I had, as well as numerous regular games. This was all I had until 2010 or 2011.

English:
HMS Gargantuan x2
HMS Lord Walpole
HMS Birkenhead
HMS Nautilus
HMS Bath
HMS Frolic

French:
La Magnifique
La Possession x2
L'Amazone
La Danae
Le Mercure
Le Republicain
Tiger (always thought she was French for some reason lol)
Le Courageux x2

Spanish:
Santo Columba
La Trinidad
Asesino de la Nave (first 2 packs)
La Bahama
El San Jose
El Pulpo
La Repulsa (first 2 packs)

Americans:
Enterprise
Concord
Louisiana
Boston
Jarvis
Swamp Fox
Dark Fox

Pirates:
Broken Key
Black Diamond
Dark Pact
Batavian Bat (first 2 packs)
Greyhound
Selkie
El Dorado
Muerta de la Corona (first 2 packs)
El Ladron x2
Cursed Blade
Raven
Carrion Crow x2
Coral
Lightning
Algiers
Griffin

The first and biggest ship(s) of each faction were the flagships. The battles between the two Gargantuans vs. the Enterprise and Magnifique were legendary, with the Lord Walpole and Birkenhead often giving the English a victory late in the battle. The amount of Pirate ships sometimes led to a coalition between all the other factions to take them out. The Raven and Mercure were overly fast scout ships that no other fleet could match. In the end, my love of the English usually made them prevail, but it was a fun time indeed. Very Happy

Of course, your original collection may be quite different than mine, especially if you bought hundreds of ships at once to start out. It could even just be the first pack or first 5-10 packs you opened, or like me, the first batch you had for quite some time before acquiring more stuff much later on.

So, what was your original collection?
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote

My "original" collection was two packs of Davy Jones' Curse i bought from my LCS. I remember i got Loa's Justice (and broke a mast trying to assemble), Slarg Gubbit , & Davy Jones but whatever else i forgot. I ended up selling the Davy Jones for $10 and the others for a couple bucks on eBay.
I kept the Slarg Gubbit, and found it when i started collecting again.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote

I distinctly remember my first pack, a Blackwatch and a Brandywine and the White Crew I think. It could also have been Sargasso Nightmare in the pack but I dont recall. Soon after I got a DJC box with the Broken Key and a few other ships, including:

Swamp Fox
Calypsos (which I broke trying to assemble. I was quite upset.)
Don Osvaldo Guillen
Derrik the Red
George Washington LeBeaux
Blackheart
Orca
Chief PO Charles Richard
Jean Desailly
Jacques, Duc de Valois
Commander Spencer Portland
La Corse
Santo Columba (my original one vanished without a trace, but I have since found a replacement)
HMS Half Moon

and a few generic things and a couple treasures that I've since forgotten. I don't remember what order I got them in, or which ones came first, but for a while most of my collection was from DJC. I then got a quite a few packs of OE and expanded my collection to about 20 ships and almost as many named crew (back before my brothers and I decreed all crew communal). I then went on a hiatus for about two years, then got back into it a little and found this site as well as eBay. The rest is history so to say.

The Brandywine has disappeared and been replaced with a new one, but my Blackwatch is still mostly intact. I've had to replace her hull sides and a couple of her masts, but she's still seaworthy. If I had to choose a ship as my overall flagship for a game, it would have to be the Blackwatch.

My original La Corse's middle masts broke, and she was MIA for a long while, until I happened across some pieces to bring her back to life. Incidentally I used one of her masts for La Triumph.

My original Swamp Fox is long gone, though i was able to find an intact hull plate of my original which I keep in a little shrine of sorts with the hull plates to my Blackwatch.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Thanks for posting - brings back good memories   PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote

Wow, $10 on eBay for just one crew? Impressive.

Imagine the gaming experience a player would get if they received an RV pack with Banshee's Cry, Santa Isabel, and Don Pedro Gilbert! Shocked They would forever be disappointed with everything else... Laughing

If I had to pick "my" flagship, it would have to be HMS Lord Walpole. HMS Lord Algernon is technically my favorite ship, but more because I wanted it so bad back in the day. That being said, HMS Birkenhead was always right up there with the Lord Walpole, while La Magnifique or the Broken Key would be my top non-English flagship back then.

I've posted this before, but there they are... the Lord Walpole and Birkenhead in the foreground, with the Lord Algernon and Magnifique behind. This is my "shrine" I suppose - all 4 ships have been unofficially retired from active duty.

@Xerecs: Your post reminded me of something I meant to put in my first post of this thread.

How could I forget the "lost 3"?
La Belle Etoile
L'Eroica
Straw Man

The Belle Etoile was simply lost as far as I know. I believe L'Eroica was lost as well, though she may have been badly damaged during construction, after which point I may have thrown her out. Embarassed The Straw Man was not so fortunate... I had a really bad day and decided to take out my wrath on what I considered my worst ship (from a gameplay, HFS, and artwork perspective). I crushed it in anger, sitting and possibly stomping on it, which I later regretted. I have since acquired another one, but I don't think I've used it and I don't think I will. Laughing With those 3 it would have been 52 ships.

Also, we have some similarities - we both got a Santo Columba, Swamp Fox, and others very early on. I've talked extensively about how my collection has grown in a Pojo thread. Ironically that thread was posted 5 years ago yesterday. It also confirms that I did indeed come back from my long hiatus in 2010 rather than 2011. I may have lurked here longer than I thought (perhaps more than the month that I recall), but I don't remember much of it haha. I bought 55 ships from Strikezoneonline for $10 (+ $10 shipping) in order to get as much quantity as possible. This was literally just to have as many ships as possible for my Historical Fantasy Scenarios. Laughing That purchase is also where my 8 Mayfair's came from. Rolling Eyes

To think I played HFS's for almost an entire year (on and off of course) before I joined Pojo... you should have seen it. My room was completely different back then, between then and Century of the Empires (2013 - the first game I took pictures for). There was a lot of what do you call them... "natural obstructions" which made for deep harbors and interesting interactions between fleets. The only thing I specifically remember is a very low circular table that made for a sort of cave/overhang with at least one or two harbors attached to the supports beneath it. Ships would sail from these harbors in lines of battle to engage each other in epic battles on the high seas... it was only around 6 years ago, but when almost everything in your Pirates CSG career has happened since then, it becomes quite nostalgic. Smile For a week or two now I've been thinking about recreating that atmosphere for another "flashback" opportunity... I don't know how epic I can make it, but it will certainly shed light on the sheer scale of it all... Shocked Very Happy
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote

I got into this game relatively late. Some of my friends dabbled in this game in 2009 after some DND sessions, but it wasn't until about midnight after my friend's (very open bar) wedding when I sat down and tried to learn how to play. I don't remember much, but I do remember we played more the next morning (early afternoon lol), and I do remember the packs I opened to play included the Santo Columba. I also remember winning my first game with her.

After that I was hooked, and my friend and I split a massive order from somewhere, which mostly consisted of boxes of Ocean's Edge and DJC (At the time, we both got a HMS Richards and we were both so happy at what a "great" ship it was lol. The Richards and Santo Columba were probably my "flagships" for a long time, until I discovered
Pojo's Reviews and found out just how many ships there were and how many good ones there were. ONce I found Strikezone my credit card started taking a major hit lol. I came here in 2010 and lurked for awhile before I actually joined.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
I got into this game relatively late. Some of my friends dabbled in this game in 2009 after some DND sessions, but it wasn't until about midnight after my friend's (very open bar) wedding when I sat down and tried to learn how to play.

Haha, I remember you talking about that on Pojo lol. It's funny you mention the reviews, because I wouldn't mind doing some for the first time.

Thinking about the first person I taught (back in January 2015), his first flagship was the Virtuous Wind. I probably shouldn't have made such a good ship available, as he used it almost every game lol. When I purposely took it out of my traveling collection for the next round of games he was rather disappointed. Smile
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote

On the day that Spanish Main was first released, I made a slight detour on the way home from work to stop by the nearest gaming store and picked up four packs, enough to at least try the game out.

Those first four packs included HMS Titan, Harbinger, Captain Blackheart, Plague, and Rum.

I'd opened those in the car before leaving the parking lot... then immediately had to go back in to get a few more. Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
Those first four packs included HMS Titan, Harbinger, Captain Blackheart, Plague, and Rum.

Shocked Shocked

Those first pulls are probably the best I've ever heard of! Did that spoil you at all in terms of the more mediocre ships, especially with the reverse creep that showed up later on?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
woelf wrote:

Shocked Shocked

Those first pulls are probably the best I've ever heard of! Did that spoil you at all in terms of the more mediocre ships, especially with the reverse creep that showed up later on?
It was still way too early to care about power creep then, but getting that many rares at once was pretty nice.

All it really did was get me irrevocably hooked on the game.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: First Pack   PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote

I discovered Pirates a while after it was out of print, so my first pack (for myself, I got one or two for Des Anges before that) had the USS Concordia, Montana Mays, the Widowmaker, and Chain Shot (I think).

It was pretty cool to get a linked pair in my first pack, and I've liked the difficult-to-use Concordia ever since! I've hardly used her though. Razz
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: First Pack   PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
I discovered Pirates a while after it was out of print, so my first pack (for myself, I got one or two for Des Anges before that) had the USS Concordia, Montana Mays, the Widowmaker, and Chain Shot (I think).

It was pretty cool to get a linked pair in my first pack, and I've liked the difficult-to-use Concordia ever since! I've hardly used her though. Razz

Surprised

Wow, another amazing first pack! I love the look of the Concordia, as well as all the different crew combos you can use with her. The Widowmaker and an equipment is certainly a unique complement as well. Smile
marhawkman

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote

I got started with DPoC.

I think my First pack had HMS Interceptor and some 2 master.

Later I got a Grand Barnacle and started to wonder what "any nationality" meant seeing as DPoC only has 2....
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote

Nice pulls. I've often noticed how good PotC is for gameplay, despite some complaints about how many factions are available.

On a side note, it's worth noting that despite getting 2 full DJC SE boxes, the Dark Pact was my only Cursed ship for around 5 years (including no sea monsters), which may further explain my dislike and general opposition to the Cursed. That said, the Dark Pact is actually one of my favorite Cursed ships. Smile
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Nice pulls. I've often noticed how good PotC is for gameplay, despite some complaints about how many factions are available.

On a side note, it's worth noting that despite getting 2 full DJC SE boxes, the Dark Pact was my only Cursed ship for around 5 years (including no sea monsters), which may further explain my dislike and general opposition to the Cursed. That said, the Dark Pact is actually one of my favorite Cursed ships. Smile

What?! a7xfanben, Admiral of the Royal Navy likes a CURSED SHIP?! Very Happy

I like the pact as well, she's a good gold hauler, kind of like a cursed Grand Wind.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote

My first ships all came from Revolution, and it was my uncle's fault for getting me into this game after I won a pack at a Thanksgiving event.

My very first pack came with HMS Dreadnought which I broke unfortunately, and the Hornet . My second pack came with another Hornet and the Bonhomme Richard .

Getting two five masters in my two first packs was a big help in generating interest in this game. I went on to get one of the special edition boxes for Revolution and then the game took off from there once I introduced my friends to it.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: