main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Playing for keeps?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Playing for keeps?   PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote

It's funny, the original Spanish Main rules had an optional note about keeping treasure won.

Quote:
The winning player gets to keep all the treasure used in the game except for the treasure located on the home island of the other player.

Not sure when that was taken out of the Complete Game rules, but it's something I occasionally come across.

Have you ever "played for keeps"?

What about raising the stakes even higher, and having the winner take the opponent's ships and crew? Shocked Or, to keep it realistic, you can keep what you capture in the game. I don't think I'd ever be a fan of that, but it's certainly interesting to think about from an "I better win this game" perspective!

(I've been on a little Fast and Furious binge lately while eating so I also thought of this as similar to the "keep your car" stuff)
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:50 am Reply with quote

Oooh, no way am I doing that. I've worked hard to build this collection Razz
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote

If I didn't have you guys and this site to trade on, I'd be game to bet my duplicates against people. Punch out a few extra ships to play with them

I think it would be a cool way to

A. distribute duplicates, especially among competing players. If the winner gets it, you're not playing favorites
B. Create fun trades. Each player putting up some duplicates in a fleet, and have it be a secondary goal to capture each others doubles. For either bragging rights, or the ability to play the new ship sooner
c. force you to consider ships you wouldn't always use. If you don't want to lose that El Acorazado, then maybe you'll use the Royal Louis instead this time.

Definitely not a rule for every match. But it'd be a fun one for every now and again.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Playing for keeps?   PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
It's funny, the original Spanish Main rules had an optional note about keeping treasure won.

Quote:
The winning player gets to keep all the treasure used in the game except for the treasure located on the home island of the other player.

Not sure when that was taken out of the Complete Game rules, but it's something I occasionally come across.

Have you ever "played for keeps"?
I never once even considered using that rule, and don't know of anyone else specifically that ever did either.

If the coins used in the game had some sort of intrinsic value beyond the game (mail in x-value for free stuff from WK, or something like that) and they weren't ridiculously numerous by the time you'd opened half a dozen packs, it might have been halfway interesting. But, the way it was actually included was just kinda dumb, so I'm glad that "rule" quietly disappeared eventually.

Checking through the old rule PDFs I have, it was removed somewhere between OE and SS (I'm missing PDF copies of the Cursed Seas sets, and will have to dig out the physical copies tonight unless someone else gets to it first).

------------------------------

As for keeping ships and crew at the end of a game, for me that irritates the same nerve as "Legacy" games. A combination of a hoarding/collector mentality and a lifetime of trying to keep toys and games in as good of shape as possible means that losing or damaging any part of a game is something to be avoided as much as possible. If a rule like that somehow became mandatory, I'd only ever play using duplicates.
ktulu
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote

I played one game a Pirates back in the day where we replaced all the gold coins with one dollar bills. I don't remember how it went or who won, but I remember never doing it again Laughing
anchorarms
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote

I have a situation like the one above, but a little different. One guy in my old group had a massive 10 gallon jug, like the one you find on water coolers, that was filled with change for his next vacation. Unfortunately his dad got real sick and they didnt get to go, so we decided one night a while after to use real coins in the game and keep what you win. I remember that we had some unique rules to go along with it but I forget exactly how they worked.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote

ktulu wrote:
I played one game a Pirates back in the day where we replaced all the gold coins with one dollar bills. I don't remember how it went or who won, but I remember never doing it again Laughing

anchorarms wrote:
we decided one night a while after to use real coins in the game and keep what you win.

I did something like this once with my brothers. We had a bunch of chocolate coins, and I had the wonderful idea of using them for a game. I wound up winning, which made my brothers sour, but it was still kinda fun. That's the only time I've ever played for keeps, though I may implement it as a house rule for one segment of the campaign with our friend.
repkosai
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
We had a bunch of chocolate coins, and I had the wonderful idea of using them for a game.

Thank you. I'm so borrowing this for a party idea for my son. Never thought about it, but it's a brilliant way to theme the day!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: