main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
The Shipyard is Open! Time to fix the database!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: There's a whole 'nother set out there!   PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Shocked Idea

Oh my! Has no one thought of adding a whole set for RtSS?? Of course it wouldn't have pictures, but it would be fantastic for fleet making and the insert function (and even reviews!).

Excellent idea! I never got to properly read through those stats at any point.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote

A nice feature to add would be sets.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote

Yeah... I'm thinking we'll have to contact the admin to create a new set, but then hopefully he could have an "add miniature" button within the new set to start adding stuff. Between woelf's posts and the spreadsheet I posted at BGG it wouldn't take long at all to have the whole set up. (especially since it's a small set)
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Whatever method was used in the past to add new sets should still work.

They would be nice to have included for fleet building and such, but whoever ends up putting them in should include a note on each item clearly stating that they don't physically exist so they don't confuse potential traders that aren't familiar with the whole history of them.

Something similar to the Errata notes on various things already in the database will work, like this:

[NOTE: The Return to Savage Shores set was fully designed but was never printed, so physical copies of this item do not exist.]
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
Whatever method was used in the past to add new sets should still work.

They would be nice to have included for fleet building and such, but whoever ends up putting them in should include a note on each item clearly stating that they don't physically exist so they don't confuse potential traders that aren't familiar with the whole history of them.

Something similar to the Errata notes on various things already in the database will work, like this:

[NOTE: The Return to Savage Shores set was fully designed but was never printed, so physical copies of this item do not exist.]

Exactly, thanks.

I think I'll craft a message to the admin today about this - might as well get the process started.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote

MT wrote:
To add a missing set:

Just go to the list of games here:

Game list >>

Select your game and, at the top of the list of sets for that game, click on the link that reads "Upload data for a new expansion set".

This will take you to a form where you can upload a text file with the data for the miniatures in the missing set. The format you need to use and an example of this file can be found on the form instructions.

However, when I go to that page, I don't see anywhere to upload a new set. Confused

Anyone able to see it?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Nobody responded to my above post, so I'm not sure how we'll add RtSS as a set.

I noticed Captain has the JR crew chip, while it should be Pirate (just received him in a trade so I can confirm Smile ).
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
MT wrote:
To add a missing set:

Just go to the list of games here:

Game list >>

Select your game and, at the top of the list of sets for that game, click on the link that reads "Upload data for a new expansion set".

This will take you to a form where you can upload a text file with the data for the miniatures in the missing set. The format you need to use and an example of this file can be found on the form instructions.

However, when I go to that page, I don't see anywhere to upload a new set. Confused

Anyone able to see it?

I did contact the site Admin to ask him to either add a new set for Accessories and Sealed packs or add them as an option under current sets several months ago. There is now a distinct category for "accessory" (maps and the like) and "sealed pack" which we can use to add to current sets. I was going to work on this but have been much to busy to get to it as of yet.
Adding a new set will in all likelihood require the site Admin, in one of the messages he sent me, he told me he was very busy as of late.
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I just started reading this conversation, so I haven't thought about this too much recently. (I did think about it when the set was first revealed.) I can give you my initial thoughts, but they're just that, initial. I can't and don't speak for Admin. But, I have an idea of some of the legitimate concerns that might come to mind. Keyword is "might."

I think putting the Return to Savage Shores set into the Miniature Trading database would be problematic. We probably can't do it. I can think of two major reasons right away.

One, this is a website about trading miniatures, first and foremost. Adding items that don't physically exist would be confusing, I think. Maybe not for us old-timers, but I can imagine it'd be confusing for people new to the game. I can see multiple PMs asking, "Where are they?" and "If they don't exist, why are they there?" It'd cause some confusion if people listed these non-existent items as "Haves", or even "Wants." I could list them all as "Wants," but I have no way of ever getting them officially....

A similar problem would crop up if we put the mysterious Ship in the Bottle pieces that a certain user (I won't identify him/her, unless he/she wants to be identified publicly once again Wink ) won on Ebay into the database. Only one copy is known to exist of each. (I still wonder why they didn't print more than that) This would be frustrating for those wanting to acquire those pieces, and also frustrating if everyone started showing up on that certain user's doorstep asking for a Ship in the Bottle piece.

Two, Miniature Trading could get into some trouble. To this day, I still worry for the sake of a certain wolf Wink and MT if a certain major toy company who bought the rights to Pirates also bought a new lawyer. If we had it on the database, it'd be like officially sponsoring or approving of the release of that information. If they really want to look for a fight, (and some money) I'm afraid they might have a leg, or at least a peg-leg, to stand on. That'd be bad for everyone. Not saying they would do that, or that they're a bad company. After all, it is to some degree their former content. It's a slim chance, but it's still a chance. The risk isn't quite worth the reward, from a website owner's perspective, I don't think. From a Pirates CSG player's perspective? I'd love to see it. But, hey, at least it's on the forum, right?

So, yeah. I don't know. I don't think we could do it. But it doesn't hurt to ask, either. Not trying to scare you guys, either! And I especially don't want to scare a certain wolf. It's been 8 years. To put that into perspective, the game was shut down shortly before or after the first election of Barack Obama, as I remember. I think that certain company (which shall remain nameless) has long since moved on.

P.S. It's fine for you guys to name the company. I'm just concerned, and wanting the best for Miniature Trading and all of us. Cool
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote

This is now a Sticky thread! Very Happy

It essentially replaces Repository of MT Database Mistakes. We'll see how things go.

I'm sure there are edits still to be made, not to mention flavor text. Just make sure you look at woelf's post if you haven't already.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote

Just a heads up - I've noticed that some of the longship pictures show the ships incorrectly constructed. It is one of the hardest ship types to build right, but some of the LE ones are especially off.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Corrected Devereaux. His gallery text now matches the card text.
etcmn
Guru
Guru

Subject: Forts   PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote

My understanding is that cards in the Unlimited editions and cards in the originals editions are supposed to be the same. When I was looking at forts I found there are a couple of discrepancies.

Fortaleza Dorada 45 from Pirates of the Revolution
original has six cannons
unlimited has only five

Thompson's Island 101 from Pirates of the Revolution
original has four 3L cannons
unlimited has five 4L cannons

Also should Dead Man's Point 31 from Pirates of the Crimson Coast be identical to the PR version 207?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Forts   PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote

etcmn wrote:
My understanding is that cards in the Unlimited editions and cards in the originals editions are supposed to be the same. When I was looking at forts I found there are a couple of discrepancies.

Fortaleza Dorada 45 from Pirates of the Revolution
original has six cannons
unlimited has only five

Thompson's Island 101 from Pirates of the Revolution
original has four 3L cannons
unlimited has five 4L cannons
They were supposed to be the same between Originals and Unlimited editions, but it is known that WK slipped in a few changes along the way. The primary example is the confusing/redundant text they added to Pride and Julius Caesar (those two ships got their own entry in the errata section of the Pirate Code to specifically address it), so it wouldn't surprise me much if there were other little changes elsewhere in the various Unlimited sets.

Those cannon differences are pretty substantial, though, so my assumption is that one or both versions were entered into the MT database incorrectly. Good catch!

Someone that has access to physical copies of both versions will have to confirm and correct those.

Quote:
Also should Dead Man's Point 31 from Pirates of the Crimson Coast be identical to the PR version 207?
Their stats are supposed to be the same, but the flavor text and artwork is meant to be different. The promos in CC had a "ghostly" theme where the artwork was done entirely in grayscale instead of full color, and the flavor text was different to refer to it in some way.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote

Did we ever resolve putting RTSS into the database??

One of my ideas for the review contest was doing an RTSS piece, and if they were in the database it would be easier =)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: