main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Favourite trilogy/series?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Black Mongoose Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favourite trilogy/series?
Lord of the Rings
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
The Hobbit
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Harry Potter
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr/Inheritance (Inheritance Cycle)
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Star Wars
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Favourite trilogy/series?   PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote

Just wondering since I've been on a nostalgic binge lately! The Star Wars Episode VII previews are what started it, along with the last Hobbit movie coming out.

I voted for SW based on my current interests, but it's been all of the others at least once each in the past.
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote

While I like all of them, I choose the Inheritance cycle. SW & HP were and are family things that all of us get into, same for LotR. I've read the Hobbit, but haven't seen any of the movies, nor do I wish to.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I've read the Hobbit, but haven't seen any of the movies, nor do I wish to.

I thought they were quite good.
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Since I haven't seen them I wont pass judgement on whether they are good or not. However I think they could've done it in only two movies, the Hobbit isn't a very long book, unlike the fellowship of the Ring. Smile
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Since I haven't seen them I wont pass judgement on whether they are good or not. However I think they could've done it in only two movies, the Hobbit isn't a very long book, unlike the fellowship of the Ring. Smile

I think that everybody can't help but copy Star Wars because it's so good (including Paolini).
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote

How did he copy SW? I thought the series was fairly original.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
How did he copy SW? I thought the series was fairly original.

I love it, don't get me wrong. It was my favourite fiction series growing up (ahead of HP). A lot of it probably wasn't copied on purpose, but there are a number of parallels you can draw between the two if you get creative. I don't want to ruin the series for you. Laughing
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote

For me Dragon Riders ahead of Wizards, no matter how cool it is to play Quiditch. SW isn't all that original either, it's basically a good v. bad with Flash Gordon influences, but I'm still a fan, even of the prequel trilogy. Number 7 I'm less enthused about since I think they've waited too long to make it, and they sold themselves to Disney.....
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
For me Dragon Riders ahead of Wizards, no matter how cool it is to play Quiditch. SW isn't all that original either, it's basically a good v. bad with Flash Gordon influences, but I'm still a fan, even of the prequel trilogy. Number 7 I'm less enthused about since I think they've waited too long to make it, and they sold themselves to Disney.....

I'm excited about 7, and I actually love the prequels (especially 3 and 2).
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote

I like all six, with 2 and 6 as my favorites, although the race sequence in 1 is awesome! My brothers and I have built 'pod racers' with Lego, raced them and smashed them up in the process!

But yeah 7....I'll go see it, but I'm more excited about a possible 5th PotC movie and a possible Incredibles 2.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
a possible 5th PotC movie

Oh it's happening! I think they've wrapped up filming in Australia. Can't wait! Very Happy

Quote:
I like all six, with 2 and 6 as my favorites, although the race sequence in 1 is awesome! My brothers and I have built 'pod racers' with Lego, raced them and smashed them up in the process!

I would rank them as 632541 personally, I love the grand scale and epicness of the prequels vs. the overused underdog story of the originals.
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh it's happening! I think they've wrapped up filming in Australia. Can't wait! Very Happy

It is?!! Shocked Muwahahaha....this will good, unless it's like the 4th one Sad
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
unless it's like the 4th one Sad

I actually enjoyed the 4th one a lot, but I like POTC more than most people. I think people should realize 1-3 will always be the best (although perhaps 5 can eclipse 2?) and there's no going back to how perfect and epic they were. When you consider 4 as separate, it's still a great pirate movie and a great overall movie. I was disappointed by the lack of any ship battle; I don't think a single cannon is fired the whole movie! Confused
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote

I think you're right! Not a single ship-to-ship battle! There must be one in this next one! Also I did like the 4th, but it felt kind of flat, plus there was no Will Turner or Elizabeth. I've heard that Turner is coming back in this one, as is Barbossa, and obviously Jack. After all of the stuff he's gone through I hope he gets to keep the Pearl this time.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote

It will be good to see Turner again, although I think it would be ambitious to try and bring back the Flying Dutchman (however according to Wikipedia the budget for 5 is $320 million compared to $300 for 3).

xerecs wrote:
After all of the stuff he's gone through I hope he gets to keep the Pearl this time.

What's crazy to me is the cache of ships he has at the end of 4 when he's talking to Gibbs. How will that work out? Will he try to assemble an entire fleet (good luck finding enough crew, even from Tortuga, lol), or give away all the ships but the Pearl?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Black Mongoose Tavern All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: