bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Custom Islands and Terrain
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Custom Islands and Terrain   PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote

After alluding to it earlier today, here's a new thread similar to Custom Ships that we can use to show off and get feedback on the islands and terrain we make. Originally it was meant to be a thread to showcase pictures of things we make, but now I realize it can become a hub for custom rulings as well. Some were discussed in Multiplayer Setups, but feel free to repost things from there as well.

In addition, perhaps this will inspire those who haven't made their own stuff to do so, especially once we start getting some good pictures.

I'm not sure if there will ever be an "Organized Version" of this thread, but either way it will be a while before that's necessary.

By the way, I think I'll be using captain_vendari's Sandbar idea soon, so hopefully I'll be able to place them where the effect is actually seen during the game.

I'll start things off! Some of my stuff, although some of it I like much more than others (and some of these uglier islands aren't with me in the traveling collection). Chopping up white styrofoam is an easy way to make icebergs much more realistic.

rossinaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:06 am Reply with quote

Great thread idea a7xfanben!

Here are some of the islands I have made:

Large Island

Large Volcano

Old Tower Island

Stonehenge Island

Skull Island

Sunken Temple

Jungle Volcano

Waterfall Island

Arch Island

Letter Islands

Rocks

Temple Island

Large Flat Island

Various Small Islands

Small Iceberg

Overhead Shot

Here is a link to the Facebook page that I have for them:
https://www.facebook.com/azminiatureislands

I hope you like them. I am also willing to make them for members here for sale or trade. Just let me know!

Thanks for looking.

RossinAZ
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote

Very nice Islands... What rules do you use for them in game?
brettb45
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote

Nice work! What are some of the other materials that you use besides foam, paint and landscape material? What are the boulders on the bottom of your cliffs made of? What are your bases made of?
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote

I admire the tower island, sunken temple, and temple islands the most. They look so interesting!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Nice iceberg. Also thanks for the subtle nod with the letters! Smile
rossinaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments! I appreciate it.

a7xfanben - I was hoping you would notice the letter placement. Very Happy

brettb45 - Thanks! I use the blue insulating foam for the islands. I use foam board for the bases and angle/cut the edges for the slant for the beaches. The little "boulders" at the base of the cliffs is kitty litter (unused of course!). The grass is green tinted sawdust. The bushes are green tinted dish sponge that has been shredded. The beach sand is, well, beach sand.

el_cazador - I like those islands too. They were my first attempt at putting structures on the islands and I think they turned out pretty good.

xeriousone - The islands are really just places to store gold and sail to. My young sons and I play a very simplified version of the game so I don't have any special rules that we use for the various islands.

Thank you again for all of your comments! Let me know if you have any other questions.

RossinAZ
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote

Those are some best islands rossinaz, I particularly like the one with structures on them, reminiscent of lost civilizations, or in the case of the sunken temple, lost colonies! I might need to get me some of these in the future... Very Happy
rossinaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Thanks xerecs! I really do like those islands as they look completely different. I would make them, so let me know if you are interested....or if you have other ideas for islands too!

Thanks.

RossinAZ
ahoy_scott
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote

I made some islands a few years ago when I ran the "Oceans Contest 2.0". I was happy with them then, but seeing what others have done - Rossinaz here, and some others pictures I've stumbled across in the time since I ran the contest - really make me want to touch them up.

I'll see what I've got again and add some photos again. I've got a little bit of time in September before things get much busier in my life in October.

I have two particular unique ideas I have never before seen for PotSM that I am keen to finish up and share this month. They both add some bling. One is totally bling and needs no rules. The other will require a little bit of house rules; I'm interested in hearing what people say about it once I get it posted.

@Rossinaz, what do you use to build the "structures" on your islands? Meaning the old tower, the Stonehenge, the temple, and the sunken temple bits. Also, I really like the base on your "rocks" piece. It looks glossy in the photo. You've said your bases are foam board. Is that one also foam board? How did you achieve the glossy look it appears to have?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote

Nice to see you post again!

ahoy_scott wrote:
I have two particular unique ideas I have never before seen for PotSM that I am keen to finish up and share this month. They both add some bling. One is totally bling and needs no rules. The other will require a little bit of house rules; I'm interested in hearing what people say about it once I get it posted.

I can't wait to see these! Very Happy
brettb45
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Fantastic job brett! I'm jealous. I've seen some of those before, but I also noticed some other ones. I like that little arch on the last picture! Smile
brettb45
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Here are the islands I've made over the years. The last three are ones I made this year, all of the other ones were my first "batch". Some turned out better than others. There was a lot of experimenting on the first ones. I tried a lot of different types of terrain. The super island (large mountain island) has three different beaches that act as their own island in games.
ahoy_scott
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote

@brettb45 - I love the coniferous trees in the bottom photo, on your super-mountain island. How did you do them?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: