main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Getting back into it
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Star Wars Pocketmodel TCG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject: Getting back into it   PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote

Hey out there, I recently re-discovered my old stash of minis and cards and for the past few days have enjoyed playing this game again. However I only have the rules for Ground Assault, and I have minis from all over the place. Is there anyone out there who still checks this forum who can help with some questions and join in any discussion that might come up?
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Getting back into it   PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote

Scene: El Cazador is flying a boring trade route, checking the HoloNet for amusing videos. His transmitter activates, bearing a message:

Hey out there, I recently re-discovered my old stash of minis and cards and for the past few days have enjoyed playing this game again. However I only have the rules for Ground Assault, and I have minis from all over the place. Is there anyone out there who still checks this forum who can help with some questions and join in any discussion that might come up?

El Cazador pauses in thought before typing out a reply:

EC: "I'm still out here and interested to discuss the game, over."
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject: Re: Getting back into it   PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
EC: "I'm still out here and interested to discuss the game, over."

Glad to hear it! Very Happy I just re-discovered this after many years and recently played around 6 games over a weekend. I was wondering do you happen to have rules for the other sets aside from GA? I need some help with some silver icons from CW, they look like a target, any idea what they do? My brothers and I supposed they meant that you could attack from an adjacent zone.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Clone Wars   PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote

38th Armored Division SPHA-T

The Artillery Icon:

When chosen as an attacker, this unit may battle a defender in an adjacent zone. Resolve this battle normally, except that:
a) the defender may not make a base roll,
b) the attacker may not play a card,
c) if the attack hits, the attacker deals 1 damage for each Artillery Icon on its base instead of its printed damage value.

Most pieces with this ability only have one Artillery Icon, but that card I linked has two, unique in the game in that it can bypass armor (which is my favorite icon).

Personally, I think that it was a little too powerful thanks to the way the game is set up. I remember combining C78 Division Tri-Droid with Battle of Bothawui to hit space units in the Contested Zone (which may or may not have been legal--I didn't do it again. Razz)
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote

I have two of the clone artillery cannons, and have used them in conjunction with Birth of an Empire and Hoth Drop Zone to get plus one to my battles with those units, teeheehee. I think me or one of my brothers has the SPHA-T mini somewhere, we have it's base, but not the actual mini, are you saying that only that mini can ignore the power armor, or that all minis with that symbol ignore the armor, which is also one of my favorite icons as well.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Hyperspace!   PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I have two of the clone artillery cannons, and have used them in conjunction with Birth of an Empire and Hoth Drop Zone to get plus one to my battles with those units, teeheehee. I think me or one of my brothers has the SPHA-T mini somewhere, we have it's base, but not the actual mini, are you saying that only that mini can ignore the power armor, or that all minis with that symbol ignore the armor, which is also one of my favorite icons as well.

It's like this:

Imagine that our SPHA-T hits an armored unit.
The Armor Power Match Icon reduces damage by one.
SPHA-T has two Artillery Power Match Icons, so it deals two damage minus one damage from the Armor icon.
The total damage is one against the armored unit unless a card affects this. Razz
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote

Ahh, gotcha, we've been playing it wrong then. We had it such that if the cannons hit they deal out the damage listed by their stat. My brother wont be happy to hear that, oh well. Very Happy I've found some stuff for Star Wars on eBay, among them the Devastator PuP for around 5 with 3.95 shipping. I'm seriously considering it, but there's also Pirate stuff I'm keeping a close eye on as well.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: War in the Stars   PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:52 am Reply with quote

Back when des Anges and I used to play, some stuff happened in our playstyles:

Des Anges always seemed to prefer striking, and would choose lots of low-star, high-attack units.

I preferred combat, and would pick 2-3 star fighters to win battles.

Over time, both of us tended to stop using 4- and 5-star units because their risks outweighed their benefits (I still used 4-stars occasionally).

Also, both of us adopted strike mentalities--I would base my objectives (Captured Jedi Temple, etc) around deterring strikes while picking a mix of strikers (Blue Squadron, Wedge Antilles's Snowspeeder) and fighters to intercept his strikers. I'd also try to use cards like Peacekeepers when we played ground units.

Overall, the game became just a little less fun for me (strikes? what's the fun in that?) until Artillery came along; I had a short term monopoly on that. Twisted Evil

I wish the game had a different way to account for rarity--unlike Pirates, rare pieces are usually significantly better than regular pieces. I also wish the movement was different--I saw that Cadet-Captain Mike had a variant more like Pirates that seemed interesting.
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:25 am Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the Cadet-Captain but I've heard his name bounced around so often I should probably look into the Pojo and BBG sites.

Since I'm just getting back into it, I don't have a set favorite number of star units. I did however have some units partitioned off from the rest which I seem to recall was my winning army against my younger brother whom I continually beat. It had the two Separatist battleships from GA, two artillery cannons some republic Pod Walkers and a few Homing Spider Droids. In the more recent games, my other brother and I have used up to around 60 stars worth of stuff, which usually gives us two or three 4 and 5 star units. This brother has a strange proclivity for rolling high with his dice, no matter what game we play, and so I have gravitated toward units with high attack and damage values along with cards that favor my units, i believe I mentioned earlier, but I like to use Birth of an Empire with Hoth Drop Zone and Endor Base Outer Door .

My brother has used Droid Control Array Echo Base Hangar Bay to great effect against me multiple times. As of right now the battle record is something like 7 wins for him, five in a row! Shocked Evil or Very Mad and about 2 for me. We've tried three player once so far, and will probably try again when we have time.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: The Cadet-Captain   PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote

http://cke1st.com/m_games5.htm is Cadet-Captain Mike's site! Check it out! Very Happy

I played a 3 or 4 player game occasionally. In one, I allied with another player and we both moved our Carrier-icon units into each others' home zone to antagonize a third player. Razz
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote

I'm finally getting around to reading some of the Cadet-captain's rules for SW. I like them so far, but it's going to take a little while for me to completly grasp everything. Nonetheless, I'm going to give his rules a shot, and see if they improve the games.
wantkrakens

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote

I got a bunch of the Wizkids star wars csg vehicles. Built and unbuilt. I would sell everything for like $10 or trade for something on my wants list
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote

What do you have? I'm looking for minis only really. Not too interested in the cards that came with the game.
wantkrakens

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
What do you have? I'm looking for minis only really. Not too interested in the cards that came with the game.

What do you mean? aren't the cards the stats for the vehicles? I have like some at-at's and tauntauns and clone vehicles as well as a droid tank or two. I can get you a better list tomorrow. Do any of those sound like something you want?
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote

wantkrakens wrote:
xerecs wrote:

What do you mean? aren't the cards the stats for the vehicles? I have like some at-at's and tauntauns and clone vehicles as well as a droid tank or two. I can get you a better list tomorrow. Do any of those sound like something you want?

They do sound like things I would want. By cards I mean the combat and objective cards, not the styrene minis. I don't know if I can tak you up on your offer right away however. There are a few things I'm watching on ebay.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Star Wars Pocketmodel TCG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: