bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
VASSAL module
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: A Vassal to the King speaks!   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote

@a7xfanben

I'm up for it (as long as I can make it work--you know the holidays!).

Do you want to propose build totals? Razz

Merry Christmas!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Let's get this going everybody!   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
@a7xfanben

I hope so! I was counting on you! Very Happy

I'll be available to do it from at least 12/20-1/20 (not just around Christmas), and hopefully afterwards as well.

Quote:

I would want to start simple at 30 or 40 points - I wasn't able to do a lot over Thanksgiving, so I'm still learning to say the least.

Once the mechanics and whatnot are figured out something much larger and more epic could eventually take shape... Twisted Evil
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Let's get this going everybody!   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:13 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
el_cazador wrote:
@a7xfanben

I hope so! I was counting on you! Very Happy

I'll be available to do it from at least 12/20-1/20 (not just around Christmas), and hopefully afterwards as well.

Quote:

I would want to start simple at 30 or 40 points - I wasn't able to do a lot over Thanksgiving, so I'm still learning to say the least.

Once the mechanics and whatnot are figured out something much larger and more epic could eventually take shape... Twisted Evil

. . . My set should be out by then . . .
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote

Most intruiging. Perhaps I shall make time to properly check this out, especially if it is possible to play custom ships..... Twisted Evil
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Let's get this going everybody!   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
. . . My set should be out by then . . .

Very Happy Great! Then we can really put your custom pieces to the test! Shocked

Quote:
Most intruiging. Perhaps I shall make time to properly check this out, especially if it is possible to play custom ships..... Twisted Evil

It's very easy. When I was experimenting a few weeks ago I made a custom ship just for fun so I could see the "deckplate" card on the screen, similar to el_cazador's screenshot. Everything has to be inputted, so using custom ships in the module would be as quick as using existing ships.

Though with some of your customs, I don't know... I might have to pull out a certain Banshee's Cry! Shocked Rolling Eyes Smile
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote

you wouldn't happen to be referring certain Cursed runners would you? Wink I prob wont use them until I make some changes to them. Due to finals and other issues I prob wont be able to give Vassal a good look until around the 20th, or later. However I'm still very interested in this, especially for the possibility of extended campaign games with multiple players.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
you wouldn't happen to be referring certain Cursed runners would you? Wink I prob wont use them until I make some changes to them. Due to finals and other issues I prob wont be able to give Vassal a good look until around the 20th, or later.

That's exactly when I'll be checking it out too.

Quote:
However I'm still very interested in this, especially for the possibility of extended campaign games with multiple players.

That's one of the things I'm most excited about as well! The more players there are, the more complicated it would become, due to changing schedules and how busy each player was outside of the game.

However, I still think it has major potential. We wouldn't have to be on at the same time, but rather just send each other the save file each time someone completed their turn. We could even potentially start a big game in the relatively near future (first half of 2016 for example), because once we get it going, all it would take is for each person to play for an hour or two per week. There wouldn't be any pressure to finish it in one summer or one month, since it's virtual.

Also, I assume more than one game can be going on at the same time in the module? If someone was late to the game, they could join the current one or play games on the side until it was done! (I was going to suggest that another campaign game join the first one, but that would probably be too much.)

xerecs, do you know if any of the players you know would be interested in this? At this point, only one of the players I've taught would even be able to handle a campaign game, but I also know for sure that they wouldn't have the time for it.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote

I only know my two brothers, and our friend. Collectively my brothers and I would probably be interested in this, but I'm the only one with his own Computer, and therefore my machine would be the one used most often for Vassal. I'm not sure about our friend. I think he has his own machine and he'd probably be very interested in this since I think he likes to play but only has a chance to play against us, which is seldom. I'll ask when I next see him.

Is there a way to 'chat' with other people while on Vassal to see if anyone is out there? I ask because it'd be interesting to play a game against you or anyone else here on MT.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Is there a way to 'chat' with other people while on Vassal to see if anyone is out there? I ask because it'd be interesting to play a game against you or anyone else here on MT.

I believe so. I messed around with it a few weeks ago and there was something like that. It may have been connected to the gameplay commands though, so we'd rather have a separate chat. If there isn't one built-in, it would be easy to use Skype or some other system instead.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Mobile   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote

From r/boardgames:

Interest in a Vassal-Like Engine on Mobile (Android/iPhone)?

Very unlikely, and perhaps even less practical, but I decided to throw the link out there.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Battle Reports   PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote

I just thought of something else that's really cool: writing battle reports would be easy once we took "pictures" of the game via el_cazador's screenshot method! This could also stimulate more interest in Vassal, since the BR's would be cross-pollinated over to BGG and Pojo. We won't be able to have angled shots, but the module does look quite realistic and I love the fire effects.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: I'm excited; hopefully you are too!   PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote

Alright, looks like I'm going to be on Vassal on 12/20 hopefully. This post is mostly to bump the thread back up. Possibly on the same day, I think I'll try to contact bj_o, the creator of the Pirates Vassal module.

Things are getting exciting around here! Very Happy
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote

I'm curious, how did you get Vassal to work? Did you download Vassal, then bj_o's file and open it with Vassal, or did you follow Vendari's link? I'm trying to get it right now as I type.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote

el_cazador saved me! (Thanks again!)

el_cazador wrote:
From Vassal, you must use File>Open Module> (wherever you have bj_0's .zip file)>the .zip folder. Vassal should recognize and load it.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote

I'll try that first. I dont really want to create an account for another site just to download Vassal. Gaming aside, have you had any problems with using vassal?

It wants me to have java, but I have adobe.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: