FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
VASSAL module
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote

I've read through the old thread again... here's a useful tidbit.

bj_o wrote:
You can always change the properties again before "dropping" the card. The factions are numbered in alphabetical order:
1 American
2 Barbary Corsair
3 Cursed
4 English
5 French
6 Jade Rebellion
7 Mercenary
8 Pirate (default)
9 Spanish
10 Viking

I had to use numbers because it was the only way to get other things working right. Also, if you look at the Markers tab, you'll see that the crew markers are in the same order.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote

This was my latest email to and from B.J.

a7xfanben wrote:
1. Do you know if there's a way for players to not get automatically transported to what the other player is doing? Zooming out helps, but the potential for simultaneous gameplay (especially in a huge game!) is intriguing.

2. Do you know what your basic process was to start making a new ship model for the module? Assuming I can figure out how to edit it, that's the main thing I would focus on, but I'm not sure where to start (though I'll soon peruse the Designer's Guide).

3. Do you know if the "observer" category is unlimited? I noticed that I could move things normally even as an observer, so I'd be intrigued to find out if the game could feature more than 4 or 5 players.

bj_o wrote:
1 - Not that I know of, unless they've added that functionality recently.

2 - I started off by tearing apart the old French-made module, and figuring out what I wanted to do differently. My version is a bit of a mess, but I did try to build things piece by piece, as in there's different parts that plug together to make one ship. For example, each ship piece calls a prototype ship definition, which calls a ShipOps prototype, which also calls a ShipStats prototype. There's a reason to the madness, and part of it was not duplicating and redefining certain actions many times over. I think there was another reason, but I honestly can't remember it right now. A lot of it seemed to be necessary to get Vassal to play nice and the way I wanted.

3 - I have no idea if there's any "observer" limit. The main drawback that I know of would be that observers wouldn't have access to a private window, so any coin flips or other formerly private actions would be public. Each of the private windows had to be coded separately, but more could be added fairly easily.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:
40 points and faction pure sounds good to me as well. keeping it simple. Would Customs be allowed or no for this first game betwixt me you and Capt. Vendari?

I'm fine with customs, as long as they're within the realm of reason. (ie. If you're using the un-revised Gnat and Urchin I may have to edit my fleet lol.) Like I said, I'm available throughout the week as well if you want to play sooner.

We have 3 players right now, but anyone else is free to join!

It's been a while since I've even looked through my collection, so 40 point faction-pure fleets sounds like a good plan. I also second Ben's notion of allowing customs as long as they are reasonable; I probably won't use any myself though. Now I just need to decide if I'll be shouting "Rule Britannia!" or "Viva la France!"

As for my own question on limits, allowing 0LR+5s or no?

UTs? Yea? Nay? I'm thinking yea, but limiting only to ones that provide or modify gold points.

Also, I'm wondering if you guys might be interested in a Skype conference call for the duration of the game to help with communication, and with your permission to record video of the game to be posted later as a battle report?
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:
40 points and faction pure sounds good to me as well. keeping it simple. Would Customs be allowed or no for this first game betwixt me you and Capt. Vendari?

I'm fine with customs, as long as they're within the realm of reason. (ie. If you're using the un-revised Gnat and Urchin I may have to edit my fleet lol.) Like I said, I'm available throughout the week as well if you want to play sooner.

We have 3 players right now, but anyone else is free to join!

It's been a while since I've even looked through my collection, so 40 point faction-pure fleets sounds like a good plan. I also second Ben's notion of allowing customs as long as they are reasonable; I probably won't use any myself though. Now I just need to decide if I'll be shouting "Rule Britannia!" or "Viva la France!"

As for my own question on limits, allowing 0LR+5s or no?

UTs? Yea? Nay? I'm thinking yea, but limiting only to ones that provide or modify gold points.

Also, I'm wondering if you guys might be interested in a Skype conference call for the duration of the game to help with communication, and with your permission to record video of the game to be posted later as a battle report?

I don't mind if you want to video-record the game, but I don't have Skype so the best way to get in touch with me during the game is either PM or using the VASSAL chat.

As for 0LR+5's I think it's up to you if you want to use them or not, just be sure to let us know during set-up. On UT's I think mostly positive ones should be used, but if for some reason someone is feeling bloodthirsty you could place some nastier ones, sound good?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote

I don't have Skype on this computer so I'll be using the chat function. I'm fine with a video recording of the game, but I'll probably get some pictures as well. If Vendari records it, who posts the BR? I normally would immediately volunteer, especially because either way I'll also post it on Pojo, BGG, and possibly reddit.

I'm fine with both 0LR +5's and UT's. Smile

What time shall this take place on Friday?

@Vendari: Let me know your faction decision, since I'm very flexible but would rather have a different faction than you.

@All: I won't ask to see your fleets beforehand, but what kind of fleet quality do you have in mind? I ask because my fleet for my first VASSAL game was inferior to El Cazador's, so I only won because of the unfair island setup. Perhaps it would be useful for us to give a general rating for the quality of the fleet we're using: 5 for a really good, competitive fleet and 1 for a war fleet or a bizarre gimmick fleet, etc. With over 250 games played I've used the best pieces in the game plenty, so right now I'm generally sitting at around a 2.5 or 3 on that spectrum. However, if you want to keep things completely secret I really don't mind. Very Happy
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote

@a7x: Leaning heavily towards France.

@all: I'd say about a 3 for quality.

How are we going to do island and gold setup for this multiplayer game?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
@a7x: Leaning heavily towards France.

@all: I'd say about a 3 for quality.

How are we going to do island and gold setup for this multiplayer game?

Alright, sounds good. I'm not worried about the islands and gold - 3-5 wild islands and about 4 or 5 coins per island would be fine. Terrain could be decided upon when we're doing the setup.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote

@ A7 & Capt. V, I'm probably going to go pirate on Friday. I might be busy during most of the day, but provided there isn't a Clipper game on Friday I should be available in the evening, say around 4:00PM or so pacific time.
As for quality of fleet, not sure, haven't finalized it yet.

Oh I just remembered my brothers and our friend are going to determine who the winner of Economy is on Friday, but that will take place in the afternoon so I should still be free in the evening.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
@ A7 & Capt. V, I'm probably going to go pirate on Friday. I might be busy during most of the day, but provided there isn't a Clipper game on Friday I should be available in the evening, say around 4:00PM or so pacific time.
As for quality of fleet, not sure, haven't finalized it yet.

Oh I just remembered my brothers and our friend are going to determine who the winner of Economy is on Friday, but that will take place in the afternoon so I should still be free in the evening.

That's like 2pm for me in Mountain zone, and I'll be filing my taxes with a friend around then. Maybe push back two hours?

@a7x: I was referring to how much gold we'd each contribute. We could either provide a set amount, or use this option:

x15 1s and 2s
x10 3s
x3 4s
x1 5s, 6s, 7s

VASSAL can stack the coins and shuffle them, we can pull out a number of coins equal to the amount needed to fill the islands minus UTs provide, then delete the rest. Then we can stack and shuffle the remaining coins with the UTs and distribute to the islands.

As for the battle reports, feel free to post a write-up. Heck, I'll even send you the link if you'd like to include the video in your post.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
That's like 2pm for me in Mountain zone, and I'll be filing my taxes with a friend around then. Maybe push back two hours?

Confused 4pm Pacific would be 5pm Mountain and 7pm Eastern. I'm fine with pretty much any time on Friday. Also, Captain Vendari, your profile page says you're in California.

Quote:
@a7x: I was referring to how much gold we'd each contribute. We could either provide a set amount, or use this option:

x15 1s and 2s
x10 3s
x3 4s
x1 5s, 6s, 7s

VASSAL can stack the coins and shuffle them, we can pull out a number of coins equal to the amount needed to fill the islands minus UTs provide, then delete the rest. Then we can stack and shuffle the remaining coins with the UTs and distribute to the islands.

That sounds good. I didn't understand the stack option until after my first game, so I'm still getting used to that. You're saying to pull out extra so we don't know exactly how many of each value there is?

Quote:
As for the battle reports, feel free to post a write-up. Heck, I'll even send you the link if you'd like to include the video in your post.

That would be perfect, thanks! Very Happy
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
captain_vendari wrote:

Confused 4pm Pacific would be 5pm Mountain and 7pm Eastern. I'm fine with pretty much any time on Friday. Also, Captain Vendari, your profile page says you're in California.

Quote:

x15 1s and 2s
x10 3s
x3 4s
x1 5s, 6s, 7s

That sounds good. I didn't understand the stack option until after my first game, so I'm still getting used to that. You're saying to pull out extra so we don't know exactly how many of each value there is?

Quote:

That would be perfect, thanks! Very Happy

@time zones: Oops, I got Pacific and Eastern time backward. As for my profile, it's been incorrect for over a year now as I have since moved to Colorado. I shall update that soon enough.

@coins: That is exactly what I implied. It's how I used to set out treasure for multiplayer games. It allows for lots of low value coins and a bunch of excitement when a high-value coin appears. Might have to adjust probabilities though. I just picked those off the top of my head.

As for stacking, coins will be stacked in numerical order, so you will then need to use the shuffle command (been a while since I've used VASSAL myself, but I think you can just shuffle from the right-click menu).
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote

In a continuation of the VASSAL conversation from Phymantine's fleet challenge thread regarding tournaments on the module, I'd like to point out the potential of an "old-school" type tournament allowing all pieces from Spanish Main, Crimson Coast, Revolution, and Barbary Coast without any trouble as all ship-types and even forts are represented.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
In a continuation of the VASSAL conversation from Phymantine's fleet challenge thread regarding tournaments on the module, I'd like to point out the potential of an "old-school" type tournament allowing all pieces from Spanish Main, Crimson Coast, Revolution, and Barbary Coast without any trouble as all ship-types and even forts are represented.

Very good point. I think that's one of the reasons I like VASSAL so much already - I'm more interested in the historical nature of the game, so missing out on the stranger and less realistic ship types isn't such a big deal for me.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: News   PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Today I actually began the process of creating a new ship type. It won't be easy. However, after another back-and-forth with B.J., I've acquired files that he wants me to use that includes squids, sharks, and serpents. I was going to create a 10 mast junk, but it looks like the squid will be the easiest, so I think I'll start there.

a7xfanben wrote:
Thanks for the answers! It was definitely helpful. I have a couple more (hopefully) shorter questions after beginning to experiment with adding a new ship type. The first one I'm tentatively working on is a 10 mast junk.

1. When you created the artwork/files for the different ship types, did you download or take anything from the French version? There is a 10 mast junk on the French module, and I was able to get it in the correct format, but now I'm realizing it's more complicated because I'll need individual file pictures for each mast.

2. Do you happen to have any old files that you didn't end up using? I ask because I found your Photobucket picture with all of the different ship types, and I can see you had begun working on a squid, shark, and serpent. If you had any old files of artwork or anything like that I would try to put it to good use.

I know you used GIMP to create the artwork - did you measure out the scale from real-life ships? Now that I'm actually trying to edit the module I'm even more impressed by how much effort was put into it.

bj_o wrote:
1 - I didn't use anything from the French version. I didn't want to reuse anyone else's work without their permission, plus it didn't work with the scale I picked anyway.

2 - I actually do have a svg file where I drew those out to scale with the existing ships. The shapes were drawn out in Inkscape, then imported that into GIMP to do the shading/texturing/etc. I usually scaled up to work in 4x scale in GIMP, then reduced back down afterward. (See attached files!)

I didn't use any real-life ships because these didn't always match up to anything real. I used the assembled game ships as a guide and measured those, ending up with a 30px/cm scale, e.g. the cards are ~8.85 x 6.35 cm, so they are scaled to ~266 x 191 px for graphics (L = 252px, S = 174px).

For all the ships, I had been going with a semi-realistic style, and I pretty much hit a wall when I got to the creatures. After a while of trying to figure out a good way to depict them, I lost interest, and that's where we are now.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Most interesting. If you manage to get some squids in there, I would be down to play-test some of the Cursed beasties I made in customs. Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: