VASSAL module
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Most interesting. If you manage to get some squids in there, I would be down to play-test some of the Cursed beasties I made in customs. Very Happy

I'm going to work on that some tonight.

I created a poll on BGG, so hopefully that will stir up more interest! Very Happy
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:
Most interesting. If you manage to get some squids in there, I would be down to play-test some of the Cursed beasties I made in customs. Very Happy

I'm going to work on that some tonight.

I created a poll on BGG, so hopefully that will stir up more interest! Very Happy

Hopefully it does. I'm on VASSAL right now playing around with it, figuring out how to make UT's and stack treasure and whatnot.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Hopefully it does. I'm on VASSAL right now playing around with it, figuring out how to make UT's and stack treasure and whatnot.

Up for a game tonight? Very Happy

You're posting the last BR for Economy today or tomorrow right?
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:

Up for a game tonight? Very Happy

You're posting the last BR for Economy today or tomorrow right?

Tomorrow, two more peole need to take their last turns, and then we'll figure out the winner. That shold havppen in the early afternoon and not take too long. However because of the game we're going to play tomorrow I might not be able to post the BR until Saturday.
Sure, I'm fiddling around with ocean creation in offline mode, give me a minute to switch.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: 3 games!   PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote

3 impromptu games were played between myself and xerecs! Since they were all rather lopsided and quick, the reports will be short as well. The three games only took about 3 hours, so the concern of VASSAL games taking longer than regular games continues to lose steam.

The first game featured a7xfanben's Minimal Crew fleet against a Cursed fleet made by xerecs.

Cursed:
Revenant (custom Cursed version) + captain, helmsman, explorer
Fallen Angel
Lizard's Sting

A great barrier reef stretched across the sea to cut off access to the wild islands.

The Revenant successfully navigated the reef, but the Stephens rolled a 1 to lose 4 of her 5 masts!

As ships began exploring, the Stephens tried to sail back home to repair, but was promptly wrecked!

The Revenant targeted the San Pedro before she could cross the reefs, but missed.

The San Pedro rammed and boarded to take a coin from the Revenant!

The Lizard's Sting dismasted the Bon Marin with a ram while the Revenant sunk the San Pedro, and the Cursed were victorious 21-13!

The second game was a 60 point game, and featured a7xfanben's Clones of the South China Sea fleet against an American fleet created by xerecs.

Americans:
Venture (custom ship) + Commander Steven Decatur, captain, helmsman, oarsman
Nene-nui + explorer
Jarvis + 1 crew

This time, the previous setup was "moved and rotated randomly" until a feasible setup was found. The wild island in between the two HI's has 5 coins on it, with 3 apiece for the other two.

The Grand Wind sacced an oarsman to move S+S+S+S, and the fleets were off and sailing.

The Grand Path received a ludricrous amount of 6's this game, as the dice luck from the previous game shifted completely in a7xfanben's favor! Here the junk has rammed the Venture!

The Venture is dismasted!

The Venture ducks into the fog while the Grand Wind returns home. The Grand Path hunts the remaining American ships.

The Venture is sunk, and the Americans look to be doomed.

The Nene Nui tries to return home, but is set upon by the Grand Path, who receives yet another SAT from Warlord Cavendish.

The Nene Nui is captured while the Grand Wind explores the center island.

The captured Nene Nui docks at the same time as the Grand Wind, giving the Jade Rebellion a huge windfall.

The Grand Path sinks the Jarvis, and the Jade Rebellion claims a whopping 31-0 victory!

The final game was the most unique. It featured 50 point fleets, with one wild island holding all the gold, defended by an old Viking fort with six 3L cannons. The island was completely surrounded by reefs and fog.

Cursed: (xerecs)
Revenant (custom ship) + captain, explorer
Divine Dragon + Davy Jones

Pirates: (a7xfanben)
Deliverance + Calypso, Calico Cat, captain, exploding shot, oarsman
Eagle + Hammersmith, Gunner, oarsman

My strategy was to use Calypso's whirlpool-creating ability to warp into the area around the wild island, but it failed miserably. Further serving this goal and furthering the similarities to the epic Economy Edition, I secretly placed three UT's: Bad Maps, Turtles, and Whirlpool.

Davy Jones got a 6 on the second turn, but the Pirates were smart to split up their ships in his presence.

Unfortunately for Calypso, she wasn't such a surprise, since the Pirates waited too long to reveal her. As a result, the Cursed found the Whirlpool and Bad Maps UT's, and figured out what was going on. Shades of Economy Edition indeed, but it didn't work nearly as well. Further making the game a complete failure, we forgot to have the fort fire!

Chaos reigns as the island is displaced from the fake "lagoon" of reefs while the turtles start scrambling.

In my frustration, the Deliverance rammed the Revenant and destroyed the fort.

As the island does an Economy and returns to it's former station, the fleets are flabbergasted.

The Divine Dragon and Deliverance are locked in a pitched battle.

The Deliverance sinks the Divine Dragon, while the Eagle heads to cut off the Revenant.

The Revenant is wrecked while moving over a reef, just like the Stephens in the first game! This ended the game, with the Cursed having no available ships. Neither fleet had any gold on their HI, so xerecs was decided the winner since his fleet had gold "in the water" while a7xfanben had no gold on his ships.

The last game was a complete disaster, but as usual in Pirates, "everything that can go wrong will go wrong". However, all three games were fun and will now be forever known as the first confrontations between the legendary admirals a7xfanben and xerecs, players of Economy Edition and Century of the Empires!

Looking forward to the game tomorrow night between myself, xerecs, and captain_vendari! (and whoever else wants to join - 7pm EST!)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: VASSAL   PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote

Game time! Very Happy

40 points, pure nation for anyone who wants to join.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: VASSAL   PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Game time! Very Happy

40 points, pure nation for anyone who wants to join.

That was a good game! I have a few more barnacles to scrape off the keel, but soon I hope to be playing as well as I used to.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Game 5   PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote

An abbreviated game took place between myself, Captain Vendari, and xerecs.

The fleets went in this order.

a7xfanben: Small Fry Rebellion

xerecs' Pirates:
Darkhawk II + captain, helmsman, explorer
Eagle + Calico Cat, Hammersmith, The Hag of Tortuga
Bloody Jewel + explorer

Vendari's Frenchmen:
Le Lyon + Guy LaPlante
Le Descharges + Lenoir, captain
Le Coeur du Lion + Vicomte Jules de Cissey, navigator

JR's in the south, Pirates in the east, French in the west.

The Tiger's Breath sprang out and gave Ben 3 coins early. The Sea Phoenix was picking up the scraps at the same island when the Darkhawk II initiated combat and dismasted the small junk. The Jade turtle ships turned around and attacked the Lyon! In the far north, the Descharges took out two of the Eagle's masts.

The Lyon shot off one of the Proud Tortoise's shell panels and rammed off her mast.

With a shoot and ram, the Noble Swan dismasted the Lyon. The Tiger's Breath decided to forsake the gold in the southwest in an attempt to save the Sea Phoenix. She won the boarding party but couldn't dent the Darkhawk, and she would pay for it on the next turn when the DHII dismasted her. In the meantime, the Eagle had rammed the Descharges. At this point it was noticed that the Bloody Jewel had inconspicuously gone missing!

The Tiger's Breath and the Proud Tortoise rowed home to repair, while the Noble Swan captured the Lyon. At this point the game was called because xerecs couldn't continue. The Jade Rebellion won 14-0-0.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Games 6 and 7!   PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote

Two more games on VASSAL have already been played! I was about to edit my fansite when I hopped on reddit and got ownage99988 to join me on VASSAL! It was their first game in about 11 years!

Game 6
ownage99988: Minimal Crew

a7xfanben: Sealing the Deal (My fleet for the Sealed Pack fleet challenge)

Though it turned out to be a very good thing, there was so much going on in the VASSAL chat during this game that I almost forgot to take pictures and only got 2! VASSAL is truly taking over! ownage and I got started and then xerecs joined the chat soon afterwards once the game had commenced.

In an abnormal twist, the game featured fighting at the start and gold running thereafter. The Overton and Stephens were engaged in battle, but the Stephens won because of the help of the Bon Marin (no kidding!) and the San Pedro. The Minimal Crew fleet towed the Overton home and got the +5 gold bonus from Nolan's Ransom keyword. The Belle Etoile took some damage from the Stephens, but managed to return home before going out on a gold run. If she had a captain, she could have sunk the Overton before Nolan was unloaded, but it was not to be (if only I had pulled another captain for that fleet challenge!). The Martillo de Dios made a successful treasure run before being sunk by the Stephens on her second trip. That's when she carried the final gold coin, and the game ended! Incredibly, it was a 17-17 tie!! ownage was awarded the victory since he had more masts and points afloat than I did. What a great return to Pirates for ownage! This was possibly the best VASSAL game yet.

ownage left, leaving xerecs and I to play a second game.

Game 7
xerecs:
Blackwatch + Commodore Peregrine Stern, Commodore Matthew Perry, helmsman, oarsman
Nene-nui + Ralph David, explorer

a7xfanben:
Jewels of the Fine Sea (my latest challenge fleet!)

The Blackwatch hunted the Jewels fleet, who headed for the outer islands. The Tiger's Eye was immune to the Blackwatch's guns, and therefore she turned south. However, the Emerald was waiting for her, and she pounced first, dealing damage.

At this point it got strange. The Blackwatch rammed and boarded the Emerald with two of her remaining three guns in range. Then the impossible happened: the Blackwatch, one of the most feared gunships in history, rolled FOUR 1's in a row!! This left the door wide open for the Emerald, and the Blackwatch was toast. The Emerald then went after the Nene Nui to try and end the game.

And thus it was ended! The Jewels fleet finished with 22 gold (with +1 from eliminating Perry), while the Americans finished with 10 (+2 from Ralph David).

ownage and I might be back on VASSAL tomorrow. The campaign game is coming...
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: VASSAL leaderboard   PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote

Current VASSAL standings:
1. a7xfanben: 4 wins in 7 games
2. xerecs: 2 wins in 5 games
3. ownage99988: 1 win in 1 game
4. El Cazador: 0 wins in 1 game
4. Captain Vendari: 0 wins in 1 game
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Game 8   PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote

Another game was played between ownage98 and myself, with a 50 point build total.

ownage98:
Flying Dutchman + Davy Jones, captain, helmsman
Mourning Star + captain, helmsman

a7xfanben:
COMMON - A7XFANBEN

The Lady Provost couldn't quite make it to an island, and the Cursed had the advantage of going first.

The Victor got an SAT from Chads and missed twice on the Dutchman and failed the ram and board to lose her captain. Then the Lord Walpole went 0/3!

Then Davy Jones rolled a 6 and the Lord Walpole sunk the Victor! The Mourning Star finished off the Lord Walpole while the Flying Dutchman sank the Lady Provost! The game ended with ownage98 winning by eliminating the entire English fleet, with no gold unloaded to home islands!

Current VASSAL standings:
1. a7xfanben: 4 wins in 8 games
2. ownage98: 2 wins in 2 games
3. xerecs: 2 wins in 5 games
4. El Cazador: 0 wins in 1 game
4. Captain Vendari: 0 wins in 1 game
hiddenelephant
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote

Whoa, dude, there's a vassal module to this? How much of the game does it include?

I recall using the vassal module of Monsterpocalyose back in the day, got my kaiju kicked a LOT!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote

It includes most of the ship types for the game, however Sea Monsters, Scorpions, Switchblades, Catamarans, Windcatchers, and ten mast junks are not currently available. It is possible to edit the module, and I know that a7xfanben is putting in a lot of effort to make some changes to the module to make some of the 'missing' ship types available.
If you're interested in playing and taking a giant bite of the cookie, me, a7, Cazador, and perhaps a couple others are going to attempt to play a cumulative game on VASSAL, perhaps even getting two going at once. For more on that check out the poll thread a7 made for it.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
It is possible to edit the module, and I know that a7xfanben is putting in a lot of effort to make some changes to the module to make some of the 'missing' ship types available.

Thanks, but right now I'm focused on getting the campaign games going. I'll post about editing the module again at some point, but anyone else is free to experiment as well because it's open-source.

@hiddenelephant: We'd love to have you!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Yes we would indeed. I'll probably be on VASSAL later today, after I finish the last Economy Report and make lemonade, so if you're interested we could have a game before the major campaigns start.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: