Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Ranking: Top 10 Ocean's Edge game pieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject: Ranking: Top 10 Ocean's Edge game pieces   PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote

Ocean's Edge was and is still the most commonly available set. The trade off it seems was a set that had very few stand out ships or pieces. Here are my picks for the top ten pieces of Ocean's Edge.

Number One......

Davy Jones

Not before and never since has a crew had such an impact on the game. Lord Mycron's release later in the game was close, nothing compares to Jones. The ability to give an ENEMY ship an action, (without sacrificing the action of one of your own ships) is extremely powerful. The other parts of his ability only make the fleet he's in and the ship he's on that much better. Realistically whatever ship he's on will get an extra action, and for the Cursed, this one crew (and a couple others) brings them into the discussion for a major faction.

Number Two.....

HMS Grand Temple

One of only two non-Jade six mast ships, the Temple is easily the best, and arguably the best six mast ship, period. Her base stats are fantastic:
4 very accurate L range cannons, and 2 decent S range
S+S base speed, making her one of the fastest ships her size
This one is English, and can benefit from their very good named crew selection
She's cheap enough to run bare bones and still have room for some very good gold runners
YOU CAN PUT PIRATES ON HER
That right there opens her up to only one faction worth of talent, but to two. The Pirates have some of if not the best crew options out there, and the Temple is priced just right to allow some of their more expensive lads and lassies aboard, and still have room for getting gold. Why you could put Emperor Blackheart on here with a regular captain! The only thing holding the Temple back form breaking the game (or coming close to it Very Happy) is her cargo of 3. That's the ONLY downside to this vessel.

Number Three.....

Zeus

Putting the Zeus any lower would certainly raise eyebrows. The only ten mast ship that can be even REMOTELY considered for a regular game. This ship has it all going for it as well:
Pirate
Lots of cargo
Average cannons
No fiddly crew restrictions
Before Ocean's Edge the only other then mast ships were extremely expensive, and required a crew to be on them to even be used, bumping their cost even more, and making them almost un-playable in a regular 40 point game. The Zeus changed all that. By making her less expensive than some ships the Zeus can be squeezed into a 40 point build very easily. All of this combines to give her the number 3 spot.

Number Four.....

Le Gaule

Arguably the perfect five mast ship, the Gaule combines good speed, a good multi part ability, lots of cargo, and for reasonable price. I'm not partial to the French, but this is one of their ships that I really love, the options available to you are numerous, and her one drawback (if can call it that) is her lack of L range cannons to hit those annoying ships that cannot be shot at within S. Need I say more?

Number Five.....

La Resolucion

Possibly the second best gunship in the set (counting the Zeus as a hybrid). La Resolucion has built in world hating, AND accurate cannons already, effectively making it such that the only possible way she misses is to roll 1's. Like the Temple, her main drawback is her cargo, 3. Here it is more of a drawback than a minor hindrance, for while Spain does have crew options, they dont quite have the options the English and Pirates have.

Number Six....

Calico Cat / Crimson Angel

These two are so similar I had to rank them the same. The only real difference is if you prefer Extra Action or Same Action. Both have the handy cannon bonus, and both give a reasonable discount on it as well. Once again, the only real thing exasperating them from one another is ability, and point cost. But what's one point difference?

Number Seven.....

Guinee

The Guinee is the first Cursed cancelling piece. That ability is so powerful, and so utilitarian that it automatically included her somewhere on this list. Outside of her ability the only real downside to the Guinee is her speed at S. Outside of that, she's a decent ship. Average cannon rank and range, decently roomy cargo hold, and not bank breaking expensive. If she had belonged to ANY other faction, she would have not made the list, but being the first of a kind tends to get you noticed.

Number Eight.....

Raninoidea

Ocean's Edge saw the return of Sea Mosnters, and the introduction of Sea Creatures, there is a difference. XD The two main types of Sea Creatures introduced were Titans (giant Crabs) and Sea Dragons (exactly what they sound like). Of the two types of Creature, Titans are only just more viable, since you can put CREW ON THEM. The titular or 'star' Titan of OE is Brachyura but he's not so good, and the Spanish one is not even worth mentioning. Raninoidea on the other hand, has a few advantages:
Pirate
Fastest base Speed
Nice ability
Mainly because of her pirate-ness, Rani makes the list. Make no mistake however, Titans are not very good pieces. Like all Sea Creatures, you cannot repair them, and assembling a Titan is a wee bit of a chore, plus they are one of the easiest pieces to break. On the other hand, they are the only piece that can traverse over islands, thus creating a mobile glass fort.

Number Nine.....

Sea Rat

Ocean's Edge is not known for it's gold gathering ships. Few and far between are ships that can be commonly relied upon for gold from Ocean's Edge. Yet this two mast junk fills that role. Albiet not perfectly but this is the set with Sharks, it doesn't take much to look good here. XD So let's see, 5 cargo, average move of L, Home Island raiding, bad cannons, and all for 10 points. Not bad. Not bad at all, especially if you're cursed. This is about the closest you will come to finding a cheap treasure running option for them.

Number Ten.....

Angelica

As I said, being the first of something will tend to get you noticed. Angelica is easily the best Sea Dragon, being Pirate and having a handy cargo eliminating ability. On top of that, Sea Dragons are THE fastest pieces in the game, nothing can compete, not even the venerable Hai-Peng and San Cristobal. The drawback to Sea Dragons is their price. Angelica is 19 points, and is a fragile piece (literally). Using one of these beasties means you have a way to make them move and shoot, or else you are waiting for a person to wander into Swoop Attack range.

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):
Deliverance
La Reconquistador
El Algeciras
USS Constitution
HMS Victoria
La Cordoba
El Fantasma
Emperor Blackheart
crsluggo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote

Nice list! I am curious about your thoughts on Deliverance and why she did not make your top-ten list.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote

NIce list X! Although to me, you missed a couple of biggies like Le Coeur du Lion , La Bonne Chance , Bilge and Divine Dragon . Ghost Walker and Virtuous Wind are also reeallly good. This set was so awesome all around heh (well except for sea monsters - to me, I don't care if its the first, they are still laame pieces that are not useful) I also don't share your love of the cursed - guinee and Sea Rat are both good, but not even close to my top ten.

Here is how I would rank them:

1) Calico Cat/ Crimson Angel
I agree with ranking them together, but I put them as #1 because outside of the Capt/Helm combos I think they are the single best named crew in the entire game because of their value. I mean, Calico is 3 points underpriced.

2) Grand Temple

3) Davy Jones/Blackheart
Why not rank them together?

4) Zeus
Like you said, a 10 mast that is playable.

5) Le Couer
This is one of the most widely overused ships in the game.

6) Le Gaule
Although you can argue USS Constitution or Deliverance is just as good...

7) Le Bonne Chance
13 points, Captain, SSS, good guns and a reroll? You just can't beat that. If this ship had more than 1 cargo it would probably be #4

Cool Divine Dragon
The best cursed ship that is greater than 4 masts (best to me is most useable, sorry Guichan)

9) El Algeciras
This is in the same category as Le Couer to me. Its just a perfect ship that stands out because there is nothing else like it in the game. It got so much better with flotillas, but still is awesome overall to me.

10) La Resolution
Not an actual fan of this ship, but it deserves a spot I guess.

Right outside of this would be Bilge, Virtuous Wind, Ghostwalker, USS Constitution, and Deliverance roughly in that order.

To answer crsluggo's question, I think Deliverance is kinda boring outside of the SL movement. At that price you just have better Pirate options to me.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm not sure any sea dragons deserve to be in the top ten, myself. Here's the list I personally have:

1) Virtuous Wind - one of the best ships from SCS, made better by being part of a faction with better crew choices.
2) HMS Grand Temple - needn't say anything.
3) La Resolucion - absurdly powerful guns for her price. She may not be fast, but she is scary.
4) Davy Jones - powerful, but the Limit keyword and high price make it hard for me to put him any higher. A good choice for big games, but hard to justify in 40 point games.
6) Calico Cat / Crimson Angel / Master CPO Charles Richard - a trio of undercosted crew, all three are excellent additions to their respective factions.
7) El Algeciras - for a budget support gunship, she's a magnificent choice. Good guns, good speed, tiny price.
8- HMS Rickets / La Bonne Chance - same story as above. Still great budget options, but not quite as cheap, and definitely not multipurpose ships. Rickets has better guns, LBC has more mobility.
9) Sea Rat - I agree that this is one of the few good gold runners in the set, but she's still not perfect, as she's small and has an underwhelming move speed.
10) Le Coeur du Lion - profoundly cheap, but of limited use due to her lack of strong exploitable traits.

HM: Zeus (too expensive still to use most of the time,) Seleucis , Lechim Namod , Lusca , La Reconquistador , USS Constitution , USS Georgetown , Homing Beacon , Protection from Davy Jones , Whirlpool , Mystic , Ghost Walker , Last Hope , HMS Burma , Bilge
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Egads, I knew I forgot a ship!

@Crsluggo, Volt

I didn't include the Deliverance on this list, mainly because I'm more preferable to her Crimson Coast variant. I will not deny that the OE Deliverance is a beast, but there were only ten slots and I felt that she didn't quite make it. If I was to put an order to the Honorable Mentions, she'd be number one.

@Volt,
I agree that the CC/CA are some of the best crew out there, but I could not ignore All-Powerful. As good as cannon bonuses and cheap EA/SAT are, the All-Powerful beats that in my opinion simply because you have the chance to give an enemy ship an action. Since your opponent will know this, it forces them to move their ships differently, and not keep them close together so as to avoid friendly fire.

I suppose the Couer does deserve a spot, but her size makes her a gamble to me. Since I've played with folk who LOVE TO RAM a one mast ship is a screaming target. That's why I choose the Sea Rat, she's not as susceptible to ramming. That was also the reasoning behind my exclusion of El Alg from the top ten, durability mattered. Again, I wont deny that those ships are VERY good, and under-priced, but they just missed the mark on my list.

On the LBC, .... Yeah she should be on there at number ten maybe....

@Godmason,

The Virtuous Wind may be a good ship, but she's good for the Jades, where she can stand out. As part of the Spanish, she's just another in a long line of good ships.

I don't think La Res is worth a number 3 spot, her cargo space REALLY holds her back, and unlike the Temple, that limited space limits her effectiveness. But to each their own I suppose... Very Happy

I thought about including the Rickets, but she's a scaled down and faction changed version of La Res. Where the best of the best are supposed to be, second fiddle isn't going to cut it.

I disagree that Zeus is an HM, the only ten even remotely capable of being used in a 40 point game NEEDS to be on the list somewhere. I originally wanted to put her at number 10 or number 5, but found that doing so would prop up ships and pieces that were inferior to her, hence her place at number 3 on my list.

Kudos to you however for including UT's, something I forgot about completly! XD Very Happy

@ All,

We seem to be in agreement that the HMS Grand Temple is undeniably number 2! Very Happy
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
The Virtuous Wind may be a good ship, but she's good for the Jades, where she can stand out. As part of the Spanish, she's just another in a long line of good ships.

I don't think La Res is worth a number 3 spot, her cargo space REALLY holds her back, and unlike the Temple, that limited space limits her effectiveness. But to each their own I suppose... Very Happy

I thought about including the Rickets, but she's a scaled down and faction changed version of La Res. Where the best of the best are supposed to be, second fiddle isn't going to cut it.

I disagree that Zeus is an HM, the only ten even remotely capable of being used in a 40 point game NEEDS to be on the list somewhere. I originally wanted to put her at number 10 or number 5, but found that doing so would prop up ships and pieces that were inferior to her, hence her place at number 3 on my list.

Kudos to you however for including UT's, something I forgot about completly! XD Very Happy

- You're probably right about Virtuous Wind, but considering her competition in this set, would you not say she's still among the best ships in OE?
- I disagree. She's a cheap, but exceedingly dangerous ship. Her low cost and great guns offset her average hold and slow move. IMO, she's best for a simple Captain-Helmsman-Whatever setup anyway.
- I suppose I may be hasty to include Rickets, but she's nonetheless well-equipped for her price.
- Zeus is a little too easily combated for me to include her on my list. Yeah, she's a great ship, but not what I'd call practical to use in most games.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote

How is the Zeus easily combated? If you have her, the cheese Mycron set-up, Hammersmith an explorer and oarsman, you're clocking in at 40 points with a ten that is guaranteed an extra. If you drop the Oarsman and use the Jolly Mon to house the Hag, you've got room to put the oarsman back, and include the BC with an explorer. The Zeus has more than enough cargo to empty an island or two of their best coins, and has the best firepower of all the Tens.

Are you referring to her S range cannons, with 3 rank as being easily gotten around, or are you referring to her clunkiness in maneuvering?
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
How is the Zeus easily combated? If you have her, the cheese Mycron set-up, Hammersmith an explorer and oarsman, you're clocking in at 40 points with a ten that is guaranteed an extra. If you drop the Oarsman and use the Jolly Mon to house the Hag, you've got room to put the oarsman back, and include the BC with an explorer. The Zeus has more than enough cargo to empty an island or two of their best coins, and has the best firepower of all the Tens.

Are you referring to her S range cannons, with 3 rank as being easily gotten around, or are you referring to her clunkiness in maneuvering?
Oh whoops, I was under the impression Zeus couldn't start the game without Blackheart aboard— all the other ten masters have to, AFAIK. That said, Lord Mycron is a sort of unfair card, and almost anything can be OP with him in your fleet.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote

OK finally getting around to this... these things require such big posts heh. (which I like of course)

The Resolucion's 3 cargo doesn't hold her back THAT much... the Spanish don't have a sac crew for her, and 3 cargo spaces is about what you need to make a gunship quite effective. (ex: Castro/Vaccaro/captain/helmsman)

@godmason: The OE version of Richard isn't undercosted in my opinion, he's just a flavor American captain who's usually better spent on a helmsman and oarsman. I don't see how you can put Lusca as an honorable mention but not the Gaule. (maybe just forgot?)

I will strongly disagree that the Zeus is the only "remotely" playable 10 master in 40 point games. All 4 10's from SS/RtSS are playable (only 2 points more!), they're just not as practical as the Zeus. (especially the Zhanfu with her S+S speed) Godmason, the Baochuan and Guichuan are the ONLY 10's that must start with their linked crew aboard.

It seems that Lost, HMS Victoria, and the Virtuous Wind are the most underrated so far. Anyway, here I go...

1. HMS Grand Temple

This isn't English bias, this is results and experience.

2. Calico Cat / Crimson Angel

Should cost 9 and 7 points respectively, these two are some of the best crew ever.

3. Zeus

Can be crewed a variety of ways to dominate in any build total. Was a competitive beast in tournaments then and now (such as RedDragon's SOE fleet, and T1, among many others I would assume).

4. Whirlpools

A brand-new terrain piece that lets me teleport with almost no drawback? Sign me up! As unrealistic as they are, I believe whirlpools changed the game for the better. As a great option for both gold runners (getting to islands faster and making slow speed less of a hindrance) and gunships (sneak attacks, escape routes), they're also one of the "best" game pieces you can use, and often more fun and relevant than other terrain. (which just gets easily avoided and ignored)

5. Davy Jones / Emperor Blackheart

Insanely good, especially as the game size gets bigger, and bigger, and... HUGE! Very Happy (at least 1,000 total points)

6. Le Coeur du Lion

A ship that can do a variety of things somewhat well, and provides an excellent spot for certain named crew when needed. Nearly free cost cannot be ignored.

7. Virtuous Wind

One of the best hybrids and stacked ships in the game.

8. El Algeciras

Sick of her, but great bargain-bin firepower.

9. El Fantasma

Sac captains are about as good as crew get, and here the Cursed got what is arguably their most practical named crew. Just so good, and makes the Cursed more viable as a faction.

10. Deliverance

Faster than the other 5 masters in the set with a very similar point cost, and tied as the fastest 5 master in existence.

Just missed (in no particular order): Lost , USS Constitution , Le Gaule , HMS Victoria , Ghost Walker , La Bonne Chance , Divine Dragon ,

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order): Francesca , Guinee , Raninoidea , Sea Rat , Seleucis , Captain Montana Mays , Protection from Davy Jones , Bilge , Sea Crane , Sea Duck , Sea Tiger , various similar 4 masters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: