Pirates group meetups - where are you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grolmori
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
On another note, I find the German presence here interesting. None other than old_man is there, and now we have two new members from Germany. There aren't many consistent members (for Pirates) from the UK, and to my knowledge none from France or Spain.

Yeah, let's meet in Germany. Wink
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote

telxon wrote:
Sacramento California area

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy It's nice to see so many new members lately, including in this thread.

Seems like a lot of people in California!
scannerbob
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Lorain-Elyria area, just west of Cleveland right on Lake Erie.
brettb45
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Ames, IA. There are also several other guys who play with me in Ames, Des Moines and in Northwest Iowa.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
I'm in Colorado Springs, CO.

Louisville, CO! Up near Boulder. Still one heck of a drive, though.
maciver
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:42 am Reply with quote

I'm in South central Alaska. Anyone up to a little road trip? Wink

There used to be a group that played regularly, but that has broken up due to people going off to college. Been several years since I played a real game... Sad
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote

maciver wrote:

There used to be a group that played regularly, but that has broken up due to people going off to college. Been several years since I played a real game... Sad

If money or air fare was no object, sure I'd come and visit.
That's unfortunate, and rather sad to hear that a regular group broke up. I probably will go through something similar in a couple years when my one brother graduates HS.

Y'know I have this pipe dream of sorts, winning the Lotto and funding a grand, epic get-together of as many members here as possible.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
maciver wrote:

If money or air fare was no object, sure I'd come and visit.
That's unfortunate, and rather sad to hear that a regular group broke up. I probably will go through something similar in a couple years when my one brother graduates HS.

Y'know I have this pipe dream of sorts, winning the Lotto and funding a grand, epic get-together of as many members here as possible.
And not funding Wizkids' reintroduction of the series? Sad
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote

I suspect it would be cheaper to fly all the fans on the site to someplace where we could all play the game for a couple days, maybe a week, than it would to re-introduce the game. But that is a new possibility....
Besides I thought Wizkids as a company ceased to be.
hiddenelephant
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Based in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, but I'm a college student; don't have my ships with me often.

Xerces: I'm pretty sure Wizkids is being more open and showing off what they're doing, being more community-friendly, but I'm not sure; I've yet to go check the website again.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote

That could be true, I havent checked to see if they've released anything new or anything at all recently. Like I said, it's a bit of a pipe dream on mine.
scannerbob
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote

It seems NECA bought Wizkids from Topps for the sole purpose of getting the Heroclix lines. Yeah, they DID release the Shuffling the Deck Pirates card game back then, but that was all the acknowledgement Pirates got from them.
I also collect Sci-Fi Die-cast stuff and I saw an online interview with NECA's Product Manager last week (It was on a forum called Rebelscum) and I emailed him a message inquiring about the old constructible game we all play. I even mentioned this site and the activity and interest on here, along with our interest to continue the game. (it was about a 4-5 paragraph message!)
So far I have not received a reply, either positive OR negative. I'll keep everyone posted on here if I DO hear back.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote

That's awesome! Please do keep us posted scannerbob.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote

scannerbob wrote:
It seems NECA bought Wizkids from Topps for the sole purpose of getting the Heroclix lines. Yeah, they DID release the Shuffling the Deck Pirates card game back then, but that was all the acknowledgement Pirates got from them.
I also collect Sci-Fi Die-cast stuff and I saw an online interview with NECA's Product Manager last week (It was on a forum called Rebelscum) and I emailed him a message inquiring about the old constructible game we all play. I even mentioned this site and the activity and interest on here, along with our interest to continue the game. (it was about a 4-5 paragraph message!)
So far I have not received a reply, either positive OR negative. I'll keep everyone posted on here if I DO hear back.
Oh please do. I'd love for some of this to go back into production.
scannerbob
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote

This was my message to them:

General Question about Pocketmodel Wizkids games to Randy Falk, Director of Product Development:

Hello. I'd like to start off by stating I'm one of the uber-collector's of the Pirates of the Spanish Main constructible card game. I have complete sets of all releases for this game, from Spanish Main up through Savage Shores. I also have an extensive collection of doubles to use when playing the game, which I still do quite often. I would also like to inquire as to the possibility of releasing new sets (or at the very least the second half of Savage Shores, which was going to be named Return to Savage Shores).

There is a large community of players that follow a website called Miniature Trading that has VERY active forums for players of this game. The original rules arbitrator still answers rules questions quite frequently (probably on a daily basis!) and many people, myself included. have collected & played from day one. I understand the price point would have to be raised since these were last sold in 2009, and I'm perfectly OK with this. Was this a profitable venture? Do you have access to the sheet styrene and the dies to cut these cards? Tooling should be minimal since 1 style cut works for multiple ships, they just have different printing on them.

If I may ask, what was the deciding factor to NOT continue this wonderful gaming experience once you took over the Wizkids reins? Everyone in the existing community was so elated to hear someone had purchased the IP of Wizkids and we were all hopeful to see our beloved game continued. I might even suggest going onto the Miniature Trading website to see the activity and maybe even gauge interest to see if it would be a worthwhile addition to you product. You could theoretically even see what price point most players would be OK with. The Rules Arbitrator goes by "Woelf" on there and he is a plethora of knowledge about the game. At one point there was even serious talk of a bunch of players getting together to try to get a fan-designed set actually physically produced, discussing styrene costs, printing, die-cutting, distribution, etc.

PLEASE, there is a LOT of interest in this, and I see a lot of potential sales in continuing this fine game. I would like to hear your thoughts about this.

Respectfully,

Robert S.

Maybe I should've started a completely new thread for this, but I seem to recall back in the day, there were several people who posted about trying to get in touch with Topps and NECA to see what was going on and nothing much was heard. Maybe if enough of us get in touch with them and plead our case, they could see there might be a market for these. Especially with another Pirates movie due out, and NECA already has some licensing agreements for Pirates merchandise, I would be ok with even another movie tie-in set to kick off the triumphant return of our favorite game. If any moderators want to split out these posts about my message to NECA into a separate thread, please do so.

Bob
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: