main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
EXPERIMENTAL Cumulative game (Battle Report)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: EXPERIMENTAL Cumulative game (Battle Report)   PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote

The Economy Edition game being played right now by xerecs has inspired me to start another (but considerably smaller and shorter) cumulative game. Things have come full circle after my CotE and Economy games inspired him to play those!

This game won't last much more than a week and a half, if that. As the title suggests, it's not your average cumulative game. There are going to be some things that I wasn't able to do during my Economy game, as well as some other ideas I've been wanting to try out. This will also make for a unique style of battle reports. Be ready for anything!

Without further ado, here is the setting:

Shap-'ng-Tsai has succeeded. "With over 100 junks at his disposal and bases hidden along the Chinese coast, Tsai claims that he will be the one to topple the English empire." He has now done it. The English presence in the South China Sea is a remnant of its former self. The Jade Rebellion can now be more properly called a Jade Empire, as they are rightfully the dominant presence in their home waters.

However, the age of imperialism is not at an end. Other imperialist nations threaten to cause more damage to the Jades and their way of life, mostly as a result of the so-called "endless" gold deposits on the local islands. Just in the past few weeks, Spanish and French ships have entered the waters patrolled by Jade Rebellion ships. These two nations have teamed up once again to form the Franco-Spanish alliance, although here they've decided to split their forces to maximize their odds of taking down the Jade Rebellion empire. The Jade Rebellion has already sent away many of the gunships that helped to win the war against the hated English. Unfortunately for them, this means that only one capital ship remains in the area. The Jade presence is still strong, but the Spanish and French are a huge threat that Tsai and his fleet must deal with.

The Spanish and French may have underestimated their opponent, for they didn't send large fleets to guarantee victory. However, one such ship, El Príncipe de Asturias, has considerable battle experience already, and her crew is thirsty for more. "El Principe de Asturias was reassigned to the South China Seas after leading several successful campaigns in the Mediterranean. Now her crew use their considerable experience against the Jade Rebellion." It's obvious that fighting is inevitable, and in fact the Spanish and French have already made a joint declaration of war on the Jade Rebellion.

To complicate matters even further, one English ship remains in the area, a veteran of the JR-English war. HMS Galapagos has suffered extreme losses in battles against the JR, making her tiny remaining crew anxious for revenge. Tsai recently let the Galapagos escape, knowing his fleet could easily take the ship at their leisure. However, with the Spanish and French now in the area, the Galapagos may slip under Tsai's watchful eye since the FS (Franco-Spanish) are a much bigger threat.

The fleets sailed out in this order of play:

Jade Rebellion (100 points)
Grand Temple + Shap-'ng-Tsai, Katsura-chan, helmsman, oarsman
Sea Wind + captain, explorer
East Wind
Sea Lion
Sea Crane + explorer
Admiral Yi
Dragon's Talon + helmsman

Spanish (50 points)
La Voz de Dios + captain, helmsman
El Príncipe de Asturias + captain, helmsman
San Agustín

French (50 points)
La Gaule + captain, helmsman, oarsman
La Geographe + Nicholas-Thomas Baudin
La Fureur
L'Argus + oarsman

English
HMS Galapagos

As you can see, this game starts out as an all-SCS game. This is the beginning theme, but only that. As a result, the only three UT's present at the start of play were also from SCS.

For the first time in any of my games, wind would be used! A while back I searched in the depths of the files section at BGG and found different wind rules. For this game, I'm using this from way back in 2004. Thanks to headlouse for coming up with it.

There are also some Sandbars present, which are similar to Sargasso Seas, but worse for large ships than small ships. Other ideas will be explored as well. For example, Marines can fire on EVERY player's turn, not just on their owners' turn. Also, to continue the experimental theme, ramming cannot do damage. In addition, some "ghost gold" has made its way into the setup.

- Transparent coins give the ship carrying them the Ghost Ship keyword, as long as they're still on the ship.

The game's area is limited by the table it's being played on, and only non-standard islands and terrain were present at the start. There are currently four home islands (HI's) and six wild islands (emphasis on "currently"). The English and Spanish HI's are in the west, while the French have set sail in the northeast. The Jade Rebellion empire starts the game as the favorite to win, with the biggest HI located in the general center of the sea.

Flat earth rules are being used, for now.

Each wild island has 5 coins on it, and the new "shipwreck cove" area has three different sets of 3 coins on different shipwrecks, which must be docked at like they're independent wild islands (and ships have to roll for effect on the reef when "docking"). The wild islands will replenish back to a maximum of 5 coins only after all 5 previous coins are gone from the island. The replenishment happens at the end of each round of turns.

This picture shows most of the sea. The bottom of the frame is south, while the top is north. The English and Spanish HI's are at the edge of the table, while the Jade Rebellion sits in the middle. The French can just be seen at the top right in the northeast. Notice how the huge sandbar separates the Spanish and the Jade Rebellion, while the shipwrecks are a dominating factor of the northwest.

Also looking south to north, here's the rest of the sea, showing the east where the Jade Rebels and Frenchmen reside. The Jade Rebellion has easy access to four of the six wild islands, but this is not the case for the other fleets.

Here is the ocean again, but this time looking from west to east:

The Jade Rebellion, with a HI that has 3 beaches, are completely unaware that their HI lies on convergent tectonic plates.

The Spanish are ready for war, with two gunships in the area already.

The French are ready to assist, especially with La Gaule.

The northern half of the sea looking from west to east.

The southern half:

Shipwrecks of a long-forgotten war between the Jade Rebellion and Pirates reveal similarly forgotten gold aboard the wrecks of the Thrud, Deliverance, and Flying Dutchman.

One last look for the time being - a unique shot showing the beautiful water of this contested sea.

As the English were the last fleet to take their turn, they chose the initial wind direction, choosing northeast (NE).

Without further ado the fleets set sail! The wind rules immediately affected things, since any ships sailing in the southwest direction lost S from their speed. This slightly slowed all the fleets except for the English, but the game was just beginning.

The Sea Crane was the first ship to reach an island, but the Gaule approached.

For the time being, the wind would be rolled for at the start of each round of turns, rather than at the start of each fleet's turn. This could change. For now, a 4 was rolled, meaning that the wind shifted to blow due east, slowing ships headed west.

The French proved they weren't about to shy away from a fight! On just the second turn, with war already declared, the French instigate the first conflict! La Gaule sinks the Sea Crane and her two 5 coins!

Tsai responds angrily by using his SAT powers to sink the Gaule and nearly dismast the Geographe!

In the meantime, the Sea Wind has found Rotting Hull, but she's also brought back the first coin for the JR. The other JR ships have docked in the south and are exploring. The Geographe managed to mark that eastern island as explored and therefore knocked out the Sea Crane's JR presence there. (This third turn saw the wind stay blowing from west to east.)

Using the wind's +S boost, the Voz de Dios sails around the sandbar and rams the Sea Lion! With the Grand Temple off fighting the French in the east, the Spanish capitalize on an easy chance to hit Jade trade. The action is somewhat unsuccessful, with the Sea Lion only losing 1 mast after 4 shots by the Voz (and also remember no ram damage). However, the Voz did win the boarding party to steal one of the Lion's coins. To make matters even more tense, the East Wind used her treasure trading ability to trade a 1 on that island for a 4 on the island that the other Spanish ships were docked at.

The English and Spanish have docked at western islands as separate skirmishes have already occurred in the south and east.

To get the +S wind boost, a ship must move in the correct direction (here anywhere between NE and SE) for one move segment. In this way, the Geographe was able to tack back to her HI in one turn, which meant she could repair. The Argus and Fureur turned around, desperate to stay away from the Grand Temple, who had already crippled the French fleet in just one turn. In addition, the Principe found Fireworks and the first ghost coin. The Dragon's Talon had Trade Route aboard.

After just three turns, two separate battles have occurred and two fleets have already lost ships! This unique experimental game is just beginning...
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Scientific!   PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote

Spectacular start for the no-good Jades. I hope the English launch and decisively use the HMS Dreadnought to show whose empire the sun never sets on. Very Happy

Can I request that the English buy Captain Benjamin?

Captain Benjamin: GS #133
Type: Crew
Nation: England
Link: None
Captain, Parley.

Flavor: Captain Benjamin is a sneaky and underhanded fighter. He will often open fire on ships after guaranteeing their safety in a parley.

I'm sure you remember this one. Razz
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Scientific!   PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
Spectacular start for the no-good Jades. I hope the English launch and decisively use the HMS Dreadnought to show whose empire the sun never sets on. Very Happy

Very Happy

Arr, the English are my favorite faction and always will be, but if anything this game (and others such as Economy Edition) proves that I've completely separated my love for Royal Navy history from actually playing Pirates CSG. (Not that the English shouldn't have won CotE or some of the earlier huge games - in fact quite the opposite as the English are fantastic in long games due to their gunship and named crew selection.)

As for Capt. Ben, I wasn't planning on using any customs, but we'll see.

This game is going to get wacky... Shocked Twisted Evil

Like I said, be ready for anything... Twisted Evil
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Scientific!   PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:56 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
This game is going to get wacky... Shocked Twisted Evil

Like I said, be ready for anything... Twisted Evil

But Hyrule isn't ready yet! Razz Laughing

Also, I think having Parley would be a huge benefit to the tiny English fleet. I assume the win condition is to send the Jades to their watery graves, or to send the Imperials back to Europe?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Scientific!   PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:

Not for what I have in store for them, no! Twisted Evil

But really, Hyrule won't be appearing, sorry. Smile

Alright, no more hints for now. Idea
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Scientific!   PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
el_cazador wrote:

Not for what I have in store for them, no! Twisted Evil

But really, Hyrule won't be appearing, sorry. Smile

Alright, no more hints for now. Idea

Of course they wouldn't appear! I needed a counter-punchline, and that came to me first. Razz Razz Razz Besides, they don't fit in with England, France, Spain, or the Jades.

I'm worried about that "what I have in store for them". Shocked Laughing

Yes, progress continues, albeit slowly. I've discovered a Brave New World on my weekends. Razz
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote

This looks like it will be fun, but I cant help but wonder...
Quote:
unaware that their HI lies on convergent tectonic plates

...what this will be about. When you finish are you going to post a link to the BR thread?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
This looks like it will be fun, but I cant help but wonder...
Quote:
unaware that their HI lies on convergent tectonic plates

...what this will be about.

I purposely just slipped that in there between pictures and didn't underline it or give it any attention, but I knew someone like you would notice it.

Twisted Evil

Quote:
When you finish are you going to post a link to the BR thread?

I'm planning on actually making a megapost with all the reports in one post, but I still might not put it up until your Economy game ends. (I may also play a regular game this weekend that I would post later.)
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote

Cool, cant wait to read the mega post. Speaking of Economy I will probably play tomorrow and Friday, less certain about Saturday and Sunday. I'll make an announcement about schedule when play resumes.

@ El_Cazador, have you heard of Evony?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote

The fourth turn of play marked the second day's action. The Jade Rebellion hired two captains, one for the East Wind, and one for the Dragon's Talon. However, the Dragon's Talon still had Trade Route aboard, and so had to wait for the Grand Temple to sail up and take it off her in order to load the captain. This turn marked another change in the wind, though it shifted back to NE, the direction it was blowing when the game began. The Sea Lion and East Wind managed to avoid further trouble with the Voz de Dios, who appeared reasonably content with the coin she stole from the Sea Lion. The approaching presence of the Grand Temple gave her another reason to head home.

On their turn, the Spanish used almost all of their gold to commission La Habana with a captain and helmsman aboard, continuing the SCS theme by choice.

The Voz de Dios sails home with stolen loot while her fleet mates enjoy the comforts of their home island.

The Argus and Fureur head west to an island, while the Geographe repairs (top left).

However, with the wind behind her, the Sea Wind reaches that same island for the second time, as the newly-captained East Wind departs to the south. The Jade-French tension is obvious.

As the Voz rounds the sandbars, her proud fleet mates sail south to greet her. The San Agustin is slow, but her large cargo hold means she can empty the southwestern island when she isn't carrying crew.

In the northwest, the Galapagos heads home with gold. To the east, the Argus docks but can't explore just yet. The slow Fureur gets into position to dock and take gold next turn.

At the top of the frame, the East Wind has joined the Sea Wind on the north side of the Jade HI, giving the Jades two of their three gunships in close proximity to the French gold runners. Far to the south, the Grand Temple guards the southern island for the Sea Lion.

You may have noticed a few additional ships at the Jade HI. At the end of their turn the Jades launched two new turtle ships, the Proud Tortoise and Floating Stone.

With the Grand Temple facing southwest, the Spanish turn around and head north up the huge sandbar. The Voz docks home gold, while the San Agustin loads some. At this point, at least one of the six wild islands was replenishing at the end of each round, and many of the day's turns saw two islands replenish in one turn.

With a meager haul of 7 gold from 4 coins, the English manage to launch HMS Patagonia with a helmsman and also add an oarsman to the Galapagos.

The Grand Temple shadows the Spanish, as the Jade gunships up north appear to sail in such a way as to cut off the French.

The Jade Rebels are still angry that La Gaule sunk the Sea Crane, and things don't look good for the French.

Looking west to east, the Habana has been sent north to explore the mysterious shipwrecks of the northwest.

On their turn, the French did well to position their ships for possible attack, with the newly-repaired Geographe sheltering the Argus. However, the Fureur was a sitting duck.

The island that once sat in the middle of the lagoon in Economy Edition isn't so lucrative anymore, but it's the best option the English have.

War resumes! The East Wind takes on the Fureur!

With a devastating blow, the French are nearly defeated! The Fureur sank beneath the waves. Then the Proud Tortoise sailed towards the Geographe and hit with her fire shot! To finish up the successful attack, the Sea Wind hit the Argus and Geographe once each.

The Sea Wind carefully maneuvered to avoid illegally docking at the French HI while staying out of S-range of the Argus.

Luckily for them, the French had placed an oarsman on the Argus at the game's start, and with the wind aiding her, she was able to return home and save herself! Her coin was only a 2, but the French had hope. That hope temporarily diminished when the Geographe continued to burn, but she got home as well. The French narrowly avoided being the first fleet eliminated.

The Spanish continue to play cat and mouse with the Grand Temple.

The East Wind and Sea Wind grab some gold on their way back to the Jade HI. The Jades have dealt with threats efficiently and have successfully intimidated the Spanish into staying in their own waters up to this point. As a side note, this day of action saw the wind blow east for four consecutive turns.

The Spanish were very worried that even with the help of La Habana, the Grand Temple could potentially cripple the Spanish battle fleet in one turn with Tsai's SAT. As a result, they launched another ship from SCS, one of Spain's finest: Santa Ana + Almirante Carlos Pavón y Miranda, Bianco's Haulers (finally breaking the SCS theme), Comandante Antonio de Silva, helmsman, and oarsman.

In the meantime, the English launched an addition of their own: HMS Hyena + Sir Meyer Hampstead. This gave them a ship that could harass enemy gold runners while still having enough cargo spaces open to run gold normally if no targets were available. However, the English should have paid more attention to the man they hired...

"Hampstead knows that money—not the Crown—is what keeps the world turning, and he’ll do whatever is necessary to keep that money flowing back to the investors in London. Flags, kings, and courts are all secondary."

The Jade Rebellion was obviously still the fleet to beat, but they were getting a little worried that they wouldn't be able to deal with all of the growing threats at once.

The Patagonia has explored the wreck of the Deliverance, while the Habana is exploring the wreck of the Flying Dutchman, whose bulk obscures the Spaniard's bow.

In the northeast, the French have repaired most of their battle damage, while to the south, the Jades have multiple ships coming back with gold.

All is well in the southern part of the sea... - hang on, what's that in the southeast corner?!

IT'S THE BARBARY CORSAIRS! The Barbary Pirates have invaded the South China Sea!

The Grand Temple and Dragon's Talon immediately head southeast to counter this unexpected threat! Seeing their opportunity, the Spanish gunships round the north side of the sandbar for the first time, entering Jade waters! The Jade HI is loaded with gold, but they may have to use some of it soon to deal with the madness that's beginning to unravel! The Barbary 2 masters have docked at the southeastern island, while the Persian Victory heads straight towards the Grand Temple in open defiance of the Jade Empire! The Sea Dragon and Viper's Bite sneak north.

The Jades are strong, but the Spanish have now massed all of their firepower in one spot! The returning Habana watches as her fleet mates round the sandbar in the largest display of firepower seen in the game so far. 16 masts on 4 ships, all with captains.

The 12th turn of the game finally saw a dramatic shift in the wind, as a 6 meant that the wind reversed direction from blowing NE to blowing SW!

The Jades have the opportunity to take the battle to the Spanish, and they do so! With war declared long ago, the Proud Tortoise has no hesitation sailing up to the Principe de Asturias and blasting her with fire shot!

But in the meantime, another battle is erupting at the same time! The Grand Temple shows her might once again - even with no SAT from Tsai, she dismasts the Persian Victory and takes out a mast on the Pasha's Delight.

The Dragon's Talon finished off the Persian Victory! The Admiral Yi has decided to go to the Sea Lion's island to avoid having her gold stolen by the Barbary Corsairs.

Chaos! The other battle rages on, as the East Wind hits 2/3 on the Principe, bringing her down to 1 mast. The Sea Wind gets the cannon bonus from the East Wind, but still misses both her shots against the Habana.

With their aforementioned capital ships in another part of the world after the conclusion of the JR/English war, the Jades couldn't launch any more of their own ships, for they had run out of building supplies. As a result, they turned to hired Mercenaries, purchasing the Meropis with Herr Fuchs, Count Gustov, and a helmsman, leaving just 10 gold on their HI.

The Spanish started their turn by rolling for the Santa Ana's extra action (EA). They got it, and decided to let the Habana continue sailing home with gold. The Habana almost made it all the way back with the new NE wind pushing her home. The Spanish were confident their two remaining gunships could deal with the Jades, and they were right. The Principe started things badly by completely catching on fire, dooming the poor ship. The Santa Ana then used her double action to cripple the East Wind and sink the Sea Wind!

The Voz finished the Spanish counterattack by sinking the East Wind, but her long range guns couldn't hurt the pesky Proud Tortoise.

The fully-repaired and now-ignored French make their way west, careful not to stray too far south.

The English went next, and began by exploring with the Galapagos so her cargo was full after the island replenished at the end of the previous round. Then they ordered Hampstead's Hyena to continue sailing north and explore the Thrud shipwreck, but he had other plans! Caring only about money and profits, he rammed the Galapagos and stole all her gold in a ridiculous act of betrayal!

As the sun sets on another day's action, one thing is for sure: these fleets are in for the unexpected!

But wait! The Barbary Corsairs took their turn as well, using the Bey's Revenge to explore the southeastern island! Then the Pasha's Delight used a repair action while docked, claiming that island as the new home island for the Corsairs! Finally, to end a crazy day, they launched the Ivory Star immediately with the gold they found on the island! She's immune to the Grand Temple's L-range guns and can't be shot at right now since she's docked at her HI!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote

Oh my, I'm at a loss for words. The wind I suspect will have a huge impact on any future engagements between fleets, and on the game in general. I cant wait to see what comes next!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: The action continues   PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote

Turn 13 saw the southwesterly wind continue. The Grand Temple and Dragon's Talon scooted away from the BC ships who couldn't be shot at. However, the Meropis got into action immediately, but only went 1/3 to dismast the Viper's Bite and failed to damage the Sea Dragon. The Proud Tortoise returned home to avoid being trounced by the Spanish. At the upper left, the Principe de Asturias is about to slip under the waves.

The Spanish had lost one of their four gunships, but had dealt the Jade Rebellion major losses in return. Now the Santa Ana and Voz de Dios headed east while the Habana returned home with gold. To the north you can see the French getting some much-needed gold.

The Barbary Corsairs respond! The Ivory Star has docked at the southern island to the left, while the Meropis is under attack. She was subject to three boarding parties during the turn, one from the Bey's Revenge and two from the Sea Dragon via S-board. She lost her helmsman, but the Corsairs boarded because they had no crew to lose, which meant they didn't have captains either.

The BC's swarm the Meropis:

Furious at Hampstead's betrayal of the English, the Galapagos fires a full broadside. She only hit once! The Hyena sails off with her stolen gold, with the weak Patagonia unable to do anything about it.

The following turn saw the wind shift to a northerly wind, which would benefit any ships sailing south. The Jade Rebellion launched a successful counterattack, damaging the Pasha's Delight and Bey's Revenge. In a rare instance where the reverse captain ability came in very handy, the Meropis used it to sink the Viper's Bite before scurrying away from the frenzy of Corsair ships. Her guns were rather poor once again, however, since she needed all her shots to sink the Viper's Bite and therefore didn't have a chance to hit the Sea Dragon, which would come back to hurt her.

The Sea Dragon uses the wind to her advantage and catches the Meropis! With another double-board, she eliminates Count Gustov from the game! The 6 represents the fact that both ships rolled a 6 on the second boarding party, meaning no crew were eliminated with a 9-9 tie! (which happened after the Sea Dragon rolled a 6 to win the first boarding party) The 2 masted galleys returned home for safety and repairs, while the Ivory Star explored to the west. Towards the top of the picture you might notice some other things...

The Spanish continue their advance, though somewhat cautiously. The Floating Stone was off on her own, and the Santa Ana pounced, taking out both turtle shell panels. However, the Santa Ana couldn't bring her last gun to bear since she wanted to dock at the same wild island in order to activate Bianco's Haulers (this ship cannot be shot at while docked) and avoid getting hit with the Floating Stone's exploding shot. The Spanish had the Voz de Dios shadow the Santa Ana, careful not to split their gunships up.

Here's a broader shot of the situation. The main new development concerns the Habana, who has docked at the large sandbar for some reason. That longer, noticeably taller sandbar can't be passed over by ships, but the two to the south (on the right here with one out of the frame) follow the custom sandbar rules.

The wind continued to blow south, and the Jade Rebellion empire continued to show its might. From left to right: the Grand Temple knocks out two masts on the Ivory Star (with her 3S cannons since the IS can't be hit by L-range guns), the Floating Stone uses her initial segment to get the wind boost and escape from the Spanish, and the Meropis uses reverse captain again to hit the Sea Dragon before running away. The Dragon's Talon hit with her lone cannon to dismast the Sea Dragon, but she can easily row home to repair. Knowing this, the JR's are becoming tired of fighting the Corsairs so close to their HI, since it's ineffective.

The Santa Ana got an extra action with that 6, and moved to redock at the island, and then explored. This was a puzzling move, since the Santa Ana could only take one coin aboard. The Voz followed suit, but there had to be some other motive.

To the west, the Habana "explored" the sandbar, and the Spanish finished their turn by putting Fortaleza Dorada on it! The fort's two long range guns reached almost to the Jade HI, so their ships were blockaded in the south from the west! The Santa Ana's explore action became obvious...

And the Spanish construct El Castillo del Infanta on the eastern island! The L-range guns again reach almost all the way to the Jade HI, and now the Spanish have lines of fire drawn on both sides of the Jade HI! This cuts the Floating Stone off from the rest of the fleet in the south, and immediately denies Jade access to the island the Castillo is on as well as the northern island at the top left. In addition, it kind of traps almost the entire Jade fleet in the south, making it harder to avoid the BC's. Lastly, the wind was not favorable for the JR's, since the Spanish had the weather gauge and the wind was blowing the JR's back into the southeast.

The Hyena docks at the aforementioned northern island, and in a stunning move Hampstead reveals his new allegiance: to America! The new "American" fleet has been borne once again out of distrust of the weakened British, and the Americans claim the island as their own! With the Hyena's stolen loot from the Galapagos, the Americans commission USS Overton with a helmsman! Hampstead comes aboard the Overton to command his new ship.

The ever-frustrated Jade empire responds after the wind shifts to the NW (blowing SE), and Tsai's SAT gives the Grand Temple enough shots to sink the Ivory Star, who carried the hopes of the Corsairs with 15 gold on her. Now that treasure is at the bottom of the sea, and the Corsairs are struggling. They repair their 2 masters and row the Sea Dragon back. The JR's, however, have their gunships in the southwest corner, fighting the wind to get back to their HI.

The English continue to slowly accumulate gold while their former fleet mate, the Hyena, repairs at the new American HI. The Overton has set a course for the tumultuous southern area.

With the wind at her back, La Habana has quickly moved south to the sandbars she can traverse. The Spanish may have a pincer attack in mind, with the Habana coming from the west and the Santa Ana and Voz coming from the east, while the forts prevent or delay escape to the NW/NE. At the bottom of the frame, the Pasha's Delight is capitalizing on the JR's dilemma and grabs a 7 from the southern island.

But once again the Jades strike first! The Grand Temple takes two masts off the Habana, further proving that the Jades are strong enough to handle the threats presented to them. The Spanish are frustrated with their slow progress in taking down the empire, but they know they need to proceed cautiously since the GT can move 6S (or more with the wind!) and rip off 12 shots in one turn with Tsai's SAT.

Here you can see some gold on the JR HI, and they've done a decent job regrouping their gunships considering the pesky Corsairs and the unfavorable wind.

The Habana's best option is to retreat, as the San Agustin docks home another load of gold. All of the factions appear to be saving up some gold at this point, and the English, Spanish, and Jade Rebellion all have at least 20. Notice the Overton on the right, sailing past the Spanish fort. The Spanish gunners hold their fire, dumbfounded at seeing an American ship in these waters.

Another picture to cover the eastern areas, this shows a good portion of the sea. The big Spanish gunships in the east have moved south! However, with a NW wind, they're worried the wind will shift to a westerly wind and the JR's will gain the weather gauge. Who do you think will win?
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Madness   PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:30 am Reply with quote

The Americans are here? I wouldn't trust Sir Meyer Hampstead if I were in command.

Hopefully the Americans get wiped out soon; I don't want to see a USS Lamon or USS Mercury in this fight. They weren't invented yet; after all, this is clearly the 1840s. Razz

I still want to see the HMS Dreadnought although she's not period-appropriate. Razz Go England!

El Cazador

Edit:

I'm "hiding" this note in an edit; I wonder what will become of Hampstead's Black Mark.

Last edited by el_cazador on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:51 am Reply with quote

If you want to see the Dreadnought, look no farther than the lateset Economy report.

I agree, I wouldn't trust Hampstead either, however I disagree about seeing the Lamon or mercury, do whatever it takes to win! Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
As you can see, this game starts out as an all-SCS game. This is the beginning theme, but only that.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: