main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Bringing back the Age of Sail?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Bringing back the Age of Sail?   PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote

Sometimes I have this fantasy where all the nations of the world come together and agree to scrap their entire navies. Then, production begins in earnest for "Age of Sail Part 2"! XD

Of course we live in the easiest world for humans that there has ever been, but between my love of naval history (especially during the Age of Sail), campaign games of Pirates CSG, and certain music (like this or PotC), I occasionally have thoughts about bringing back certain elements of different time periods, namely having only sailing ships traverse the world's oceans.

With CG2 back in action after a hiatus, my appetite for that game has surpassed the game's pace. It makes me anxious lol. I've had thoughts of looking up some MMO (I think, never done one of those) type games based on the Age of Sail, which is probably the last thing I should do heh. I have vague notions of converting a player or players of X game into Pirates fans, so then there are more people to play CG's with and more people to participate in the World game, which could just be epic.

Pipe dreams right? Laughing
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote

Heh, my pipe dream is to somehow gather enough funds to re-launch Pirates csg. In m head that re-boot would be compatible, but would have better (or more balanced) pieces in it.

It would be interesting to have a return to age of sail technologies, but I suspect something like that would be unlikely to happen willingly.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Heh, my pipe dream is to somehow gather enough funds to re-launch Pirates csg. In m head that re-boot would be compatible, but would have better (or more balanced) pieces in it.

It would be interesting to have a return to age of sail technologies, but I suspect something like that would be unlikely to happen willingly.
IMO, the CSG would almost better be relaunched as a mobile game. It'd be more profitable, and print/balance errors could be corrected through patches. It would also allow for cheaper booster packs, maybe $1 instead of $4, and less difficulty in finding people to have a game with.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote

@Xerecs: That's something we can agree on! Very Happy

@godmason: Very interesting. I just think it would be difficult in terms of scale - the game is already small enough, so trying to see an ocean layout on a phone screen seems like it would be difficult.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote

There was an online version of the game. I wanted to play it but never was able to. To my knowledge, the online version only had pieces up to Ocean's Edge, since I recall it being advertised in some packs as early as DJC. However I think it was shut down almost right before or right after WK stopped production.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
There was an online version of the game. I wanted to play it but never was able to. To my knowledge, the online version only had pieces up to Ocean's Edge, since I recall it being advertised in some packs as early as DJC. However I think it was shut down almost right before or right after WK stopped production.

The wiki has some info on it; it was shut down 1/31/2011, which is before I joined and likely before I started lurking here. I think an online version would be great, and even somewhat similar to VASSAL but with much better graphics and mechanics. I just think that trying to play a game on a phone would be tough because imagine how small a ship would appear on the screen if you put an ocean setup on a phone (almost like being way zoomed out on VASSAL and trying to tell what's going on).
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:52 am Reply with quote

The online version was not very good... the graphics were decent but the controls were clunky as a character and laggy as a ship. They could have done so much better with it if they made it for the joy of the game instead of the joy of making another $1000k bucks that they tried to do.
I feel the joy of Pirates has lost out to corporate greed on so many frontiers.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: