main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

 

bulletin boards

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
IMPORTANT: What are you doing to bring people into Pirates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When is the last time you taught a player?
2+ years
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
1 year or so
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
6 months, maybe a little less
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
1 month
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Last week
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

Author Message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 6099

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 6099

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 6099

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote

What do people think of having the new player(s) build their own ships? In my experience, this is quite possibly the most frustrating part of the game for new players. I like to give people spare packs of OE (and sometimes other sets), partly so I don't know what I'm giving them and partly to introduce them to the game in a classic fashion.

Of course, they don't have the same appreciation for opening packs that us diehards do, and then they often have trouble building the ships. It really depends on the person and the potential distractions though. Some of the people I've taught have been adept and determined when building, while others whine and complain and inevitably end up breaking stuff. I always reiterate that I can build anything for them, but I'm happy that most of them keep at it until the ship is complete or they reach a sticking point.

The other problem of course, is the setup time. Between building the ships, explaining the basic game mechanics in the Start Here rules, and actually making a fleet of 30 or 40 points, the process can often take a half hour or more. However, we need ships to play the game, we need some kind of rules framework, and leaving out the extremely crucial point limit aspect wouldn't really work. This is part of the reason I find the low "complexity rating" on BGG rather amusing - to the general population, Pirates CSG is actually extremely complicated, even when sticking to the basics.

So I guess my question is: who thinks it's better to assemble the ships beforehand, and who thinks it's better for them to build their ships?

(The thread I linked above this post has some great insights, but I feel the discussion could use a revisit, especially in terms of build vs. preassemble)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xerecs

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote

It might depend on the age of the person you are trying to teach. A younger kid for example, might have difficulty fitting the ships together without breaking them. Conversely, a fellow who is much older than you may have some difficulty due to some physical issues.

In my experience, it is easier to have ships assembled for older newcomers, and better for younger ones to have a ship un-assembled, or un-punched.
Back to top
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 6099

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
It might depend on the age of the person you are trying to teach. A younger kid for example, might have difficulty fitting the ships together without breaking them. Conversely, a fellow who is much older than you may have some difficulty due to some physical issues.

In my experience, it is easier to have ships assembled for older newcomers, and better for younger ones to have a ship un-assembled, or un-punched.


I was going to mention this in my post but forgot. I've generally found that the older the person is the more difficulty they have putting the ships together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 6099

Subject: Spreading awareness   PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote

Thought this one could use an unlock. Hopefully wantkrakens won't mind that I changed the thread title slightly.

I haven't been teaching players lately, but today I've been rekindling some nostalgia on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgamephotos/comments/69ngn8/pirates_constructible_strategy_game/

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/69ndmf/anyone_remember_pirates_of_the_spanish_main/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/69oo04/pirates_constructible_strategy_gamepirates_of_the/

Someone said Pirates got banned at their school! Shocked It's fun but slightly sad to see how often people remember it - the past popularity is evident already and it's only been a few hours since I posted. Just more fuel for the fire that Wizkids needs to see this type of stuff to get a relaunch going! Idea Very Happy

PS: Also got 33 likes on a recent Instagram pic of my Economy Edition game!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 6099

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote

Taught two relatives how to play yesterday; one of them almost immediately said it was the most complicated game they had ever played (before even starting play!). Just further proves how relative the "complexity rating" on BGG and the general "gaming community" perceptions are.

Another issue a lot of new players have is that they get their ships mixed up. Even if there are only two ships in their fleet and have different designs and have stern flags. Not really sure how to make it easier to tell the ships apart as I've never had that problem and don't know what else to do to make it easier for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xerecs

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Taught two relatives how to play yesterday; one of them almost immediately said it was the most complicated game they had ever played (before even starting play!). Just further proves how relative the "complexity rating" on BGG and the general "gaming community" perceptions are.

Another issue a lot of new players have is that they get their ships mixed up. Even if there are only two ships in their fleet and have different designs and have stern flags. Not really sure how to make it easier to tell the ships apart as I've never had that problem and don't know what else to do to make it easier for them.



Pirates is as complex or simple as you make it. Since we both have developed custom rule-sets we have a better grasp of it than complete newcomers, who've probably heard about it from us, and have a preconceived notion that the game is difficult. I would surmise that it's not difficult, but perhaps cumbersome to learn. XD

Huh, I've never had that happen to me. I've always been able to tell my ships apart like you. Perhaps a solution is to just ask why it's difficult for them to tell ships apart and go from there.
Back to top
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 6099

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
Taught two relatives how to play yesterday; one of them almost immediately said it was the most complicated game they had ever played (before even starting play!). Just further proves how relative the "complexity rating" on BGG and the general "gaming community" perceptions are.

Another issue a lot of new players have is that they get their ships mixed up. Even if there are only two ships in their fleet and have different designs and have stern flags. Not really sure how to make it easier to tell the ships apart as I've never had that problem and don't know what else to do to make it easier for them.



Pirates is as complex or simple as you make it. Since we both have developed custom rule-sets we have a better grasp of it than complete newcomers, who've probably heard about it from us, and have a preconceived notion that the game is difficult. I would surmise that it's not difficult, but perhaps cumbersome to learn. XD

Huh, I've never had that happen to me. I've always been able to tell my ships apart like you. Perhaps a solution is to just ask why it's difficult for them to tell ships apart and go from there.


Yeah, we essentially used the Start Here rules (along with boarding but no ram damage since I used my Basic Rules heh), but even those are still complicated for a lot of people. I literally said at the beginning that one of the biggest strengths of the game is its customizability - the game can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. But for people that have mainly played Monopoly and Uno (for example), even the simple stuff can be a lot. I actually think it's good that I start off by saying it can be simple or complex and everything in between - if I say it's easy to learn, they will think I lied to them almost as soon as we start! Laughing Better to "underpromise and overdeliver" in a way - then they have a chance to say "this isn't too bad", etc.

Do you know if your brothers have taught any of their friends? (excluding that Spanish player from the EE game)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xerecs

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote

No, I do not know if my brothers have taught any other people. There has been one other person we've showed the game to, giving him a Start Here rule sheet, and a full game Sheet. We've not heard back from him on whether or not he's interested, even though he punched out and successfully built a ship.

The Spanish player from the EE game is the person who is playing with us for the 2017 campaign, and he showed an extreme interest in the game after stumbling across one of the full game rules sheets we had lying around when he was visiting once. He took them home and next we heard he'd printed out the Pirate Code (pre-revision) and MLk and spent about $200 on some game packs from eBay.
Back to top
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 6099

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
No, I do not know if my brothers have taught any other people. There has been one other person we've showed the game to, giving him a Start Here rule sheet, and a full game Sheet. We've not heard back from him on whether or not he's interested, even though he punched out and successfully built a ship.


You could at least ask if he wants to play, wouldn't take too long to teach him the basics.

Quote:
The Spanish player from the EE game is the person who is playing with us for the 2017 campaign, and he showed an extreme interest in the game after stumbling across one of the full game rules sheets we had lying around when he was visiting once. He took them home and next we heard he'd printed out the Pirate Code (pre-revision) and MLk and spent about $200 on some game packs from eBay.


That's really cool. One problem I have had is that I'm not usually living with or near the people I teach. Some people graduated from college before me (shortening our time that we could play Pirates together), and now I'm out of college. Transitioning back and forth between "home" and campus, and now moving out sometime in the next 4 or so months (hopefully). Someday I'll probably have more locational stability (is that a phrase lol) and therefore will be more likely to have a consistent group. That said the new/changing environments is probably more conducive to teaching new people, since you can get stuck playing with the same people. (which most people are understandably fine with, I just have abnormal ambitions for this game to teach a lot of people and spread awareness rather than playing a bunch of games with the same people over and over again, unless of course it's a high-stakes tournament like T2 or an epic campaign game)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
repkosai
Avatar for repkosai
Expert
Expert


Joined: 31 May 2017
Posts: 104

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote

One of my oldest friends moved back into town a few months ago. We've had a bit of history getting each other into games over the years, and with him being in the navy & my interest in Pirates welling back up, it seemed like a no-brainer.

I took some packs over for him Memorial Day, and he was set from his first ship (had the same checklist number as the number of the ship he was previously stationed on). While we were talking & building, his nephew came in and found it intriguing. We didn't have time to play at all that day, but we're planning on getting together later this week and fairly regularly from that point on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 6099

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote

repkosai wrote:
One of my oldest friends moved back into town a few months ago. We've had a bit of history getting each other into games over the years, and with him being in the navy & my interest in Pirates welling back up, it seemed like a no-brainer.

I took some packs over for him Memorial Day, and he was set from his first ship (had the same checklist number as the number of the ship he was previously stationed on). While we were talking & building, his nephew came in and found it intriguing. We didn't have time to play at all that day, but we're planning on getting together later this week and fairly regularly from that point on.


This is fantastic!! Very Happy

So bizarrely ironic that the ship's number matched the one in the game! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
godmason
Avatar for godmason
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Oct 2015
Posts: 905

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote

repkosai wrote:
One of my oldest friends moved back into town a few months ago. We've had a bit of history getting each other into games over the years, and with him being in the navy & my interest in Pirates welling back up, it seemed like a no-brainer.

I took some packs over for him Memorial Day, and he was set from his first ship (had the same checklist number as the number of the ship he was previously stationed on). While we were talking & building, his nephew came in and found it intriguing. We didn't have time to play at all that day, but we're planning on getting together later this week and fairly regularly from that point on.
Nice! What ship was it that he unwrapped, if you can recall? Part of me thinks he may use it as one of his favorites just because of the number.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
repkosai
Avatar for repkosai
Expert
Expert


Joined: 31 May 2017
Posts: 104

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote

It was the Swamp Fox . He even pulled George Washington LeBeaux , which is the first time I've seen a ship pulled with the linking crew from the same pack.

Incidentally, he pulled two copies of the Selkie , and gave one to his nephew for helping him build. Now they can have a bit of a mirror-match in that particular ship whenever they play!

He did jokingly say he wants to run a fleet of just Swamp Foxes. After pointing out the 'no duplicates' rule, I jested that an acception might be made... if I could track down & run the other five incarnations of the Morning Star...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
[Total forum time spent: 0.0974 seconds]