main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Hello All. Just Starting the Game, Ideas?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starpirate93

Canceled user

Subject: Hello All. Just Starting the Game, Ideas?   PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote

Hey everybody. So I just joined the forum here and I was looking through the threads and couldn't find a guide to a bigger game. My group has six players and we want to do 200 points each, is this technically not a real game than?

Per the rules it's supposed to be forty points, and a few guys are thinking that this scale would through the balance of things of. Like normally 10 points is very important as it's a 1/4 of your fleet, but with 200 it wouldn't matter much.

Any thoughts on this? Btw we have been playing for 5 years now so we know all the basics.

Thanks[/width]
repkosai
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote

Hi. Glad to hear you've got a group interested in such a large scale (lately, I'm lucky to get a quick 60 pt game going). A7xfanben did a wonderful guide to preparation for a large-scale game here, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of useful info in it. As for myself, about the only thing I could offer is that, in the case of players with smaller collections in a bigger game, I usually offer a 'hire sheet' of generic crew, so they can optimize what ships they have.

I'm sure there are others on the forum who could speak with more experience on the subject, but as far as the game goes, as long as the players are in agreement, I'd say it more than qualifies as a game.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 am Reply with quote

repkosai wrote:
A7xfanben did a wonderful guide to preparation for a large-scale game here, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of useful info in it. As for myself, about the only thing I could offer is that, in the case of players with smaller collections in a bigger game, I usually offer a 'hire sheet' of generic crew, so they can optimize what ships they have.

Very Happy Thanks for saying that, that's exactly what I was going to link to!

Since you're posting from the same IP address as wantkrakens, I assume you're part of his game group and possibly even another sibling of his? XD Seems like he'd be able to guide you along since he clearly plays games in the trillions of points on a regular basis.
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote

The game was generally designed to be flexible on points costs. Sometimes an ability might need to be adjusted in house rules (Eternal doesn't work well in deathmatches). But a 200 point game is certainly a real enough game, I think the rules mention 40 points is only a recommendation anyways.

It is when you change other rules and victory conditions, that you need to consider what abilities break the game, and how to change them. I can't think of anything a large game like that necessarily breaks, at least
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote

40 points is just a recommendation, though I'd try a few games around that size (50, maybe) just so everyone can get used to the rules again before you go for a bigger game like 200. I picked the game up again after years of not playing it, and couldn't remember many of the rules. Just a suggestion.
starpirate93

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
40 points is just a recommendation, though I'd try a few games around that size (50, maybe) just so everyone can get used to the rules again before you go for a bigger game like 200. I picked the game up again after years of not playing it, and couldn't remember many of the rules. Just a suggestion.

Yeah that sounds good.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: