main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
The World Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Grand Update   PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Congratulations on updating the module! I'm looking forward to your epic game.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote

Got the updated version now, though the welcome menu tells me I should update to the new version. Everything works fine as far as I can tell, but how would I update to the new version ben?

Also can we get Sea Monsters? Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Got the updated version now, though the welcome menu tells me I should update to the new version. Everything works fine as far as I can tell, but how would I update to the new version ben?

Since I edited the module I never had to update - I just saved it over the original module so it was a seamless transition for me. I'm not completely sure what you mean. By everything works fine, you mean you can make army units and whatnot correct?

It might actually be VASSAL itself. A new version (3.2.16) was released at the beginning of April, which we didn't need for CG1 or anything else. I've done all the module editing in the past week, with a new computer and therefore the latest VASSAL version. You may be able to update within what you already have, but beyond that there's no harm in just downloading the new version.

Quote:
Also can we get Sea Monsters? Very Happy

Well, I've done quite a lot already. Sea monsters will not be a part of the World game, and they're rather silly. You seem to be quite passionate about them, so maybe that could transfer to editing them in. I've sent you everything you'd need.

@All: If anyone else wants to edit the module to create their own version or whatever, PM me your email address (since it won't let me put my email address here) and I can forward you B.J.'s emails and the file he left off on.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote

I was able to make army units appear, and load the giant ocean. I don't think it's going to be a problem. I'll look into module updates some other time since everything seems to be working.

I'll take a look at those editing files when I have a chance. I'm thinking about monsters for when I'm no longer able to have annual campaign games in a physical form.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: The most anticipated game ever   PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote

Great and big news!

Xerecs and I have agreed to start the World game in the beginning of August, a whole month ahead of schedule! Very Happy

We could not be more excited! Cue music

There are a few edits to the ruleset that I hope to post and edit in tomorrow. From there, we look ahead to minor module edits and creating the epic map! Shocked
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote

Additions to the ruleset
These have been added to the first post.

Errata
Duplicates rule
-Jade Rebellion is the only faction that can have duplicate 10 masters (still following the duplicates rule, and only the Baochuan) (Zheng He first version is linked, then have other crew for future linked admirals)

-Non-historical factions (Hylia/Gallia/etc) are not available

Resources
These resource bonuses will not be applied until we are 20 turns into the game.

-If 10% or less of the islands produce the same resource, that resource is worth 1 more gold than usual.
-If 5% or less of the islands produce the same resource, that resource is worth 2 more gold than usual.

Upgrades
-Each additional HT shipyard costs 50 gold
-Factions can have more than 4 HT shipyards (max of 8?)

RISK
-Army units cannot move into a territory and explore it in the same turn. They must be given an explore action.
-For each faction’s army units, only every other territory can produce resources. (this may change)

-Mercenary army units can be hired at military ports for twice the usual cost of army units. (faction bonuses/minuses at the HT do not apply - Mercenary army units always cost 6 gold per unit)

Updated/New Mechanics
Government
Region Party: Favors having absolute control of a specific area (ex: the Mediterranean, Russia, etc)
Abilities: Roll two d6 and add their results. This number is the particular region the party is trying to control (refer to chart). Generally the higher the number, the more difficult it will be to control the region. There will be benefits for establishing and maintaining control of a region when the Region Party is in power.
-The cost of military ports are halved in the specific region. Any ships and army units not in the specific area get -1 to their cannon and combat rolls (only).

House Rules
-When an enemy ship comes within range of a fort's guns, that fort may fire ONE cannon.

~~~~~

3. Edit the module (July)
-Things to add: Various markers for the necessities of the ruleset (city halls, colonies, military ports, etc.), different island and terrain types (iceberg, lagoon, sandbar, etc.), units for the RISK pieces, hopefully 10 masters
-Utilize VASSAL Designer Guide and VASSAL forums (and possibly BGG forums) for help

Tomorrow is July 1st, and our checklist for July is essentially done! Very Happy

Here is our checklist for August: (now July)

4. Create the map (August)
-Look into having one landmass for each continent (trying to minimize lag/file size)
-Utilize Google Earth, Wikipedia, and other sources to maximize the number of locations
-Make the landmasses disproportionately small - we want a BIG Caribbean and Mediterranean!
-Much preferred and likely necessary: Location names permanently attached to each island/territory, as well as faint boundary lines marking territorial lines (OR use text boxes for islands and terrain, and implement a freehand drawing tool for territory boundaries) (some combination of both?)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote

After numerous experiments and asking at the VASSAL forums, it looks like we will not be able to use pictures of continents. They are simply too large for VASSAL to handle because of the pixel size and the limits of the module. As a result, I will be making the map using the individual island pieces. This is generally bad news because it may very well mean that the sheer number of terrain pieces could create additional lag. It may also mean that the landmasses will be shrunk even further than originally imagined, and therefore the entire map may be shrunk somewhat from its original pixel size of 140000 wide by 70000 high. Shocked

A minor but important update to the module: making the non-ocean tops and sides bigger. Now the top and bottom areas can accommodate up to 6 deckplates, while the sides can have 2. This will hopefully enable us to avoid putting deckplates in the ocean itself, even when the game size reaches astronomical levels.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Map creation has begun. Using individual islands, the main landmass of North America is done, as well as Central America/Isthmus of Panama. Today I will create South America. However, as stated in my previous post, the map size has been cut in half to reduce lag and make the game playable. The ocean is now 70000 pixels wide by 35000 pixels high.

A word of caution: The map is going to look absolutely ridiculous when finished. The realism of the game will be SEVERELY hampered, with the landmasses of continents disproportionately shrunk to prevent lag and to make the oceans and seas a decent scale. Also, I will likely experience lag before I even finish making the continents, which will lead to them being dramatically shrunk even further. This is all being done to minimize lag, because gameplay is the #1 goal by far. Essentially, disaster struck when I realized that pictures (even modified ones) could not make up the map, and now we have to make do with what we have. So, be prepared for amusement when the pictures of the map are finalized - the continents will be tiny and many land locations will be underrepresented. However, the naval aspects of the game will take up a ton of space, while the land warfare is simply a RISK affair, and therefore takes up minimal space (which is good at this point haha).

With the bad news out of the way, time for the good: Xerecs and I have decided upon a start date! The World Game will begin on Friday, August 5th 2016! Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Last night the important die rolls for player and faction turn order were made! As usual, I rolled a 1 for the player order, so I'll be going second overall. The player and faction turn order will change once in a while during the game, especially when Xerecs and I swap factions or a guest decides to join the game.

Order of play:

Xerecs' fleets:
1. French
2. Vikings
3. Barbary Corsairs
4. Spanish

a7xfanben's fleets:
5. Jade Rebellion
6. Dutch
7. English
8. Pirates

Xerecs' fleets are going in a quite random order; my southeast Asian fleets will bookend my turns, while my European factions will go back-to-back. Of course, this order won't last forever like the game itself will. Very Happy

Xerecs may be watching the start of the Olympics on 8/5, so we've moved the start date back to Saturday 8/6/2016.

Map creation is going slow as usual... due to lag and size issues, two maps (a primary map and an alternate/plan B) may evolve at the same time.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Additions to the ruleset
These have been added to the first post.

Errata
Modified abilities
"This ship may dock at an enemy home island and load one treasure. If able, she must leave on your next turn."
-Ships with this ability (and variations of it that let ships raid home islands) now have an additional ability: "This ship may shoot at ships docked at their home territories." The ship with the ability does not have to be docked at an opposing HT to use the ability, and HI raiding crew also gain the new ability.

Upgrades
-Crew cannot board a ship until it has been fully launched.

RISK
-Similar to the RISK rules for army unit movement, crew and politicians can move across land. A move action can be used to move through one adjacent territory at a time. Equipment can be carried by army units; one piece of equipment takes up one cargo space.

House Rules
-All ships must be hit twice in the same turn to eliminate one of their masts. This ability also applies to ships such as El Acorazado, whose ability now reads "four hits in the same turn are required to eliminate one of this ship's masts" (not necessarily the same shoot action). In some of the larger battles, this may become difficult to keep track of, in which case we will use the "same shoot action" rather than the "per turn" ruling.

Letter of Marque
Type: Equipment
Point Cost: 5
This ship may shoot at ships docked at their home territories.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote

I've had a TON of frustrating map issues over the past few weeks, so I can't guarantee the game will start by the end of Saturday. Especially since the game will likely never end, it'd be better to get it right from the start anyway than to rush it. However, I think I finally have the module where it needs to be, and map creation can go more smoothly now that I shouldn't have to restart all the time. It's been a rough process of late but the most epic game of all time will soon be underway! I'll post a link to the updated module in the VASSAL thread and eventually here once I'm satisfied with it.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote

The World game is scheduled to begin in a matter of hours! Let this time be known as the last moments you will ever experience that the World game is not technically ongoing! Very Happy

If you plan on watching or participating in the World game, go here to download the latest VASSAL module. With all of the territories being added it will probably take a few minutes to download.

I will not quite finish the map before the game begins, but I will be adding more islands and locations very soon. As a result, this is not the final map. However, without further ado, here is the World!

As mentioned previously, landmasses had to be shrunk dramatically, or else we would encounter unmanageable lag. The final ocean size is 100000 pixels wide by 50000 pixels high! Using a pixel to feet converter, this means the world map would be a whopping 87 feet wide by 43 feet high, easily making it the biggest ocean in the history of Pirates CSG!

Distribution of territories:
Territories per continent
North America: 9
South America: 8
Europe: 17
Africa: 13
Asia: 15
Australia: 5
Total: 67

Mexico and Honduras are considered part of North America, while Nicaragua and Panama are considered part of South America.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote

If anyone is wondering, no, the World game has not started yet. Crying or Very sad Xerecs wasn't available on the 6th and lately he's been having problems with the module, including lag. We're hoping to figure things out soon!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote

I've finished the World map!

Islands per area (not including territories):
Atlantic Ocean: 19
Caribbean: 28
Mediterranean: 11
Pacific Ocean: 37
Indian Ocean: 12
Arctic Ocean: 14 (this includes 2 islands in Hudson Bay)
Baltic Sea: 4
Total: 125 (130 including island territories)

a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:22 am Reply with quote

The good news is that we figured out what's causing the issues - Xerecs' computer is a little older and outdated than mine (mine was cheap but is a newer model), which is why he has lag and problems with the game blacking out or freezing up. The bad news is that this means the World game will likely not start until a better or different device can be found for him to play the game on. Sad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: